Found Alive TN - John Eaton, 44, Chattanooga, 5 Nov 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This seems like a bad idea. They need to find him and check that he's not having some type of mental breakdown needing help.

Agreed. He's allowed to walk away, but just seeing him on surveillance footage seems like not enough to conclude that's what happened. So sad.

Unfortunately, even if the Sheriff’s Office has a Mental Health Investigative Unit (where peace officers receive specific mental health training) they are only charged to investigate cases concerning emotionally disturbed persons through the collection of evidence and witness statements in addition to courtroom testimony. There was nothing stated that we know of by family or those Officers that viewed the video(s) that he was displaying any mental health issue markers.

Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 6, Art. 6.06. Peace Officer to Prevent Injury Whenever, in the presence of a peace officer, or within his view, one person is about to commit an offense against the person or property of another, including the person or property of his spouse, or injure himself, it is his duty to prevent it; and, for this purpose the peace officer may summon any number of the citizens of his county to his aid. The peace officer must use the amount of force necessary to prevent the commission of the offense, and no greater.

An Emergency Apprehension and Detention (A&D) only occurs when an emotionally disturbed individual is unable to make treatment decisions regarding their mental health, no safe alternatives are available for the individual, and the individual has done something that tends to confirm the likelihood of serious harm to themselves or others.

Unfortunately, even if the Sheriff’s Office has a Mental Health Investigative Unit (where peace officers receive specific mental health training) they are only charged to investigate cases concerning emotionally disturbed persons through the collection of evidence and witness statements in addition to courtroom testimony. There was nothing stated that we know of by family or those Officers that viewed the video(s) that he was displaying any mental health issue markers.

Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 6, Art. 6.06. Peace Officer to Prevent Injury Whenever, in the presence of a peace officer, or within his view, one person is about to commit an offense against the person or property of another, including the person or property of his spouse, or injure himself, it is his duty to prevent it; and, for this purpose the peace officer may summon any number of the citizens of his county to his aid. The peace officer must use the amount of force necessary to prevent the commission of the offense, and no greater.

An Emergency Apprehension and Detention (A&D) only occurs when an emotionally disturbed individual is unable to make treatment decisions regarding their mental health, no safe alternatives are available for the individual, and the individual has done something that tends to confirm the likelihood of serious harm to themselves or others.
So no one is required to at least speak to him?

I keep seeing safe to come home? Perhaps he is disturbed by something and needed sometime away to sort his thoughts?

No, I'm sure there are some differences between states but if he is voluntarily missing and exhibiting otherwise normal and non-threatening behavior law enforcement is not required to speak to him.

This seems like a bad idea. They need to find him and check that he's not having some type of mental breakdown needing help.
I wonder if they actually talked to him and he doesn't want any info to be given to family.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How odd. Of course, we never know what's going on in others' personal lives and what seems odd to me might end up making total sense. Wonder where he's been staying? I'm guessing he's been using cash to get by? :waitasec:

How odd. Of course, we never know what's going on in others' personal lives and what seems odd to me might end up making total sense. Wonder where he's been staying? I'm guessing he's been using cash to get by? :waitasec:
I just think it's really cruel to do that to your family.

I mean, leave a note or call a friend or something. Who wants the cops looking for them and their name and face all over the news? Walking out on your family doesn't surprise me, but doing it this way is weird. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The only thing I found odd was the wife going to sleep before 10 when he normally got home. I'm married to an engineer. He works some late hours. I always wait up until he is home.

Definitely agree that he should have contacted somebody. When you have search parties out looking for you... if you've left voluntarily, just call somebody. Whether it be LE or a friend or family -- whoever!

My husband works late as well, and I don't always wait up for him, so that didn't seem too terribly odd to me. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. Just depends on how tired I am lol.
:countsheep:

I wonder if they actually talked to him and he doesn't want any info to be given to family.

That I could understand. I can't understand viewing him on surveillance footage and not trying to speak to him before closing the case.

Supposely he is now without a job?

Maybe LE knows something they aren't sharing?

Sadly, it sounds like he has just decided to walk away from his family and life. There's a go **** me account set up for his family.

I feel sorry for his children as this will affect them for the rest of their lives, how well I know how they are feeling right now....None of us knows what went on behind closed doors ......

I wonder if he has spoken with his wife? Remains quite odd.... to just walk away on an early Sunday evening with nothing in your vehicle? I hope this gentleman gets whatever help he needs.

According to the local news he has not spoken with any member of his family.....

I wonder if he has spoken with his wife? Remains quite odd.... to just walk away on an early Sunday evening with nothing in your vehicle? I hope this gentleman gets whatever help he needs.

His wife said on her FB update that she has not heard from him. [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We found the Go Fund Me. My cousin, who has a best friend in the area, had originally sent me the news article. She's a best selling author and going to donate book sales thru the holiday to his wife She was left in the same boat 20 some years ago, no kids, but a small, failing farm, but I remember the hell she went through to get back on her feet.

We found the Go Fund Me. My cousin, who has a best friend in the area, had originally sent me the news article. She's a best selling author and going to donate book sales thru the holiday to his wife She was left in the same boat 20 some years ago, no kids, but a small, failing farm, but I remember the hell she went through to get back on her feet.
Oh my, what a kind thing to do!

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

His wife posted on FB that he was safe and "getting the help he needs" and then took her FB private. So I doubt we will learn more but happy he is getting help with whatever was troubling him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuardianAngelTaskForce
Back