Thread No. 23 - General Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did ChartOne foot the bill for the motel room or did Jason foot the bill?

The answer to that would be interesting.

Sami

Sami

Hey Sami that's a really good question!
And I bet that's one of the answers in this investigation that's very telling too! :boohoo:

Hmmmm, if I had to wager a bet on this one, I'd go with Mama's boy paying for that room that night. :loser:

Anyone else?

Sami

Interesting.

Hmmm I would venture to guess that if Chart One issued a charge card when he was hired three months earlier, that Chart One ended up with the bill.

However, if Chart One required he use his own charge cards and file an expense report, probably he footed the bill as LE confiscated his receipt during the search of his SUV. :crazy:

Disregarding the bs above - my bet - JY paid for the over night stay and never intended to file for reimbursement on the room. After all, it was on the way to his folks in Brevard - you remember his meeting was close to them right ? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Infinitely more interesting if he paid cash...but I doubt it - charge card = alibi

I can picture JY never submitting an expense report for those trip expenses due to how it ended - after the murder, he had far bigger issues to worry about than filing an expense report for a few hundred dollars. Yet, I have no idea whether he did or not, obviously. If I had been in his situation, that would have been the least of my worries. Then again, I would have been mighty busy with conversations and updates with LE regarding the status of the investigation, also. :)

I can picture JY never submitting an expense report for those trip expenses due to how it ended - after the murder, he had far bigger issues to worry about than filing an expense report for a few hundred dollars. Yet, I have no idea whether he did or not, obviously. If I had been in his situation, that would have been the least of my worries. Then again, I would have been mighty busy with conversations and updates with LE regarding the status of the investigation, also. :)

Well let's look at the flip side of the situation... he didn't have to submit the expense report immediately following his return. Heck, I sometimes take a month or so to submit reports. I mentioned before that I doubt the company had issue with his staying overnight, being the distance from home. He would certainly want to submit an expense report at some point in order to complete the alibi of being away on business (can't you see LE asking, "if you were on business, why didn't you submit an expense report?"). Regardless of whether or not LE seized the receipt from his car, I often lose receipts and simply phone the hotel for another copy or go online and print off another receipt.

Well let's look at the flip side of the situation... he didn't have to submit the expense report immediately following his return. Heck, I sometimes take a month or so to submit reports. I mentioned before that I doubt the company had issue with his staying overnight, being the distance from home. He would certainly want to submit an expense report at some point in order to complete the alibi of being away on business (can't you see LE asking, "if you were on business, why didn't you submit an expense report?"). Regardless of whether or not LE seized the receipt from his car, I often lose receipts and simply phone the hotel for another copy or go online and print off another receipt.

Oh, I totally agree that he didn't have to submit one immediately. he may have done it when reconciling all his paperwork upon his resignation or whatever separation it was with the company. My point was that IF he never filed one for the hotel bill, I can see how he could have played it off due to the situation. To me, it's not a big deal whether the company paid for the hotel room or not. Interesting, maybe, but not a big issue in the case.

There have been times in my professional life that I have done travel arrangements that were more personally convenient for me, and therefore never charged the agency.

JMO.

...I mentioned before that I doubt the company had issue with his staying overnight, being the distance from home...
My husband's company would have an issue with any of its sales reps submitting a hotel expense for a trip that was five hours from their home base. Heck, my husband is a Vice President and he drives six or more hours to meetings. He has never stopped 90 minutes up the road to rest up before continuing on. It's ridiculous to think that Jason would do something like that unless he were establishing an alibi.

Sarcasm applied as those mean LE folks took his receipt - I do know receipts are a dime a dozen and very easily obtained.

There's a thought...

Assuming his appointment was in fact 10 am on Friday, I think it would be reasonable to spend Thursday night fairly close by. Expecting an employee to leave home before 5 am to make a 10 am call would be unusual.

Having said that, it would have made more sense to make western NC and Va calls Thursday afternoon, on his way to western Va. This single short sales call (<1 hour) 5 hours away in remote western Va is total BS, imo.

