The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the CBS tape there were some “somewhat sexy” pictures of Suzie that were not to be found anywhere in the house. It looked like these were part of a photo session that all seniors take now days during the summer prior to their last year of high school. From looking through the proofs of the session at the photography studio these were determined to be missing.

While it is certainly possible that any perp involved in their disappearance could have taken these pictures as a trophy, it seems to me that this would indicate someone who knew Suzie was involved.

Nothing was said about picture frames so this probably clears up that question.

Actually, I seem to recall that I found out who made those photos, or where those photos were taken. That too was provided the SPD and led nowhere. I think they were essentially a red herring to fill up television time and take the focus off the important and known facts of the case. Asher seemed to be very interested in these so-called "sexy" photos of Suzie. It was more gratutious than revealing of anything.

If memory serves me correctly (and I could be wrong) those photos turned up AFTER the crime was reported and evidently were put in the Delmar address mailbox by someone who needlessly or perhaps purposely wanted to throw the investigation off track. The envelope was delivered but that wasn't the address on the envelope. (As best my memory serves me. It is in the "48 hour" tape.)

If memory serves me correctly (and I could be wrong) those photos turned up AFTER the crime was reported and evidently were put in the Delmar address mailbox by someone who needlessly or perhaps purposely wanted to throw the investigation off track. The envelope was delivered but that wasn't the address on the envelope. (As best my memory serves me. It is in the "48 hour" tape.)

You are thinking of the envelope mailed to “Mary McCall” at the Delmar address from a local jail inmate. It contained only a letter of sympathy obviously from an inmate looking for an early release on good behavior.

The photography studio is (or used to be on Glenstone) I believe. They probably had the school contract for yearbooks. Asher was at the studio looking through the proofs from the photo shoot. There appeared to be 2-3 photos of the “cheesecake” variety in the proofs that were missing from the Levitt residence. They did not reveal anything. That is exactly why I think they had to mean something to whoever took them, if that is in fact what happened to them. It seems to me that if this was a random event and the perp didn’t know Suzie he probably would have little or no interest in the photos.

I took it to mean that as of 1997 when the program was made the photos had not turned up.

The time filler was in covering the kidnapping and recovery of the three children left in a running car by their mother at the bridal shop on Glenstone.

According to the CBS tape a female witness to the van underwent hypnosis to see what else she might recall. Was this the “porch lady” with the 4:30am sighting of a green van with Stacy McCall as the driver? Was this what established in the mind of the SPD that the van was green?

You are thinking of the envelope mailed to “Mary McCall” at the Delmar address from a local jail inmate. It contained only a letter of sympathy obviously from an inmate looking for an early release on good behavior.

The photography studio is (or used to be on Glenstone) I believe. They probably had the school contract for yearbooks. Asher was at the studio looking through the proofs from the photo shoot. There appeared to be 2-3 photos of the “cheesecake” variety in the proofs that were missing from the Levitt residence. They did not reveal anything. That is exactly why I think they had to mean something to whoever took them, if that is in fact what happened to them. It seems to me that if this was a random event and the perp didn’t know Suzie he probably would have little or no interest in the photos.

I took it to mean that as of 1997 when the program was made the photos had not turned up.

The time filler was in covering the kidnapping and recovery of the three children left in a running car by their mother at the bridal shop on Glenstone.

I stand corrected. That is in fact what happened. It has been sometime since I saw the tape. I did however obtain the address of the photographer which was forwarded to the SPD. I'm pretty certain that the Glenstone address is correct. Somewhere near the old Venture store if I recall correclty.

I'm not certain I understand why the photos were particularly important. The implication was that whoever took the photos might have had some part in the crime. They weren't all that risque and perhaps she and one of her boyfriends just had them taken somewhere by a commerical photographer who may not even have remembered taking them. I couldn't begin to tell you where the proofs are of the photos we had taken during our 25th wedding anniversary. Just a photo on the wall today.

The perps prepared the house before he/they left. Perhaps they were going through some drawer and decided to take them for some reason that we'll never know or divine. For all we know the missing proofs or photos later were discovered. Again the SPD never tells us much to set these details to rest. Perhaps I am missing your point.

I would seriously doubt the SPD would honor the Chandler request.

I’m not so sure. I don’t know too much about the Chandler case. I seem to recall that one of the missing was quite young.

It just seems to me that if the Chandler PD were to believe that their missing could be buried there that SPD would have to cooperate if asked to. SPD could not deny CPD the chance to close their case. The problem is that CPD would want to see a chain of evidence on their case leading them to the parking garage. And that seems to be the situation with SPD also, as I see it.

