The mystery of the headless goats in the Chattahoochee River

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

peachstatesleuth

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an Atlanta-based content producer interested in further exploring a particularly grisly and perplexing case...

In recent years, Georgia’s Chattahoochee River has become an unusual dumping ground: hundreds of headless goats have been discovered floating in its murky waters. The source of the decapitated livestock remains a mystery, with theories ranging from folk religious rituals to drug cartel activity.

I invite you to read the New Yorker article by Charles Bethea on this topic. I'm collaborating with Charles, who's also based in Atlanta, to potentially expand upon his work to dive deeper into this mystery—and hopefully get to the bottom of it once and for all.

We would greatly appreciate any leads, insights, etc. on this case. Thank you.

Interesting read! I love goats so much. This is terrible! I wonder what's going on. Where are they getting so many goats from? Is there any way to trace the origin of the goats to find out who's buying them? I don't know much about Santeria but it seems like a lot of goats in a small area. That would be a lot of sacrifices. MOO. I'm off to the rabbit hole to see what more I can find.

That is the most bizarre thing ever. That many headless goats being dumped in the river? Someone needs to create a spreadsheet and begin tracking the numbers and dates to look for patterns.

Where breed are they? All different ages? Male and female? Dumped at all different times of day and night? Are they raising them somewhere I wonder? Have you talked to auction houses and breeders to see if someone is buying multiples on a regular basis? Have you thought about visiting hispanic markets to ask where they buy their meat?

I need to ponder this more, I’ll ask some of my guys at work what they think.

Moo...would make more sense if it was goat heads being found. Maybe a disease ran thru a herd and owner culled them?...moo

Moo...would make more sense if it was goat heads being found. Maybe a disease ran thru a herd and owner culled them?...moo
But they are fresh and the dumping has been happening over a year. That would be a long culling period? Why not bury or burn?

The religious/ sacrificial purpose is the only thing that makes sense. Goat meat has value, why throw it in a river. I’m in California, we’ve been invited to many employee celebrations where chivo is served. It costs $250 for a whole goat. Most buy live and butcher themselves.

Last edited:
I would rather ask what do they do to the heads? Use them for rituals, as in Goya's paintings, or need their brains? BTW, scrapie (akin to mad cow disease) affects goats.

Center for disease control has to be notified.

Moo...cleaned skulls can be sold. Knowing the sex, age and breed of bodies, would be very useful information..moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back