The Rest of the Story...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CPS has been allowed to do this in private homes where abuse is suspected for many years. Why are the FLDS exempt from this intrusion? Children are removed from their homes every day in this country for their safety. This has been going on for many years and is nothing new. This was just a bigger case and we had media reports to follow. Usually the hearings in child matters are private so we never hear the details.

How do you know what they they have been taught or not taught? Did you read that somewhere? _ Glow

Yes of course. I have read several books, magazine articles and have followed the news. I was just too lazy to post all of my sources.

Ok, no problem. Sometimes the link thing drives me crazy too.

One of the good things about a link is it lets the reader see what the "agenda" is behind the written word. Maybe other people were smart enough to know this before but I wasn't. It took my years to learn that EVERY word in a newspaper has the potential to be slanted. Everything. Newspapers are in the pocket of very powerful people just for that reason. They know that the average American thinks that if it is printed it is true. The Internet is changing that so maybe that will soon be a thing of the past.

In the meantime we just have to keep our eyes and our minds open and think for ourselves based on the facts. That's the best we can do. History will sort itself out eventually.

As far as the FLDS and school. just 100 years ago in America most kids got to about 8th grade. That was for various reasons. Nowadays we start educating children from toddler hood right on through their 20's. There is not indication anywhere that people who are highly educated do better. They can make more money. That much is true and that itself comes with complications of its own. Well educated people arent healthier or happier. As far as education and opportunities, there is a connection but there are many other factors that weigh in, such as cultural background. That one thing alone predetermines the majority of choices each of us makes MUCH more so than education. We just dont always stop to mull that over. The US ranks low worldwide in education. I posted that link above. We as a country have NO right to criticize anyone when it comes to education.

As for what the FLDS kids were being taught - CPS examined their classroom and said that they were being taught Language Arts, Math, American History, Science and Geography as well as religious things. What is wrong with that education? The foster group homes where the children were sent began testing the children and said they were all on or about grade level. That would not EVER be a thing any public school could say! Since these statements came from CPS and foster care I think we are safe assuming that they are true statements since they have no inclination to make the FLDS look good.

So it would appear that the official bottom line is these kids are getting a good education as determined by the state. Better than the public school system.

CPS has been allowed to do this in private homes where abuse is suspected for many years. Why are the FLDS exempt from this intrusion?

Children are removed from their homes every day in this country for their safety. This has been going on for many years and is nothing new. This was just a bigger case and we had media reports to follow. Usually the hearings in child matters are private so we never hear the details.

When CPS first got started they had limited power. They had to pretty much be very sure there was abuse before they could take action. If a person called in a report they had to give their name. It wasn't given to the people they were calling about but they had to give their name to the authorities. There was accountability all around.

Fast forward to now....anyone can make an anonymous call and CPS can walk in and pick up the children and walk out the door with them and THEN they investigate. That can take anywhere from days to a week or more. If the investigation finds nothing then the children are returned and oh well.........

No one is supposed to think anything of it. Never mind that a little child was plucked out of its own living room and sent to live with strangers for a week. Never mind the emotional trauma to the helpless parents who were actually innocent of any wrongdoing. I remember reading about a woman who lived in Atlanta in a nice upscale subdivision. She was a professional I just dont remember in what. So was her husband. They had 2 children and a dream life. A tiff got going with a neighbor, again I dont remember what it was over....sorry.........it was something small like a fence or a tree limb or a pet? That kind of thing. One day CPS showed up at her house and said they had a complaint of suspected abuse. The woman was flabbergasted. They picked the children up off the floor and walked out. Told her if she resisted they would have her arrested and it would take even longer to get the children back. She just stood there helplessly while they walked off with her small children. She called her husband and then her lawyer. There was a terrific scramble on a lot of peoples part to stop this. Within two hours she had signed statements from her pediatrician, minister and others attesting to the well being of the children. She and her husband raced to CPS only to be told that the office was closed - they got there at 6pm - an hour late. Not only that but it was Friday and no other action could take place till then. Also,they told her that even if it werent the weekend they dont release children once they have them in "care" until they have done their OWN investigation, regardless of what the Drs and minister and so on have to say.

