The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great! The world needs so much help.
Some people have dreams of winning the lottery and buying stuff. Meghan and Harry want to help others. Something she has wanted to do since a child. Kudos to her

'It's her job to be Harry's wife, not change the royal dynamic': Prince Charles' Hollywood polo pal Stefanie Powers, 77, unloads on Meghan and brands Andrew 'stupid' - but gushes about 'impeccable' Kate

Powers, who is best known for her leading role on the 80s sitcom Hart to Hart and currently splits her time between the UK, Los Angeles and Kenya, formed a close relationship with Prince Charles years ago through their mutual love of polo.

Speaking to The Daily Beast in an interview published Thursday, Powers revealed that she strongly disapproves of Charles' daughter-in-law Meghan.

22171368-7786545-image-a-181_1576186915520.jpg
The actress charged that the Duchess of Sussex has tried to turn the Royal Family into her own personal TV show, 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' 'The Adventures of Meghan in the Palace'.

'[Meghan] wants to be a star, which, I'm sorry, is not what she is supposed to be doing,' Powers said. 'Meghan's role is not about being a star.

'It's her job to be Harry's wife, not change the royal dynamic.'

Powers was far more complimentary when talking about other members of the Royal Family, calling Kate Middleton 'impeccable' and Prince Charles 'lovely and witty'
22175164-7786545-image-a-206_1576188911568.jpg
'Please, she's obviously not a great actress. She's not gotten into the role she has taken on.

'Grace Kelly did [when she married Prince Rainier of Monaco], but then she was Hollywood royalty—not a bit player in a minor television series.' :D

Her rant then shifted to other members of the Royal Family as she said: 'Britain is outstanding because of the Royal Family, and when a member of it misbehaves they shorten its viability.

'Prince Andrew is stupid. Both him and Harry have making fools of themselves in common.

'Kate [Middleton] is impeccable, she doesn't put a foot wrong.

22171360-7786545-image-a-185_1576186983661.jpg

Powers is seen playing polo with Prince Charles at the Suoni World Class Polo Day
'Look at Princess Anne. I love Princess Anne. I know her. She is sensational. She is her mother's daughter, totally committed to what she does. She has stepped back, and doesn't make a circus of life whenever she steps out. She's the real thing. She's kind of mischievous. She has a wicked twinkle.'

DailyMail

cool-animated-emoji.gif

Harsh but true.

o_O Who knew 'Jennifer' was a polo-playing pal of Prince Charlie?

There is no way the Duchess of Sussex is going to be happy just being Prince Harry’s wife she has much greater ambitions than that I think she wants to be a modern day Mother Theresa/Princess Diana with some Oprah media savvy public figure. I think she has world domination planned but whether she will succeed with the U.K press against her I don’t know. If the Duchess of Sussex followed the Duchess of Cambridge’s example with charitable work etc I think she would do great but I appreciate that their royal roles are very different with the Duchess of Cambridge becoming Queen one day.

I disagree with Ms. Powers I do not think any woman should just be a guys wife no matter who the guy is. Women should have their own careers, lives and interests and I think that is very important for a successful marriage/relationship.

C61BAD3B-2CF1-4A74-826D-1B89EB4A7B16.jpeg
Especially for @Laughing :D

Royal blue! Sophie Wessex looks elegant in an azure coat as she represents the Queen at The Sovereign's Parade at Sandhurst

22201924-7789277-image-a-14_1576243198808.jpg

The Countess of Wessex looked a vision in blue as she represented the Queen as the Reviewing Officer at The Sovereign’s Parade at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in Camberley today.

22201938-7789277-image-a-8_1576243156796.jpg

Sophie Wessex, 54, cut a stylish figure in a long light blue coat which featured belt detail, and a silver brooch as she arrived at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst today

...During her visit, Sophie will inspect the Parade and take the Salute, before addressing service personnel and guests and presenting awards, including the Sword of Honour, the International Award and The Queen's Medal.

