TN - Karen Swift, 44, murdered, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 *husband charged in 2022* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So I take it that if there is a retrial, the charges that David was found not guilty of will not apply.

I doubt the state is going to put on another trial with out the charges of 1st degree murder, knowing they have no physical evidence and the circumstantial evidence they do have is weak at best.

JMO

So it looks like voluntary manslaughter will be the new jury’s job. Unless the prosecution wants to wait to see if they can link more evidence to this case.

It seems like this thread is not that surprised by this verdict. I haven’t been following this case that closely. But it seems to me that either he intentionally murdered her or he didn’t. How are they hung on voluntary manslaughter? The state’s theory was he murdered her! It should’ve just been NG all the way down it seems to me. JMO

Who ever she went to meet or someone that knew Karen could expose things about them or their lifestyle that would be damaging for them.

JMO
Then I hope they look at Heather Cohen’s investigation and who SHE thinks did it.

Caught up on this story -- if there is a retrial - certainly hope that the state will have more evidence to present, if not, best to leave it alone. Who killed Karen Swift? moo
Wanted to post a picture of Karen Swift & also linking an article to credit said photo. Rest easy, Ms. Swift.

1717776978635.png

Of course the spouse is the usual suspect. I believe this went to a grand jury to indict DS.
Evidence did not solidify even to convince all jurors of DS guilt?
Not guilty on 1st degree murder and attempted 1st degree murder.

Interesting conclusion …
The Jurors did conclude that they were deadlocked on a verdict for the involuntary manslaughter charge and so the judge declared a mistrial on that charge. Got the feeling DS just as surprised as most about the outcome.
The DA has yet to announce their next move. moo and speculation

I think the testimony from her kids set him free. This case was especially heartbreaking for me because she was around my age and I felt for her kids. He has been a suspect from the internet, but if I remember correctly the investigation was slow to start in the beginning and things were possibly missed due to that lag. I wish there was justice for Karen

MOO, this case should never have reached a jury. The judge allowed the DA to offer investigator speculation about facts in the absence of any evidence, and to offer speculation about those speculations in closing argument. The judge's example made speculation seem like inference until the jury heard the actual instructions. The key evidence they offered was either ambiguous or explained away IMO. Even with the judge's generous help, the prosecution couldn't get a conviction.

The DA at the time of the Swift murder refused even to take the case to a grand jury. Intense local politics drove his successor to file this case IMO, and intense local politics meant that the judge did not want to take responsibility for dismissing it for insufficient evidence. With that understanding, I would not be surprised if the voluntary manslaughter charge was pursued in a retrial. But I expect the outcome will be no different.

Swift should be thanking his lucky stars he lives in a country where juries, not elected officials, determine criminal responsibility based on proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back