The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There’s a new Duggar on the way, but this time it’s not Michelle Duggar adding another to her brood of 18 children. Instead, it’s a grandchild expected by the oldest son and his wife of seven months.

The happy news was broken exclusively on TODAY Monday. Anna Keller Duggar learned she was pregnant on Feb. 2 and is due Oct. 12

Link:http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30156915/

In only 5 generations, they will have nearly 1.5 Million Duggars, if all of their children follow the same path as the parents.

In only 5 generations, they will have nearly 1.5 Million Duggars, if all of their children follow the same path as the parents.

Thus my only issue with the Duggars and their ilk. The human race has already stretched our resources nearly to the limit, if everyone were to follow a similar path we would completely destory the Earth in less than 5 generations. As to Christian values and morals... procreating at that rate sounds like gluttony to me.
Besides those points they ARE an amazing group and I admire how they keep it all running so smoothly and everyone does seem very happy and well adjusted.

I had hoped that Josh and Anna would wait before starting a family. They really hardly know each other. Their courtship seemed so quick; they waited until marriage to even kiss. I had hoped they would take at least a year to get to know one another before bringing a child into the mix.

Regardless, if they are like their TV personalities, I'm sure they'll make great parent.

If there are any large family members out there, or those who grew up in a household with 8 or more kids, can you share the good, bad and ugly about that situation to me?
jmo

Since I do come from a large familyof 8 children I have a little insight.
I was the youngest. For us, it was not good and in looking back all of the children did suffer because of the lack of many things. I do think my mother stuggled with some kind of depression, I don't know if it would have been that way if she wasn't overwhelmed with kids and the lack of money to provide for them. I think the older children did get more actual parental attention/guidance etc. by the time I came along that was pretty much all used up and I was left to figure things out on my own with no real rules to follow. By that time the older kids were leaving the home as soon as they could. I've always said "we were not the Waltons" As a child I know many of us did wish that we had been adopted out and in looking back, that would have been the best thing for us, it was not a happy home, however, anybody knowing us then would have thought we were happy because we all knew how to put on the act! That's why I just don't trust any family we see portrayed on tv, if they had pointed a camera at us back then, we would have all smiled and acted nice, but it would have been a whole other story when the cameras were off.

VB

Thus my only issue with the Duggars and their ilk. The human race has already stretched our resources nearly to the limit, if everyone were to follow a similar path we would completely destory the Earth in less than 5 generations. As to Christian values and morals... procreating at that rate sounds like gluttony to me.

I have to agree with this.

And every time someone writes or says, "But they support themselves financially" I have to ask: are they, their children or grandchildren never going to draw social security or unemployment benefits? Are they, their children or grandchildren never going to go to public school?

Hoppy

remember ladies... It's a uterus.. not a clown car.

HAAAAAHAAHHAHAHHAAA!!!!

I like the Duggars but it's getting kinda old.... enough already with the 14,000 babies....

I have to agree with this.

And every time someone writes or says, "But they support themselves financially" I have to ask: are they, their children or grandchildren never going to draw social security or unemployment benefits? Are they, their children or grandchildren never going to go to public school?

Hoppy

The Duggars or their offspring are very unlikely to have kids that attend public school.

And are you saying that giving a US citizen their basic rights and benefits as citizens is somehow indicative of them having to be supported? I don't care if they have one or 20 children, that is our due as legal, tax-paying citizens. They pay taxes just like you do. You're not paying for them any more than they're paying for you. They own a ton of property, and pay taxes accordingly. More than anyone with a single family home.

Nadya and her 14 kids have to be "supported." The Duggars do not. They aren't on Medicaid or WIC or in public housing. Heck, they even have made their own clothes. They shop at Albi with their own money. I don't begrudge them one cent of my tax dollars, but I do begrudge a two-child family that prefers to take more public assistance rather than work at McDonalds.

I don't watch the Duggars and there are really only two things that I wonder about with them. The first thing is having cameras on the family, it seems like it would be hard to be in the limelight and hard on the children. I prefer privacy, so I'm basing that on my personal feelings. My other "thing" is that having a family that large seems like the burden of the care of the littler ones is delegated to the older children (as mentioned before). It's just not a scenerio that worked out well in my own family, so it too is a "personal" feeling that I'm projecting onto people who seemingly cope well?

Their belief in being fruitful and multiply is their personal decision and it sounds as though they are a decent family. In reading about them here, I don't get the impression that they are in it for the money whereas Nadya claimed selective reduction wasn't an option for religious reasons. It's like Nadya talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I can't say that in regards to the Duggars.