22199738-0-image-a-35_1576238422699.jpg

The original Royal Military Academy (RMA) was established at Woolwich for the training of Artillery and Engineer officers in 1741. Pictured, officer Cadets during The Sovereign's Parade at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
DailyMail

The Countess of Wessex's speech at the Sovereign's Parade, Royal Military Academy Sandhurst

Published 13 December 2019

22201930-7789277-image-a-12_1576243194296.jpg
RoyalUK

C61BAD3B-2CF1-4A74-826D-1B89EB4A7B16.jpeg

Really elegant ensemble. Sophie is beautiful. I’ve thought there are some similarities to Diana in her.

So glad to see the BRF thread is back!!!

Really elegant ensemble. Sophie is beautiful. I’ve thought there are some similarities to Diana in her.

So glad to see the BRF thread is back!!!
Yes she does a wonderful job :)

Let's not forget not only did Diana & Fergie make a couple of ... faux pas :confused: & get slaughtered by the press so did Sophie.
But thru her dedication & loyalty to Her Maj she is now very well thought of by not only the 'public' but also by the Queen herself.

That is all down to Sophie, nobody forced her to put in all the effort to work at earning that respect. ;)

Frolics in the sun, a bride betrayed, and the end of a honeymoon with the press

WHEN HER camera shutter clicked on a boisterous sunny afternoon almost 11 years ago, Kara Noble could not have known that she was setting the fuse on a time bomb.

The "innocent" shot of an unknown PR girl frolicking with her exuberant boss in the back of a car finally exploded yesterday. The backlash to The Sun's publication of the topless photograph of Sophie Rhys-Jones a matter of weeks before her royal wedding was unprecedented in both its speed and ferocity.

The Independent

Sophie's choice words fuel Royal row

In the latest humiliation to strike the House of Windsor, the wife of Prince Edward has stepped aside as head of her public relations firm after admitting she made a series of unguarded remarks about members of the Royal Family and British politicians that ended up in print.

Globe & Mail

Queen outraged by Sophie comments

The Countess of Wessex has deeply upset the Queen after making a series of outrageous remarks about senior politicians and members of the Royal Family, The Mail on Sunday reveals today...

Senior courtiers said it was 'impossible to exaggerate' the scale of Sophie's blunder. Some openly questioned the very future of the 36-year-old Countess as a member of the Royal Family.

DailyMail

the-sun-sophie-rhysjones-topless-pictures-press-complaints-commission-video-id812776162
article-2564907-0CE92F7600000578-584_306x423.jpg
:D
38a10f1b1eb3cf2b3fc83e309497336a.jpg

Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Yes she does a wonderful job :)

Let's not forget not only did Diana & Fergie make a couple of ... faux pas :confused: & get slaughtered by the press so did Sophie.
But thru her dedication & loyalty to Her Maj she is now very well thought of by not only the 'public' but also by the Queen herself.

That is all down to Sophie, nobody forced her to put in all the effort to work at earning that respect. ;)

Frolics in the sun, a bride betrayed, and the end of a honeymoon with the press

WHEN HER camera shutter clicked on a boisterous sunny afternoon almost 11 years ago, Kara Noble could not have known that she was setting the fuse on a time bomb.

The "innocent" shot of an unknown PR girl frolicking with her exuberant boss in the back of a car finally exploded yesterday. The backlash to The Sun's publication of the topless photograph of Sophie Rhys-Jones a matter of weeks before her royal wedding was unprecedented in both its speed and ferocity.

The Independent

Sophie's choice words fuel Royal row

In the latest humiliation to strike the House of Windsor, the wife of Prince Edward has stepped aside as head of her public relations firm after admitting she made a series of unguarded remarks about members of the Royal Family and British politicians that ended up in print.

Globe & Mail

Queen outraged by Sophie comments

The Countess of Wessex has deeply upset the Queen after making a series of outrageous remarks about senior politicians and members of the Royal Family, The Mail on Sunday reveals today...

Senior courtiers said it was 'impossible to exaggerate' the scale of Sophie's blunder. Some openly questioned the very future of the 36-year-old Countess as a member of the Royal Family.

