The Theater and the Shooting

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Quote pulled from story, dated 7/31:

"A man was arrested after cops say he walked into a movie theater near Aurora, Colo. with a gun on his waist."

He had a concealed carry permit. The article states the police department and the prosecutor are still looking into the charge, as CO is an open carry state. I recall reading something about Mapes wanting an apology from TPD.

KOA reported Mapes was wearing a shirt that said "Liberalism leads to terrorism." When asked about the shirt, Mapes said he put it on earlier in the day and "didn't think about how it would connect to the gun," according to the station.

Might not have been the best choice in shirt to wear while openly carrying a gun into a movie theater, IMO

Newsleuther - :waitasec: Cherry pick? What do you mean 'cherry pick'? (Rhetorical. No reply necessary.) I didn't do any cherry picking? I've gotten your point, though, thanks! If you have a beef with the NYC police commissioner, I suggest you might wish to take it up with him. Or perhaps you might consider beautiful, sunny Florida. ;)

Thanks for the comment on the gun packing guy's shirt. I noticed it, too. It wouldn't have been my first choice. ;)

Newsleuther - :waitasec: Cherry pick? What do you mean 'cherry pick'? (Rhetorical. No reply necessary.) I didn't do any cherry picking? I've gotten your point, though, thanks! If you have a beef with the NYC police commissioner, I suggest you might wish to take it up with him. Or perhaps you might consider beautiful, sunny Florida. ;)

Thanks for the comment on the gun packing guy's shirt. I noticed it, too. It wouldn't have been my first choice. ;)

Not meant as an insult, meant as picking one news story (the one you are familiar with) out of thousands of others.

I'm just giving my opinion as someone familiar with Commissioner Kelly outside of this particular event. The cops being sent to theaters was perceived locally as a ridiculous, wasteful use of resources.

I agree with you. He was just doing his job. The only problem I have with the "red hair" comment was Colorado police would not give out that detail nor release the suspect's mugshot so the question is if there was a fear of copycats across the nation, why would it not come from Colorado police department or the FBI? Perhaps because of the 9/11 tragedy and it is understadable that the commissioner would want to warn the residents but sadly, NYC is not the only target for mass murder copycats. As a matter of fact, weren't there 2 copycats shortly after this occurred. In Maryland and Maine?

Maybe it's just me but I just don't understand some of the actions taken by CPD after this crime occurred. Maybe we'll find out when this case finally goes to trial and we'll all understand why they did what they did or didn't do. :moo:

normally they release mugshot upon taken to the LE station , release of 911 and video surveillance of that theater ( buying tickets/ entrance to the theater at least if the end part is quite violent ) IMO..

This morning CNN reported on a fire in an Aurora apartment fire that killed two and injured 15. In reporting the news they went out of their way to mention the apartment was less than a block from Holmes' apartment but they don't think there is a connection.

Here's the story reported by KUSA, the CNN report was on tv.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2

Are those student apartments? I wonder who the 2 killed were.

....oh my, they are. Wow--check out this video about the Fitz Apartments on Peoria where the fire happened. http://www.fitzapts.com/

A few more details about the fire. http://www.timescall.com/ci_21254091/two-dead-25-injured-4-story-apartment-fire?source=most_viewed

http://www.app.com/article/20120721...nter-booby-trapped-apartment?odyssey=nav|head

Really weird....This article was about the evacuation of JH's apartment when they were dismantling the bombs.

Joanne Southard, who manages a nearby apartment complex, said she’s been impressed with the information coming from emergency managers. Investigators on Friday put a briefcase-sized air quality monitor atop her building, The Fitz Apartments.

“It’s kind of scary, but our emergency crews are handling it extremely well,” she says. “They’re keeping us very well informed.”

Standing the building’s roof in the morning sun, Southard, 55, said she’s confident it’s far enough away to survive any explosion. But she said she is concerned whether there might be asbestos in the building.

“I think their biggest concern right now is if that building goes up and asbestos gets into the air,” she said.

That is strange... they were more apartments for Uni Students?