I'm pretty opinionated it seems for someone who doesn't watch the show.:footinmouth:

Seems like they paddle their own canoe to me. I can think of many other reality show families with much more questionable motives....:waitasec:

I miss visiting the TV Without pity boards. The Jon and Kate thread was always imploding! :rolleyes:

Since I do come from a large familyof 8 children I have a little insight.
I was the youngest. For us, it was not good and in looking back all of the children did suffer because of the lack of many things. I do think my mother stuggled with some kind of depression, I don't know if it would have been that way if she wasn't overwhelmed with kids and the lack of money to provide for them. I think the older children did get more actual parental attention/guidance etc. by the time I came along that was pretty much all used up and I was left to figure things out on my own with no real rules to follow. By that time the older kids were leaving the home as soon as they could. I've always said "we were not the Waltons" As a child I know many of us did wish that we had been adopted out and in looking back, that would have been the best thing for us, it was not a happy home, however, anybody knowing us then would have thought we were happy because we all knew how to put on the act! That's why I just don't trust any family we see portrayed on tv, if they had pointed a camera at us back then, we would have all smiled and acted nice, but it would have been a whole other story when the cameras were off.

VB

A very few people can do large families well. Others, not so well. Of course, to be really fair, some people can't raise even one or two children well.

Still, the Duggars find their spiritual fulfillment in the mere act of procreating. Sure, they do a good job of making sure those children are fed and clothes and given some basic education, but the be all and end all for them seems to focus on the quantity of children.

That bothers me.

It reduces the special nature of each child born in that family into being a coincidence of birth. The fact that number is emphasized over the actual birth bothers me. They are most definitely not the worst parents around, but I don't find them worthy of hero status either.

Being able to carry to term healthy babies of large number is a biological gift, not a sign of character. The "quiverfull" philosophy tends to make it sound otherwise. I've belonged to churches in the past which had more of this philosophy, and just having a hysterectomy for medical reasons was condemned and vilified.

And to be fair, the Duggars are nothing like Octomom, who seems to be seriously mentally ill. Perhaps we need to ban Angelina Jolie from all magazine covers in the future!

I don't watch the Duggars and there are really only two things that I wonder about with them. The first thing is having cameras on the family, it seems like it would be hard to be in the limelight and hard on the children. I prefer privacy, so I'm basing that on my personal feelings. My other "thing" is that having a family that large seems like the burden of the care of the littler ones is delegated to the older children (as mentioned before). It's just not a scenerio that worked out well in my own family, so it too is a "personal" feeling that I'm projecting onto people who seemingly cope well?

Their belief in being fruitful and multiply is their personal decision and it sounds as though they are a decent family. In reading about them here, I don't get the impression that they are in it for the money whereas Nadya claimed selective reduction wasn't an option for religious reasons. It's like Nadya talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I can't say that in regards to the Duggars.

I'm pretty opinionated it seems for someone who doesn't watch the show.:footinmouth:

I watch the Duggars and I share your opinions!! They are a pretty decent family, IMO.

To each their own and I have never seen this show, but I find what I know about the Quiverful movement MORE than a little creepy.

I think that is kind of the point w the fundamentalists.And that means 1.5 million white republican voters in the future.(Their religion is against adoption,saying that children inherit the sins of their parents).
I don't dislike the Duggars,don't get me wrong.I'm just calling it as I see it.

I think that is kind of the point w the fundamentalists.And that means 1.5 million white republican voters in the future.(Their religion is against adoption,saying that children inherit the sins of their parents).
I don't dislike the Duggars,don't get me wrong.I'm just calling it as I see it.

Could you please point me to a written description of the Quiverfull movement as being against adoption, or the Duggar family being against adoption because of one verse of scripture in the Old Testament about the sins of the fathers being visited upon the children?

I would have to see this in writing to believe it. for one simple reason.
The biologically reproducing parents who are Quiverfull fundamentalists ALSO sin. All humans are imperfect sinners. Therefore, their 6,8,10, 14, 18 children are also subject to the same " Sins of the fathers" scripture, being conceived by a human father and mother.

Could you please point me to a written description of the Quiverfull movement as being against adoption, or the Duggar family being against adoption because of one verse of scripture in the Old Testament about the sins of the fathers being visited upon the children?

The biologically reproducing parents who are Quiverfull fundamentalists ALSO sin. All humans are imperfect sinners. Therefore, their 6,8,10, 14, 18 children are also subject to the same " Sins of the fathers" scripture, being conceived by a human father and mother.
sorry for the confusion,it's not QV in general,it's the specific teachings the Duggars follow that warns against adoption,saying the children inherit the sins of the parents.I'll search and BRB.
I totally agree,btw.

http://www.pfo.org/evol-fad.htm

this is one article about Bill Gothard,whom the Duggars follow and use his homeschooling materials to educate their kids.but it is by no means the only one.You can google Bill Gothard yourself and find many more.
a lot criticism about him includes beliefs that his views are far too legalistic, authoritarian and hypocritical,seeing as he does not believe in birth control but yet is not married nor has any children himself.He is also said to have been involved in a scandal about having had affairs with his secretaries in the past.

But again,I'm not putting the Duggars down,and I don't care to debate,I just wouldn't care to follow these teachings myself.Of course you can read about him and form your own opinions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back