Perhaps I am missing your point.

These cheesecake photos were taken at the same time Suzie’s senior photos were taken, usually taken during the summer before the start of the school year. The photo studio always retains all proofs incase a client wants to order additional photos in the future. That is the only way that Asher knew these photos existed. They were not in the house but the studio had the proofs.

My point is only that these photos are probably the ones that we keep hearing rumors about that are missing from the home; the ones that was thought to show who might be responsible; the ones that might have had something hidden behind them in the frame, etc.

And finally, if the pictures were taken from the residence that night I give some weight to them being taken by someone who knew Suzie rather than a complete stranger to her.

According to the CBS tape a female witness to the van underwent hypnosis to see what else she might recall. Was this the “porch lady” with the 4:30am sighting of a green van with Stacy McCall as the driver? Was this what established in the mind of the SPD that the van was green?

Well, actually there were two hypnosis sessions as best I can recall. The one witness who claimed he saw a "moss green" van acting "suspiciously" at the grocery store wrote down the license plate on a newspaper and then discarded the newspaper. He was hypnotized to try to recover the plate number. He remembered three digits under hypnosis but those numbers could never been matched with any known van by Officer Gerald Dove who was assigned that task. This turned into a dead end yielding no results.

The second witness who claimed to have seen a "moss green" van said she saw the van pull into a neighbor's drive and heard a man ordering a woman who resembled Suzie not to do "anything stupid." However, she was so scared of this experience she did not come forward for several days. Not long afterwards I happened to be contacted by a young woman who had close contact with the McCalls. She informed me that this woman was deemed credible because she and her husband owned a used car business and she recognized the vintage of the van. However, when she was hypnotized to gain further detail, she became hysterical to the point that the lead investigator stopped the session out of concern for well being. As I recall, the lady who called me was present during this latter session and saw the results.

It is my view that neither of these individuals should be given more credibility than the numerous reports of the dirty white/tea stained van that cruised the neighborhood prior to the abduction for a full three weeks. It strains credulity to believe the perps would have had it repainted into a more readily identifiable color than the nondescript dirty white van. Alternatively, it is possible a second decoy van was used to confuse the investigation and that the "Suzie" was not the actual Suzie who is now missing and presumed deceased. If there was but one van then I would surely believe it was the dirty white/tea stained van. Why the police decided to go with the "moss green" van is beyond my understanding. And I would add that this is not an incidental matter. A dirty white van was later seen in two different places at two different times under very suspicious circumstances that dovetails very closely with the more likely scenario that would involve the dirty white van.

It is my view that neither of these individuals should be given more credibility than the numerous reports of the dirty white/tea stained van that cruised the neighborhood prior to the abduction for a full three weeks.

Agreed! I was only trying to come to some sense as to how SPD settled on the color green, and why.

Agreed! I was only trying to come to some sense as to how SPD settled on the color green, and why.

I learned recently from a pretty solid sorce with ties to the SPD that there was considerable differences within the department over the color of that van. I think this is something that needs to be fully aired by the current administration there. But they are not talking. In fact, they told the local newspaper reporter that they would refuse to talk about this particular case. Eventually they did when KY-3 did the recent television report but it was essentially more stonewalling. We were told that although the 5,300 + tips and information they had received were run to ground that "probably" the answer would be found in their file cabinets. We were told that independent experts had looked at the case and made suggestions but these experts were never identified nor the steps suggested made public. We were told their "experts" said the garage was "impossible", etc. Just more of the same old non response responses. Very frustrating and totally unrevealing.

Every time Suzie’s friends that were at the parties say that “Suzie wasn’t feeling well” I come back to the idea of her being “over-served”. And that leads me back to the waitress at George’s Steak House. I wonder if any effort was made to identify and interview any customers present at that hour, perhaps through credit card receipts. We don’t know who the other two witnesses were if in fact there were three call in reports as stated in news accounts. It is troubling that more customers did not come forward, if this is a legitimate sighting. And if it were three other women sighted in George’s that night why didn’t they come forward when the news accounts came out?

Missouri Mule, I was curious how u became so involved in this investigation? You seem to have a lot of information that others don't, I am curious as to your sources and interest.

In the original "48 hour" piece, Sgt. David Asher showed the rolodex file of Sherrill Levitt's customers and said that every one of those individuals would be contacted. I believe he estimated them at about 400. It later turned out to be 250 customers. Well, I happened to work with two of those individuals and nothing was ever asked of them by the police.