This mother didn't stop she was relentless... she went to the press...she went around the neighborhood and the childrens daycare and they finally figured out who did the call. I dont remember the blow by blow but I think by Sunday they were able to at least get the kids foster home care moved to the grandparents of the children, so the trauma could stop there for the little kids. The parents still were not allowed anywhere near. It all got sorted out in the end and I think there was a lawsuit but that case demonstrates a lot of what is wrong with CPS. Too much unlimited authority. Too little accountability. The whole reason they started letting people report anonymously was because they were afraid cases weren't being reported because people didn't want to get involved. That is a very poor reason to go on.

Speaking of fear, the whole system seems fear based to me. We know that "somewhere" out there "someone" is abusing a child. OMG how horrible! So we form an entity to stop that abuse. Only we let that entity have such a scatter shot form of protecting "children" that many innocent familys get caught in their inefficient net. So we put up with a system that abuses children, takes away their rights and at best hands them back without so much as a "oops we were wrong" OR they keep the children so that they can be "safely" beaten and abused in foster care. Foster care statistics are atrocious and Texas is among the worst of the worst. Hopefully a case of this magnitude will start the ball rolling to revamp the whole corrupt broken abusive system.

We have read a lot about the issue of the "lost boys" of the FLDS.

Here is the flip side of the coin-

state of Texas creates its own lost boys-

"Lack of Transition Preparation (Aging Out)
Foster children who “age out” of the system often lack a formal support system. Statistically, they are at extreme risk of poverty and homelessness, victimization and criminal involvement, illness, early childbearing, and low educational attainment. In addition, many have emotional problems, fractured emotional and social attachments, and dysfunctional relationships as a result of past experiences."

http://www.texasappleseed.net/1HZ601!.pdf

Cost of the raid to exceed $14 million.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/699646.html

As a Texas resident & tax payer I have mixed reactions. If the raid had actually accomplished something positive for the children it would have been well worth the cost. As it is, it seems to me that the biggest accomplishments are a huge bill for the tax payers, a lot of stressed out people on both sides of the issue & the kids are right back in the same situation but with the additional trauma caused by the raid. Surely, CPS could have considered all possibilities before rushing in like a bunch of cowboys.

I hope that the cost caps out at less than this headline suggests!

http://www.flds.ws/2008/06/07/the-30-million-dollar-girl/

A little bit more info on the curriculum of the FLDS

The curriculum included fairly standard subjects. math,history accounting, geography, computer science, chemistry, and chorus. Each day began with an hour-long devotional...

sounds like any Catholic (or other) religous school...complete with its own pedophile priest.

http://flds101.blogspot.com/

If our "problem" with the FLDS was their secretive ways, the new trend toward openness should be welcomed.

quote -

What would or will it take for the FLDS communities to open up more to the rest of us 'outsiders'?"

-Start by not answering your own questions. With insults
-Don't ask for the purpose of painting them as evil
- Dont ask insulting questions like "Why is your prophet such a pervert?" or "Why don't you care about your children?"
-Don't assume ANYTHING
- Allow them to be racist (ie Jerimiah Wright)
- Accept that polygamy is not abusive in nature any more than guns are. (ie "marriage kills people")
- Realize that the FLDS believe as strongly in their religion as you do about yours, if not more.
-Realize they are willing to break the law if the law is written to stop their religious beliefs.
-Don't try to "convert" them against their will.
- Treat them as equal's rather than "less than"

Follow the rules above and they wouldn't hesitate to "open up"

I wouldn't hesitate to answer your questions if you didn't insult my answers, or answer your own questions for me with insults.

I will answer the first posters question on here, and we'll see how it goes. (Some FLDS ARE reading this)

end quote-

same link as above.

CPS has been allowed to do this in private homes where abuse is suspected for many years. Why are the FLDS exempt from this intrusion? Children are removed from their homes every day in this country for their safety. This has been going on for many years and is nothing new. This was just a bigger case and we had media reports to follow. Usually the hearings in child matters are private so we never hear the details.

This thread has kind of hop scotched back and forth over the FLDS and their schooling and the role of CPS in America in general. I am quoting Debs post again just to add clarity that this post is about CPS in the American mainstream, NOT CPS limited to the raid or to the FLDS specifically.

