TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the daughter was just homesick. It would have been an emotional time for any child, she probably just wanted to be at home with her parents.

I heard that also...that she was just homesick and wanted to go home. Have no idea if that is correct or not.

What would the tire be like if someone had punctured it enough to know it would be flat soon, and then driven it from the house to where it was found?

Would that be enough to make it come off the rim?

if that little girl sharing the bed got up in the middle of the night and found both parents gone...that might be something the police know...just guessing.

That was my thought, too. The father allowed one of the girls to be questioned by LE.

The car had to come from the north (away from the party ) or west (the way of house) according to LE. The car pulled off the hwy and then made a U turn to end up where it was. Maybe they could tell by the tire prints. Driving with a very flat tire ---down to the rim is not easy to drive.

Since her brother stated the hubby said he saw her leave....did she tell him where she was going? How soon after she had tucked the sick daughter in?

Two things don't sit right with me right now. The neighbor said he wasn't too concerned about discovering the car/and flat because his family knew her...yet he made it a point to call DS and let him know his wife's car was on the side of the road. ?? Did he know they were divorcing? Why would he think the husband wouldn't know that?

Why after the neighbor called to tell him about the car...did DS call his son to ask if his mother was with him? She was only a quarter mile from her house....why wouldn't she just return or call DS for help? Why in the world, would DS think she was with the son? I don't know how close the college is to their house....but I thought it just strange.

This is all going off what the media has reported....which may be flawed at this point.

IIRC DS first called Karen's friends and asked if she was with them. The son was not notified until 4:00 p.m. ?? moo

One of the reasons why the husband might say he saw her leave is that he did - and then he followed her. In a polygraph, unless they asked him that, the "I saw her leave" part would come up as truthful. It is just striking some kind of memory of other perps who have truthfully told a portion of the story - they saw the victim.

I am also still concerned about the neighbor.

bbm

I admit I have wondered if David had been drinking while Karen was at the party...it might also explain why she didn't wake him IF she left the house again (note BIG if...imho anything is still possible)

It would also explain why he didn't go get his sick daughter. Why did Karen go? He was home and Karen was at a party. It would've made more sense if he went rather than Karen having to leave a party.

So is the report about the tires being slashed incorrect? Where did that come from? Big difference between a flat tire versus slashed tires. Good grief.

Methinks that NG is getting some facts wrong or just interpreting them in her own way to fit her theory that hubby did it. I watched her show last night (UGH!) and found myself wanting to yell at her several times. Comparing the cases of Annie Le, Laci Peterson, and the wife of Robert Blake to this one. Annie was stuffed in a wall, Laci was dumped in the bay 2 hours from home, and Robert Blake's wife was found in the car with a gunshot wound immediately after, so how are these 3 cases "identical?" Oh... they were all murdered... I guess that's it.
Where are they getting that the tire was completely off the rim? It could have just popped loose in one spot, the pictures of it didn't look like the tire was completely off to me, but who knows? I couldn't believe she was asking the tire expert (?) if a screw like that could find its way into a tire somewhere? Really?? Does she know nothing? We have had flats fixed and they found all kinds of things in them, bottle tops, small rocks, nails, you name it. Both my husband and my dad always told me, if I was out on the road at night by myself and got a flat, to drive it home on the rim, don't worry about the tire or the rim, those can be replaced. My dad said he would rather pay for a new tire and wheel than a funeral.
Also where did Nancy get that she wasn't killed in the spot her body was found? Did that info change from one day to the next? On the 13th, the sheriff said there was no indication she was killed elsewhere.
So I guess that her theory that the hubby did it doesn't take into account that there would be blood and DNA in HIS vehicle.... unless he dragged her body 3 miles to the cemetary and then walked back home. (I think I remember that the cemetary is in the other direction from where the car was found, with their home in between, closer to the found car location... right?)
I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the neighbor who killed Karen's dog. Still don't think it's the hubby, things are just not adding up.... but I could be wrong.

Methinks that NG is getting some facts wrong or just interpreting them in her own way to fit her theory that hubby did it. I watched her show last night (UGH!) and found myself wanting to yell at her several times. Comparing the cases of Annie Le, Laci Peterson, and the wife of Robert Blake to this one. Annie was stuffed in a wall, Laci was dumped in the bay 2 hours from home, and Robert Blake's wife was found in the car with a gunshot wound immediately after, so how are these 3 cases "identical?" Oh... they were all murdered... I guess that's it.
Where are they getting that the tire was completely off the rim? It could have just popped loose in one spot, the pictures of it didn't look like the tire was completely off to me, but who knows? I couldn't believe she was asking the tire expert (?) if a screw like that could find its way into a tire somewhere? Really?? Does she know nothing? We have had flats fixed and they found all kinds of things in them, bottle tops, small rocks, nails, you name it. Both my husband and my dad always told me, if I was out on the road at night by myself and got a flat, to drive it home on the rim, don't worry about the tire or the rim, those can be replaced. My dad said he would rather pay for a new tire and wheel than a funeral.
Also where did Nancy get that she wasn't killed in the spot her body was found? Did that info change from one day to the next? On the 13th, the sheriff said there was no indication she was killed elsewhere.
So I guess that her theory that the hubby did it doesn't take into account that there would be blood and DNA in HIS vehicle.... unless he dragged her body 3 miles to the cemetary and then walked back home. (I think I remember that the cemetary is in the other direction from where the car was found, with their home in between, closer to the found car location... right?)
I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the neighbor who killed Karen's dog. Still don't think it's the hubby, things are just not adding up.... but I could be wrong.

