Things that are Plaguing Me

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Its easy to say what we would have done from behind our computer screens 14 years later. If the R's weren't involved and it was an intruder, Im sure it was just unbelievable chaos. I dont think I would have let my other child out of my sight..friends or not but who knows..
the truth is stranger than fiction.

Its easy to say what we would have done from behind our computer screens 14 years later. If the R's weren't involved and it was an intruder, Im sure it was just unbelievable chaos. I dont think I would have let my other child out of my sight..friends or not but who knows..
the truth is stranger than fiction.

But what if they were involved? Maybe the screaming and running around NEVER occurred. I mean, how can a 9 year old, not hear a scream, not wake up when a frantic Patsy and John had the ransom note conversation on the second floor, not arouse to his parents opening his door and having a short conversation, only to arouse when they are on the phone with the 911 operator. Remember, even if you didn't hear the tape on Geraldo, the R's later admitted they lied about the fact that Burke was asleep during the call.

It's possible that the R's did not want Burke awake. Did not want him to witness any activity happening in the house, prior to LE arriving. That his door was partially open, like John said it normally was and wasn't aroused prior to actual noise (Patsy hysterical on the 911 call), occurred.

I do agree that truth is stranger than fiction. I believe the R's telling of events, is fiction, rather than truth.

If the R's were involved then it does make sense they wouldnt want Burke awake and maybe would send him off with friends that morning.. The 911 call is convincing though. Patsy is out of breath, clearly very upset. she would have to be one hell of an actress to pull it off. The other thing is, if one of my 3 boys was missing in the morning, I cant imagine my other boys would just say, oh well, lets go to the neighbors and play nintendo. he was nine..not 5. Its never been portrayed that Burke wanted to stay with his parents, or put up a fight at all. I think thats odd.

I would think the intense fear of someone taking my other kid would make me keep the kids close to me no matter what. I wouldnt have let my other kids out of my sight that morning; no matter what they had to see or hear.

John tears down the stairs; he seems to be shouting, but nothing makes sense.

"Burke!" John yells. What about Burke?".

Both of us race to Burke's room at the far end of the second floor and find him apparently still asleep. Best not to arouse him until we figure out what's happening here, I think. He's better off asleep for now, I step into the hall.

Why not wake him to ask if he has seen or heard anything? Why not enter his room to make sure the intruder was not hiding there?

"apparently" still asleep. Wouldn't you want to know if he was dead or alive? did they watch the covers rising and falling and knew he was breathing? That is just not normal parental behavior. IMO

If the R's were involved then it does make sense they wouldnt want Burke awake and maybe would send him off with friends that morning.. The 911 call is convincing though. Patsy is out of breath, clearly very upset. she would have to be one hell of an actress to pull it off. The other thing is, if one of my 3 boys was missing in the morning, I cant imagine my other boys would just say, oh well, lets go to the neighbors and play nintendo. he was nine..not 5. Its never been portrayed that Burke wanted to stay with his parents, or put up a fight at all. I think thats odd.

Extremely odd and detached behavior. In any of these books written, were there descriptions by the friends of Burke's behavior right after being removed from the home for ninentendo time? Odd indeed.

http://www.acandyrose.com/1997BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.htm

TT: Okay. Patsy, I need to go through a couple of things here. What medications are you on right now? Are you still on Paxel?
PR: I’m on Paxel, um hum.
TT: How often do you take that?
PR: In the evenings (inaudible) once a day.
TT: Just a bedtime?
PR: Um hum.
TT: And, what’s the dose on that?
PR: 30 milligrams.

TT: And, are you taking anything else right now?
PR: I just started Monday taking something for this sinus infection. I know your going to ask me the name of it.
TT: Is it an over the, I’ll start (inaudible).
PR: No, it’s a prescription.
TT: Okay.
PR: You take it once a day for five days. Dr. Beuf prescribed it.
TT: Okay. And, are you taking anything else right now?
PR: Um, no.
TT: Any over the counter medication, vitamins . . .
PR: Vitamins. I’m taking vitamin C.
PR: (Inaudible) vitamin C.
TT: Just for that sinus infection?
PR: Right.
TT: Is that an ongoing type or just . . .
PR: Well, I just. . .
TT: (Inaudible)
PR: I just, since Monday started taking a lot of it.
TT: Okay. Okay. Um, any, any other uh, any other drugs, originally you were taking Paxel and what was the other drug you were taking? Lorzipan.
PR: Ah yeah, right.
TT: Are you still taking that at all?
PR: Uh, occasionally. Kind of as, on an as needed basis.
TT: When was the last time you took the Lorizpan?
PR: Uh, I took one last night about 6:30.
TT: How’s that, how’s that one make you feel. I mean, out of the two do any of them effect you at all that you can notice?
PR: I mean I don’t really notice anything, but I, usually I take the Adavan if I’m, I start getting, evenings are difficult for me.
TT: Um hum.