One womans story (NOT an FLDS member)

Ten years ago while we were living in military housing, a neighbor reported us to Family Advocacy for child neglect, with a list of thirty-something items we were doing that she thought were just awful. Most of them were purely imaginary, some of the rest were distortions or exagerations of things we actually do. But hubby and I both had to undergo psychological exams and I (because the charges were all directed against me) had to be interviewed and answer each item on the list.

The social worker was very hostile. She didn't approve of homeschooling, or of us not having a television, or of the way I fed my children... and lots of things of that sort.

ONE claim against us was substantiated -- that I left my children unsupervised. That makes it sound like I went to the mall while they were home alone, but actually, I went inside to use the bathroom while they were playing in the back yard.

We had to take parenting classes under this woman and she eventually figured out that we were really pretty decent people, but in the meantime, on account of this, we were denied permission to let my ailing daddy come live with us so I could look after him, and he died alone.

I'm still angry over that whole thing, and I find it very very hard to trust people -- and I'll never ever trust the people who have the power to take my children away.

http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/

The most heinous thing about CPS in this country is that the accused are guilty until proven innocent. I have seen multiple times how people in a divorce or separation would have purely unsubstantiable baloney spoken to the authorities by an outcry witness who was in fact trying to either make it harder for one parent to get the child in a custody case, or they wanted to subject the other spouse to the legal and financial constraints of having to not only go through all of the investigations and counselling but also of having to foot the bill for the same.
Seems kind of like the Russian "thought police" of the cold war days.
Whether or not the FLDS have underage girls getting married should perhaps be considered on a "per case" basis rather than en masse. It would garner a lot less press coverage if any group is treated like the rest of the population.
It would also be more fair to the rest of the population if they could press charges against a person that made a purely false accusation against them as opposed to the system the CPS presently has in place, assuring complete anonymity of the erroneous outcry witness.
Sure, the folks who are telling the truth should be protected. It should just be that the ones who lie with malice aforethought should have it declared open season (for legal recourse) on their butts. That would lessen the false claims and perhaps the workload for the CPS in general, in a good way. Then maybe they could concentrate on the real abusers and actual issues which needed addressing.
I would love to see some sort of "Vindictive Exes" legislation enacted nationwide which would protect those falsely accused of child abuse, open the door for compensation to the victims who were actually the falsely accused, and punish the false accusers.
If CPS could concentrate on the real issues such as when a child is found in a closet, malnourished and with contractures, or when incidental belt bruises are seen all over some kid's body...now that would be more realistic.
Oh. I'm sorry. I'm asking the government to be more rational.

Silly me.

-

What would or will it take for the FLDS communities to open up more to the rest of us 'outsiders'?"

Personally, I don't care if these people open up or not. It's up to them.

-Start by not answering your own questions. With insults
-Don't ask for the purpose of painting them as evil
- Dont ask insulting questions like "Why is your prophet such a pervert?" or "Why don't you care about your children?"

This is a free country. People can ask whatever questions they want. Of course, other people are free not to answer if they don't want. Many questions are retorical. I've read this type of edict before, perhaps eminating from FLDS. If one can't ask about the prophet being a pervert, would it be ok to ask why the prophet is a convicted felon? Is it ok to ask why the convicted felon's photo was pretty much the only one on any wall during the house tour at YFZ? How about this asking if it's true that Warren Jeffs nephew has accused him of raping him? Can we ask about the men who were kicked out of the FLDS by Warren Jeffs who sued for a share of the construction and housing owned by the chuch and WON!? What about asking if the trustee might not be going after TX assets next? Any of those ok? Probably not, but oh well, like I said, mostly retorical.

-Don't assume ANYTHING
People don't seem to be assuming so much as reading, listening and formulating their own opinions.
- Allow them to be racist (ie Jerimiah Wright)
- Accept that polygamy is not abusive in nature any more than guns are. (ie "marriage kills people")
Who is really stopping them from committing either fault or crime. Noone as far as I can see. In my opinion, polygamy is adulty based on how I read the bible and is abusive toward women and children. AND, of course it is illegal in the US. It's ok in Saudi Arabia though, perhaps the church should think about moving it's base of operations.

