Identified! TN - Cheatham Co, WhtFem 14-20, 566UFTN, poss hitchhiker, cross bite, poor dental care, Oct'81 - Linda Sue Karnes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello! No, but if you or another person want to send it, I would appreciate it.

I can help you later today if this has not been submitted yet by someone else. I'm heading out now, just logged in to check something here in another discussion. I understand if you;re not in the US and cannot use Namus and/or Doe, etc. Not a problem.

Could someone please post the current Cheatham County Jane Doe exclusion list from NamUs?
You can always tag me if you like. I am always around and will see your notification and would be happy to screenshot the exclusions. I am always referring back to the rule outs and find it helpful to have them posted and handy as well.

You can always tag me if you like. I am always around and will see your notification and would be happy to screenshot the exclusions. I am always referring back to the rule outs and find it helpful to have them posted and handy as well.
Thank you! I really don't want to bother you every time I mention you (I don't know if you understand me), I really appreciate your help! From Chile I thank you.

''The TBI identified 14 cases total that were eligible for the initiative that started in 2022. The Tennessee General Assembly approved a one-time funding of $100,000 to fund the initiative, which the TBI said is specifically being used to identify skeletal remains of victims in cold cases through forensic genetic genealogy testing. Remains from 10 of those individuals have been submitted to Othram Inc., a private lab based in Woodlands, Texas to conduct DNA extraction and sequencing.''

Cheatham County – 1981​

1582_81410.jpg
A facial reconstruction bust of the woman found in Cheatham County on October 21, 1981. (NamUs)
The TBI said a teenage girl was found in Cheatham County on October 21, 1981. According to the TBI’s release, the female was estimated to be between the ages of 14 and 17.

NamUs said the white female was found on the same day and in the same area, however, the age estimate says she could have been 15 to 20 years old. According to NamUs, the woman who was believed to be a hitchhiker had been dead for approximately three months when she was found in a county dump. The profile does not list any clothing or accessories, but it does say that she had brown hair.''

1692229525219.png
View attachment 441356
"In October 1981, skeletal remains were discovered at what was then the county’s old landfill, on Highway 249 in Ashland City. TBI agents began working alongside the Cheatham County Sheriff’s Office in investigating the death. Forensic anthropologists at the University of Tennessee determined that the skeletal remains were those of a young, white female, originally estimated to be between 14 and 17 years old.

According to the UT Anthropology Department, the girl was estimated to have been deceased for three to nine months prior to the discovery of her remains. After exhausting all leads, investigators could not determine the victim’s identity, and she was classified as a Jane Doe. It would be many years later before DNA technology would catch up and aid in providing information in this case. In 2007, the UT Forensic Anthropology Center submitted a sample of the woman's remains to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification (UNTCHI). A DNA profile was developed and entered in the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) and the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System as UP1582, in hopes that the girl would eventually be identified.

''In December of 2023, as part of the Unidentified Human Remains DNA Initiative, TBI agents submitted a sample of the girl's skeletal remains to Othram Inc., a private lab based in Texas, for forensic genetic genealogical DNA testing. Othram scientists developed a suitable DNA extract and the used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown girl. The profile was used by Othram’s in-house forensic genetic genealogy team to develop investigative leads that were returned to law enforcement investigators.

The investigative leads provided information about possible relatives connected to the girl. A TBI intelligence analyst used that information to locate potential family members in Middle Tennessee and Florida. Agents made contact with several of those family members and confirmed they had a family member they had not heard from in more than four decades. Agents were able to obtain a DNA standard from family members to be compared against the victim's DNA. This month, the team positively identified the woman as Linda Sue Karnes, born August 10, 1965. Linda was originally from Cleveland, Ohio, but grew up in Cunningham, Tennessee. Prior to her death, she spent time in the Montgomery County Girls Home in Clarksville.

TBI special agents are hoping the public can help provide information that may help solve the murder of Linda Sue Karnes. If you have information about this homicide, specifically any knowledge about individuals Linda may have been with before her death, please call 1-800-TBI-FIND.You can learn more about the TBI’s Unidentified Human Remains Initiative here:Unidentified Human Remains Initiative.''

Last edited:
Looking on ancestry, Linda’s dad was from Tennessee, while her mom was from Pennsylvania. They married in 1963. Their marriage notice lists his dad as being the son of someone who has the same last name as Elsie’s son, and being from Shiloh, so I’m fairly certain this is the right person. At the time, her dad was stationed at Fort Riley in Kansas, although Linda was born in Ohio. I notice that Linda’s name is often paired with another male name, which is a variation on her dad’s name—possibly a brother?

In 1967, a picnic in honor of Elsie (woman listed as great-grandmother in above article) and some others’ birthdays was attended by a Linda Karnes.

In 1967, out of state family (Detroit) visited Elsie and other relatives, with Elsie, Linda, and another presumed relative returning the visit.

In 1968, a Linda Karnes traveled with Elsie to visit what was presumably another relative (Julian Karnes) in a hospital in Nashville.

Also in 1968, Linda and Elsie visited a man listed in one of the above articles who was convalescing.

In 1970, Elsie and Linda were dinner guests, listed as living in Shiloh.