PR: When I start getting tired and I feel the onset of this, not feeling real good. Last night I was pretty, I just been missing JonBenet a lot lately.
PR: And uh, you know, it, it seems to, to kind of quell that . . .
TT: Takes the edge off a little bit.
PR: Takes the edge off a little bit.
TT: What kind of dose are you taking on the Adavan when you take it?
PR: Uh, a half milligram.
TT: Okay. Took it last night, how, about how many times a week are you taking that? Once, twice?
PR: Well, probably a couple.
TT: A couple of times a week is all?
PR: Yeah.

TT: Okay. The Adavan and the Paxel, um . . .
PR: The Paxel is an anti-depressant.
TT: Um hum. Either one of them, do you think either one of them’s kind of, uh, changing your thought process or clouding your mind, memory, anything like that?
PR: No.
TT: Okay. It’s not, not effecting any judgment or anything like that?
PR: No, huh uh.

TT: Okay. Um, I all this, I know with the sinus infection your probably not even thinking about it, um, have you taken any alcohol? How much alcohol . . .
PR: No. I don’t drink alcohol.
TT: Okay. Uh, do you drink alcohol at all?
PR: No. Not since I’ve been on the Paxel at all.

I wonder if Patsy was taking the Lorazepam/Adavan prior to JBRs death? Maybe given while she battled cancer. It would give a great explination for what took place that night. Just as it explains her confusion in her interviews.... Ive posted a snip of the 1997 BPD interview at the top, below I have snip from Wiki, about Lorazepam and the link too the source.....

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam[/ame]

Lorazepam (initially marketed under the brand names Ativan and Temesta) is a high potency benzodiazepine drug which has all five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic, amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant.[4][5] Lorazepam is used for the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia, acute seizures including status epilepticus and sedation of hospitalised patients, as well as sedation of aggressive patients.[5][6][7][8]
Lorazepam is considered to be a short-acting drug which, similar to other benzodiazepines, exerts its therapeutic as well as adverse effects via its interaction at benzodiazepine binding sites, which are located on GABAA receptors in the central nervous system. After its introduction in 1977, lorazepam's principal use was in treating anxiety. Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has a relatively high addictive potential.[4][9] Lorazepam also has abuse potential; the main types of misuse are for recreational purposes or continued use against medical advice.[10] The sedative-hypnotic and anterograde amnesia properties of lorazepam are sometimes used for criminal purposes.[11][12]
Long-term effects of benzodiazepines include tolerance, dependence, a benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome and cognitive impairments which may not completely reverse after cessation of treatment; however, for most patients, cognitive impairment is not severe. Withdrawal symptoms can range from anxiety and insomnia to seizures and psychosis. Due to tolerance and dependence, lorazepam is recommended for short-term use, 2–4 weeks only. Adverse effects including anterograde amnesia, depression and paradoxical effects such as excitement or worsening of seizures may occur. Children and the elderly are more sensitive to the adverse effects of benzodiazepines.[4][13][14] Lorazepam impairs body balance and standing steadiness and is associated with falls and hip fractures in the elderly.[15]

