"The devil is beating his wife": Dialect maps document U.S.'s many linguistic divides

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Never been ***** faced, but I've been schnockered a time or two back in the day...perhaps lightly toasted...but only on one side.

Here we call being drunk "Drunker that Cuda Brown" the town drunk

Also another saying from the Yankees was "she has her shoes full"

Lol I love the Yankees and married a lovely man from the Bronx or Brooklyn anyway New York City. He had his own dialect. ... Are you talking to me? He was just so cute. MAY he always RIP. I will always love that man.

Sometimes his accent was challenging to understand. He would say "yo" a bunch

I've heard people refer to being drunk as being "full".

Also, my son's family would say (when they had to use the bathroom), "I gotta use it!" I'd be like, "Use WHAT?" :floorlaugh:

Oh yeah , and having sex was "doin' someone up" :what:

They were from Dyersburg, TN.

Ok a silly story that may bring some nostalgia ... When I was 3 or 4 my granpa was plowing the garden with a mule and he gave me a handful of corn seeds to plant as he worked the field. I made it thru 1and 1/2 rows before I tuckered out and put the rest of the seeds in one hole.

Needless to say in a week or so there was 1 and 1/2 rows of corn and a big ole bush at the end of the half row. Granpa laughed so hard. Lol

I think the term "tuckered out" is one of my favorite expressions.

Flicked off = flipped off?

How does that happen?

Also, my son's family would say (when they had to use the bathroom), "I gotta use it!" I'd be like, "Use WHAT?" :floorlaugh:

I will never be able to keep up with today's slang.

My sister (who lives 5 miles from me, and has lived near me all her life), has to get her "earl" changed in her car from time to time.

Where did that come from??

Where does slow goin' come from? As in, " This traffic sure is slow goin' '"

Very interesting. If I am pissed I'm mad as heck and not necessarily drunk.

So if I get drunk, then really mad...am I pissed pissed? Double pissed? Super pissed? Double rope pissed?

Pissed squared? Pissed cubed?

Wow! I'm a Memfus girl born and bred (or so they tell me), and a couple of these are new ones on me!:floorlaugh:

(Oh Lawdy Mercy, I thought "doin' someone up" was getting your hair done!")

In England, "taking the piss" means taking liberties at the expense of others, or being unreasonable in general.

I think I need to start taking notes.

ETA: Dang! Four posts in a row, dagnabbit, but I needed the amusing interlude, and I thank ya'll for it!

Wow! I'm a Memfus girl born and bred (or so they tell me), and a couple of these are new ones on me!:floorlaugh:

Don't ask anyone in my son's family to 'Do you up" if you want your hair done! You'll get more than you bargined for! Esp Uncle Ed when he's full! :floorlaugh:

I've had my hair whipped, but never done up!

Don't ask anyone in my son's family to 'Do you up" if you want your hair done! You'll get more than you bargined for! Esp Uncle Ed when he's full! :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

OK. That snort just downright hurt, dangit!

This is slang?!:eek:

No sugar. I meant doin someone up. To me that means an updo hairdo. Not having sex with someone as stated by another poster.

That is the slang I can't keep up with. To me crack still means a crack in a sidewalk or the road. Or cracking up at a joke.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watercolor611
Back