The Weather Channel: "A very bad week ahead"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WASHINGTON – Some of the killer tornadoes that ripped across the South may have been among the largest and most powerful ever recorded, experts suggested, leaving a death toll that is approaching that of a tragic "super outbreak" of storms almost 40 years ago.

"There's a pretty good chance some of these were a mile wide, on the ground for tens of miles and had wind speeds over 200 mph," said Harold Brooks of the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Okla.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110429/ap_on_sc/us_sci_severe_weather_terrible_twisters

The Red Cross has called out across the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and surrounding communities for all available Red Cross-trained volunteers to travel to MS and AL to assist.

If you are available, please contact your local RC chapter.

Rainbows are a sign of hope, just like after the great flood in the bible. Everything will be alright in the end. You are all in my prayers, in Jesus' Healing Name, amen. :blowkiss:

Thank you, Dark Knight.

(which does officially make the first time I have thanked a dark knight for a prayer. lol)

WASHINGTON – Some of the killer tornadoes that ripped across the South may have been among the largest and most powerful ever recorded, experts suggested, leaving a death toll that is approaching that of a tragic "super outbreak" of storms almost 40 years ago.

"There's a pretty good chance some of these were a mile wide, on the ground for tens of miles and had wind speeds over 200 mph," said Harold Brooks of the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Okla.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110429/ap_on_sc/us_sci_severe_weather_terrible_twisters

I followed the aftermath of the Japan earthquake and tsunami and then watched videos from these monsters that just hit the SE. Not to mention the autrosities we see here on WS daily. Later in the early morning hours today I watched the future King of England and his bride exchange their marriage vows. Although a happy occasion, I couldn't help but think that to those affected areas...it's the last thing on their minds. How blessed just to have a roof over head with a glass of water available at just the turn of a faucet or shelter from the weather. Thank you, Lord.

That one in Tuscaloosa was the most evil tornado I have ever seen. So many people have lost their lives and so many injured. Sending my heartfelt prayers up for all of the families who have suffered losses and tragedy.

Glad you and your family are ok T4Tide. Seems we were both very lucky. I got out today to take hubby to doctor and saw a small amount of damage going up Eastern Valley Road. Made my heart sink. And that damage is nothing compared to Tuscaloosa and other hard hit areas. We have our power back on and I am thankful for that. My dad is on oxygen around the clock and TV is all he has and he was getting so restless. My heart is just breaking for all those suffering.

Thank you, Dark Knight.

(which does officially make the first time I have thanked a dark knight for a prayer. lol)

LOL! Sometimes the good guys wear black. ;) And you're very welcome!

This is horrible sad news:( I haven't checked in on the weather for a few days.
When people hear the sirens, what do they do? Sorry I've never lived in a area with sirens and always wonder how people react, and where do they go?

When people hear the sirens, what do they do? Sorry I've never lived in a area with sirens and always wonder how people react, and where do they go?

To our basements, or if we don't have a basement, to the safest area on the ground floor of the house, away from windows. If we're in a trailer or vehicle, we go to a ditch or low lying area outside, away from trees and powerlines.

ETA: As to how we react, different people react differently. Some completely freak out, but most simply act with great urgency and move very, very quickly.

NORMAN, Okla. – At least one of the massive tornadoes that killed hundreds across the South this week was a devastating EF-5 storm, according to an analysis Friday by the National Weather Service, which suspects several others also were the worst of the worst.

After the first day of assessing storm damage, the weather service said the tornado that hit Smithville, Miss., at 3:44 p.m. EDT on Wednesday was an EF-5 storm. That's the highest rating given to assess a tornado's wind speed, and is based in part on damage caused by the storm.

The weather service said the half-mile wide Smithville tornado had peak winds of 205 mph and was on the ground for close to three miles, killing 14 and injuring 40.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110430/ap_on_re_us/us_severe_weather_tornado_rating

I live in Wisconsin, where we have our share of storms. We've been spared these past weeks, but it still hits home.

West Allis woman killed trying to save infant nephew
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/121028219.html
West Allis resident Tammi Glasgow died trying to save her 9-week-old nephew from a tornado that struck her brother's rural home in Cleveland, Tenn., late Wednesday.

When rescue workers found them two days later, the baby's body was cradled in Glasgow's arms, family members said.

"The baby was taken up to heaven in the arms of his aunt," said Glasgow's sister, Daeni Belling of West Bend.

I cried when I read this. My thoughts are will all of those affected by the storms in the south.

First, drag the cat squawling horrendously out from under a bed.
Second, try to carry the 18 pound cat while she tries desperately to get away down a flight of stairs.
Third, enter the first floor bathroom under the stairs, close the door, release cat, and begin applying bandaids to cat scratches while muttering: "Next time you can become a flying cat for all I care!" :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMay
Back