The ransom note & Patsy Ramsey, letter by letter.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Did Patsy write the ransom note?

• Yes, Patsy wrote the note

Votes: 289 91.2%
  • No, Patsy did not write the note

Votes: 28 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were no fingerprints (nothing defined anyway) on the ransom note except for a detective's who was working the case.

You'd think that PR's and JR's fingerprints would be all over the note. And if it were me, my DNA from crying hysterically would be impossible to miss forensically.

Sorry to be a downer again, but after 16 years, if we don't know what SBTC means, it either doesn't mean anything or someone has already solved it and we either weren't convinced or didn't think it mattered enough to be of any benefit to the case.

It could be as meaningless as "somebody beat the child"...in my opinion, it's irrelevant now.

The whole note is made up.

The SBTC at this stage in the case isn't going to bust anything open or give us the missing piece to the puzzle.

The formation of the letters and the phraseology is what is going to help.

I wonder if S.B.T.C is something that JB brought home from Church. This interview made me think of that....

SCOTT: Did JonBenet understand anything about God?

PATSY: Very much!

JOHN: She was … (starts to cry) … amazing.

PATSY: She was a participant in the Episcopal church, where I learned about the healing. That was called Cathechesis of the Good Shepherd. And it was a learning environment like the Montesorri style of learning, it was for preschoolers. JonBenet took it when she was about 5 or 6 years old. It was an environment where they learned about the Last Supper. They had a little mustard seed where they would learn about faith. They had a little corner of the room where they learned about baptism and christening, and JonBenet's christening gown was a part of that display. They learned about David and they learned about the Apostles. They polished the silver chalice, and they learned about the colors of Advent and Lent and all of that.

They learned about prayer, and they would have a prayer time in a prayer circle. I have this vivid recollection, this picture in my mind of JonBenet, blowing out this candle. She is kneeling in front of the pint-size altar, blowing out her candle and watching the smoke rise. She would tell me that that is her prayer going up to heaven. She was very spiritual.

http://www.cbn.com/700club/scottross/interviews/jonbenet2.aspx

I wonder if S.B.T.C is something that JB brought home from Church. This interview made me think of that....

(snipped for brevity)

http://www.cbn.com/700club/scottross/interviews/jonbenet2.aspx
Wow, illumin8ted, a member for two years and you just now speak up for the first time? Welcome to the fray. You very well could be correct (and thank you for the snippet from that interview). Most people seem to think the SBTC may have been Saved By The Cross. I tend to agree more with wonderllama that its exact meaning is irrelevant at this point because we will never know with certainty what the author meant (since she is dead). It could have been something as insignificant as the letters she saw on the phone book (Southwestern Bell Telephone Company) while she was writing it that she just threw in to add to the mystery. We'll never know. But don't be shy about posting your thoughts. We're a bit unruly at times, but generally pretty hospitable.

I think "SBTC" is nothing more than the product of the writers overly dramatic imagination. I never spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what it means, because frankly, I consider it meaningless.

She and JR both claimed that she didn't know about the bonus. Either they were lying, (but why? kind of an unnecessary lie that not many believed anyway). Or maybe he didn't tell her, but she found out some other way and inserted the amount to be sly. Then she could say, 'it couldn't be me because you didn't tell me'. Or, maybe him not telling her is what caused the angry tone to the note. Ever since I read that she supposedly didn't know about the bonus, I can't help but think it played a part in all this...because money sure played a big part in that ransom note. moo

Leaving JonBenet alone on the concrete floor in the moldy wine cellar of the basement with a garrote around her neck always made me angry.

The lousy $118,000 ransom amount makes me angry, too. Why wasn't a million demanded for the safe return of your beloved daughter? Requesting less than a million is insulting and demeaning to JonBenet's memory since we know the amount was pre-determined then put on paper as a ransom demand after the precious child was dead.

Patsy had easy access to her husband's paystubs. They simply maintained she was not aware of the bonus amount; hence, she had no reason to snoop in John's home office because the finances were John's responsibility.

