TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please dont copy/paste from facebook onto Websleuths-Facebook is unsubstantiated rumor unless it links to MSM.

The other challenge we are facing here is regarding sleuthers being outed with their true identities. It is a huge no no on this site. Anonymity is respected here.

Inactive status covers several things, including a request to be done with posting, and perhaps to have posts removed. Just as an example. Banned is Banned.

I've asked about mentioning Gail at Riverbend, but haven't received a response.

I live on Signal Mtn and my problem with the police is that they still consider it a missing person case and says there is no evidence of a crime. That statement along with silence makes me concerned. They don't have to share details, but at least call it "concerning" or "suspicious". When they say they are investigating all leads, it makes me think they're sitting there waiting for it to be handed to them.

I would be doing the same thing as Arlene. It's taken a long time to get the word out there and the head of the Times Free Press lives next door to the Palmgrens. However, this is my first "case" and it seems that you sleuthers have a lot of experience.

Respectfully bolded by me-The case is with the Criminal Investigations unit of the HCSO, if I recall correctly. Perhaps there has been a change in status that wasnt necessarily released to the media.

Please dont copy/paste from facebook onto Websleuths-Facebook is unsubstantiated rumor unless it links to MSM.

The other challenge we are facing here is regarding sleuthers being outed with their true identities. It is a huge no no on this site. Anonymity is respected here.

Inactive status covers several things, including a request to be done with posting, and perhaps to have posts removed. Just as an example. Banned is Banned.

Point well-taken.

I think it is interesting to note, for the benefit of the fb lurkers, that the rules here are just that strict, that even posts speculating as to why WS might be getting such a bad rap on fb, have been removed.

Many folks here on WS have spent hours and hours thinking, reading, and posting, in an effort to be helpful. Besides the posts on the general threads, the timeline and media threads that have been compiled are evidence of a HUGE amount of time and work and CARING!

The fb folks likewise have invested much in the case, and emotions run high on both sites.

Wouldn't it be a WONDERFUL thing if the minds working on both sites could work TOGETHER, at least in spirit?

The bashing stings. It certainly doesn't make me want to think longer or keep reading and posting. I wonder how the detectives working hard in LE are feeling in that regard. Just how motivational is the bashing, anyway?

As far as the riverbend thing (IMO not going to happen) they have High PR and it is to be "happy" the pr team even keeps a tight lip about crime surrounding it. Don't get me wrong they have alot of police presence there. Alot goes on down there and surrounding it and because of the tight lip many are not aware of things. Also the head of the organization is from Signal Mountain and he would definitely not let there be so sort of venue of sorts and I am sure they would came legal issues or then they would have to allow others access to the festival and keep in mind the festival is backed by alot of corporate sponors (BCBS) you get my drift. BUT, alot of people really enjoy the festival including my family.
WOW...a woman has gone missing from their own community (for 41 days now) and they think that corporate sponsors would back out if ppl handed outflyers or wore tee shirts saying have you seen this woman or her Jeep??? Wow...that just floors me...what is this world coming to ? That says it all right there ... to me anyways (JMHO) ... Wow ... I thought the deep south was made up of God fearing Christian communities ... What happened to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" ?... I guess if it (wearing t-shirts and passing out flyers of missing ppl) then it interferes with your "good time" and/ or finances ... Then I guess caring is not such a good thing not a PRIORITY for them ... OMG ...shoot me now!!!:banghead:

[/B]

BBM
Are you still speaking of Gail's MIL in this statement? I got confused.

Yes...confused said that she was devastated.
And to be honest and more clear, the comments she made (that I know of) were not nasty or vindictive...just out of character for the relationship she apparently had with Gail...but she is also a loving Mom and Grandma caught up in what must be her worst nightmare, so who knows how any of us would react and what we'd say in the middle of a situation like this.

Respectfully bolded by me-The case is with the Criminal Investigations unit of the HCSO, if I recall correctly. Perhaps there has been a change in status that wasnt necessarily released to the media.