- Realize that the FLDS believe as strongly in their religion as you do about yours, if not more.
Realize that some people believe in human sacrifice as a tenet of their religion. Doesn't mean their church is going to be able to practice it freely in the US as a part of their religion. Again, if a religion isn't compatable with the laws of this land, the religion is free to relocate.

-Realize they are willing to break the law if the law is written to stop their religious beliefs.
-Don't try to "convert" them against their will.

Then, I assume they are also willing to be arrested, indicted and to spend time in jail. Asking people to obey the law is not the same as trying to convert them.

- Treat them as equal's rather than "less than"
Personally, I don't get the impression that FLDS people think they are equal to me. I get the impression they think they are better than me, much better--God's chosen people, which they seem to feel I'm not-because I'm not one of them. Perhaps the FLDS should start first and try treating outsiders as equals.

The most heinous thing about CPS in this country is that the accused are guilty until proven innocent. I have seen multiple times how people in a divorce or separation would have purely unsubstantiable baloney spoken to the authorities by an outcry witness who was in fact trying to either make it harder for one parent to get the child in a custody case, or they wanted to subject the other spouse to the legal and financial constraints of having to not only go through all of the investigations and counselling but also of having to foot the bill for the same.
Seems kind of like the Russian "thought police" of the cold war days.
Whether or not the FLDS have underage girls getting married should perhaps be considered on a "per case" basis rather than en masse. It would garner a lot less press coverage if any group is treated like the rest of the population.
It would also be more fair to the rest of the population if they could press charges against a person that made a purely false accusation against them as opposed to the system the CPS presently has in place, assuring complete anonymity of the erroneous outcry witness.
Sure, the folks who are telling the truth should be protected. It should just be that the ones who lie with malice aforethought should have it declared open season (for legal recourse) on their butts. That would lessen the false claims and perhaps the workload for the CPS in general, in a good way. Then maybe they could concentrate on the real abusers and actual issues which needed addressing.
I would love to see some sort of "Vindictive Exes" legislation enacted nationwide which would protect those falsely accused of child abuse, open the door for compensation to the victims who were actually the falsely accused, and punish the false accusers.
If CPS could concentrate on the real issues such as when a child is found in a closet, malnourished and with contractures, or when incidental belt bruises are seen all over some kid's body...now that would be more realistic.Oh. I'm sorry. I'm asking the government to be more rational.

Silly me.
I agree, Excellent post by the way. I am not against the concept behind having an entity to "protect" children. I am not even against having it be government run (although we know how that slows things down - a drawback) I AM against the "entity" feeling it has basically unlimited power. The government should always feel that it works for us - the people. We are moving further and further away from that though.

-

Personally, I don't care if these people open up or not. It's up to them.

This is a free country. People can ask whatever questions they want. Of course, other people are free not to answer if they don't want. Many questions are retorical. I've read this type of edict before, perhaps eminating from FLDS. If one can't ask about the prophet being a pervert, would it be ok to ask why the prophet is a convicted felon? Is it ok to ask why the convicted felon's photo was pretty much the only one on any wall during the house tour at YFZ? How about this asking if it's true that Warren Jeffs nephew has accused him of raping him? Can we ask about the men who were kicked out of the FLDS by Warren Jeffs who sued for a share of the construction and housing owned by the chuch and WON!? What about asking if the trustee might not be going after TX assets next? Any of those ok?

I think those are all good questions! Its what we "do" before and during the asking of those questions that bothers me. The same hard hitting questions could be asked of a lot of the countrys mainstream religous leaders. Why do you molest children? Where is the money? Ask that anywhere. Ask the Catholics. Ask the Baptists. But if we are going to use the same measuring stick - and we must if we call ourselves fair- do we raid and plunder the Vatican and THEN ask the questions?

People don't seem to be assuming so much as reading, listening and formulating their own opinions.

Ah, but it is what they were reading that led to all of the "assuming". Governor Rick Perry's office was instructed to keep the media focused on the pregnant teens and the broken bones.