Adverse effects

Any of the five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects possessed by lorazepam (sedative/hypnotic, muscle relaxant, anxiolytic, amnesic, and anticonvulsant) may be considered as "adverse effects," or "side effects," if unwanted.[5] Adverse effects can include, ataxia, sedation and hypotension; the effects of lorazepam are increased in combination with other CNS depressant drugs.[7][8] Other adverse effects include confusion, ataxia, anterograde amnesia and hangover effects. With long-term use of benzodiazepines it is unclear whether cognitive impairments fully return to normal after cessation of therapy; cognitive deficits persist for at least 6 months post-withdrawal, but it is possible that longer than 6 months is required for recovery of cognitive function. Lorazepam appears to have more profound adverse effects on memory than other benzodiazepines; lorazepam impairs both explicit memory and implicit memory. In the elderly, falls may occur as a result of benzodiazepines. Adverse effects are more common in the elderly, and they appear at lower doses than in younger patients. Benzodiazepines can cause or worsen depression. Paradoxical effects can also occur, such as worsening of seizures, or paradoxical excitement; paradoxical excitement is more likely to occur in the elderly, children, those with a history of alcohol abuse and in people with a history of aggression or anger problems.[4] Lorazepam's effects are dose-dependent, meaning the higher the dose, the stronger the effects (and side effects) will be. Using the smallest dose needed to achieve desired effects lessens the risk of adverse effects.
Sedation is the most complained-of side effect. In a group of around 3500 patients treated for anxiety, the most common side effects complained of from lorazepam were sedation (15.9%), dizziness (6.9%), weakness (4.2%), and unsteadiness (3.4%). Side effects such as sedation and unsteadiness increased with age.[42] Cognitive impairment, behavioural disinhibition and respiratory depression as well as hypotension may also occur.[23][33]
Paradoxical effects: In some cases, there can be paradoxical effects with benzodiazepines, such as increased hostility, aggression, angry outbursts, and psychomotor agitation. These effects are seen as more common with lorazepam than other benzodiazepines.[43] Paradoxical effects are more likely to occur with higher doses, in patients with pre-existing personality disorders and those with a psychiatric illness. It is worth noting that frustrating stimuli may trigger such reactions, even though the drug may have been prescribed to help the patient cope with such stress and frustration in the first place. As paradoxical effects appear to be dose-related, they usually subside on dose reduction or on complete withdrawal of lorazepam.[44][45][46][11][47][48]
Suicidality: Benzodiazepines may sometimes unmask suicidal ideation in depressed patients, possibly through disinhibition or fear reduction. The concern is that, though relatively nontoxic in themselves[verification needed], benzodiazepines may inadvertently become facilitators of suicidal behaviour.[49] Lorazepam should, therefore, not be prescribed in high doses or as the sole treatment in depression, but only with an appropriate antidepressant[specify].
Amnesic effects: Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has relatively strong amnesic effects,[5][50] but patients soon develop tolerance to this with regular use. To avoid amnesia (or excess sedation) being a problem, the initial total daily lorazepam dose should not exceed 2 mg. This also applies to use for night sedation. Five participants in a sleep study were prescribed lorazepam 4 mg at night, and the next evening three subjects unexpectedly volunteered memory gaps for parts of that day, an effect that subsided completely after 2–3 days' use.[51] Amnesic effects cannot be estimated from the degree of sedation present, since the two effects are unrelated.
High dose or prolonged parentally administered lorazepam is sometimes associated with propylene glycol intoxication.[23][52]
Full lists of Lorazepam side effects:
For lists of lorazepam side effects, refer to the manufacturers' data sheets. Please note that some may list side effects for the entire benzodiazepine class, not the specific side effect profile for lorazepam.

You really should read about this drug... My guess is, PR was given this when she was dealing with the cancer. Mentally fragile suffering from DID. PR had been through massive amounts of chemo. Keep in mind this was just an experimental treatment, no one knows what side effects it had at the time (curious to know, what they know now) and chemo has been known to effect the mind (not on all people). Whne given this serious drug and possibly becoming addicted.... Well, you can see where Im going with this. Please remember this is just an opinion and a theory.

Thanks for that informative post, Aggie. A couple of thoughts I had while reading it: my mother in law and sister in law were both prescribed Ativan while undergoing chemo for Lymphoma and brain cancer. They had different doctors in different cities so this could very well be a common drug used in cancer treatment.
Patsy mentioned taking one half milligram per day. I know everyone is different but the doctor gave my mother one half a milligram before a bone marrow biopsy and she slept through the whole thing. Woke up and asked me when they were going to start! Anyone who has ever been through a bone marrow biopsy knows they are extremely painful.

http://www.acandyrose.com/1997BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.htm

TT: Okay. Patsy, I need to go through a couple of things here. What medications are you on right now? Are you still on Paxel?
PR: I’m on Paxel, um hum.
TT: How often do you take that?
PR: In the evenings (inaudible) once a day.
TT: Just a bedtime?
PR: Um hum.
TT: And, what’s the dose on that?
PR: 30 milligrams.