It's right across from Anschutz Medical Campus. Fitz Apartments is advertising the convenience of being so close to campus in their website I mentioned a couple of posts prior. The article I posted mentioned that a variety of people live there, though, not only students (but students were included).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/22/aurora-cinema-james-holmes-massacre?newsfeed=true

Manager of Fitz Apartments had refused JH's application to rent there.

A block away one apartment manager spoke of her relief at having refused to rent to Holmes last April. Joanne Southard, 55, said Holmes had been neat and tidy when she encountered him, but his failure to answer or return phone calls gave her concern. "Thank God I had a sixth sense, otherwise he might have tried to build that thing in one of my apartments," she said.

Holmes's references for an apartment building were good. "They said he was quiet. He was happy," Southard said. His arrest record was also a blank, save for a single speeding ticket. All in all that made him a potential model tenant. But Southard turned him down. "He seemed nice. Clean cut. But I guess there was something just a little off. He seemed unreliable. So I said no," she said.

Yes. I remember hearing it LIVE now. And saying to myself (after hearing Oates confirm that he spoken to Ray Kelly earlier in the day), "Well there's your confirmation". From what I've seen of NYPC Kelly, he wouldn't just go making stuff up, out of thin air. MOO

I agree..

Kelly is no mouse; he is tough on guns, and carries out what he believes in. NYC is safe because he was top gun here. LOL

I live in NYC and I can see him greatly exaggerating, 100%... he's a grandstander and is known for it. In fact, after his press conference (which was totally unnecessary), my friends were all posting on twitter "here we go again, with his ridiculousness"

The "painted his hair red" comment was bizarre in and of itself.
I live in NYC too. he is not grandstanding. I dont care what you are al twitting.

Here come Kelly..he sais it like it is.....And We so like him.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...gun-violence-stop-and-frisk-community-leaders

You have your opinion, I have mine.

I don't care for the man, I have a lot of close friends that are NYPD that do not as well. Stop and Frisk is abhorrent, IMO. But that's for another thread.

OK stop and frisk is controversial. it may be profiling and it may be harassment too.
But most of the time it is not done unless they perceived that one has either a weapon or drugs.
That perception is due to "IF you see something Say something" They see a lot on the streets. YES a lot.
I don’t have an opinion on it because I have not yet heard that anyone was frisked with no reason.
I do not opine about what I do not know.

but I like the man he is tough on crime, and He is good at it.

OK stop and frisk is controversial. it may be profiling and it may be harassment too.
But most of the time it is not done unless they perceived that one has either a weapon or drugs.
That perception is due to "IF you see something Say something" They see a lot on the streets. YES a lot.
I don’t have an opinion on it because I have not yet heard that anyone was frisked with no reason.
I do not opine about what I do not know.

but I like the man he is tough on crime, and He is good at it.

Whenever I get a secondary screening by TSA and a good frisking, I just think "damn, I must be looking good today"... That's like stop and frisk; right? :D

Whenever I get a secondary screening by TSA and a good frisking, I just think "damn, I must be looking good today"... That's like stop and frisk; right? :D

What is a secondary screening?
When I travel I get one screening... so forgive me if I am not clear.

Stop and frisk is when the police in NYC can stop you and frisk you.
They do it because they saw something, maybe a weapon or drugs exchanged.
I live in an upscale area and have never ever seen it done. I have seen it once on the street in times Square,
sure enough the guy had ammunition.
Was I glad they stopped to frisk him? you bet.

Oh I know what stop and frisk is, I was just trying to inject a bit of silliness into the discussion...

Secondary screening is when you go through the body scanner (not xray), have no metal or suspicious objects on your person and still get a very personal pat down from the TSA agent...

What is a secondary screening?
When I travel I get one screening... so forgive me if I am not clear.

Stop and frisk is when the police in NYC can stop you and frisk you.
They do it because they saw something, maybe a weapon or drugs exchanged.
I live in an upscale area and have never ever seen it done. I have seen it once on the street in times Square,
sure enough the guy had ammunition.
Was I glad they stopped to frisk him? you bet.

Of course you don't see it, if you live in an upscale white area.

I have friends getting stopped for no reason other than they have tattoos and long hair over in Brooklyn. Or simply because they are WWB "walking while black"

They don't have to see anything to do it, that's the problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back