BBM
DOI Page 120

"Actually, a number of people had access to this figure. Since I was awarded the bonus in January 1996, the amount was printed on every pay stub I had received during 1996. Someone nosing through our house could have found a pay stub. Numerous workers at Access Graphics could have accessed the information as well. And I might have discussed the figure with anyone working with our taxes or investments."

SBTC is just more ambiguity Patsy added to the deception in her quest to dupe everyone. Add it to the list along with the pineapple. The contrived ransom note is the main reason she got away without criminal charges since, limited tho they were on Christmas 26, 2006, the authorities were looking for a little kidnapped girl for the first five hours. As the police dogs were being prepared, Linda Ardnt suffered a lapse in judgment that sent JR And FW into the basement.

I think FW figured it out and bent the page in the dictionary that pointed to the word incest. That page should have been fingerprinted but Patsy was freaking over the black fingerprint powder residue on her lovely things.

How did the ransom note make it through the parents' reading and handing it to the first officer that arrived without any fingerprints on it in lieu of the inspectors? Really? Were copies made of it to pass around? Was it a copy that John Fernie saw through the door?

Anyone finding JR's paystubs and who even suspected how successful he was would have asked for a lot more than the bonus amount. Even JAR commented that his father could have afforded much more. He said that he himself could have pulled out his checkbook and wrote a check for that amount.
IMO, that amount was chosen for one reason- to throw some blame on a possible disgruntled employee.

old news, but I hadn't seen this before

[ame="http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3405"]Ransom Note Catch by Country Girl!!! - Forums For Justice[/ame]

No doubt it was Patsy who wrote the note....her style, her jargon, her lettering. I think the note was her assignment while JR was busy redressing JBR and possibly relocating her to the basement. It is that 911 call she made that stumps me.

Chelly, I love how you think. Not just this post, I find myself agreeing with you much more often than not.

I believe the idea was that John was going to shower, so that he'd have no evidence left on him from doing the clean-up. After his shower, he would put the body in his 'large attache' and leave, where he would dump the body, then go withdraw the ransom money from the bank. That gives him an excuse to use later for why he left the house, were any neighbors to see him. He'd just be following the ransom demands. I believe that's why the note says they would call between 8 and 10 AM, then goes on to say if they monitor him getting the money early, they might call earlier.

Most banks I know of don't open before 8 AM at the earliest. Many don't open before 9. They supposedly would call between 8 and 10. How could he possibly get the money earlier? But I digress, I think that little blurb was put in there to allow him to get out of the house before many of their neighbors were up, and use the later excuse that he wasn't thinking, just rushed to the bank, then had to wait for them to open, which would give him plenty of time to dump the body somewhere, yet still be seen by any possible witnesses sitting in the bank parking lot before the bank opened.

I think Patsy blew the plan by calling 911 too early. I think she was supposed to call after John had left...perhaps even after she was sure the bank was open and he had the money. Her excuse for calling 911 would be that she panicked while JR was gone. The call then explains why JB is to be found dead later.

I think the problem was that she did actually panic- either from the thought of JB's body being dumped, or I've considered that whatever nerve-calming chemical she'd taken earlier was beginning to wear off and she was becoming hysterical. I've wondered if she hadn't ran to the laundry room and grabbed JB's favorite blanket and covered her body while JR was in the shower, then ran back upstairs to make the call- explaining why she was out of breath on the 911 call.

But this is all just part of my theory. Nothing concrete to back it up.

Imo the ransom note really suggests that the idea of depositing JBR outside was on the table.
I don't know if PR argued it, or reluctantly agreed, but whatever the case I suspect that possibly she decided to call 911 prematurely in order to thwart the plan of removing JBR from the house, and this is the reason that we are left with this odd situation of a RN and a body.
So PR decides that she can't bear JBR being removed from the house, and she calls 911. John then waits it out finally accepting that police will not be leaving the house, and eventually seeing no real alternative - "finds" JBR.