Where are they? We all know the state found zero. They gave all the kids back for a reason. The reason is they didnt have anything. Its interesting though that peoples mindset is (for some) still back at the starting gate instead of keeping pace with the Texas CPS web page where they "announced" that they have "successfully reunited the families." If they feel that their basis for the raid was valid why on earth would they call returning the children with nothing resolved, a "success?"

In my opinion, polygamy is adulty based on how I read the bible

I certainly wouldnt want to live in that arrangement. But if you look at the Bible and call it adultery what do you do about the polygamy that God allowed?

and is abusive toward women and children.

So reason with me here....if polygamy was allowed by God....then does that mean that God put an arrangement in place that would harm women and children?

AND, of course it is illegal in the US. It's ok in Saudi Arabia though, perhaps the church should think about moving it's base of operations.

If polygamous ADULTS who are American citizens want to be in unions that are illegal under current law, then do you think that extends to gay people too?

Realize that some people believe in human sacrifice as a tenet of their religion. Doesn't mean their church is going to be able to practice it freely in the US as a part of their religion. Again, if a religion isn't compatable with the laws of this land, the religion is free to relocate.

I understand what you are saying and I agree that some form of agreement must be reached that respects peoples right to worship while maintaining adherence to the laws of the land.

I appreciate your post. It was honest and it is obvious that you have given this topic a lot of thought.

Its what we "do" before and during the asking of those questions that bothers me. The same hard hitting questions could be asked of a lot of the countrys mainstream religous leaders. Why do you molest children? Where is the money? Ask that anywhere. Ask the Catholics. Ask the Baptists. But if we are going to use the same measuring stick - and we must if we call ourselves fair- do we raid and plunder the Vatican and THEN ask the questions?

People have and do ask those questions of others. Now, it's FLDS's turn.

Ah, but it is what they were reading that led to all of the "assuming". Governor Rick Perry's office was instructed to keep the media focused on the pregnant teens and the broken bones.

Where are they? We all know the state found zero. They gave all the kids back for a reason. The reason is they didnt have anything. Its interesting though that peoples mindset is (for some) still back at the starting gate instead of keeping pace with the Texas CPS web page where they "announced" that they have "successfully reunited the families." If they feel that their basis for the raid was valid why on earth would they call returning the children with nothing resolved, a "success?"

Well, finding those pictures of Warren Jeffs, the prohpet, with those 12 year-old girls, kissing him, looking at him with the greatest admiration-even worship, was a biggie for me, has definitely filled in some lines and colored my impressions, supporting much of what I had read and heard previously.

Apparently, the TX investigations are ongoing. Perhaps if the FLDS had been honest about who they were and why they were buying land in TX in the first place, local suspicions might not have been aroused. Perhapsm when CPS had come in, if women hadn't looked toward their husbands to answer how old they were, if birth certificates had been readily available, obtainable or verifyible, or if girls hadn't threatened to 'plead the 5th,' the CPS might not have been so alarmed. Who knows. From what I understand, the investigation is ongoing. I personally hope they don't find abuse. Perhaps, without openly admitting it, the FLDS has done some self-examination and soul-searching and has made some changes in the wake of recent history. Perhaps underage girls aren't being married and impregnated systemactically. That would certainly improve my opinion of this group. Those women, though, who went on TV.... Their image is going to be hard for me to shake. They seemed brainwashed, controlled, oppressed. They spoke in halting phrases with the same dull, flat, robotic voices. They seemed to be reading from a script. I still have nightmares about those women. But, oh well, most of them probably do want to be who they are where they are, at least at this point in their lives. Still, remembering those TV interviews continues to invokes a sadness in my heart that's hard to shake. It's bringin' tears to my eyes right now.

I certainly wouldnt want to live in that arrangement. But if you look at the Bible and call it adultery what do you do about the polygamy that God allowed?
As a Christian, I accept that the new testament superscedes the old see nothing commanding polygamy or even encouraging it--in fact quite the opposite.

