The Jury Hangs - Justice Delayed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WRAL just announced JY's trial set for a date in October. Judge Stephens also set a $900,000 secured bond.

From WRAL web page:
Breaking News: Wake County prosecutors announced Wednesday that they will re-try Jason Young, a Raleigh man whose murder trial ended last month with a deadlocked jury. Young is accused of first-degree murder in the 2006 beating death of his pregnant wife, Michelle Young.

More info:
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/9884266/

Yes, yes, yes!! Hopefully with a new prosecutor added to the line up.
I hope and pray they do not lower his bail because I want him to spend each day waiting for the next go-round in that little jail cell.

Will this hearing be broadcast online?

I sure hope so. Since there may be even more interest in this case due to the hung jury the first time I feel that WRAL will stream it live. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm so mad he got a bond! Please get a new DA to try the case, PLEASE.

NC - Cheyenne Yarley (Joshua Stepp on trial for murder/sex offenses) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

It's under the "trials" forum. Probably should have been currently awaiting, but I don't know how to move it.

Great work, BrownRice - They're picking a jury now, so seems to me that you placed it in just the right spot!
icon12.gif

I sure hope so. Since there may be even more interest in this case due to the hung jury the first time I feel that WRAL will stream it live. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We should all write to in session and get them interested. I like listening to what The legal analysts have to say.

It's sad to say, but husband murdering wife and denying it is an all too common crime nowadays. Unless there's some unique angle to it, the national media tends to ignore the majority of these cases until they want to do a newsmagazine type special on it.

Oops, I see. I just read the article. It said that Howard Cummings might help, for those of us who don't live in the area, who is that and is he good, aka tough??

Oops, I see. I just read the article. It said that Howard Cummings might help, for those of us who don't live in the area, who is that and is he good, aka tough??

Howard Cummings is probably a great guy. He was a primary ADA in the Brad Cooper trial and he drove me completely insane. He is oldish--I'm probably older than he--but he acts old, talks old, moves old. He is so slow, he never has his questions prepared properly so that he can shoot them out without using way too many hms, ers, ahhs, etc. He is the number one ADA right under C. W. in the Wake Co. DA's office--been there a long time. He probably has a great legal mind but his delivery in the courtroom is unbearable to me. Just my humble opinion.

Howard Cummings is probably a great guy. He was a primary ADA in the Brad Cooper trial and he drove me completely insane. He is oldish--I'm probably older than he--but he acts old, talks old, moves old. He is so slow, he never has his questions prepared properly so that he can shoot them out without using way too many hms, ers, ahhs, etc. He is the number one ADA right under C. W. in the Wake Co. DA's office--been there a long time. He probably has a great legal mind but his delivery in the courtroom is unbearable to me. Just my humble opinion.

Well, all I can say is that he was in on the Cooper conviction, and that case had much less evidence (of course 1st chair for the DT in Cooper was not as good -- not even close, IMO -- as 1st chair in Young.) Maybe someone in the ADAs office will speak to him about his slowness -- but Holt wouldn't be my candidate to do it -- again IMHO.... HC was in the courtroom during most of the Young trial, so that should be a help, I hope... They really don't need to, and shouldn't, lose this one AGAIN... Mulligans in a courtroom are very rare, and they know it. :banghead:

Well, all I can say is that he was in on the Cooper conviction, and that case had much less evidence (of course 1st chair for the DT in Cooper was not as good -- not even close, IMO -- as 1st chair in Young.) Maybe someone in the ADAs office will speak to him about his slowness -- but Holt wouldn't be my candidate to do it -- again IMHO.... HC was in the courtroom during most of the Young trial, so that should be a help, I hope... They really don't need to, and shouldn't, lose this one AGAIN... Mulligans in a courtroom are very rare, and they know it. :banghead:

I remember seeing him in the courtroom many times during the Young trial and I can only pray that if he does, indeed, become a major player in the retrial he will bring his obvious long term experience and a few tricks with him. However, they need somebody with fire in their belly and he sorely lacks that. I honestly think watching the Anthony trial with LDB and JA prosecuting has truly spoiled me as they were so much more than excellent. BH's points may have been good during the first Young trial but they were lost in her demeanor and lack of passion/enthusiasm. I feel awful talking about these people as I'm certain they are wonderful individuals but it was so easy to see where the DA's deficits were during the first trial and I hope they can overcome them for the second.

I remember seeing him in the courtroom many times during the Young trial and I can only pray that if he does, indeed, become a major player in the retrial he will bring his obvious long term experience and a few tricks with him. However, they need somebody with fire in their belly and he sorely lacks that. I honestly think watching the Anthony trial with LDB and JA prosecuting has truly spoiled me as they were so much more than excellent. BH's points may have been good during the first Young trial but they were lost in her demeanor and lack of passion/enthusiasm. I feel awful talking about these people as I'm certain they are wonderful individuals but it was so easy to see where the DA's deficits were during the first trial and I hope they can overcome them for the second.

ITA -- They need a double-shot of belly fire, but sadly, like you, I'm not sure it's there. Saacks is our best bet -- he can fire questions at 'em pretty well, and he doesn't have the ahh-umm affliction. Surely, Shirley, they know that they need to add some teeth & hair into this one. The DT is too good for them to do same ol' same ol.'

ITA -- They need a double-shot of belly fire, but sadly, like you, I'm not sure it's there. Saacks is our best bet -- he can fire questions at 'em pretty well, and he doesn't have the ahh-umm affliction. Surely, Shirley, they know that they need to add some teeth & hair into this one. The DT is too good for them to do same ol' same ol.'

Hey there borndem :great:

I think I about had a happy heart attack when they announced the retrial. Yay yay! Now, I can only hope that my letter got to them and they took it seriously. I am no jokester when it comes to jason young. Grrrrrr. I thinks it was a wise decision to keep BH on, as she is informed about the situation... If nothing else. Her delivery is OFF, way OFF, but at least she was present at the last trial and is knowledgeable about the events. Hopefully they can boot her to second chair to keep the fire Saacks had. Will Stevens preside again? It is so very tempting to schedule a "vacay" during that time and come down to watch JLY get cuffed for good. I think the only reason they'd paid the 10 % bond is to buy him his last 3 months of freedom. These attorneys better be taking night classes on. Jury selection... The 8ng opinions were very unsettling for me. I think they oughta ask what the prospective jurors think reasonable doubt means. Or something of the sort... Let's hope for some more JLY "tears" ... Only off the stand, in custody, and more watery this time. :woohoo:

Hey there borndem :great:

I think I about had a happy heart attack when they announced the retrial. Yay yay! Now, I can only hope that my letter got to them and they took it seriously. I am no jokester when it comes to jason young. Grrrrrr. I thinks it was a wise decision to keep BH on, as she is informed about the situation... If nothing else. Her delivery is OFF, way OFF, but at least she was present at the last trial and is knowledgeable about the events. Hopefully they can boot her to second chair to keep the fire Saacks had. Will Stevens preside again? It is so very tempting to schedule a "vacay" during that time and come down to watch JLY get cuffed for good. I think the only reason they'd paid the 10 % bond is to buy him his last 3 months of freedom. These attorneys better be taking night classes on. Jury selection... The 8ng opinions were very unsettling for me. I think they oughta ask what the prospective jurors think reasonable doubt means. Or something of the sort... Let's hope for some more JLY "tears" ... Only off the stand, in custody, and more watery this time. :woohoo:

Hi back to you, Co-inky -

Yes, ITA - Best case scenario based on what-we-got-to-work-with: Saacks, 1st, Holt 2nd and HC third. I still say HC is smart, and a bit sneaky in his own way, but we -- as you & I say must happen -- need a flame-thrower up there at times... Not every time, but a bit of soft-spoken stuff, a little sashay, and then a dart to the heart. Just keep 'em off guard & make 'em worry, fret & sweat. And they need to take more time with things this time (I still wonder if they were rushed by JS or if their planning was just not that thorough) -- and now their dept budget has been cut, and cut fairly noticeably. This is a big county, and we have a lot of bad dudes & dudettes. And I definitely think JS will be presiding -- it was certainly considered a "done deal" in the homicide status hearing.

Co-dink -- What did you manage to send the folks at the Court House? What was in the letter? And it sounds like you haven't heard from them about it... I don't know how they are supposed to handle it -- acknowledgement or not ??? If you gave details about the letter, I missed the news flash... I'd sure like to know, and my hat is off to you, and we owe you...
icon12.gif

I also watched the hearing when they were trying to schedule the Jason Williford trial, and it's, as you probably know, scheduled for March.... AND it's a capital case.... That's the one that has my passion and wa-a-a-ay biggest interest since I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood some years before the Taft burglary/rape/murder occurred, lived in the same area, and had met and talked with Taft, though not a friendship, but more in passing... Very classy, intelligent, "regular folks," and serious about education... And it looks like JS will hear that one, too.

Keep the faith, Coinky... :sunshine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member