TT: And, are you taking anything else right now?
PR: I just started Monday taking something for this sinus infection. I know your going to ask me the name of it.
TT: Is it an over the, I’ll start (inaudible).
PR: No, it’s a prescription.
PR: You take it once a day for five days. Dr. Beuf prescribed it.
TT: Okay. And, are you taking anything else right now?
PR: Um, no.
TT: Any over the counter medication, vitamins . . .
PR: Vitamins. I’m taking vitamin C.
PR: (Inaudible) vitamin C.
TT: Just for that sinus infection?
PR: Right.
TT: Is that an ongoing type or just . . .
PR: Well, I just. . .
TT: (Inaudible)
PR: I just, since Monday started taking a lot of it.
TT: Okay. Okay. Um, any, any other uh, any other drugs, originally you were taking Paxel and what was the other drug you were taking? Lorzipan.
PR: Ah yeah, right.
TT: Are you still taking that at all?
PR: Uh, occasionally. Kind of as, on an as needed basis.
TT: When was the last time you took the Lorizpan?
PR: Uh, I took one last night about 6:30.
TT: How’s that, how’s that one make you feel. I mean, out of the two do any of them effect you at all that you can notice?
PR: I mean I don’t really notice anything, but I, usually I take the Adavan if I’m, I start getting, evenings are difficult for me.
TT: Um hum.

PR: When I start getting tired and I feel the onset of this, not feeling real good. Last night I was pretty, I just been missing JonBenet a lot lately.
PR: And uh, you know, it, it seems to, to kind of quell that . . .
TT: Takes the edge off a little bit.
PR: Takes the edge off a little bit.
TT: What kind of dose are you taking on the Adavan when you take it?
PR: Uh, a half milligram.
TT: Okay. Took it last night, how, about how many times a week are you taking that? Once, twice?
PR: Well, probably a couple.
TT: A couple of times a week is all?
PR: Yeah.

TT: Okay. The Adavan and the Paxel, um . . .
PR: The Paxel is an anti-depressant.
TT: Um hum. Either one of them, do you think either one of them’s kind of, uh, changing your thought process or clouding your mind, memory, anything like that?
PR: No.
TT: Okay. It’s not, not effecting any judgment or anything like that?
PR: No, huh uh.

TT: Okay. Um, I all this, I know with the sinus infection your probably not even thinking about it, um, have you taken any alcohol? How much alcohol . . .
PR: No. I don’t drink alcohol.
TT: Okay. Uh, do you drink alcohol at all?
PR: No. Not since I’ve been on the Paxel at all.

I wonder if Patsy was taking the Lorazepam/Adavan prior to JBRs death? Maybe given while she battled cancer. It would give a great explanation for what took place that night. Just as it explains her confusion in her interviews.... Ive posted a snip of the 1997 BPD interview at the top, below I have snip from Wiki, about Lorazepam and the link too the source.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam

Lorazepam (initially marketed under the brand names Ativan and Temesta) is a high potency benzodiazepine drug which has all five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic, amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant.[4][5] Lorazepam is used for the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia, acute seizures including status epilepticus and sedation of hospitalised patients, as well as sedation of aggressive patients.[5][6][7][8]
Lorazepam is considered to be a short-acting drug which, similar to other benzodiazepines, exerts its therapeutic as well as adverse effects via its interaction at benzodiazepine binding sites, which are located on GABAA receptors in the central nervous system. After its introduction in 1977, lorazepam's principal use was in treating anxiety. Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has a relatively high addictive potential.[4][9] Lorazepam also has abuse potential; the main types of misuse are for recreational purposes or continued use against medical advice.[10] The sedative-hypnotic and anterograde amnesia properties of lorazepam are sometimes used for criminal purposes.[11][12]
Long-term effects of benzodiazepines include tolerance, dependence, a benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome and cognitive impairments which may not completely reverse after cessation of treatment; however, for most patients, cognitive impairment is not severe. Withdrawal symptoms can range from anxiety and insomnia to seizures and psychosis. Due to tolerance and dependence, lorazepam is recommended for short-term use, 2–4 weeks only. Adverse effects including anterograde amnesia, depression and paradoxical effects such as excitement or worsening of seizures may occur. Children and the elderly are more sensitive to the adverse effects of benzodiazepines.[4][13][14] Lorazepam impairs body balance and standing steadiness and is associated with falls and hip fractures in the elderly.[15]