Assuming his appointment was in fact 10 am on Friday, I think it would be reasonable to spend Thursday night fairly close by. Expecting an employee to leave home before 5 am to make a 10 am call would be unusual.

Having said that, it would have made more sense to make western NC and Va calls Thursday afternoon, on his way to western Va. This single short sales call (<1 hour) 5 hours away in remote western Va is total BS, imo.
It is not unreasonable for someone to leave home at 5 a.m. for a meeting, IMO. My husband himself has arisen at 3 a.m. to drive 1.5 hours away to catch a flight to the west coast.

IMO, Jason arranged for the morning meeting as part of his alibi.

It is not unreasonable for someone to leave home at 5 a.m. for a meeting, IMO. My husband himself has arisen at 3 a.m. to drive 1.5 hours away to catch a flight to the west coast.

Nanandjim,

For some reason and right from the beginning I have never believed this so called meeting was ever really "formally" arranged or a serious sales call. It's always bugged me and bugs me even more since Jy felt the need to also stop by the hospital in Brevard before he showed up at his folks house on 3 November 2006. That little fly by wasn't arranged...just seems like a "reason" to be in Brevard - okay part of the alibi:crazy:

The fact that he chose to spend Thursday night at a hotel in itself is not all that suspicious. Perhaps he is not a morning person. But I thought the hotel he stayed at was only about halfway to the meeting point. That is what stands out to me. Why bother spending the money, whether it is his own or the company's, for a net gain of 2.5 hrs? Unless you really need an alibi.

The fact that he chose to spend Thursday night at a hotel in itself is not all that suspicious. Perhaps he is not a morning person. But I thought the hotel he stayed at was only about halfway to the meeting point. That is what stands out to me. Why bother spending the money, whether it is his own or the company's, for a net gain of 2.5 hrs? Unless you really need an alibi.

Bingo ! He indeed only went half way to his meeting that night. I don't think a non morning person would relish having to get up early to drive another 3 hours any more than he would want to drive 5. JMO If it was such a serious sales call why didn't he head there Thursday afternoon ?
If it smells like an alibi and looks like an alibi, chances are it is one.

Remember, w/o a hotel somewhere, he would have a 10 hour round trip drive (8 hours if you consider Ma Pat's). Expecting an employee to leave at 5am and drive 10 hours + a meeting is simply not reasonable...just say'n.

I agree with RC, this 'trip' was all about alibi.

My husband's company would have an issue with any of its sales reps submitting a hotel expense for a trip that was five hours from their home base. Heck, my husband is a Vice President and he drives six or more hours to meetings. He has never stopped 90 minutes up the road to rest up before continuing on. It's ridiculous to think that Jason would do something like that unless he were establishing an alibi.

I guess it all depends on the individual company. No employer of mine has ever had a strict travel/expense budget. Granted, everything is within reason, but not all companies operate alike. I think we can agree on that.

For example, I live in a suburb of Raleigh. My employer recently held a conference in downtown Raleigh for a week and offered to let me stay at the hotel with all the other out-of-towners rather than drive back and forth every day. Of course I declined the offer, but it simply goes to show that not all companies are alike - especially ones of differing fields. Healthcare/healthcare vendors, as we all know, spend money quite liberally.

NanandJim - I admire your husband's zeal for expense containment, but in reality, it's quite uncommon.

