Identified! TN - Jellico, Big Wheel Gap Rd, WhtFem 9-15, 482UFTN, button necklace, bracelet, shoes, Apr'85 - Tracy Sue Walker

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just commented on your Facebook page. I have been trying to figure out who she was for the last 18 years or so. (since I started this hobby) Thank you so much for giving her name back and all you do for the missing and unidentified.

I wonder if something happened to her shortly after her disappearance or closer to the 1-4 year PMI. After identifications I know we all would like to see justice served for their murders. Like so many, she was just a baby. :( ETA: As always, hats off to your team @othram !!

Rest peacefully now Tracy Sue.

View attachment 362639
Lafayette is pretty far from Big Wheel Gap - I wonder how she ended up there.
Maybe she was enticed up there to get caught up in the sudden hoopla over Purdue football. Just a guess. Probably not. We don't know what time of the year she went missing. But as soon as I hear Lafayette and 1978 I associate it with adjacent West Lafayette, home of the sudden resurgence of Purdue football. It would have been big news across the state and region, with people wanting to be a part of it and attend a game.

Purdue had been mediocre to lousy for a full decade until the unexpected surge in 1978, including an early season upset of Ohio State. They became nationally ranked and played several high profile games televised by ABC. Attendance went way up. It was one of the best seasons in school history including a lopsided bowl victory.

That's all I've got. I don't try to identify Does but I do have the ability to look at a date and location and immediately associate it with situational influence of the time frame.

View attachment 362639
Lafayette is pretty far from Big Wheel Gap - I wonder how she ended up there.
It is a bit of a drive; I'm thinking that Big Wheel Gap only served as the site where she was placed after death and that she was killed closer to home. It was a great way to delay/prohibit identification of victims and solving of crimes/linkage to a speciic individual way back then. We are talking 1970s here so agencies even within a state didn't communicate well with each other, let alone a couple of states away. Picked up near home while hitchhiking (common back then) by someone travelling south east, murdered then dumped further along the killer's route? Trucker?? Red Head murder series seems to line up ... especially now that we see the map. First known in serial was 1975, then a series gap until 1981 ... Jerry Johns suspected and now-DNA proven in at least one of those cases (now deceased).

Here's an article that fleshes out some details. It was a strip mine site at the estimated time of her death. I wonder if she was abducted by someone who may have worked the strip mine. She looks like how I would envision a young Elizabeth Moss.

Here's an article that fleshes out some details. It was a strip mine site at the estimated time of her death. I wonder if she was abducted by someone who may have worked the strip mine. She looks like how I would envision a young Elizabeth Moss.

And some details about her disappearance too. Tracy was reported missing as a runaway by her family who were living in Eisenhower Court. She was last seen at Tippecanoe Mall. Lafayette newspapers from 1978-1980 don't mention anything about her though.

It may be the case that it was a miner that killed her, though it seems strange that they would have gone to such a faraway place to find her. Maybe she had traveled around after going missing and wound up somewhere closer to the mountains.

I looked at various old aerial pictures of Big Wheel Gap and it looks like the area would have been (much) more accessible from the actual strip mines than any main road, so it would have been a lot of work for someone traveling through to use it as a dump site. The only time it looked like what one would consider an true "road" was around the time she was found (late 1970's and early 1980's). I assume that to be when the area was actively being mined. Before and after then, it looks to be more of a trail that you would need a 4-wheeler to travel down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back