TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden; believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Example of the power of the public: (from airing on KATC TV only a couple hours or less til arrest)

http://www.katc.com/news/escaped-inmate-sex-offender-last-seen-in-lafayette/
Escaped Inmate/Sex Offender Last Seen In Lafayette
Escaped Inmate/Sex Offender Last Seen In Lafayette

"an aware American Public is a very valuable resource for Law Enforcement"..

Sherman Cornette
Absconded
Ellijay GA 30536
View photos: 1

DOB: 1953-01-01
Height: 5 ft. 0 in.
Weight: 230
Race/Ethnicity: White
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Green
Identifying Marks: SC FHD

Offense: CHILD MOLESTATION
Incarcerated: N Wanted: Y

I think that although this probably isn't a random abduction, IF it random, a sexual predator just happened to be turkey hunting in the area near Holly's home and spotted Holly somehow- maybe close enough when she was walking to her car, maybe if she went out to feed/pet/play with the dog outside, whatever. If it's a random sexual predator (which I find hard to believe but not 100% impossible), I think he was hunting turkeys that morning and just happened to see a prey he liked better - Holly.
I hope LE has talked to everyone who told anyone they went turkey hunting that day.

But I lean more toward it being someone who knew Holly's intimate routines. When she left for school, where she parked her car, etc. I have felt this even stronger since info from the new search has included stuff about her daily routine like where she would generally eat lunch during school days. That seemed to me that they are almost asking people to think if they saw someone suspicious eye-balling or following Holly at Sonic or wherever she often ate lunch.

It seems to me it may have been someone she knew who was on the periphery of her social circle. A dad/brother/friend of a friend, someone whose face she knew from church, etc.

I'm sure LE has spoken with her girlfriends but if some creep was following her or showing up where she was I lay odds her close friends probably knew it. Girls share those things with each other...

I live in Acadiana (LA) and have seen how our local news media was so beneficial in helping to get the word out both via TV and social media. The Find Mickey website/blog and our media, and hundreds of volunteers did bring Mickey home. Our news media sends out blasts 24/7. I am new to WS, so please forgive a basic question. How do y'all make families aware of your services? Is there any material available to local LE on how to use the Internet to get the word out,How to engage volunteers to search, etc. when/how to contact resources such a Equisearch.

I live in Acadiana (LA) and have seen how our local news media was so beneficial in helping to get the word out both via TV and social media. The Find Mickey website/blog and our media, and hundreds of volunteers did bring Mickey home. Our news media sends out blasts 24/7. I am new to WS, so please forgive a basic question. How do y'all make families aware of your services? Is there any material available to local LE on how to use the Internet to get the word out,How to engage volunteers to search, etc. when/how to contact resources such a Equisearch.

Welcome to WS.

I don't know that there is any type of "How To" package for LE for missing persons cases, but there sure needs to be something like that. It seems that each case is handled in a different manner, and that no LE agency really knows quite how to handle these cases at all. Every state carries on in their own way, not to mention the dozens or more counties within each state. And there is always the problem of not cross-sharing info or providing similar cases, etc...due to jealousies, incompetence, staffing shortages, etc...

I don't know what the answer is; the volunteer organizations are not in a position to reach out to every LEA or family in need, probably due to funding and resources; some LEA's don't like outsiders in their affairs. Most families have no idea where to start when a family member disappears.

Lots of the basic info is available here at WS, but most families would not know that either.

Missing people is an epidemic yet a very silent one, except for the occasional media-friendly case.

I think that little by little, LEA's are being trained to deal with social media and that it will improve in the future. We can only hope.

So, I just said a whole lot of nothing...

Darcyline, this is not a direct quote by Sheriff Wyatt, on 04/13/2011, but very close, 'crimes like this do not happen in towns like Darden, TN'..
I literally almost fell out of my chair when I heard this statement..

If you were a sexual predator, where would you hunt your prey?

Compare the media management by the LPD in the Mickey Shunick investigation to the TBI's media management in the Holly Bobo investigation.
Imo the answer lies within..

LPD utilized their most valuable crime fighting tool; the American public via the MS Media, whereas the TBI squandered this critical resource from day one, and continues to do so over 16 months later..