It was in an article covering the PC that criminal investigators were added to the case.....so a missing person investigation and criminal investigation also. IMO

Criminal investigators with the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department have joined Signal Mountain Police in the search for a woman who has been missing since April 30, HCSD spokeswoman Janice Atkinson said Tuesday during a press conference.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_201456.asp

I have a lot of empathy for AD. I have never had a best friend close to me disappear, they can be as close as family or sometimes more so. If I thought someone I deeply cared about had been murdered (which we don't know) and people were trying to sweep it under the rug (could be an impression even if it isn't so), how would I react? it is easier for us to sit back and try to think logically because it would make us very sad but it might not change our whole lives forever if GP is not found. Look how many missing people on this site have never been found, and most of them had active police investigations going at one time, but it didn't stop them from being all but forgotten eventually as far as LE is concerned. I think AD could have been a valuable resource on this site and she is probably hurting more than any of us. It just makes me sad.

I think AD could have been a valuable resource on this site and she is probably hurting more than any of us. It just makes me sad.

Is it public WS knowledge who is verified as a reliable source, not their identity, but that they have been verified? Just curious!

Gosh, I thought we were working with the BGHN group? I had no clue they felt that way about us.

Well, let's leave it over there, I am sure they have their reasons to be put off with us but we cannot distract ourselves from figuring out what happened to Gail.

I do know that our rules are in place to give integrity to our cause and it does take some getting used to. But I will also say when LE asks us to do something we do it and we comply with all subpoenas.

I think they are a terrific group over there and i hope we can all work together at some point.

So, when other sites start to sling mud like I just read, let's steer clear and stay out of their way as best we can.

Is it public WS knowledge who is verified as a reliable source, not their identity, but that they have been verified? Just curious!
Yes it is in the Verified Poster sticky thread at the top of the missing forum. There are some more to add but I have not been able to get to it yet.

Gosh, I thought we were working with the BGHN group? I had no clue they felt that way about us.

Well, let's leave it over there, I am sure they have their reasons to be put off with us but we cannot distract ourselves from figuring out what happened to Gail.

I do know that our rules are in place to give integrity to our cause and it does take some getting used to. But I will also say when LE asks us to do something we do it and we comply with all subpoenas.

I think they are a terrific group over there and i hope we can all work together at some point.

So, when other sites start to sling mud like I just read, let's steer clear and stay out of their way as best we can.

it is too bad!!! because I know everyone here cares. but it is not surprising now, how can it be? if we tell someone they're not welcome, when they are one of her best friends, how could they not take it personally when emotions are already raw?

Can I ask why Facebook comments are a no-no while comments made on newspaper forums were okay? Or were they not okay and I didn't realize? I'm new to this and don't know much about Facebook, so I am not grasping the distinction.

I hope it's okay to ask this.

Can I ask why Facebook comments are a no-no while comments made on newspaper forums were okay? Or were they not okay and I didn't realize? I'm new to this and don't know much about Facebook, so I am not grasping the distinction.

I thought we just had to be clear in our posting that it was a rumor, so I don't know. In other cases it seemed like we were allowed to paraphrase FB postings.

it is too bad!!! because I know everyone here cares. but it is not surprising now, how can it be? if we tell someone they're not welcome, when they are one of her best friends, how could they not take it personally when emotions are already raw?
well if that was what happened I would totally agree with you.

let's drop it now because we are not going to talk about other members or drag down another site. So, let's move on please.

snipped...

We are not the problem, in my opinion. The police are not the problem. Gail's family is not the problem. The problem lies with whomever was involved in Gail's disappearance, and that's the only way this is ever going to be solved.

Hysteria is never the answer to getting a case solved. :twocents:

Thank you. You're exactly right. Emotions are running high and suddenly everyone is the enemy to everyone else. I guess the news about AD being threatened early in the investigation has caused a lot of concerns amongst everyone.

I just had a chance to check in and I'm completely overwhelmed with this negativity, the confusing who we can and can't quote, hints at rumors and allegations that can't be completely spelled out. I feel like if I stay here and follow the case which I am genuinely concerned about, I'm hurting certain people who are angry we're even here in the first place.