Chelly, I love how you think. Not just this post, I find myself agreeing with you much more often than not.

I believe the idea was that John was going to shower, so that he'd have no evidence left on him from doing the clean-up. After his shower, he would put the body in his 'large attache' and leave, where he would dump the body, then go withdraw the ransom money from the bank. That gives him an excuse to use later for why he left the house, were any neighbors to see him. He'd just be following the ransom demands. I believe that's why the note says they would call between 8 and 10 AM, then goes on to say if they monitor him getting the money early, they might call earlier.

Most banks I know of don't open before 8 AM at the earliest. Many don't open before 9. They supposedly would call between 8 and 10. How could he possibly get the money earlier? But I digress, I think that little blurb was put in there to allow him to get out of the house before many of their neighbors were up, and use the later excuse that he wasn't thinking, just rushed to the bank, then had to wait for them to open, which would give him plenty of time to dump the body somewhere, yet still be seen by any possible witnesses sitting in the bank parking lot before the bank opened.

I think Patsy blew the plan by calling 911 too early. I think she was supposed to call after John had left...perhaps even after she was sure the bank was open and he had the money. Her excuse for calling 911 would be that she panicked while JR was gone. The call then explains why JB is to be found dead later.

I think the problem was that she did actually panic- either from the thought of JB's body being dumped, or I've considered that whatever nerve-calming chemical she'd taken earlier was beginning to wear off and she was becoming hysterical. I've wondered if she hadn't ran to the laundry room and grabbed JB's favorite blanket and covered her body while JR was in the shower, then ran back upstairs to make the call- explaining why she was out of breath on the 911 call.

But this is all just part of my theory. Nothing concrete to back it up.
Thank you FreeSafety36. There are two or three frequent posters on this Forum that I mostly agree with also.

I agree with you that the R's original plan was 1) Remove body from house and dump somewhere. 2) Make a show of withdrawing ransom money. But for whatever reason/s, the plan was discarded and the 911 call was made. Your theory works with what we know about the morning of Dec. 26. However, I think it is unlikely JB's body would fit into a large attache case. And..... I've always thought PR's hyperventilating on the 911 tape was acting.

Thank you FreeSafety36. There are two or three frequent posters on this Forum that I mostly agree with also.

I agree with you that the R's original plan was 1) Remove body from house and dump somewhere. 2) Make a show of withdrawing ransom money. But for whatever reason/s, the plan was discarded and the 911 call was made. Your theory works with what we know about the morning of Dec. 26. However, I think it is unlikely JB's body would fit into a large attache case. And..... I've always thought PR's hyperventilating on the 911 tape was acting.

I agree that her body wouldn't fit into an actual attache case...however, a large piece of luggage might be a different story. I've assumed Patsy was acting as well, and she probably was...just had the thought that maybe she didn't need to act if she'd actually ran herself out of breath. But again, like I said, it's just a theory.

Not sure if this has been covered before ..... but the most revealing sentence in the ransom note is this ....

(... the delivery will be exhausting ) ... so I advise you to be rested"

An intruder would know that the Ramseys were upstairs sound asleep ... thus an intruder would never have written that

That is the most likely scenario ... get rid of the body and stage a kidnapping ... problem solved .... but the emotional conflicts of actually dumping her body somewhere were too much .... so they ended up with a conflicting "staged scene"

I think Patsy wrote the note in a feeble attempt with hope that John would dramatically whisk her and Burke off to Michigan by jet with large suitcases while he was out getting the money and waiting by the phone. Either that, or some crazy Plan B that cops would gather them dramatically into a safe place with focus out of the house.

Could it be that what went wrong was that she didn`t fit an attache or a suitcase. How about the suitcase in the basement?