The sad & tragic thing other than, that Holly Bobo is still missing & the abductor has not being brought to justice after over 16 months. Sexual predators are recidivist and will usually continue their deviant behavior and escalate with each successful abduction/rape/murder...

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19290159/sixteen-months-later-search-continues-for-holly-bobo

Search Continues For Holly Bobo Sixteen Months Later

I somewhat disagree with part of your statement. Local LE, TBI and FBI were on the scene immediately following Holly's abduction. The news was all over her case in the early stages. Something happened around Easter that made it all stop. As some have speculated, her cellphone appears to be one of the crucial items found. Where that led to, we don't know. Obviously, for whatever reason, LE said no more volunteer searches.

Is that a clue? Details of the alleged cellphone find can be "googled' and it may give us answers to some of our questions or it may lead to even more questions. It did for me.

Also, in Mickey's case, they had surveillance videos which from what I recall helped tremendously. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case here. All we have is the brother's account of what happened with a very generic description of the perp. Camo clothing, height, weight which resembles perhaps 80% of the males in Darden, if not more.

No perp car description, no facial features, nothing.

All we have is the brother's account of what happened with a very generic description of the perp. Camo clothing, height, weight which resembles perhaps 80% of the males in Darden, if not more.

Well, Clint did originally think it was Drew, which is pretty specific.

yeah..well...I won't even go there. Also, the perp according to Clint had a "young" voice so maybe that's another clue that may take us nowhere.

Whisp, the neighbor, at the time, was self employed.

He had an appt. with a customer to install...I think it was a kitchen sink.

That was his first appointment of the day for him.

moo as usual...

Whisp, the neighbor, at the time, was self employed.

He had an appt. with a customer to install...I think it was a kitchen sink.

That was his first appointment of the day for him.

moo as usual...

Has the neighbour ever appeared on television? We know his mom did.

I still think he thought that becuase his mind just filled in the blank with a familiar face, so to speak.

In a similar experience I had thought one of my cats was on the bed with me. He is ALWAYS there every morning to wake me up. It wasn't until some time later that I realized it was not him but it was one of the other cats who NEVER gets up on the bed at all (not in X years!). And they don't even look similar... one is 20 lbs and orange and white long hair and the other is a 8 lb, grey tabby short hair. Yet I mistook the grey for the orange one.

Now as to why he didn't just look closer at the two, say something, etc. but instead went back to call his mom to ask who was in the garage (which is odd if he thought it was Drew in the first place). But thats a different subject...

I still think he thought that becuase his mind just filled in the blank with a familiar face, so to speak.
I think from the description of the guy on the wanted poster, he weighs much more than Drew.

I think that although this probably isn't a random abduction, IF it random, a sexual predator just happened to be turkey hunting in the area near Holly's home and spotted Holly somehow- maybe close enough when she was walking to her car, maybe if she went out to feed/pet/play with the dog outside, whatever. If it's a random sexual predator (which I find hard to believe but not 100% impossible), I think he was hunting turkeys that morning and just happened to see a prey he liked better - Holly.

i agree with you that it's probably not random. in order for a random scenario to work, a kidnapper hunter would have had to just happen to walk by in the woods as she was walking out of her house and think to himself "hey i should abduct that girl" and then immediately run out of the woods and grab her. it's not like she was hanging out by her car.

it makes way more sense to me that this person was someone she at least knew a little bit. id guess the person was waiting for her, walked out of the woods and probably called her name. she was probably confused as to what the person was doing there, but didn't panic until he grabbed her or maybe even said something. she screams, he hits her, maybe threatens her or her family, and then whatever he does/says is enough to convince her to follow him to the woods. as others have stated, he likely was unaware that her brother was home and probably thought he'd have hours before anyone noticed her missing. the fact that he still didn't get caught says he was either a) really lucky or b) a guy who really planned this ahead of time.

I somewhat disagree with part of your statement. Local LE, TBI and FBI were on the scene immediately following Holly's abduction. The news was all over her case in the early stages. Something happened around Easter that made it all stop. As some have speculated, her cellphone appears to be one of the crucial items found. Where that led to, we don't know. Obviously, for whatever reason, LE said no more volunteer searches.