Adverse effects

Any of the five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects possessed by lorazepam (sedative/hypnotic, muscle relaxant, anxiolytic, amnesic, and anticonvulsant) may be considered as "adverse effects," or "side effects," if unwanted.[5] Adverse effects can include, ataxia, sedation and hypotension; the effects of lorazepam are increased in combination with other CNS depressant drugs.[7][8] Other adverse effects include confusion, ataxia, anterograde amnesia and hangover effects. With long-term use of benzodiazepines it is unclear whether cognitive impairments fully return to normal after cessation of therapy; cognitive deficits persist for at least 6 months post-withdrawal, but it is possible that longer than 6 months is required for recovery of cognitive function. Lorazepam appears to have more profound adverse effects on memory than other benzodiazepines; lorazepam impairs both explicit memory and implicit memory. In the elderly, falls may occur as a result of benzodiazepines. Adverse effects are more common in the elderly, and they appear at lower doses than in younger patients. Benzodiazepines can cause or worsen depression. Paradoxical effects can also occur, such as worsening of seizures, or paradoxical excitement; paradoxical excitement is more likely to occur in the elderly, children, those with a history of alcohol abuse and in people with a history of aggression or anger problems.[4] Lorazepam's effects are dose-dependent, meaning the higher the dose, the stronger the effects (and side effects) will be. Using the smallest dose needed to achieve desired effects lessens the risk of adverse effects.
Sedation is the most complained-of side effect. In a group of around 3500 patients treated for anxiety, the most common side effects complained of from lorazepam were sedation (15.9%), dizziness (6.9%), weakness (4.2%), and unsteadiness (3.4%). Side effects such as sedation and unsteadiness increased with age.[42] Cognitive impairment, behavioural disinhibition and respiratory depression as well as hypotension may also occur.[23][33]
Paradoxical effects: In some cases, there can be paradoxical effects with benzodiazepines, such as increased hostility, aggression, angry outbursts, and psychomotor agitation. These effects are seen as more common with lorazepam than other benzodiazepines.[43] Paradoxical effects are more likely to occur with higher doses, in patients with pre-existing personality disorders and those with a psychiatric illness. It is worth noting that frustrating stimuli may trigger such reactions, even though the drug may have been prescribed to help the patient cope with such stress and frustration in the first place. As paradoxical effects appear to be dose-related, they usually subside on dose reduction or on complete withdrawal of lorazepam.[44][45][46][11][47][48]
Suicidality: Benzodiazepines may sometimes unmask suicidal ideation in depressed patients, possibly through disinhibition or fear reduction. The concern is that, though relatively nontoxic in themselves[verification needed], benzodiazepines may inadvertently become facilitators of suicidal behaviour.[49] Lorazepam should, therefore, not be prescribed in high doses or as the sole treatment in depression, but only with an appropriate antidepressant[specify].
Amnesic effects: Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has relatively strong amnesic effects,[5][50] but patients soon develop tolerance to this with regular use. To avoid amnesia (or excess sedation) being a problem, the initial total daily lorazepam dose should not exceed 2 mg. This also applies to use for night sedation. Five participants in a sleep study were prescribed lorazepam 4 mg at night, and the next evening three subjects unexpectedly volunteered memory gaps for parts of that day, an effect that subsided completely after 2–3 days' use.[51] Amnesic effects cannot be estimated from the degree of sedation present, since the two effects are unrelated.
High dose or prolonged parentally administered lorazepam is sometimes associated with propylene glycol intoxication.[23][52]
Full lists of Lorazepam side effects:
For lists of lorazepam side effects, refer to the manufacturers' data sheets. Please note that some may list side effects for the entire benzodiazepine class, not the specific side effect profile for lorazepam.