"Suitcase Beneath Window
Where Found. "A hard-sided suitcase was discovered below the open window"
Out of Place. "John Ramsey said the suitcase was not in that area of the basement before, suggesting that someone moved it there. In addition, if the suitcase had been under the window for a long time, dust and debris would have collected on it. But little was there" (Rocky Mountain News)
Glass Shard. "A pea-size piece of glass was found on top of the suitcase, within what might be a partial footprint. Smit surmises the glass may have come off the intruder's shoe as he stepped on the suitcase to get out." However, "police have said privately that what looks like a footprint on the suitcase isn't a footprint" (Rocky Mountain News)
Suitcase Unlatched. Internet poster Olivia has noted "if you look at the close up pictures of the suitcase, it does appear that the suitcase is unlached and not securely closed, with a clothing restraint hanging out."
Suitcase Contents. A pillow sham and duvet (comforter) were found in the suitcase.
Was JBR Placed in Suitcase? There is conflicting fiber evidence suggesting that fibers from the sham and duvet inside the suitcase were found on JBR's body. Some have speculated someone attempted to place JBR inside the suitcase to remove her (dead or alive) from the house."

bbm.

Above taken from:
http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682512/The Basement

Could it be that what went wrong was that she didn`t fit an attache or a suitcase. How about the suitcase in the basement?

"Suitcase Beneath Window
Where Found. "A hard-sided suitcase was discovered below the open window"
Out of Place. "John Ramsey said the suitcase was not in that area of the basement before, suggesting that someone moved it there. In addition, if the suitcase had been under the window for a long time, dust and debris would have collected on it. But little was there" (Rocky Mountain News)
Glass Shard. "A pea-size piece of glass was found on top of the suitcase, within what might be a partial footprint. Smit surmises the glass may have come off the intruder's shoe as he stepped on the suitcase to get out." However, "police have said privately that what looks like a footprint on the suitcase isn't a footprint" (Rocky Mountain News)
Suitcase Unlatched. Internet poster Olivia has noted "if you look at the close up pictures of the suitcase, it does appear that the suitcase is unlached and not securely closed, with a clothing restraint hanging out."
Suitcase Contents. A pillow sham and duvet (comforter) were found in the suitcase.
Was JBR Placed in Suitcase? There is conflicting fiber evidence suggesting that fibers from the sham and duvet inside the suitcase were found on JBR's body. Some have speculated someone attempted to place JBR inside the suitcase to remove her (dead or alive) from the house."

bbm.

Above taken from:
http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682512/The Basement
Personally I think that John planned to remove JBR from the house. Possibly the suitcase was to be used. When that did not happen, most likely because PR called 911 when she did, and John needed to shift to plan B - he then utilized the suitcase in another way by placing it under the window.
I don't know if he knew at the time he placed it there, or shortly afterwards, that it might be traced to JAR - but he did realize this early on, and that's why JAR and mom get a lawyer. Moo.

Yesterday, I decided to try a little experiment and write with my left hand. There was no way I could write out the whole note, so I wrote 'we have your daughter-will call later'. 1st of all, my normal handwriting is terrible, big and messy, slants the wrong way and is barely readable, but surprisingly, my left handed writing was straight up and down, more feminine looking and legible. I tossed the spiral aside and forgot about it. Last night I heard my husband yelling for me. He had found the note and thought something was up-maybe with my daughter's boyfriend. I told him I wrote it as an experiment but since he could actually read it, he had a hard time believing it, ha ha.

Yesterday, I decided to try a little experiment and write with my left hand. There was no way I could write out the whole note, so I wrote 'we have your daughter-will call later'. 1st of all, my normal handwriting is terrible, big and messy, slants the wrong way and is barely readable, but surprisingly, my left handed writing was straight up and down, more feminine looking and legible. I tossed the spiral aside and forgot about it. Last night I heard my husband yelling for me. He had found the note and thought something was up-maybe with my daughter's boyfriend. I told him I wrote it as an experiment but since he could actually read it, he had a hard time believing it, ha ha.

When a person is ambidextrous, they still have a dominant hand. Though they can write legibly with either hand, the writing is not identical with both hands. The RN looks much more like it was written by an ambidextrous person, which Patsy admitted to being, than written by someone writing with their weaker hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hustling01