TN - 12 yr old Smothers her 8 yr old Cousin, Demeria, to Death in Humbolt July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

tlcya

mother daughter sister wife friend paralegal
Reaction score
HUMBOLDT, Tenn. (WMC) - An 8-year-old girl was murdered by her older cousin on Monday in Humboldt, Tennessee, according to Frederick Agee, District Attorney General for Tennessee Judicial District 28.
[snip]
“The video shows the 12-year-old with her full body weight taking bedding, it appears the 8-year-old is asleep, and she takes the bedding and covers the 8-year-old’s face,” Agee said, adding that the video also shows the younger girl struggling to survive the attack.
[snip]
DA Agee said the 12-year-old, who turns 13 soon, will appear in court in Trenton on Friday afternoon. He intends to ask the judge to transfer her to adult court.

“I consider this to be one of the most disturbing violent acts committed by either an adult or juvenile that my office has prosecuted,” DA Agee wrote in a release. “Due to the horrendous nature of this crime and under Tennessee law, the Juvenile Court loses jurisdiction after a juvenile turns 19, and therefore, the juvenile would be free from any further detention, supervision, or court-ordered mental health treatment.”

“Our Office is petitioning Juvenile Judge Mark Johnson to transfer the delinquent child to Circuit Court to be tried as an adult, which allows for a lengthier sentence, whether that will be through incarceration or supervision with court-ordered conditions.”
12-year-old TN girl charged with murder, accused of suffocating sleeping 8-year-old cousin
669a6dec9f23a.image.png

Home security video obtained by Humboldt Police Department investigators reportedly shows a 12-year-old girl using bedding to suffocate her sleeping eight-year-old cousin on the top of the bunk bed they shared.

After the suffocation, the preteen allegedly “cleaned up” her cousin and repositioned her body.
Tennessee preteen charged with first-degree murder after suffocating sleeping 8-year-old cousin to death, DA says

The 8-year-old girl’s name is Demeria. She was visiting from Nashville. Her 12-year-old cousin was visiting from South Carolina. Their grandmother said the two were inseparable.
[snip]
The memorial for the girl in front of her grandmother’s home features balloons in Demeria’s favorite colors: pink, purple and pale blue. Her cherished stuffed animals are on display, and bottles of the nail polish she loved to wear sit next to notes written by loved ones.

Her family and the police said they are struggling to figure out the motive.
Older cousin accused of suffocating sleeping 8-year-old cousin to death, DA says

I realized after posting I got Demeria's name wrong in the title. I've requested a correction.

Reportedly they were close cousins so I can't imagine what prompted this. They weren't fighting, Demeria was asleep when this happened. This poor family. Poor grandma!

How terrible for these families! I thought maybe a physical fight got out of control, but this was totally premeditated. Wow. :(

On July 17, Agee's office received home security footage of a 12-year-old girl using bedding to smother her 8-year-old cousin in the top bunk of the bunk beds they were sharing. The District Attorney's office said that, after the suffocation, the 12-year-old cleaned up her cousin's body and repositioned it.

The child will be charged with first-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

"I consider this to be one of the most disturbing violent acts committed by either an adult or juvenile that my office has prosecuted," the District Attorney said in a post to his official Facebook page. "Due to the horrendous nature of this crime and under Tennessee Law the Juvenile Court loses jurisdiction after a juvenile turns 19... our Office is petitioning Juvenile Judge Mark Johnson to transfer the delinquent child to Circuit Court to be tried as an adult."

The victim’s mother, Rayana Smith, identified her as Demeria Hollingsworth. She remembered Demeria was always smiling, doing well in school, and hugging her little sister.

“She liked to read books, go swimming, play outside, ride her bike every day, play with the kids in the neighborhood, play with my friends kids. My baby was sweet,” Smith said.

Smith said the girls were staying with their grandmother in Humboldt for the summer. She says the issue stemmed over an argument over an iPhone.

a summer at grandma's for these girls turned into a nightmare this family may never recover from. A petty argument earlier in the day over an I-phone apparently led the 12 year old to smother her cousin in her sleep. Poor baby, I can't imagine her panic to awaken unable to breath and struggle to get free. All the while being aware that you are about to die. The fear and panic of those last moments. :(

Just so sad and tragic. Two branches of the family's lives changed forever.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollyKM
Back