You really should read about this drug... My guess is, PR was given this when she was dealing with the cancer. Mentally fragile suffering from DID. PR had been through massive amounts of chemo. Keep in mind this was just an experimental treatment, no one knows what side effects it had at the time (curious to know, what they know now) and chemo has been known to effect the mind (not on all people). When given this serious drug and possibly becoming addicted.... Well, you can see where I'm going with this. Please remember this is just an opinion and a theory.

Believe me, Agatha, this is not the first time we've discussed PR's drug use and the possible effects it might have had. I know exactly where you're going with this, and for what it's worth, I think it's a good lead, as good as anything. This is an area I believe must be researched more fully. If these drugs have these dangerous side effects, we owe it to JonBenet and we owe it to Patsy to make sure that nothing like this happens again.

Believe me, Agatha, this is not the first time we've discussed PR's drug use and the possible effects it might have had. I know exactly where you're going with this, and for what it's worth, I think it's a good lead, as good as anything. This is an area I believe must be researched more fully. If these drugs have these dangerous side effects, we owe it to JonBenet and we owe it to Patsy to make sure that nothing like this happens again.

We also don't know if she was on any over the counter drugs like sleep aids. Have you SEEN those potential side effects? Irrational behavior, including doing things while asleep (walking, talking, eating, driving, etc.) that you have no memory of the next day.
It is very possible that Patsy may have snapped and killed JB and honestly have no memory of it.

PR has to many memory lapses for me, it goes beyond lying. Its almost as if she doesnt know a lot about what she or anyone does. Like the rubber bands from the news papers (quoting from memory, here) "I think thats where I would put the rubber bands from the paper." No need for a lie there or to be vague, so why does she only thinks she does it? Y'all know more about this then I do, but her memory problems go far beyond even the crime, its sad really. Unless she is a habitual liar and then well, lying is what she does.

Oh PR, were you brilliant or did you really just need some help?

Alright folks, long night ahead. Im waiting for a yet another broken child (Actually 2, but one will have to stay at childrens overnight) When will people realize that children are people to. Citizens of this United States protected under the same constitution? Damn!

Anyway, while I wait Im going to post research on Benzodiazepines (Ativan, Valium, and Lorazepam fall under this group of drugs)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15029082

[Benzodiazepines and forensic aspects].

Michel L, Lang JP.

The international literature describes about 30 years since the occurrence of states of agitation with extreme aggression in a context of disinhibition, sometimes complicated passages in the crime or criminals. These episodes are accompanied by anterograde amnesia total or near total. If some molecules are more frequently involved (flunitrazepam, clorazepate, diazepam, alprazolam or triazolam), all have this potential to varying degrees depending on their characteristics. In fact, a number of factors appear to interact, related to the pharmacological properties of the molecule, the method of catch and related products, as well as underlying psychopathological context. Our practice in prisons allows us to grasp how these situations are common forensic mostly unmarked and in any case ignored by judges in their evaluation responsibilities. We can therefore only reiterate the importance of informing our patients of the risks inherent in this type of consumption and our responsibility in massive prescriptions of benzodiazepines known for their potential disinhibiting.