NG is more sensationalism and about her than real...i don't watch her...but i am still waiting to understand why karen left the house...it just not make sense based on what we know, but hopefully the police know more....
but as far as blood in his vehicle you are assuming she had received wounds that bled...strangulation don't lead to bleeding.....of course her car could have been used for the dumping...one report said some things found in her car might have evidentiary value...one poster said the husband saw her leave..have not seen that..but as i said we do not have the entire picture..but sometimes what it looks like is what it is.

I posted a link to a video a couple of days ago (Tuesday evening) where the Sheriff is reported to have said that she was murdered elsewhere and her body was moved to the location where she was found. That report is the most recent report on the subject.

Wasn't the dog still alive? The dog was sick and the husband had seen the dog at the neighbor's place. Police determined that the dog did get sick at the neighbor's place. Do we know that the neighbor didn't have poison somewhere for other reasons and the dogs got into it?

I really believe Sheriff Box knows exactly what he is doing in this case and knows who he has in mind. I will say that I've read and heard that Mr. Swift is being very cooperative with police. For some reason LE is being very hush on this and maybe for good reason? My heart breaks over this and I hope they find soon what happened to her and who did it. IMO i do not believe its a serial killer but somebody who knows her very well? Only time will tell.....

NG is more sensationalism and about her than real...i don't watch her...but i am still waiting to understand why karen left the house...it just not make sense based on what we know, but hopefully the police know more....
but as far as blood in his vehicle you are assuming she had received wounds that bled...strangulation don't lead to bleeding.....of course her car could have been used for the dumping...one report said some things found in her car might have evidentiary value...one poster said the husband saw her leave..have not seen that..but as i said we do not have the entire picture..but sometimes what it looks like is what it is.

Nancy Grace was my hero until she started talking about this case, I know she's has a law degree but she is trying so hard to get people to admit the husband did it. I just believe she hasn't really researched this case well enough. Like she's contradiciting herself, just my opinion of course!

Where are they getting that the tire was completely off the rim? It could have just popped loose in one spot, the pictures of it didn't look like the tire was completely off to me, but who knows?

Sheriff Box is the one who said the tire was off the rim when he talked to reporters the other day. All the information in this article came straight from him.

The sheriff said Swift's husband, who she was divorcing, is cooperating, answering questions for investigators who are trying to solve her murder.

Her car was discovered, with a tire off the rim, pulled over about a quarter of a mile from her home. Swift had been to a Halloween party and brought her young daughter home from a sleep over when she disappeared.

Box said her tire had a puncture in it and a sheet rock screw in it. The TBI crime lab is conducting more tests on the tire.

"We have to move forward with this case as a homicide investigation and we have to go after the person who is responsible," Box said.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/16319091/sheriff-believes-mid-south-mom-was-murdered

TxLady said:
I couldn't believe she was asking the tire expert (?) if a screw like that could find its way into a tire somewhere? Really?? Does she know nothing?
Nancy is just cross-examining like an attorney, asking obvious questions the people at home might also have, as if they are a jury. If this case every comes to trial we will hear the same types of questions in court.

I think they just don't know exactly where the crime scene is yet, but they will get there eventually. I'm sure they have some theories.

TxLady said:
So I guess that her theory that the hubby did it doesn't take into account that there would be blood and DNA in HIS vehicle.... unless he dragged her body 3 miles to the cemetary and then walked back home.
There's no blood with strangulation or a blow to the head. Someone could even be beaten senseless without having much external blood flow. There could be internal bleeding, though, that would kill a person.

Two days ago the Dyersburg State Gazette had this about injuries to the body:

"Due to her body being placed and concealed in the area that it was recovered from and apparent injuries to her body it has been ruled a homicide," said Box in an interview with the State Gazette. "We are currently awaiting results of an autopsy from the medical examiner's office in Memphis to determine the cause of death."

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1793716.html

TxLady said:
(I think I remember that the cemetary is in the other direction from where the car was found, with their home in between, closer to the found car location... right?)

Box said the body had been concealed by undergrowth and vegetation for some time close to Bledsoe Cemetery, which lies off of Harness Road. The location where her body was found is approximately three miles northwest from where Swift's 2004 Nissan Murano was found abandoned with a reported flat tire at the intersection of Millsfield Highway and Harness Road on Sunday, Oct. 30.

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1793716.html

It would also explain why he didn't go get his sick daughter. Why did Karen go? He was home and Karen was at a party. It would've made more sense if he went rather than Karen having to leave a party.

