The Weather Channel: "A very bad week ahead"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still holding out all my prayers for everyone in danger, who've lost their lives, and who've had their lives irretreivably changed.

Be with them, God, now and always. Let them know Your presence, Your love, and Your strength in the days ahead.

Best-
HC

We were very lucky. We have some huge trees down in pasture and one dead cow. Have been without power since 5am yesterday. But no damage to house or yard and all of my people are ok. We are between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham and watched in horror (TV, generator) as the tornado was hitting Tuscaloosa. Please continue to pray for all the loss and people still missing loved ones. You can go to myfoxal.com and see a list of the missing, some with pictures.

Glad you're okay, 8paws!! That must have been so scary!!! Even though you had some minor damage and lost a cow (poor thing!!), it sounds like you escaped anything more serious. Great news!

I just wanted to say I have you all that suffered damage and losses in the massive tornado outbreak, in my heart. Sending prayers and hopes for speedy recovery. These were just massive areas of destruction. Just know that we truly care.

Thoughts and prayers ongoing for all those whose lives were devastated by these storms. Just tragic, the loss of life, the property damage.

Absolutely amazing. I've been reading stories/watching videos/looking at pictures all morning.

Maybe it's already been covered in this thread but what is the reason for a lot of the southern states not having basements? I thank GOD I have a basement! I would be so scared otherwise!

Where we lived for 15 years in GA the water table was too high for a basement. It would have been a pond 95% of the time. We're in PA now and I LOVE our basement (even if it is full of radon).

I just read that two Alabama University students lost their lives in the storm. Just devastating.

Shelter Pet Project PLEASE SHARE! We continue to hear from shelters and rescuers in Alabama and other Southern states that have been devastated by tornadoes. Many animals are homeless and many shelters have been left without water and power, or outright destroyed. The shelters have one message: PLEASE ADOPT ANIMALS IN AND NEAR AFFECTED AREAS, to create room for displaced pets. We are featuring pets from these areas on our Facebook page, with contact information to adopt them; some rescue groups are offering FREE transportation to out of area adopters! Please share this message with your friends and family.

This sweet little guy is Jamie, and he's at the Humane Society of West Alabama -- one of our sponsors has a staff member in the area, and she has reported that no one has been able to reach this shelter since the storms. If you want to find more information about animals in the area, check out Animals Lost & Found from the Tornadoes in Alabama on 4/27/11. If you'd like to learn more about Jamie, you can try contacting the shelter through this link: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18918372

Please keep the victims of these tornadoes in your prayers. The devastation around here is absolutely unbelievable. It wouldn't have mattered where some of the folks were in their homes, thier homes aren't there anymore. We are finding debris in Birmingham from Tuscaloosa, which is an hour away. It is crazy and so scary! Thank you.

My youngest daughter is a junior at the university of Alabama, and was in Tuscaloosa during the storm. She, her boyfriend, his brother and roommates went to the basement of her boyfriend's off-campus rental house. They were safe there. The devastation cannot adequately be put into words. She arrived home to Birmingham safely at 7:45 pm, safe, but still in a state of shock

While I am grateful that my daughter, her boyfriend and others dear to me are ok, my heart goes out to those who lost their lives, and to those who now must go on without their loved ones. Any of us with a son or daughter at the University of Alabama could have been mourning a child's loss. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone affected by the tornados,

I live in Tuscaloosa county, and I am almost without words at this point. We live in the extreme north part of the county. I simply cannot explain what we lives through over the past 24 hours! We started at 3:45 am with a storm system that caused wide spread damage. We then moved into the afternoon with a tornado just 1/2 north of my house. I have several friends whose houses are simply gone. This is NOT the tornado you see reported in Tuscaloosa. There were so many, and so much devastation around us. When that tornado came through, the air was literally sucked out of our underground storm shelter through the vents. It was the eeriest of things! We lost power around then. When the big one (we were constantly under a warning, so we just camped out in the shelter watching movies on the laptop) came through Tuscaloosa, we were watching from outside our shelter. We are about 20 miles from the location it hit. All we could see was a huge storm cloud with a large arched rainbow over it. I hope I can figure out how to post it from my phone. We had several more warnings before the night was over. We have minor damage, still without power and they are telling us it may be a week before it is restored. We have a generator, so we are thankful for that. We are also thankful for our storm shelter! My dh is on a field trip to D.C. with my oldest son, so I have been doing this all by myself, with a 9, 7, and 4 year old! We live in the middle of 70 acres, and have few neighbors, but I've been checked on plenty :)

My dog was injured in the storms (so we think) and I had to carry him into town tonight to the vet. While we were there, the kids and I went and walked by the damaged area, and my heart will never recover. It's just gone. Piles of debris, metal, and mud. Two whole communities no longer exist. Four different schools were totally leveled. Thank God schools had already cancelled, or we would be looking at further loss of life. Our town really needs your prayers!

If you would like to know how you can further help, you can visit our local newspaper website, Tuscaloosanews.com and you can also "like" Tuscaloosa on FB. I know they are asking for blood donations everywhere, and the Red Cross is taking donations. If you would like to donate to a church or other local charity, please PM me and I can send u in the right direction with a phone number. I am usually the last one to ask for help, but after seeing the loss today, I am not beyond asking at all. We are going to need it! And the people who need it most can't ask right now. :(

This is our Katrina.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304056872.414802.jpg

This was the storm as it moved through Tuscaloosa from our house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304057340.093326.jpg

This was standing in a shopping center near our busiest intersection. It's all just gone. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304057503.459410.jpg

Steel beams just bent over like they were taffy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304057665.359553.jpg

This is what a trampoline looks like when it's stuck in a light pole.

T4Tide I am so glad that you and yours are ok. Property ok?

Prayers for the ones who have lost loved ones and/or property.

T4Tide, I too am glad you and yours are okay. How is your dog?

Thank you for posting those pictures and describing to us what you witnessed. Most of all thank you for posting about helping those that really can't help themselves right now.

T4Tide, thanks so much for sharing. I'm so glad you and your family are okay! And kudos for going through all of that without hubby!!!

You really bring a personal touch to the devastation. My heart and prayers go out to you and everyone around you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMay
Back