So reason with me here....if polygamy was allowed by God....then does that mean that God put an arrangement in place that would harm women and children?
Yes, I think that polygamy in our society does harm women, children and society. How could one man with 60 wives possibly form close marital relationships, as God with Church, with all of them? Does God really approve of a man getting 'wives' as birthday presents when he's already got 20 more. I certainly hope he doesn't. What on earth does one man need with 100 wives? What can he truly give them? What kind of father can a man be when he has so many children he can't even remember all their names, or forgets who their mother is? Seems a lot like gluttony to me. And reason with me, if God makes as many boy babies as girl babies, does he really intend that 2/3rds-and-up of those boy babies will grow up without access to marriage and family? Regarding societies, in the ideal, isn't really better for the social system if men and women, given by God in approximately equal numbers, pair with one person into stable, serious, committed relationships for their own well being and for the raising of families so that there aren't legions of unattached young men prowling the communities, unconnected? I believe it is.

If polygamous ADULTS who are American citizens want to be in unions that are illegal under current law, then do you think that extends to gay people too?
I think marriage should be between one man and one woman, however I think gay marriage will very soon be allowed in our society by law.

...As a Christian, I accept that the new testament superscedes the old see nothing commanding polygamy or even encouraging it--in fact quite the opposite....

Thanks for your very interesting post, volorado.

I am curious as to how you interpret this verse in light of your above view: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

Polygamy is, of course, found in several places in the OT and, some would argue, in the NT as well.

I am just wondering if you find that The Bible has any room for differening interpretations on the subject.

People have and do ask those questions of others. Now, it's FLDS's turn.

Asking the questions is fine, good in fact. It is the act of raiding the compound and taking out 460 children to live in subhuman conditions AND ONLY THEN asking the questions, that I have a problem with.

Well, finding those pictures of Warren Jeffs, the prohpet, with those 12 year-old girls, kissing him, looking at him with the greatest admiration-even worship, was a biggie for me, has definitely filled in some lines and colored my impressions, supporting much of what I had read and heard previously.

Warren Jeffs is a mentally ill perv and he is in jail where he belongs. I dont think he is going to go anywhere.

Apparently, the TX investigations are ongoing. Perhaps if the FLDS had been honest about who they were and why they were buying land in TX in the first place, local suspicions might not have been aroused.

I agree with you. I think that is what they should have done. So why didnt they? This is where their history comes into play.
Remember in American History class where we were taught about the Mormon Trail? I didnt realize back in tenth grade that this was religious persecution. I just thought it was "history". The Mormons were attacked because of polygamy (not the under aged stuff) and were beaten, burned and run out of Nauvoo Ill. They migrated to Utah thus the "Mormon Trail." While this may not have meant much to me throwing spitballs back in history class back in the day, I DO understand how this is burned into the culture of the FLDS and all Mormons. I also understand that when we (the larger more mainstream group)agree to treat people that way, they tend to become cautious (secretive) and cloistered. Too bad we couldnt learn from history and have now repeated the act. Looking at it that way, they were smart to be cautious.

Perhapsm when CPS had come in, if women hadn't looked toward their husbands to answer how old they were, if birth certificates had been readily available, obtainable or verifyible, or if girls hadn't threatened to 'plead the 5th,' the CPS might not have been so alarmed. Who knows.

There are many cases where that type of behavior is deemed appropriate. In the military captured soldiers withhold all information except what the enemy has a "right" to. This is an internationally recognized "right".

Let me ask you, if the US was invaded by China last night and our TV talking heads were instructing all American citizens to give the Chinese military NO information would you be digging out your childrens birth certificates while they stormed your subdivision? I know I wouldnt. If I could grab my kids and run I would. If I was cornered, then I would say whatever I thought was going to protect my children.

That is what the FLDS women did. It isnt that they couldnt prove whose children belonged to whom, they obviously produced the necessary documents later to convince CPS to give the children back. Its that they didnt think they should have tounder the circumstances. The Texas Supreme Court has ruled that they were correct.