It has been widely reported that Sherrill Levitt had 250 names on her rolodex at the salon where she worked, and apparently not all of those individuals were ever contacted. Do we know if all of these names were actually customers of the salon? I wonder if the salon owner could identify all of the names as being customers of the salon. Could Sherrill have kept other names on there for whatever reason?

Missouri Mule, I was curious how u became so involved in this investigation? You seem to have a lot of information that others don't, I am curious as to your sources and interest.

Probably 30 years of investigation experience in various fields is what piqued my interest. I just want to know.

I just keep asking questions until I get answers. Investigation is a merely a matter of elimination of facts and suspects. I'd like to know and hopefully see the crime solved while I am still alive myself. What I do know for a certain fact is that this investigation was botched from the beginning. There is not a scintilla of doubt about that. And I have solid sourcing to make that statement.

What I can't understand is why the SPD is dragging their feet. If I know of three individuals who hold vital information and have not been interviewed then I have a natural question, as I'm sure you would. Why NOT? And then there is a fourth person who would have been ideally positioned to carry out this crime and secret those bodies away until the opportune time. And the police know about him too. I can't explain it. I can't explain it and they are not talking. And when a primary reporter states that the SPD are REFUSING to discuss the case, I can't but wonder why. What in the heck is going on here? If the best detective who ever worked this case says this case was worked like no other, I am much inclined to agree with him. I'm sure you would too.

It has been widely reported that Sherrill Levitt had 250 names on her rolodex at the salon where she worked, and apparently not all of those individuals were ever contacted. Do we know if all of these names were actually customers of the salon? I wonder if the salon owner could identify all of the names as being customers of the salon. Could Sherrill have kept other names on there for whatever reason?

This is one of the more interesting aspects of this case. On "48 hours" the original lead detective held up the rolodex file and said on camera that all of those folks would be contacted. Were they? Not to my knowledge and at least two people I worked with went to her; one as recently as two days prior to the abductions. Nothing out of the ordinary was in evidence.

The reason this is important is because if she had this thriving clientele it stands to reason that many discussions would have been held over the months and even years prior to the abductions. Are we to believe that not one of these individuals never noticed that she was under pressure of some sort due to the rumored "issues" she supposedly had? I think that is about as unlikely as little green men landing on my front lawn tonight. It's craziness to believe that. I get my haircut down at the local barbershop and it might take 15-20 minutes at most but we discuss all manner of subjects. I believe that I would notice something if my barber were acting oddly. I believe most people would.

Here we have someone, by all accounts, spent much of her time at home and even on the night of the abductions was finishing furniture in her small home. Not exactly the persona of someone who was alleged by ill informed rumor mongers to be engaged in illicit business of some sort. In fact, I think it is virtually non-existent that she was. But it certainly works to the police's advantage to have these unfounded tales out there because it takes the focus off the investigation and their demonstrated incompetence.

In short, I don't believe these people were contacted or if any were it was a perfunctory questioning much like the "investigation" that was shown on the "48 hour" piece where he and the others would knock on a door, say a "report" of something occurred and they would be invited in, look in both directions and then leave. Inspector Clouseau couldn't have done worse.

Has ANYONE asked the SPD about these names if if they were questioned in depth? Has ANYONE at the SPD ever volunteered any information about such questioning? If it happened it certainly wasn't in the news that I have seen. This is just one of many, many loose ends about this case.

The detective made an interesting observation during the "48 hour" piece which actually I agree with. He said the perps were home "laughing" at getting by with this crime (or words to that effect.) Yes, I imagine they were. On that much we are in agreement.

The reason this is important is because if she had this thriving clientele it stands to reason that many discussions would have been held over the months and even years prior to the abductions. Are we to believe that not one of these individuals never noticed that she was under pressure of some sort due to the rumored "issues" she supposedly had?

I wonder if one of Sherrill’s clients would have come forward if they thought of some unusual action or comment made by her prior to the disappearance. If that had happened I would think SPD would have mentioned it to a reporter even without reporting specific details about the tip. They would want it reported in the press if for no other reason than to see if it would trigger others to remember things and come forward. So far I have found no reference to any such tipsters coming forward in my search of the early news articles on the case.

I have no idea how many hair salons might be in a city the size of Springfield, each with three to six stylists. Would a client list of 250 be average? There were three stylists plus the owner where Sherrill worked; a client list approaching 1,000 for the salon? Times how many salons in town? See where I’m going with this? And I’m not sure if a client came one time, or twice a year there would be a need to have a name and phone number in a rolodex. My wife and I raised two daughters and I would say that none of them went to a salon over three or four times a year. And if they got a bad cut they probably tried a different shop next time. I don’t ever recall a stylist calling them to confirm an appointment or anything. I think my mom goes weekly, so her stylist might have her number on a rolodex somewhere.