He didn't lose any receipts. The hotel stay and the two gas receipts--one in Raleigh and one in Duffield--were all "found" in his car when they seized it. IMO, that was no accident. I think what people are trying to ask you, NCBanker, is why a company would pay for a (ostensibly, since it didn't turn out that way) 10 hour trip plus an overnight stay for a possible contract with a small hospital regardless of whether the hospital had the funding to purchase what JY sells, when there was probably someone closer to that hospital than JY was? Wasn't another one of JY's co-workers (possible sales manager?) at this so called meeting? If so, why wouldn't they just handle the call? I'm sure they (ChartOne) had more than this hospital in their territory, so if this call were a part of a training exercise for JY, couldn't they have picked a spot closer? If the total trip was 600 miles for instance, and he got 20 MPH/gallon, that's thirty gallons. I don't recall what gas prices were then but even if they were only 2 to 2.50 gallon/ that's 60 to 75 dollars for gas alone and what, one hundred for the hotel? Even if this hospital bought in, it wouldn't be a lucrative contract in any event would it? We'll never know know whether JY would have submitted those bills to ChartOne since he was fired soon thereafter and, in any event given the media scrutiny at the time, I doubt JY would have dared submit it. Not enough money given the risk he would have been taking, especially since his plan was to net that 1 million.

Also, does anyone know if he HAS made an attempt on claiming that life insurance? If not, that spells "guilty as hell" all the way around just in and of itself. Finally, question to the local residents of Brevard and environs who watched the local news coverage. I was only able to access one of the news videos aired at that time (I have only today started reading back up on this). In it, the reporter mentioned that the search warrants were sealed (yes, I know, this is by now common knowledge) but he also stated that they were sealed IN ADDITION (not yelling) to the NTO that JY submitted to in November, 2006. I did not recall at the time that the NTO had been sealed. It's very interesting--maybe more so than the recent searches--if that NTO were sealed. Anyone know? TIA

Again, this isn't conjecture or speculation. The man specifically said he didn't want "another Lacrosse case." He specifically alluded to wanting to avoid any potential litigation on the part of the defendant. Not my words.

I think this is crap. There would be absolutely no basis for a lawsuit. Nifong's case and this one couldn't be more dissimiliar. I think it's great that you're posting NCBanker, especially if you do have some inside information but you coming down so heavy handledly on posters who question this, and by extension I guess, you, is not cool.

<snip for space>

Also, does anyone know if he HAS made an attempt on claiming that life insurance? If not, that spells "guilty as hell" all the way around just in and of itself. Finally, question to the local residents of Brevard and environs who watched the local news coverage. I was only able to access one of the news videos aired at that time (I have only today started reading back up on this). In it, the reporter mentioned that the search warrants were sealed (yes, I know, this is by now common knowledge) but he also stated that they were sealed IN ADDITION (not yelling) to the NTO that JY submitted to in November, 2006. I did not recall at the time that the NTO had been sealed. It's very interesting--maybe more so than the recent searches--if that NTO were sealed. Anyone know? TIA

Liveoutloud,

I believe the only portion of the NTO actually sealed is the results of the findings. The NTO document itself with the probable cause section and requirements can be viewed at the WRAL website in the archives of Michelle's case - just go to WRAL and in the search enter Michelle Young. The document was made public very shortly after it was issued. The results and findings of that however have never been made public.

I think this is crap. There would be absolutely no basis for a lawsuit. Nifong's case and this one couldn't be more dissimiliar. I think it's great that you're posting NCBanker, especially if you do have some inside information but you coming down so heavy handledly on posters who question this, and by extension I guess, you, is not cool.

I appreciate your comments, and I apologize if I appear to be heavy handed - not my intention. No one has ever compared the character or actions of our local DA to that of Nifong. The point that I have so desperately been attempting to make is that a precedent was set in the exonerated blue bloods from Duke suing the DA. Granted, they had plenty of reasons, but there has also been plenty of past and current litigation arising from little more than wrongful prosecution. Given the current circumstances, i.e. people associated with this case threatening to sue coupled with the ongoing Lacrosse mess, the DA made certain statements, which I chose to share. What's not cool is sharing a specific statement someone made and then having someone else question and dispute what was said or intended in the statement. There's really no interpretation of it other than what was specifically said.

Now if I express an OPINION on something, PLEASE, feel free to disagree/agree/ignore. However, no one likes to make a factual statement and have it challenged. Sorry if I don't just roll over and take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7