From what I understand, the investigation is ongoing. I personally hope they don't find abuse. Perhaps, without openly admitting it, the FLDS has done some self-examination and soul-searching and has made some changes in the wake of recent history. Perhaps underage girls aren't being married and impregnated systemactically. That would certainly improve my opinion of this group. Those women, though, who went on TV.... Their image is going to be hard for me to shake. They seemed brainwashed, controlled, oppressed. They spoke in halting phrases with the same dull, flat, robotic voices. They seemed to be reading from a script. I still have nightmares about those women. But, oh well, most of them probably do want to be who they are where they are, at least at this point in their lives. Still, remembering those TV interviews continues to invokes a sadness in my heart that's hard to shake. It's bringin' tears to my eyes right now.

yolorado this part of your post is just so honest, sweet and sincere you make ME want to cry. I wish that there was a way that the women of FLDS could read your words and know that not all of us "mainstream" American women look down on them. I wish that they could know that there are some of us that just want assurance that this is their choice and that we are concerned about their welfare. That might have been easier for them to understand before we raided their homes and stole their children though...

Yes, I think that polygamy in our society does harm women, children and society. How could one man with 60 wives possibly form close marital relationships, as God with Church, with all of them? Does God really approve of a man getting 'wives' as birthday presents when he's already got 20 more. I certainly hope he doesn't. What on earth does one man need with 100 wives? What can he truly give them? What kind of father can a man be when he has so many children he can't even remember all their names, or forgets who their mother is? Seems a lot like gluttony to me. And reason with me, if God makes as many boy babies as girl babies, does he really intend that 2/3rds-and-up of those boy babies will grow up without access to marriage and family? Regarding societies, in the ideal, isn't really better for the social system if men and women, given by God in approximately equal numbers, pair with one person into stable, serious, committed relationships for their own well being and for the raising of families so that there aren't legions of unattached young men prowling the communities, unconnected? I believe it is.

think that you and I agree on the problems that can occur with polygamy. When we look at the Bible, the challenge is to think Gods thoughts and not mans thoughts. I believe that God would not condone humans living in arrangements that were inherently harmful to them. The time period when polygamy was allowed was when God was using the Jews to fulfill his promise to Abraham to make him a "mighty nation". To take a wandering nomadic tribe of Bedouins and turn them into a mighty nation was the purposeof polygamy at that time. The problems that polygamy creates math wise as far as throwing off the numbers of men VS women wouldnt have been an issue then since they lost so many men to war. The need that existed then for polygamy doesnt appear to exist today unless you see yourself as the new spiritual Jews with a small group that needs to grow, which is exactly how the FLDS see themselves.

I think marriage should be between one man and one woman, however I think gay marriage will very soon be allowed in our society by law.

So once we legalize gay marriage should polygamy be legalized too? And if not, why not?

http://blogs.sltrib.com/plurallife/

The International Cultic Studies Association will hold its annual conference June 26-29 in Philadelphia and polygamy pops up all over the schedule.

The biggest contributor, however, is Janja Lalich, a professor at Cal State, Chico, and cult expert. So what about the Amish? I asked Lalich? Or the Mennonites? Cults?

Lalich told me it depends. The Amish, she said, allow children to leave the community and recommit themselves to the community later, if they choose. ''Cults are on a continuum,'' Lalich said. ''I would certainly say the Amish have cult-like aspects, to the extent to which there is a demand for conformity . . . but I don't think there is the same record of abuses that exist in other groups over time.''

Rod Parker, a Salt Lake attorney who has acted as a spokesman for the FLDS, it is not surprising that some Texans consider the FLDS a cult. ''Those same people call Mormonism a cult,'' he said.
Ok so I have a question. Based on that definition since the majority of polygamists are Muslim does that make Islam a cult? What about Roman Catholic Nuns and Hasidic Jews?

I think your question is backwards, Glow. A cult is not defined by practicing polygamy.

Hi SewingDeb!

Thats true. It was the premise of the article that there is a connection, thus the amount of time set aside this year at the conference to explore it. The "expert" was speaking of closed religous communities. It was in that context that I began to think of other "closed" communities.

Oh, ok. I don't think of Islamic countries as closed communities. It's certainly not like a compound.

I know from working with refugees that in some muslim countries, polygamy is allowed but very few partake of it. They only marry as many wives as they can afford and usually only take a second wife (and no more) if the first wife is infertile.

The FLDS is a whole other ball game.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Joe Dillinger