Is that a clue? Details of the alleged cellphone find can be "googled' and it may give us answers to some of our questions or it may lead to even more questions. It did for me.

Also, in Mickey's case, they had surveillance videos which from what I recall helped tremendously. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case here. All we have is the brother's account of what happened with a very generic description of the perp. Camo clothing, height, weight which resembles perhaps 80% of the males in Darden, if not more.

~n/t~, I honor & respect your opinion..
It was hours before the TBI, FBI, US Marshals, etc., arrived on the scene, set up their incident command and actually began operations. There were THP helicopters in the air, but if my memory is correct, they were dispatched from Nashville & would have taken 45 minutes to an hour to arrive and begin searching. There was no roadblocks established by DCSO & only a 5 mile search area concentrated on the first day. The perp could have been several states away by then..

RE: Something happened around Easter that made it all stop

The decision to end the volunteer search was initially planned for Monday 04/25/2011, but was extended due to the significant finds on Easter Sunday afternoon. Violent storms/tornado warnings, were forcasted for days beginning Monday night, and the searches never resumed later.. There were various reasons for this, imo.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/14822562/significant-item-recovered-in-holly-bobo-search-4-24-2011

It's been almost two weeks since 20-year-old Holly Bobo has been missing from her Parsons home, and while investigators had planned on calling off the volunteer-fueled ground searches soon, they found something Sunday afternoon that they said has changed their minds.
Easter Sunday started the way all Sundays do in Parsons: with prayer. But after a special sunrise service in Bobo's honor, hundreds of volunteers got straight to work.
"Seeing people give up their Easters with their families to be here was very inspirational," said volunteer Glen Adams.
Hundreds spent the day sweating on their hands and knees away from their families, in hopes of helping the Bobo's reunite theirs. And mid-way through the day, there was a breakthrough.
Investigators said they found something. They won't say what, but they will say it's significant enough to make them want to continue searching the area for at least one more day.
"It makes you feel great -- Easter Sunday and finding some good information," said Bobo family spokesperson Kevin Bromely. "Hopefully we can expand the search and find out more tomorrow."

Karen Bobo made it as far as the search headquarters parking lot, but had to turn around.
"Dana and Karen thought they could come and talk to the volunteers, to thank them and talk to them some," said Bromely. "But it's just too much, too hard."
"I'm glad she didn't because I think it would have been too emotional for the volunteers too," said Adams. "And we already know they appreciate us."

Respectfully snipped:
Actually, if we apply Occam's razor, the theory devolves down to this one:

Holly was abducted by someone she knew.

The abduction was predicated upon a specific past act.

The abduction's purpose was revenge.

I agree.
If the perp was someone who knew Holly, a likely motive could be an obsession which progressed into revenge. Because the perp abducted Holly from her home, and since her belongings she had on her person were removed from the property as well, this makes it very personal. jmo

I hope LE has talked to everyone who told anyone they went turkey hunting that day.

But I lean more toward it being someone who knew Holly's intimate routines. When she left for school, where she parked her car, etc. I have felt this even stronger since info from the new search has included stuff about her daily routine like where she would generally eat lunch during school days. That seemed to me that they are almost asking people to think if they saw someone suspicious eye-balling or following Holly at Sonic or wherever she often ate lunch.
It seems to me it may have been someone she knew who was on the periphery of her social circle. A dad/brother/friend of a friend, someone whose face she knew from church, etc.

BBM-I am way out of the loop on this. I haven't heard of anything being found at all in the latest searches, much less what it was or what it alluded to.

/I agree with you about the church BTW.

I haven't read everything about Holly's case like I did in the Mickey Shunick case. So, I want to learn more. My best guess is that someone fixated on her and planned a well crafted abduction. That almost certainly seems like a sexual predator, IMO.
Is there anything that points to something else? Like taking her because of some knowledge she had? Certainly RSO's have been checked, I wonder how far away the radius of RSO checks were done. Absconded RSO predator...if Holly was abducted by a predator she was probably not the first.
Ok. I'm gonna go back and read all I can.
Prayers for Holly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member