Adverse effects of benzodiazepines are well known since the first one was used in 1958 (chlordiazepoxide). The literature collects study-cases or rarely controlled studies concerning side effects or paradoxical reactions to benzodiazepines. They mostly described drowsiness and behavioral disinhibition, including increased well-being feeling but also hostility, rage access with feeling of invulnerability, serious crimes and sometimes homicides. Delusional, manic, confusional or depressive states are also pointed out. Rate for aggressive behaviour is 0.3 to 0.7% but distinction should be done between accidental or "idiosyncratic" reaction and voluntary sought disinhibition, clearly more frequent. No benzodiazepine has any specificity for these adverse effects but pharmacology, doses, associated drugs (or alcohol) and psychopathology interact to produce hazardous psychic states. Pharmacology: GABA induces a decrease in serotonin compound and vigilance. Pharmacokinetic: first dose effect or over-dose effect, short half-life, lipophily, affinity, digestive absorption, active metabolites interact. Psychopathology: age, alcohol association, psychological status (high initial level of hostility, impulsivity, frustration, personality disorder and depressive status). External conditions: chronic illness, affective and professional frustrations, physical or psychic exhaustion contribute also. Some benzodiazepines (flunitrazepam, diazepam, clorazepate, triazolam, alprazolam, lorazepam, for example) are more often concerned for pharmacokinetics characteristics but also prescription habits. Forensic aspects should be considered in case of homicide. Especially, reality of benzodiazepines consumption and awareness of the potential paradoxical reaction should be precisely evaluated. Special focus on voluntary induced disinhibition has to be done for forensic considerations. Relationship but also crime facilitations are sometimes consciously sought. Some benzodiazepines have already been identified for this use: flunitrazepam, clorazepate but also triazolam and temazepam in UK, alprazolam in USA. Flunitrazepam is prohibited in USA and considered as narcotics in France. A Swedish study showed that violent acts were more frequent and serious in juvenile offenders taking flunitrazepam/alcohol than other young offenders staying in the same correctional institution. They recommended classification of flunitrazepam as narcotic. A study from Belgium with drug addicts concluded in the same way and asked for an increased information of professionals and a more efficient control of the delivery. Before concluding to idiosyncratic effect, and then possibly to penal irresponsibility, the forensic approach should consider: firstly the reality of the benzodiazepines absorption and implication in committing violence (urine test, chronology, amnesia); secondly, the association of unusual behaviour and converging circumstances (pharmacological, pharmacokinetic, psychopathology, external conditions); thirdly the consumer's knowledge of the disinhibition effect. In our prison practice, we have to be particularly cautious as population frequently associates personality disorder, drug addiction and high level of frustration related to penitential context. Special information should be given to inmates when benzodiazepines are prescribed, but more extensively, a preventive strategy should be adopted in general population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug-related_crime#Benzodiazepines_and_crime

Benzodiazepines and crime

Drug abuse and addiction to benzodiazepines is associated with drug related crime. In the U.S. several jurisdictions have reported that benzodiazepine abuse by criminal detainees has surpassed that of opiates.[3] Patients reporting to two emergency rooms in Canada with violence-related injuries were most often found to be intoxicated with alcohol and were significantly more likely to test positive for benzodiazepines (most commonly temazepam) than other groups of individuals, whereas other drugs were found to be insignificant in relation to violent injuries.[4]

Research carried out on drug related crime found that benzodiazepine misuse is associated with various crimes which are in part related to the feelings of invincibility and disinhibitory effects of benzodiazepines which can become particularly pronounced with abuse of benzodiazepines. Problematic crimes associated with benzodiazepines include shoplifting, property crime, drug dealing,violence and aggression and driving whilst intoxicated.[5] In Scotland among the 71% of suspected criminals testing positive for controlled drugs at the time of their arrest benzodiazepines are detected more frequently than opiates and are second only to cannabis which is the most frequently detected drug.[6]

Research carried out by the Australian government found that benzodiazepine users are more likely to be violent, more likely to have been in contact with the police and to have been charged with criminal behavior than those using opiates. Illicit benzodiazepines mostly originate from medical practitioners but leak onto the illicit scene due to diversion and doctor shopping. Although only a very small number originate from thefts, forged prescriptions, armed robberies or ram raids it is most often benzodiazepines, rather than opiates which are targeted in part because benzodiazepines aren't usually locked in vaults and or don't have as strict laws governing prescription and storage of many benzodiazepines.[7]

Benzodiazepines have been used as a tool of murder by serial killers, murderers, and as a murder weapon by those with the condition Munchausen syndrome by proxy.[8][9][10] Benzodiazepines have also been used to facilitate rape or robbery crimes, and benzodiazepine dependence has been linked to shoplifting due to the fugue state induced by the chronic use of the drug.[11][12] When benzodiazepines are used for criminal purposes against a victim they are often mixed with food or drink.[13]
Flunitrazepam, temazepam, and midazolam are the most common benzodiazepines used to facilitate date rape.[14] Alprazolam has been abused for the purpose of carrying out acts of incest and for the corruption of adolescent girls.[15] However, alcohol remains the most common drug involved in cases of drug rape.[16] Although benzodiazepines and ethanol are the most frequent drugs used insexual assaults, GHB is another potential date rape drug which has received increased media focus.[17]

