GUILTY TN - Couple arrested selling baby boy on Craigslist, Greeneville, 24 March 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reading in The Greeneville Sun today, I see under small, local section called Court Reports that the state has declined to prosecute Greer and Cain for aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect or endangerment. I am confused now. I guess the state is on its own, but what are the charges?

Sadly, the "Advertised" child probably can't be adopted until the trial is over....

Here is an article from the Daily News from April 10,2017. The grand jury has not met yet. New info about sting.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-conspired-sell-child-allegedly-article-1.3039484

"Greer allegedly told an undercover agent that she had exchanged a child for money before, according to ABC7.

Agent Chris Wilhoit said in court that Greer told him, “She had an 11-year-old daughter who was doing well, that she had given up in the past in this way.”"

Got a Google Alert:

Greene Co. couple accused of trying to sell baby on Craigslist indicted by grand jury

http://wjhl.com/2017/11/30/greene-c...ll-baby-on-craigslist-indicted-by-grand-jury/

According to a Greene County court clerk, John Caine and Deanna Greer were indicted on charges of criminal attempted aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect and illegal payments in connection with placement of a child.

Caine and Greer did not appear in court and are still being held in the Greene County Jail.
Caine is being held on $175,000 bond and Greer is being held on $150,000 bond.
Both have a pre-date trial date set for March 29 and a trial date set for May 21.

A May 21, 2018 trial date was set.

Both were indicted by a Greene County Grand Jury on Nov. 21 on one charge each of attempted aggravated child neglect and attempted aggravated child endangerment and two counts each of illegal payments in connection with placement of a child.

Greer and Cain were served with the grand jury presentments on Nov. 21. Both are held on bond of $175,000 in the Greene County Detention Center.

Greer and Cain waived arraignment in Criminal Court.

A pre-trial conference is set for March 29 and announcements in connection with the case on May 2.

https://www.greenevillesun.com/news...cle_14263760-8a8a-5119-98fa-468fe6c4c27d.html

Thursday, March 29th:
*Pretrial Hearing - TN - Child (no age given) - John Caine (26) & Deanna Greer (37) indicted (on 11/30/17) on charges of criminal attempt to commit aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect & illegal payments in connection w/placement of a child. tried selling child on Craigslist. Cain held on $175K bond & Greer on $150K. Hearing on May 2 and trial set for May 21st.

As a TN resident this makes me angry and sad... What is happening in our state? Why do people think this is OK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I know I'm a year late responding to your post but I just wanted to say that I've found that Tennesseans in general are some of the nicest and most caring people that I've ever met. We used to own a large piece of property near Elizabethton and our experience with locals were mostly positive. We ended up selling the property after moving to the Pacific Northwest but I sure miss it sometimes.

Tennesse enacted a law a couple of years ago allowing "good Samaritans" to legally break a car window if they see a child alone inside. I wish every state would do the same.

IMO the problem goes beyond state borders in that people bring babies into the world for the most stupid reasons and our society seems to think they have some sort of God-given right to breed without being held responsible for the babies they birth. It's sad to think that in this day and age children remain "private property" of their parents no matter how badly they're treated.

Anyway, rant over - I just wanted to say that this is a society problem, not a Tennessee problem.

Boy - I've slacked off on this thread and missed their hearings for April 7th.... :gaah: I'm guessing I'm following too many cases here!!!

Thank you all for the updates and articles.

I tried looking up their court dockets, but it's another one of those court sites I can't get into from here....

Boy - I've slacked off on this thread and missed their hearings for April 7th.... :gaah: I'm guessing I'm following too many cases here!!!

Thank you all for the updates and articles.

I tried looking up their court dockets, but it's another one of those court sites I can't get into from here....
I'm local let me look into it in the morning and I'll post what I find. Thank you for the updates. I read old threads alot and I appreciate your updates at the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thank you SouthernCutie!

If you come back to read here - do they still have a hearing on May 2nd? And trial to start May 21st?

TIA! :wave:

Wednesday, May 2nd:
*Pretrial Hearing - TN - Child (5 mo. old baby boy) - John David Cain (26) & Deanna Lynn Greer (37) indicted (on 11/30/17) on charges of criminal attempt to commit aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect & illegal payments in connection w/placement of a child. Tried selling child on Craigslist for $3K. Both held on $175K bond. Trial set to begin May 21st
New Hanover County (No. Carolina) authorities indicated they will extradite Cain once his Tennessee case is resolved.

Trial Date Set For Couple Accused Of Trying To Sell Infant
https://www.greenevillesun.com/news...cle_af6370d1-d1c9-5845-ab35-650fa0527c3a.html

A new trial date has been set for a Greene County couple .....
Criminal Court Judge John F. Dugger Jr. Wednesday assigned the case to Circuit Court Judge Alex Pearson and set a trial date of Aug. 20.
The Public Defender’s office, which originally represented Greer, had a conflict of interest and withdrew from the case. Dugger assigned Greeneville lawyer Joseph McAfee to the case, which was scheduled to go to trial this month before Dugger in Greene County Criminal Court.

Assistant District Attorney General John “Chal” Thompson told Dugger that a key prosecution witness would not be available during the scheduled trial date, prompting the judge to reassign the case to Pearson for trial in August.

SouthernCutie - if you can get in the court site there should be pretrial hearings scheduled before this August 20th trial date. If you can find those - it would be very MUCH appreciated!!!

TIA! :tyou:

Nothing happens around Greeneville, legally speaking, in the summer. The court records are not available online. I will be very surprised if the trial starts August 20, 2018. The baby and toddler killed by Mom's boyfriend 3 1/2 years ago still hasn't gone to trial.

@Niner here you go. . . .
"A man and woman who allegedly attempted to sell their baby to an undercover law enforcement officer last year were sentenced Wednesday to serve 2-1/2 years of a 10-year prison term day-for-day, with the remainder on probation. Each entered guilty pleas to one count of illegal payments in connection with placement of a child and a felony count of child neglect, reduced from the more serious charge of attempted aggravated child neglect, as part of the plea agreement worked out between the state and lawyers representing Cain and Greer."

I'm curious about the other kid that was exchanged for money. I hope some checking that story out is done!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back