I’m probably off base here, but I always wonder how all these places stay in business anyway when there is one on every corner.

At our house we get more calls and post cards from out veterinarian!

The CBS tape shows detectives finger printing the interior of the house. Does anyone remember reading anything about the results of this print search?

“…investigators found no hair samples, DNA or fingerprints from outsiders in the house.” KANSAS CITY STAR June 6, 2002.

Does the word “outsiders” mean “unidentified” in this case? With friends and possibly neighbors entering the house all day on the 7th before SPD was called that evening their prints would have been easily identified.

What I would like to know is if there were any prints that were identified as belonging to past friends or family that should not have been there in the short two months or so that Sherrill Levitt had lived there.

“Stu McCall quit his management job at a car dealership in 1997 and became a truckdriver for a cement company.”

“I thought maybe I’d get out on the road and look for Stacy.” He said.” End quote. KANSAS CITY STAR June 6, 2002.

It makes me wonder if his real motive was to see what he might learn about the various witness tips on the two cement workers who had a van, who vanished just after the disappearance.

“…investigators found no hair samples, DNA or fingerprints from outsiders in the house.” KANSAS CITY STAR June 6, 2002.

Does the word “outsiders” mean “unidentified” in this case? With friends and possibly neighbors entering the house all day on the 7th before SPD was called that evening their prints would have been easily identified.

What I would like to know is if there were any prints that were identified as belonging to past friends or family that should not have been there in the short two months or so that Sherrill Levitt had lived there.

Good questions. I don't believe that any news reports ever identified anyone in the house. I have read and heard that about 20 people who knew the women were known to have gone into the home after they abducted and the crime scene was said to be so contaminated as to be largely worthless. I think this is one of the many reasons to believe that the abductors were contractors who were paid to carry out this crime and not leave evidence behind. But that is only speculation.

One thing that has never been printed anywhere (to my knowledge) is something that I was told by someone (with LE connections) who claimed to have inside information. I am loathe to publish rumors, but since I heard this myself I will in this instance. And I am by no means an expert in the area myself. I was told that the investigation found clorox in the traps of the drains during the investigation. Can't verify it. Don't know what it means. Might not mean anything.

But to answer your question specifically, whose DNA and prints were in the home is one of the many unanswered loose ends that were never specifically addressed by the police investigation, or so far as I can recall. We know some of the better known individuals, friends, relatives, etc., but we don't know the entire list of all who were in the home. I would assume that any "outsider" would include someone who had no business in the home; for example myself. I was never there so had no business being there. I would think that professional contractors would know how to cover up their presence in the home by wearing gloves and wiping down the premises. That goes to the theory that this was an "organized" crime and not one of the spur of the moment. These women were supposed to dissappear for some as of yet unanswered reason.

The fact that Sherrill had only lived there for a couple of months or so should make it easy to determine any identified prints of individuals who should have not been to the home in that short amount of time.

“Stu McCall quit his management job at a car dealership in 1997 and became a truckdriver for a cement company.”

“I thought maybe I’d get out on the road and look for Stacy.” He said.” End quote. KANSAS CITY STAR June 6, 2002.

It makes me wonder if his real motive was to see what he might learn about the various witness tips on the two cement workers who had a van, who vanished just after the disappearance.

That's probably as good an explanation as I could think of.

This is one of the more unusual aspects of the case. I happened to see Mr. McCall up at the Buffalo Ford dealership (north of Springfield) along about 1995 when I happened to buy a vehicle there. I didn't speak to him but saw him in the office. I believe he was the finance manager if I recall correctly. It seems unusual for an individual to go from a normally well compensated job in the white collar ranks to driving a cement truck but perhaps it paid better or the dealership was in financial difficulties. It went out of business not too long thereafter.

My own personal take on this is that if two cement workers were involved with a "van" that the SPD and/or other LE authorities should have been able to ascertain who these individuals were and locate them and the van. Again, one more dangling loose end that has never been properly addressed so it is understandable to the public. Surely, they would have had payroll taxes withheld and their SSA numbers on file. It is inexplicable. If they were private contractors, how were they paid? Was it in cash? Did the employer not have ANY information on them? Again we just don't know. Frankly, I don't know why none of the news media haven't seen fit to get to the bottom of these obvious questions. I can't imagine how it would compromise the investigation by putting these rumors and speculations to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020