I thought we just had to be clear in our posting that it was a rumor, so I don't know. In other cases it seemed like we were allowed to paraphrase FB postings.

There are a few issues here and I will do the best I can to review, but this is the long answer and a short answer will follow.

We can never copy and paste more than 10% of any comments from articles,FB/ any other social media, msm articles or any other written info from the web; UNLESS it expressly states that we may do so. But either which way the rule of thumb is 10% and a LINK to the source and this includes pictures. It is always up to each forum mod discretion if a particular site is allowed to be linked. They may choose to not link them for a wide variety of reasons.

With regards to rumors, at the beginning of this case, I mentioned that we do not typically allow rumors to be perpetuated, even though many turn out to be fact at some point. We allowed some speculation that included the rumors because very little information was coming out. But as in every forum, once rumors start to dominate the conversation and take over the discussion, then we back away as the information evolves.

But just to add another dimension to this situation,LE is being quite vocal about wanting this information to have remained confidential. While we cannot unring the bell, at a minimum we can comply from this point forward. WS always does what it can to accommodate LE and as I said we always comply with subpoenas.

On top of that, when another site chooses to speak poorly of our site, we understandbly frown upon linking to those sites. Sometimes we even block them if the site says a lot of hateful things about the work here. In this case I am not going to block the site because i think they are truly a wonderful group and are all feeling a lot of pain and it is coming out sideways a little bit. I encourage you all to support BGHN, but at this point it seems we should steer clear and not link to them for the time being.
Hopefully that can change as I truly believe we are all truly pulling in the same direction.

So, in a vacuum without all the other issues running around right now:

1.you can link to approved FB's (ie a the victim or the named suspect) but not any peripheral players or neighbors.
2.You cannot copy more than 10% from anywhere and you must provide a link.
3. Rumors will be handled on a case by case basis,but always at a minimum make sure it is clear that the information is only rumored and not fact.

if you ever cannot decide what to do or if you should post or not, please just imagine if people were posting info about YOU or your children because your neighbor did something wonky. Just put yourself in the position and I guarantee you will make the right choice every single time.

Thanks.

Investigators said they were waiting on an official cause of death from the medical examiner’s office.

Deputies said the victim's family has been notified.

No further information was immediately available.

Read more: http://www.koco.com/news/28064772/detail.html#ixzz1OvlhO2tD

ETA: This is getting a little confusing. The above article is dated 5/29, but this article from yesterday says she is still missing. ????

http://www.kfor.com/kfor-body-found-in-logan-county-20110608,0,4830118.story

What concerns me is the fact there had been multiple calls of domestic issues----frequently-- within the prior two weeks to GP going missing. Taking this into consideration, plus the fact that Diane had to make the initial move in reporting her missing, and that LE gave GP a safe haven telephone number does make me wonder why LE didn't ASK MP if it was ok to have a look around.

snipped...

Not only that, but apparently AD was at the police station on the 1st with paperwork, showing it to LE. She says they weren't concerned. On the 2nd MP and Diane called LE. So LE knew there had been domestic calls as recently as the 29th, that Gail was given a safe place number, then just 2 days later a friend said she was missing. The day after that, her sister and husband on the 2nd. I don't think it seems weird at all to question whether things were thoroughly looked over in the beginning, because it seems like there was a progressive line of incidents that could point to a specific scenario that needed LE investigation.

snipped...

But just to add another dimension to this situation,LE is being quite vocal about wanting this information to have remained confidential. While we cannot unring the bell, at a minimum we can comply from this point forward. WS always does what it can to accommodate LE and as I said we always comply with subpoenas.

In this instance, I'm assuming they mean the news story on Arlene's "threatening" (as the media put it) text from LE. Do we need to have all media articles vetted before we talk about them? That's an honest question. I'm asking because I'm the one who transcribed the video and posted screen captures, etc. I did so entirely because it was a media article and I thought that was fair game, so to speak.

So I'm asking about having articles approved first because what happens the next time a news station reports that someone is accusing LE of not doing their job? It very likely could happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth