TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.abc24.com/news/local/sto...rsburg-Mom/mHH1jSHbmk2DiFD9aEpxCw.cspx?rss=59

Box did say one of the last people Karen Swift was in touch with before she disappeared was her teenage daughter. She sent a text message to her mom saying, “Mom come get me.” Authorities say Karen Swift picked up her daughter from a Halloween party. According to investigators, they arrived home between 1:30 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. Sunday, October 30th. Later that morning, Karen Swift was gone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mily-plead-Tennessee-mothers-safe-return.html

Her husband David, whom she was divorcing, told police he last saw his wife at home after she returned from the party to drop off their children.

Mr Swift said they spoke briefly before he went to bed, but he has not talked to reporters about his wife. She filed for divorce on October 11.

This is what I hate about not having a really good LE press conference. There are so many questions from media reporting - IMHO.

BBM - This statement has always bothered me. According to reports now, she wasn't intending to drop off her children. She had a sick daughter that she climbed into bed with.

Did she pick up one or both girls. First reports said children, now it says that one was sick, so I do not think that we know the answer to this. The media that reported that it was a teenage daughter really bothered me because I knew that they were younger.

Even if there is information that is critical to keep quiet, IMHO, I do not think that the TBI or local LE are doing the case any favors by keeping quiet. I think that there should be a LOT of noise in missing person cases. I think they should have a good press conference and remind people to come forward with information. I think they should put to rest any mis-information already in the public. That is JMHO. But, I am also very impatient! :maddening: I do NOT like the fact that Karen, Holly, Gail, and Shelley are all still missing!! I know there are others too!

Hello,
I've been lurking here since Karen went missing. She is a good friend of mine who I have known since I was about 5 years old. We live further apart now, so FB had been our main communication. My mom called me Sunday night when she heard from Karen's uncle that she was missing. My mom had been texting with her about her filing for divorce and she spoke of how she was ready to live life for her and her kids. Ready to be happy.

I can say that I am so confused. This is such a mystery and I am so frustrated that there are no answers to the simple questions we all have. I understand hindering the investigation, but it is still frustrating.

I don't know David personally and I do not know what I think about this whole situation. My gut wants to go with him as a suspect because he was the last to see her and he has not been pleading out for help to find her. My brain searches for HOW he could have. It just doesn't make sense. She would never go off and leave her little girls, never. It makes no sense for her to willingly leave at that time in the morning unless she was presently staying with a friend while the divorce was pending. Still, nothing has been mentioned about that. It's still weighs on me like maybe it was a possibility.

Her car would have been notifying her of a low tire (I have had that car before) so I don't see her driving it that way all night when she went to the party and all. It makes me think it happened after she was taken from her vehicle (if that happened).

Her urgent texts and calls to a friend makes me uneasy, too. If we knew what time she came home from the party things would fit together better. Did she get home at say 10-11... something happened and she needed to talk to her friend... then later she got the call to get daughter and maybe he thought she had gone out... He got upset... I don't know. So many questions, no answers. :maddening:

Hello,
I've been lurking here since Karen went missing. She is a good friend of mine who I have known since I was about 5 years old. We live further apart now, so FB had been our main communication. My mom called me Sunday night when she heard from Karen's uncle that she was missing. My mom had been texting with her about her filing for divorce and she spoke of how she was ready to live life for her and her kids. Ready to be happy.

I can say that I am so confused. This is such a mystery and I am so frustrated that there are no answers to the simple questions we all have. I understand hindering the investigation, but it is still frustrating.

I don't know David personally and I do not know what I think about this whole situation. My gut wants to go with him as a suspect because he was the last to see her and he has not been pleading out for help to find her. My brain searches for HOW he could have. It just doesn't make sense. She would never go off and leave her little girls, never. It makes no sense for her to willingly leave at that time in the morning unless she was presently staying with a friend while the divorce was pending. Still, nothing has been mentioned about that. It's still weighs on me like maybe it was a possibility.

Her car would have been notifying her of a low tire (I have had that car before) so I don't see her driving it that way all night when she went to the party and all. It makes me think it happened after she was taken from her vehicle (if that happened).

Her urgent texts and calls to a friend makes me uneasy, too. If we knew what time she came home from the party things would fit together better. Did she get home at say 10-11... something happened and she needed to talk to her friend... then later she got the call to get daughter and maybe he thought she had gone out... He got upset... I don't know. So many questions, no answers. :maddening:

Welcome to WS...I am so sorry about your friend and hope that somehow she is found safe. Right now, there just aren't enough details really, and there is always hope, although I admit it doesn't sound good at the moment, and as you say, leaving her children seems very unlikely.

Hello,

Here4myfriend, first of all, welcome to Websleuths, but more importantly, I am so sorry that your dear friend is missing. I cannot imagine being in that situation.

I take it that you didn't know Karen's husband very well?

Regarding what time she came home, the multiple media reports that I have read implied that she left the party when she received a text from her daughter and arrived home around 1:30 or 1:45 am. Of course that doesn't mean that that is accurate as quite often one media source simply parrots the assumption and reporting of another.

Do you really think it is possible that Karen could have been staying over at a male friend's place? If that is a possibility, and I understand that this is still a long shot, but then that would explain why she would go out in the middle of the night. Otherwise it simply doesn't make sense to me!

Again, so sorry about your friend. I hope that you find resolution soon.

:welcome: Welcome Here4myfriend!! I am so terribly sorry Karen is missing. I have followed this case closely from day 1, and I can tell you that I still have more questions than answers. I hope sincerely that this is the weekend that she will be found - and that by some miracle she is safe.

Hello,

Welcome to WS. You will find this to be a very supportive and incredibly informative place with the best researchers online. Truly an amazing group. (I am not one of those incredible researchers-just come for updates and to give my two cents now and then.)

I am so sorry about your friend and her case has touched me. She seems like such a lovely woman and loving mother. I pray she is found safe and that we find out what happened to her soon. I don't really know what to think either, but the husband is not looking to great here. I just don't know, but please let her friends and family know that she is in a lot people's thoughts and prayers.

Thanks everyone!!! :yourock:

Like I said before, I have been coming here for updates and anonymous support for a while. I felt that this is a place I can trust.

No, I do not think she had been staying with a male friend. With all the texting to my mom, she had mentioned numerous times that when the she gave David the papers this would be a time for her to start taking care of herself and her kids. She said that she did not want to be on the dating scene and some friends were trying to "hook" her up. She just wanted to get out, get settled and be the best mom she could. She is a wonderful person. Beautiful, as you all have seen, but it's inside too! She came to see my daughter right after she was born and we had been making plans to meet for lunch soon. She lives about an hour and half from me now. As for the media talking about her losing weight recently and the working out...:sheesh: She has been a work out queen forever!!! I have to admit, she may have been doing more of it bc of her marriage problems.

Background... (this has no significance to the case, but special to me)
We lived in Walnut Ridge, Ar. My dad was/is a pastor. She had started coming to our church. She eventually became so close to our family, babysitting me and my brother, and became family to me. A big sister.

We moved away for a church and that is why I do not know David. Preston, I met when he was little, but have not seen him in a long time.

I am not naive and I do know that this does not look good. But you will not see me speak of her in past tense. She's a fighter, if I've ever known one. Things just don't add up, but hope and faith is all I have right now.

I can tell you one thing, my doors are locked all the time now. This has scared me so much. I'm scared to let my 4 kids go play outside. I don't want to be that way, but when something happens so close to home...

Back to topic, I just don't know. If husband did something, how could he and not leave some evidence? If she was planning to meet someone, wouldn't there be texts or calls to lead the police? If she was staying with a friend, shouldn't we have heard that? I want more info!!!:banghead:

People have speculated about why Karen's costume was in the car. Well, she likely changed clothes before leaving the party to pick up her daughter. When she got home, I'd think Karen was focused on getting her daughter inside the house and tending to her, so she didn't take time to grab the costume. I don't think she planned to go back out, leaving a sick child at home, even though the dad was there. If she did put her pj's on, that's an even surer sign she didn't intend to leave again that night.

But...what if she decided to run to a 24-hour store to buy her daughter some medicine? That's the only reason I can imagine KS would move her sick daughter to another bed (didn't want her to sleep alone, so she was obviously concerned about her) and go out in the middle of the night.

What stores are open 24/7 in that area; which is closest and along the route she was heading when she got the flat tire, turned around and pulled to the side of the road? I still wonder how the tire when flat - sabotage? By someone lurking in the dark? Do we know about any of the neighbors in the area where she pulled off the road?

People have speculated about why Karen's costume was in the car. Well, she likely changed clothes before leaving the party to pick up her daughter. When she got home, I'd think Karen was focused on getting her daughter inside the house and tending to her, so she didn't take time to grab the costume. I don't think she planned to go back out, leaving a sick child at home, even though the dad was there. If she did put her pj's on, that's an even surer sign she didn't intend to leave again that night.

But...what if she decided to run to a 24-hour store to buy her daughter some medicine? That's the only reason I can imagine KS would move her sick daughter to another bed (didn't want her to sleep alone, so she was obviously concerned about her) and go out in the middle of the night.

What stores are open 24/7 in that area; which is closest and along the route she was heading when she got the flat tire, turned around and pulled to the side of the road? I still wonder how the tire when flat - sabotage? By someone lurking in the dark? Do we know about any of the neighbors in the area where she pulled off the road?

If she had to run out to get medicine, would she not have told her ex husband? Apparently they did talk that night/early morning so I would think she was comfortable enough to let him know she was going to get medicine.

Or not.

:sigh:

If she had to run out to get medicine, would she not have told her ex husband? Apparently they did talk that night/early morning so I would think she was comfortable enough to let him know she was going to get medicine.