In 1971, Linda Karnes of Shiloh had chicken pox.

In 1971, Elsie and Linda traveled to visit a woman listed in the first article.

In 1973, Linda and Elsie attended church services at Cumberland Heights Baptist Church.

In 1975, Linda was on the mend after being on the sick list for several days, still in Shiloh.

In 1977, Linda participated in the 4-H pullet show.

In 1978, Linda is on the hospital list.

This is the last mention of Linda I can find.

In August 1978, Elsie is on the hospital list. She’s there again in May 1979, with another newspaper specifying Trinity Hospital. This, coinciding with the last mentions of Linda, makes me think that Elsie was no longer in a position to take care of Linda.

In 1980, Elsie is listed in a relative’s obituary as now residing in Cumberland Furnace.

In April 1980, two women are listed as visiting Elsie in Palmyra Nursing Home. There’s a similar listing in March, August, and December 1981. This is listed as happenings for Cunningham.

In May 1981, Elsie sold land to a previously listed presumed relative. Linda would have died somewhere around November of 1980 to May of 1981.

In June 1981, Elsie’s brother passed away. In the survivor list, Elsie is listed as residing in Palmyra Nursing Home.

In May 1985, Elsie passed away at age 87. She was survived by 22 grandchildren, 30 great grandchildren, and 20 great-great grandchildren.

Looking on ancestry, Linda’s dad was from Tennessee, while her mom was from Pennsylvania. They married in 1963. Their marriage notice lists his dad as being the son of someone who has the same last name as Elsie’s son, and being from Shiloh, so I’m fairly certain this is the right person. At the time, her dad was stationed at Fort Riley in Kansas, although Linda was born in Ohio. I notice that Linda’s name is often paired with another male name, which is a variation on her dad’s name—possibly a brother?

In 1967, a picnic in honor of Elsie (woman listed as great-grandmother in above article) and some others’ birthdays was attended by a Linda Karnes.

In 1967, out of state family (Detroit) visited Elsie and other relatives, with Elsie, Linda, and another presumed relative returning the visit.

In 1968, a Linda Karnes traveled with Elsie to visit what was presumably another relative (Julian Karnes) in a hospital in Nashville.

Also in 1968, Linda and Elsie visited a man listed in one of the above articles who was convalescing.

In 1970, Elsie and Linda were dinner guests, listed as living in Shiloh.

In 1971, Linda Karnes of Shiloh had chicken pox.

In 1971, Elsie and Linda traveled to visit a woman listed in the first article.

In 1973, Linda and Elsie attended church services at Cumberland Heights Baptist Church.

In 1975, Linda was on the mend after being on the sick list for several days, still in Shiloh.

In 1977, Linda participated in the 4-H pullet show.

In 1978, Linda is on the hospital list.

This is the last mention of Linda I can find.

In August 1978, Elsie is on the hospital list. She’s there again in May 1979, with another newspaper specifying Trinity Hospital. This, coinciding with the last mentions of Linda, makes me think that Elsie was no longer in a position to take care of Linda.

In 1980, Elsie is listed in a relative’s obituary as now residing in Cumberland Furnace.

In April 1980, two women are listed as visiting Elsie in Palmyra Nursing Home. There’s a similar listing in March, August, and December 1981. This is listed as happenings for Cunningham.

In May 1981, Elsie sold land to a previously listed presumed relative. Linda would have died somewhere around November of 1980 to May of 1981.

In June 1981, Elsie’s brother passed away. In the survivor list, Elsie is listed as residing in Palmyra Nursing Home.

In May 1985, Elsie passed away at age 87. She was survived by 22 grandchildren, 30 great grandchildren, and 20 great-great grandchildren.
Wow Linda had a huge family

I also found a series of contemporary articles on the Montgomery County Girls Home, where Linda spent time. Several articles have photos of the girls—I didn’t spot Linda, but the quality isn’t great, and we only have one comparison photo.

This article states that troubled girls find their way to the home through the Dept of Human Resources, for such reasons as truancy, drinking.

(I didn’t clip the second part of this article, as it focuses on a specific girl’s story)

This article states that 8-12 girls live in dorm-like conditions at the home, with 90% returning to their families and 10% entering foster care.

In September 1981, the Home was facing challenges and threats of closing, with the eight girls being dispersed. Of the eight residents, five were status offenders (truancy, runaways, etc.), with the other three experiencing “family problems” (sexual abuse, alcoholic parents, or abandonment). I would guess that Linda would probably fall into the first category, unless Elsie entering a nursing home would be considered “abandonment.”

While looking for articles on the Girls Home, I found this police blotter report from April 1981. Someone has reported four 15 year old runaways from the home, on April 4, 1981, who left in a red Buick. Linda would have been 15 then (turning 15 in August). Could she have been one of these girls?

Some further digging suggests that the child paired with her in the earlier articles was a slightly (1964) younger brother. He unfortunately passed away in 2001 in the Tampa area. Linda is not mentioned as surviving or predeceasing him in his obituary, but neither are their parents or various other relatives.

I’m no longer able to edit it, but several of my links are fluky above—the copy function on Newspapers was acting up. I’ll try to fix later on a proper computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD1908
Back