DailyMail

the-sun-sophie-rhysjones-topless-pictures-press-complaints-commission-video-id812776162
article-2564907-0CE92F7600000578-584_306x423.jpg
38a10f1b1eb3cf2b3fc83e309497336a.jpg

Sophie, Countess of Wessex

looks like “Meghan” could be substituted for “ Sophie” in many of the disparaging quotes

Diana, Sarah, Sophie, Kate, Meghan - they've ALL had the press hound them and dig up as much dirt as possible. Interesting that the men joining the royal family haven't had anywhere near as much stick, but then I suppose the blood family is more male dominated and the media (and the public) is much more interested in pretty ladies wearing sparkly crowns.

Anyway, we need to keep this thread nice and fluffy and full of Christmassy royalness, or it'll get shut down again. And no discussing sprouts (my fault). And there is an Epstein thread for Andrew.

Meanwhile, here's a headline I didn't anticipate!! I'm glad Charles is finally getting recognition for his environmental passions. Years ahead of time, he was.

Prince Charles invited a 13-year-old hedge layer to the Sandringham Estate to watch her work | Daily Mail Online

determined that the foundation, which will be launched in the New Year, will be one of the biggest and most successful philanthropic organisations in the world.

Having spent several years in small charities in remote countries, I've encountered what I call "The psychopathology of altruism". Charity is not always what it seems.

This statement quoted, above, tells me all I need to know.

This is blatant self-aggrandizement, couched in altruism. I've seen it over and over again.

Bill and Melinda Gates run a formidable foundation with many very strongly supported charities, mostly focused on heathcare. I don't see them bragging about theirs being the biggest and most successful philanthropic organization or name-dropping celebrity A-listers. Nor do I see them campaigning for the Nobel Peace Prize.

“Meghan feels that focusing on fundraising stateside will bring in tens of millions of dollars quickly.” The devil is in the details. The mission, the governance, the legality and validity of the projects, the control of the Board. The actual implementation and monitoring of the funds distribution.

I note the article does not specify at all the specific missions or targets of this proposed venture. It also name-drops Oprah and the Clooneys, already.

I'm appalled by the ruthless self-promotion I see in this announcement and it's superficial plan to become the trendy charity for celebrities and wanna-bes.

The psychopathology of altruism.

Last edited:
Having spent several years in small charities in remote countries, I've encountered what I call "The psychopathology of altruism". Charity is not always what it seems.

This statement quoted, above, tells me all I need to know.

This is blatant self-aggrandizement, couched in altruism. I've seen it over and over again.

<>

I'm appalled by the ruthless self-promotion I see in this announcement and it's superficial plan to become the trendy charity for celebrities and wanna-bes.

The psychopathology of altruism.

Just to be clear though, Meghan didn't actually say that, the newspaper and/or "a source" did.

It seems like what Harry and Meghan do is support causes started and maintained by locals.

There are people who have money and can make money . They can either use it for drugs and debauchery or they can use it for good.

Harry has money because of not such good reasons. He has not proven himself that way. But he can contribute because of who and what he is.

We shall see if what they do is started and run by locals.

I am glad Meghan and Harry are going to California for Christmas. It will be so much warmer, sunnier, and nicer. Rather than another "command performance" at Sandringham. Grey, cold, formal, rules, traditions....

One of the problems with H&M is trying to equivocate royalty and celebrity. Imo.

Harry, through no fault of his own, was born into his money and role as a royal.

I do agree that philanthropy / celebrity is a marketing tool. And extremely superficial.

When I think of Diana she grew into her purpose. And many years later through her journey she made a big impact.

These things are built over time.

Meghan was virtually an unknown before she met Harry.

She was just like most of us, working and doing good, every day.

Part of my problem is with social media. The superficial. And I don’t think H&M are fully aware of those pitfalls.

I am glad Meghan and Harry are going to California for Christmas. It will be so much warmer, sunnier, and nicer. Rather than another "command performance" at Sandringham. Grey, cold, formal, rules, traditions....
:D I'm not sure that's true, (at least not when they're out of 'public' view).

It is still Harry's, Archie's (& Meghan's now) family after all, however 'stuffy' we probably imagine it to be ;)

But there's no reason they shouldn't enjoy Christmas in Cali. if that's what they want, it'll be a bit of culture shock for Harry I bet :p

'They enjoy a bit of a giggle': Former aide to the Royal Household opens up about what Christmas at Sandringham is REALLY like - including charades and 'useful' presents

You might imagine that spending Christmas with the royal family is a rather formal affair.