Or not.

Since he'd gone to bed, she may have not wanted to wake him. We don't know what time she left the house and she may have planned to return home within a few minutes if a store was nearby. She was careful not to disturb her daughter when she moved her, so I think she was being considerate in not waking anyone else in the house. But, her sick daughter may have been having a restless night - perhaps she had a nasty cough that was getting worse, or she had started feeling feverish - so KS was worried about her and couldn't find any medicine in the house to treat her symptoms. Just a thought.

Since he'd gone to bed, she may have not wanted to wake him. We don't know what time she left the house and she may have planned to return home within a few minutes if a store was nearby. She was careful not to disturb her daughter when she moved her, so I think she was being considerate in not waking anyone else in the house. But, her sick daughter may have been having a restless night - perhaps she had a nasty cough that was getting worse, or she had started feeling feverish - so KS was worried about her and couldn't find any medicine in the house to treat her symptoms. Just a thought.

I have wondered the same thing. It sounds like the most believable reason she would leave. (If she did leave) I'm still not sure I believe she left the house.

Question- I read that the dogs did not pick up Karen's scent in or around her vehicle? Is that normal? This may be a dumb question, but something that I just don't understand. If she had driven the vehicle that night how could her scent not be in there?

I have wondered the same thing. It sounds like the most believable reason she would leave. (If she did leave) I'm still not sure I believe she left the house.

Question- I read that the dogs did not pick up Karen's scent in or around her vehicle? Is that normal? This may be a dumb question, but something that I just don't understand. If she had driven the vehicle that night how could her scent not be in there?

Actually, I'm with you on this one. I totally do not understand how her scent could not be there. It was her car. I seems Karen's scent would be all over in that car!

I'm sorry about your friend. You are in my thoughts!

Thank you for coming forward with so much good information! You are Webslueths at it's best!
Sorry about your friend, Karen. It does not look good at all.

Your question about the dog(s) is most important. As is so common in these cases, we just don't get the kind of specific, detailed info we so desire!
I wonder how many dogs were used, what kind of tracking dogs they are, and how good they are? Has LE experience with them?
It would be most telling if the dog(s) indicated her presence in the car, but not outside it!
Even more telling if husband's presence is indicated outside where the car was found!

What do you all think of the sex offender's involvement in the 5 cases. Unfortunately, I missed Prime News but Vinnie was going to discuss it. Did anybody watch?¸

http://www.zimbio.com/IU/articles/xv1b7qeEIuc/UPDATED+TBI+Steps+Up+Search+Missing+Dyersburg

https://www.facebook.com/PrimeNewsHLN

If it is this guy I can see 3 of them being a crime by opportunity since they were all supposedly out alone. I have trouble fitting Holly and KM in it tho. We dont know that KM even left her apartment that night. Perhaps she did decide to walk over to a c-store and buy a coke or something. That would put her in the opportunity for a random serial killer.

The only thing that I see that would tie him to all is if he first picks his victim and stalks them until the opportunity is there to abduct. That would explain KM and Holly. This dude would have had to been stalking and know when everyone left Bobo's house and what time Holly left for school. And know when John left KM apartment.

A friend of my husband's just posted on a message board last night that his wife's friend is missing. From Orlando, Michelle I believe. Her H3 was found abandoned as well. What is going on??? I don't know if I believe these in the Southeast are connected or not! It seems do-able. :dunno:

My husband and I were talking last night about "what ifs". If they are connected. If these women have all been taken for sex slaves or whatever you want to call them. I know it's horrible to think, but then I think they could all be held somewhere and be alive!!! It's probably not likely and if so I don't think our LE has the capability of finding the leads they need for such a serial crime. Not putting them down, it's just not something they are used to I guess. I don't understand why the FBI isn't helping more.

:newhere:
I'm so glad to have a place to discuss this with people who care. Sometimes I feel so lost playing scenarios over and over in my head. Karen's mom has been talking to me on FB a little and she feels so helpless. Her status updates bring tears to my eyes.

If anyone is interested, on Nancy Grace the other night Carol (K's mom) was interviewed and said she didn't know the details of Karen and David's marriage. I believe she was being pretty honest. Her and Karen are close, but not like talking everyday close. She may not have discussed the details with her mom yet. I know that my mom and her are really close and she had only told her that she was going to leave for a few days while David is served. (She apparently took the girls for a short trip when D was served, I wouldn't want to be at the house either) She had not given my mom details of how he reacted yet. In a text between my mom and her, my mom said "will there be trouble when he gets the papers?" Karen's answer "BIG trouble." This weighs on me terribly.

Or not.

Why not leave a note somewhere saying she'd gone out, if that was the case? If the little girl was sleeping, why get up to go to a store that early and not wait until a more "normal" time since it was a Sunday? Not having logical answers to those questions, I am skeptical she was going out for that reason.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members