But they're going through a divorce, and if she asked him to do it he might see it as a sign of weakness - that she coudn't take care of the girls alone without help.

And Karen told her friend that she wasn't having fun at the party anyway. So maybe it was a relief to have a reason to leave and go pick up her daughter. And maybe she knew the girl was just wanting to spend time with her. After all, this is a woman who just started working a bunch of new jobs, so the daughter might have just wanted some time with Mom. Sadly that's a thing she'll never have again. :(

Nancy Grace was my hero until she started talking about this case, I know she's has a law degree but she is trying so hard to get people to admit the husband did it. I just believe she hasn't really researched this case well enough. Like she's contradiciting herself, just my opinion of course!

If i am flipping channels i sometimes catch some of her show and usually just get tired of her rudeness or incessant self love and change the channel...the other night i caught the first few minutes about michelle parker in fl..when a body was found in a pond...i thought her show on the east coast was live since there are callers...not sure how that works...but if it was live at 8 pm the local news in florida had been reporting since perhaps 5 oclock the body was a man and not related to the case...but nancy was reporting just a body has been found as breaking news and let people believe it could be related..i guess it just makes it all the more exciting but completely false. i never checked back to see if she corrected the story. but i don't take her very seriously.

ok i admit i am overstepping even my amateur sleuthing abilities, but one thing that might lead one to believe its not the husband is how the body was found...seems like when a significant other is the killer, the body is well hidden..lots of thought is put into it, under a newly poured cement, buried, burned, sunk in a body of water...but this was somewhat hurriedly dumped on a private road but more to hide the dumpers activity than to hide the body for any length of time. how long did they think the cudzu had been brown? how thick would it have been on oct 30th? but i still need to understand why she would leave like she did without calling someone, getting a call or telling her ex.

Have we heard from anyone who was at the party with her? Who threw the party? A close friend? An acquaintance? Did she go with someone or alone? These are all questions we don't have answers to as far as I know.

Who was the friend who said Karen was bored and how did she know? Did she speak to Karen that night? If so what time? I thought she tried texting one of her friends but got no reply?

ok i admit i am overstepping even my amateur sleuthing abilities, but one thing that might lead one to believe its not the husband is how the body was found...seems like when a significant other is the killer, the body is well hidden..lots of thought is put into it, under a newly poured cement, buried, burned, sunk in a body of water...but this was somewhat hurriedly dumped on a private road but more to hide the dumpers activity than to hide the body for any length of time. how long did they think the cudzu had been brown? how thick would it have been on oct 30th? but i still need to understand why she would leave like she did without calling someone, getting a call or telling her ex.

She was found in a cemetary near a giant cross. That implies to me that maybe the person who killed her had some remorse, which implies someone who knew her.

Picture of the Cross Here: http://www.stategazette.com/story/1793716.html

The body was found in a place that is normally covered in kudzu, approximately 100 yards from a tall metal cross that sits high on a bluff. The cross is visible looking south from Highway 78, close to the Obion River Bridge.

Kudzu is always thick - it covers everything. The kudzu did not die this year until after Halloween because Tennessee didn't have freezing temps until then. It takes a frost down in the 20s to really kill the leaves, so it died quite a while after her body was left there.

I doubt in the dark at night with their mind racing that this person studied the plant life. They might not have realized it was kudzu in the dark. I think this was a crime of passion and was quickly covered up. I think the person wasn't familiar with the fact that in winter only roots and vines were showing at the back of the old cemetery.

I posted a link to a video a couple of days ago (Tuesday evening) where the Sheriff is reported to have said that she was murdered elsewhere and her body was moved to the location where she was found. That report is the most recent report on the subject.

Wasn't the dog still alive? The dog was sick and the husband had seen the dog at the neighbor's place. Police determined that the dog did get sick at the neighbor's place. Do we know that the neighbor didn't have poison somewhere for other reasons and the dogs got into it?

Exactly!! The husband watched his dog go to the neighbors and he came back sick. The dog was taken to the vet and kept overnight for observation and returned home the next morning. I have always believed that the neighbor had either set out poison for some other animal or rodent that had been a problem, not realizing that stray dogs would come along, or, that he just had some chemical in an old can in his garage. Karen went to the neighbors house and the guy was not home but she saw a pan of something blue and figured it was poisonous. I wondered if it was his actual intent to poison dogs, or it just happened that way. moo

She was found in a cemetary near a giant cross. That implies to me that maybe the person who killed her had some remorse, which implies someone who knew her.

Picture of the Cross Here: http://www.stategazette.com/story/1793716.html

The kudzu did not die until after Halloween because Tennessee didn't have freezing temps until then. It takes a frost down in the 20s to really kill the leaves, so it died quite a while after her body was left there.

I doubt in the dark at night with their mind racing that this person studied the plant life. They might not have realized it was kudzu in the dark. I think this was a crime of passion and was quickly covered up. I think the person wasn't familiar with the fact that in winter only roots and vines were showing at the back of the old cemetery.

I don't see a cross. :waitasec:

ETA: Nevermind found it. The cross is by the cemetery and not where her body was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member