But according to a former employee of the Royal Household, Alexandra Messervy, festivities are a lot of 'fun' at Sandringham House thanks to the royals not taking themselves too seriously...

'They enjoy a bit of a giggle, they have a tremendous sense of humour. They're great fans of charades.'

The royals follow the German tradition of exchanging gifts on Christmas Eve, but even this is a lighthearted affair.

'There's always the idea to give something useful or fun. They certainly would never have extravagant gifts,' she said.

'Possibly bigger rooms and maybe more house guests, but it really is very, very similar. Obviously they've got a lot of prestige, but it's fun.'

With a lot of family members on the guest list, fitting everyone in can be a squeeze but the Queen is careful not to have to many staff on duty over the festive season...

'But she's very mindful of the face that at Christmas everyone wants to be with their family, so she would never, ever want more people than she would need...

When questioned if everyone has to stop eating once the Queen has finished, Alexandra revealed that 'it’s generally recognised, :DThe Queen is not a fast eater and if someone was a particularly slow eater I’m quite sure that she would pace herself.'

DailyMail

o_OFor what it's worth, I think Doria would also be welcomed by the Queen at Sandringham for any (future) Christmas' as that is obviously a very important consideration for Meghan.

FESTIVE FEAST The Queen has a martini at Christmas and Prince Philip puts the star on top of the tree, documentary reveals

A Channel 5 documentary, Inside Sandringham: Holidaying with the Queen, has lifted the lid on Christmas with the royals.

"We all think it's a terribly formal, but really [the Royal Family] have a wonderful relaxed time at Sandringham like the rest of us," royal writer Richard Kay says...

CELEBRATIONS BEGIN WITH A MARTINI
rtr1pg41.jpg
According to the documentary, the celebrations begin on Christmas Eve when the Queen delivers a toast with a Martini. "I think the Queen likes a Martini, other people would rather have champagne,"
"Prince Philip isn't a great drinker, he always used to drink pale ale."
ss-130124-prince-philip-17-1.fit-760w.jpg
:rolleyes: Errrm? That's not "pale ale"
NINTCHDBPICT000449180576.jpg
The Sun

Inside Sandringham: Holidaying With The Queen on Channel 5
(1:56)
"Sandringham: The Queen at Christmas" reveals that the British family have a bit of fun during the holidays thanks to some "very strong" cocktails mixed by Prince Philip. The famous fam also allegedly exchange some super silly gifts on Christmas Eve.

Duchess of Sussex will use six-week sabbatical to plot US launch of her charity with Hollywood publicist

Duchess of Sussex is using her six-week sabbatical from her duties to plot the US launch of the Sussex Royal Foundation alongside her former Hollywood PR, it has emerged.

She is said to be in “work mode” and determined that the foundation, which will be launched in the New Year, will be one of the biggest and most successful philanthropic organisations in the world.

Sources confirmed that she had met with Keleigh Thomas Morgan, her former publicist and a partner at celebrity PR firm Sunshine Sachs, in recent weeks whilst in the US with Prince Harry, their son Archie and her mother, Doria Ragland.;)

She is said to be “taking the reins” on the forthcoming foundation launch and insisting on maintaining complete creative control...

Meanwhile, the Duchess is working to establish links with celebrity friends and supporters, who might be expected to include high profile stars such as Oprah Winfrey and George and Amal Clooney...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Tom Bradby, the ITV newsreader who interviewed the Sussexes during their recent tour of southern Africa, has revealed that he tried to educate the Duchess about Britain’s complex relationship with its royals.

The Telegraph

RSBM

What happened to stepping back, vulnerable, family time???

JMHO YMMV

If Christmas shopping and card writing is driving you crazy this year think yourself lucky you don’t have to buy as many as Her Majesty.

I've paid for a homeless person to have a Christmas dinner at a local shelter this year in lieu of sending loads of cards, though I have posted two to my elderly godparents because... tradition and oldness!

I gathered up all my left over Christmas cards and wrapping paper from previous years and will use it all up instead of buying more. I'll give a few cards out to people I'll actually see. It's all going to be a bit mismatched (which I'm not keen on!) but we can't continue littering up the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor