The Forensic Investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Zappped,

I had the pleasure of speaking with one of our very prominent local reporters here today because he was interviewing me about an issue that took place on my college campus. AJ has been cremated, and the COD hasn't been determined yet because no matter what the COD, a toxicology report has to be completed to be sure that nothing is left out.

Did the reporter tell you their source? Was it LE?

This is taken directly from the Virginia Department of Health website.

"The legal next of kin should contact a funeral home or crematorium as soon as he or she learns of the death to make final arrangements and sign a written release giving the medical examiner’s office permission to release the body to the funeral home. Once the examination/investigation has been completed, the body will be released to the funeral home and arrangements can continue. In most cases the remains can be released within 24-48 hours of admittance unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as issues of identification."

"Death certificates are deemed to be pending when laboratory studies or investigations are needed to determine the cause and manner of death. Unfortunately, a time frame for when a specific case will be completed cannot be established. The circumstances of cases differ and each case is handled independently. Depending on circumstances, some cases can take more than 12 weeks to complete."

The full FAQ can be found here

Hi Zappped,

I had the pleasure of speaking with one of our very prominent local reporters here today because he was interviewing me about an issue that took place on my college campus. AJ has been cremated, and the COD hasn't been determined yet because no matter what the COD, a toxicology report has to be completed to be sure that nothing is left out.

With all due respect, I dont think that reporter knows what he or she is talking about.

Per the Va Department of Healths official website:

"Death certificates are deemed to be pending when laboratory studies or investigations are needed to determine the cause and manner of death."

How can you release a body to a funeral home without a death certificate?

This is taken directly from the Virginia Department of Health website.

"The legal next of kin should contact a funeral home or crematorium as soon as he or she learns of the death to make final arrangements and sign a written release giving the medical examiner’s office permission to release the body to the funeral home. Once the examination/investigation has been completed, the body will be released to the funeral home and arrangements can continue. In most cases the remains can be released within 24-48 hours of admittance unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as issues of identification."

"Death certificates are deemed to be pending when laboratory studies or investigations are needed to determine the cause and manner of death. Unfortunately, a time frame for when a specific case will be completed cannot be established. The circumstances of cases differ and each case is handled independently. Depending on circumstances, some cases can take more than 12 weeks to complete."

The full FAQ can be found here
I'm with you zapped, I find it very unusual that she would be cremated all ready. But stranger things have happened and maybe they do have COD just can't finalize until toxicology returns. I do know here in Delaware the Medical Examiner has to sign off and ok a cremation before it can happen. So maybe LE has a solid enough case and just wrapping up the small details.

Any time. I'm chock full of random info about archaeology, bone forensics, as well as the origins of zombies and vampire folklore [emoji12]
If there are marks in/on the bones, the forensic anthropologist can determine if they are from sharp object trauma, blunt object trauma, GS wounds and animal/vulture exposure.
Correct?
I'm also curious to know how or what they do to determine time or timeframe of death and if they were moved, AND if moved can they tell how many times moved post mortem?

ETA: and they can usually tell what type of an object/objects were used to cause the sharp/blunt trauma, correct?

I'm curious to know if they will they be able to tell if she was sexually assaulted. Would they be able to test for the presence of semen at that point of decomposition?

I was wondering the same thing.

I've never met an anthropologist that came to a conclusion without physically examining the remains. The only other reason to call in an anthro imo is to examine the dirt in which she was placed or buried. Soil composition is a great way to form a timeline. Changes in color and chemical makeup change in layers much like sediment in rocks.

Oh yes ...I forgot about soil testing ...hmmm...now that has me really thinking about something I saw....just can't recall where or what...

AS ALWAYS THIS IS JMO

If there are marks in/on the bones, the forensic anthropologist can determine if they are from sharp object trauma, blunt object trauma, GS wounds and animal/vulture exposure.
Correct?
I'm also curious to know how or what they do to determine time or timeframe of death and if they were moved, AND if moved can they tell how many times moved post mortem?

ETA: and they can usually tell what type of an object/objects were used to cause the sharp/blunt trauma, correct?

Absolutely. Blunt-force (Hammer, shovel, lamp, etc), sharp-force (knife or other sharp object), and ballistic (gunshot) can all be seen in bones. Bones are a lot like furniture. They're very hard and stable but they do receive scuffs and scratches from trauma. Forensic anthropologists can tell if these occurred antemortem (before the crime), perimortem (at the time), or postmortem (after death).

There are a number of ways you can get a timeline too. One way is soil composition. The other is entomology (study of insects). Insects have a certain lifespan and evolution that is rather fast. Larvae--->adult can create a timeline. Certain insects come out during certain types of weather too.

They can also tell what kind of trauma attached the insects. There are some insects that are blood-thirstier than others (sorry for graphicness)

**sorry never answered your question about what type of object - YES. A serrated knife will leave a serrated mark. It's seen very often with saws. It will match the object.

JMO ...Do you think this possible object might have been where they found the body or possibly closer to her home that she was taken from ? .....or located with any of the possibly planted/found evidence ? Would they be able to tell if soil was found on her or said object exactly what yard or area ? >>>>Just wundrng no speculation

My Opinion Only and I say this without a thorough theory, (yet) She wasn't found "in soil", she was on a concrete slab. I don't recall the exact temperatures there during the month she was unaccounted for, but, being frozen and then warmed up can deteriorate bone fast. If you recall HG was found in woody damp area and I'm sure the insects are going to be different and different rates than where AJ was found. I am skeptical about a pesticide or some other chemical that could have been poured on her to accelerate decomp and ruin (potentially) DNA.
Didn't that neighbor out on Smith's Ferry say it was only in the past week (prior to 4/9/2015) that he had seen the vultures?
It just seems to me that IF this was a simple GS wound the ME would have DX it at that without further info from and Anthropologist.
It is my belief there is something there that has LE and the ME stumped.

With the forensic anthropologist being called in, they might be looking for more than just HOW, but WHEN and WHERE.

JMO.

Not sure an anthropologist would be the one to determine manner of death? Jmo

I am still looking for a home for the questions I have regarding ruling people out. Have there been polys administered, DNA samples taken, fingerprints, cellphones collected, computers collected? I would think that investigators have requested samples from many of those closest to AJ.

She was missing for 38 days-obviously they need to determine when she died.

I think that a forensic anthropologist might come into play if her remains were disarticulated maybe from animal activity? (So sorry to be so graphic.)

I wonder if bringing one in indicates that COD was not obvious?

I checked on the FB pages today and read the chatter about cremation-I will check again. My recollection is that it wasnt true, but I will see what I can find.

I am still looking for a home for the questions I have regarding ruling people out. Have there been polys administered, DNA samples taken, fingerprints, cellphones collected, computers collected? I would think that investigators have requested samples from many of those closest to AJ.
Ahhhh, there was something in MSM about 15? search warrants, but they are sealed. We had quite a discussion list of possible targets of those warrants. Can someone provide a link??

Not sure an anthropologist would be the one to determine manner of death? Jmo
My recollection from the Laura Ackerson/Grant Hayes case in NC was the ME brought in an FA because the remains were dismembered and dumped in an alligator infested creek. The FA provided a report to the ME, who then issued the COD/MOD.

I guess we don't know yet whether or not LE found forensic evidence in the house, the hotel room, the work van, or the red truck. If they found evidence in the house or hotel room, wouldn't it have been treated as a crime scene and reported on? Also, would LE have released the truck or van after collecting evidence, if any?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back