UK The Mystery of 'Bible John,' Scotland's Zodiac Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I''m part way through listening to the BBC podcast series on this and from what I've heard so far the biblical connection really does not sound very strong. Unless I've missed something it seems to be based on him being asked about if he supported Rangers or Celtic and he apparently said "neither, I'm agnostic". Given the religious aspects around football in Glasgow it's a comment anyone not into the footie might have made.
From my memory, did he not follow that up with a detailed quote from scripture in response to being asked if being agnostic was the same as being an atheist?

From my memory, did he not follow that up with a detailed quote from scripture in response to being asked if being agnostic was the same as being an atheist?
As I said, it's possible I've missed something, I'm mainly going on the BBC podcast and I don't recall that detail being mentioned.

As I said, it's possible I've missed something, I'm mainly going on the BBC podcast and I don't recall that detail being mentioned.
"and he had been a polite and well-spoken individual,[38] having frequently quoted from the Old Testament during the trio's taxi ride home, while also indicating he was neither Catholic nor Protestant.[36]"

I'm directly linking a Wikipedia article, which I am loathe to do as a sole source, but it does reference back to valid source material: Day, Jeremy (1995). Ultimate Crimes: The Hunt Goes On for Bible John. London, England: Nexus Media.

"and he had been a polite and well-spoken individual,[38] having frequently quoted from the Old Testament during the trio's taxi ride home, while also indicating he was neither Catholic nor Protestant.[36]"

I'm directly linking a Wikipedia article, which I am loathe to do as a sole source, but it does reference back to valid source material: Day, Jeremy (1995). Ultimate Crimes: The Hunt Goes On for Bible John. London, England: Nexus Media.
That's interesting, thanks. Having listened to all the BBC podcast, (my only main source of info on this case I have to admit) including the fairly lengthy interview with Helen Puttocks's sister who was in the taxi, I can only recall the football/atheist reference.

A
That's interesting, thanks. Having listened to all the BBC podcast, (my only main source of info on this case I have to admit) including the fairly lengthy interview with Helen Puttocks's sister who was in the taxi, I can only recall the football/atheist reference.
All good. I vaguely remember a documentary (youtube??) that fleshed it out a little more too, but it seems to have stuck regardless of what was actually said during the taxi ride...

By Norman Silvester Keiran FlemingReporter , 1 JUL 2024
''The great-granddaughter of Bible John victim Jemima MacDonald has welcomed the police investigation into a new suspect.

Sammy Mottley revealed that her family are hopeful detectives will uncover new evidence about former printer John Templeton, who was linked to one case through DNA.''

''Sammy, 31, was left stunned when she saw the picture of Templeton, named by author Jill Bavin-Mizzi as Helen’s possible killer, alongside the police drawing of Bible John.
She said: “The likeness is unreal. They look the same person. I’m blown away. It sent shivers down my spine.''

If they had his actual name and likeness... what kind of alibi did he produce, for them to rule him out I wonder? Was Helen Puttock's sister never asked if she could identify him? It's mind boggling that he was allowed to slip away if he truly was responsible for at least some of the murders.

I always thought the religious remark was a red herring. I can't remember what was said now, but it sounded like a joke to me... the sort of thing many Glaswegians might have said in jest.

Agreed. If it was really him this has got to be the mother of all LE blunders....probably hundreds of thousands of working hours were spent on this case over decades and they couldnt nail him after he gave his real name and looked like a dead ringer for the sketch?!

I wonder when the John Templeton reference from the Taxi ride by Helen's sister was made public for the first time? Was it back in the day or much later? If it had been back in the day, how come none of his family and friends suspected him? Or maybe they did and noone followed up

I remain skeptical, but DNA does not lie.

By Norman Silvester Keiran FlemingReporter , 1 JUL 2024
''The great-granddaughter of Bible John victim Jemima MacDonald has welcomed the police investigation into a new suspect.

Sammy Mottley revealed that her family are hopeful detectives will uncover new evidence about former printer John Templeton, who was linked to one case through DNA.''

''Sammy, 31, was left stunned when she saw the picture of Templeton, named by author Jill Bavin-Mizzi as Helen’s possible killer, alongside the police drawing of Bible John.
She said: “The likeness is unreal. They look the same person. I’m blown away. It sent shivers down my spine.''

Agreed. If it was really him this has got to be the mother of all LE blunders....probably hundreds of thousands of working hours were spent on this case over decades and they couldnt nail him after he gave his real name and looked like a dead ringer for the sketch?!

I wonder when the John Templeton reference from the Taxi ride by Helen's sister was made public for the first time? Was it back in the day or much later? If it had been back in the day, how come none of his family and friends suspected him? Or maybe they did and noone followed up

I remain skeptical, but DNA does not lie.

Seem to be some real parallels here with the investigation that the journalist Samantha Poling did on the Emma Caldwell case which also highlighted some serious failings within the Glasgow police. In that case too they had spent a fortune investigating the Turkish cafe and so seemed reluctant to change track after that despite overwhelming evidence implicating Packer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chloerock
Back