Some benzodiazepines are more associated with crime than others especially when abused or taken in combination with alcohol. The potent benzodiazepine flunitrazepam (Rohypnol), which has strong amnesia producing effects can cause abusers to become ruthless and also cause feelings of being invincible. This has led to some acts of extreme violence to others, often leaving abusers with no recollection of what they have done in their drug-induced state. It has been proposed that criminal and violent acts brought on by benzodiazepine abuse may be related to lowered serotonin levels via enhanced GABAergic effects.[18]

Flunitrazepam has been implicated as the cause of one serial killers violent rampage, triggering off extreme aggression with anterograde amnesia.[19] A study on forensic psychiatric patients who had abused flunitrazepam at the time of their crimes found that the patients displayed extreme violence, lacked the ability to think clearly and experienced a loss of empathy for their victims while under the influence of flunitrazepam and it was found that the abuse of alcohol or other drugs in combination with flunitrazepam compounded the problem. Their behaviour under the influence of flunitrazepam was in contrast to their normal psychological state.[20]

Criticisms

The concept of drug related crime has been criticized for being too blunt, especially in its failure to distinguish between three types of crime associated with drugs[21]:
 Use-Related crime: These are crimes that result from or involve individuals who ingest drugs, and who commit crimes as an result of the effect the drug has on their thought processes and behavior.[21]
 Economic-Related crime: These are crimes where an individual commits a crime in order to fund a drug habit. These include theft and prostitution.[21]
 System-Related crime: These are crimes that result from the structure of the drug system. They include production, manufacture, transportation, and sale of drugs, as well as violence related to the production or sale of drugs, such as a turf war.[21]

Drug related crime may be used as a justification for prohibition, but in the case of system-related crime, the acts are only crimes because of prohibition. In addition, some consider even user-related and economic-related aspects of crime as symptomatic of a broader problem,[clarification needed] and the Obama administration considers drug use as health problem, rather than a criminal problem

http://cancer.about.com/od/chemotherapysideeffects/p/lorazepam.htm

What is Lorazepam? :

Lorazepam is a medication is commonly used to prevent seizures, reduce anxiety, and induce muscle relaxation. It can also be prescribed to aid in alcohol withdrawal, insomnia, and other conditions.

In cancer patients, lorazepam is prescribed to prevent and treat nausea and vomiting that often follows chemotherapy.

Lorazepam is the generic form of the drug Ativan.
How is Lorazepam Given?:
Lorazepam is commonly given in a tablet form that can be swallowed or dissolve under the tongue. It can also be administered intravenously (IV) or by injection, which is especially helpful if you have trouble keeping pills down because of vomiting. It is available by prescription only.

For cancer patients, lorazepam is normally prescribed "as needed," meaning you won't have to take the medicine on a regular schedule.

For chronic nausea and vomiting, other medications may be prescribed, or taken in conjunction with lorazepam.

Please know, that I am not dissing on Ativan. If it helps people, then I am all for it. But apparently it has its down side and does not work for others. I just felt the need to clear that up, as I know someone will come gunning for my posts...lol... Just remember whats good for some, is not always good for others and there are always others.

Dave,

You mentioned Patsy taking diet supplements. I just got off the phone with the pharmacist at walmart and walgreens (thank goodness for 24 hour pharmacies) Both told me that Ativan, is known for making one gain weight and no you cannot mix diet pills and Ativan or Mania can occure. I think you will be very intrested in the following link..

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania[/ame]

You might have read it already as I dont seem to cover anything new around here...LOL... I am sure however, that a few others havent, so read away newbies...LOL...

Hubby just confirmed-----> Never ever-ever mix diet pills and benzodiazepines. Since he knows way more then a bit about mental health, I'll take his word for it. He also said if Patsy had drank alcohol while taking Ativan, she could have had an adverse reaction as well (Which is a no brainer).

Well folks, my angel flying to close to ground is coming down the driveway.... Peace out for now....

Oh and thanks again for the company.......

Hubby just confirmed-----> Never ever-ever mix diet pills and benzodiazepines. Since he knows way more then a bit about mental health, I'll take his word for it. He also said if Patsy had drank alcohol while taking Ativan, she could have had an adverse reaction as well (Which is a no brainer).

Well folks, my angel flying to close to ground is coming down the driveway.... Peace out for now....

Oh and thanks again for the company.......
Agatha....Your wings are showing again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back