TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
December, if it's OK with you, I'll go and post something on the Nashville Craig's list site asking for people who went to the rollerdrome that night to email me. Maybe we can at least narrow down where she was last seen and if anyone noticed any unwanted attention her way. I don't want to do any of this without your permission though, as its your family member. My heart is completely broken for your family. You all have been through so, so much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It would be fine with me if you want to do that. I'm not that good of a sleuth, really.

I appreciate your kindness. I feel bad about bringing all of this stuff up, but I don't want anyone to think we're all dandy and just wrote her off or something. And I can see that if someone doesn't know, it kind of looks that way.

But, I really do appreciate how nice you've been.

It would be fine with me if you want to do that. I'm not that good of a sleuth, really.

I appreciate your kindness. I feel bad about bringing all of this stuff up, but I don't want anyone to think we're all dandy and just wrote her off or something. And I can see that if someone doesn't know, it kind of looks that way.

But, I really do appreciate how nice you've been.

No need to feel bad. Not here anyways. We're here because we all believe everyone deserves to come home, especially a child. I'll go ahead after work today and sew if I can't find a pretty visible spot to post on Craig's list.

Do you happen to know if the dollar or any change was found with Kathy?

No need to feel bad. Not here anyways. We're here because we all believe everyone deserves to come home, especially a child. I'll go ahead after work today and sew if I can't find a pretty visible spot to post on Craig's list.

Do you happen to know if the dollar or any change was found with Kathy?

I appreciate your doing that on Craig's List.

That is an excellent question about the money!

I know the murderer went through all her stuff. She had cards in her purse and he threw them down. He wadded up her clothes and threw them down. I guess if she had any money he would have taken it, but .. who knows.. maybe not.

I agree. It wasn't a one time crime. It was extremely brutal. This person may have killed many people. This is why I wonder if it's not the POI the police had. It seems even if he didn't slip up to let them arrest him for Kathy, he would have for someone. Or they... I've wondered if it was two people.

Does anyone know where Franklyn Floyd and his rapist accomplice were at at this time all of these little girls fit their "type" and the area is familar to them?

Does anyone know where Franklyn Floyd and his rapist accomplice were at at this time all of these little girls fit their "type" and the area is familar to them?

I don't know who Franklyn Floyd is, but I will search him.

What was his type?

Update...

I looked him up... it says he murdered an 18 year old nude dancer. Kathy was only 12 and was wearing a complete outfit including coat and gloves. Kathy had blonde hair, so I don't know if that's relevant.

What was his type?

Yes he was very active in that area, as well as his brother Billly and he was known to hang around other child rapists ..... its his MO he might have been in prison but there are several of his "pals" in that area

ETA his type: ugh! children, seems to prefer young blond Ick!

http://murderpedia.org/male.F/f/floyd-franklin-delano.htm

More on Franklyn Floyd. He was in Atlanta in 1968. This is a lengthy article. There is a timeline near the bottom of the pages, but it skips from 1968 to 1971.

ETA

He kidnapped his 'daughter'/'wife' from a bowling alley when she was four.

She has blonde hair.

I forgot to mention, the timeline does not say anything at all about this Floyd individual being in prison (as he should be, always) during the time of Kathy's murder. So, I assume he was roaming around and the areas he was known to be Knoxville and Atlanta aren't that far from Nashville. Plus earlier he was in Oklahoma. So, I'd be shocked if he didn't spend some time in Nashville.

Especially if he knew Adcox because Adcox had the job of driving the rollerdrome bus which carried a bunch of kids back and forth. Adcox probably knew what child lived in every house in Woodbine as well as when they liked to skate, what they looked like, etc. I figure if the police knew Adcox then the other pedophiles surely knew him.

ETA:
Kathy being 12 would be a little older than the Franklyn Floyd preferred, but it is possible she was small for her age. I am not sure about that. But, her mother was not that tall.

After reading the Nashville Scene article, I have been doing some thinking about this case. Here are some of my thoughts.

On the night that Kathy left her home to go to the roller skating rink, were the streets well lighted along that route? Was it a safe area for her to walk at night back then?

If Kathy encountered somebody she knew, would she have accepted a ride in their vehicle?

Did anybody ever see Kathy inside the donut store or the roller skating rink?

Did anyone from Kathy’s family ever go to the donut store or the roller rink looking for Kathy after she had been missing?

The Nashville Scene article also had me thinking about the crime scene where Kathy was found. I've noticed a couple of things here.

How far into the grassy area was her body found in a waist high weedy field?

Why was the civil defense worker in the waist high weedy field prior to finding the body?

Did the civil defense worker see something in the grassy area from the donut store parking lot?

I admit that the article has graphic details about how Kathy was found at the crime scene. I'm not trying to upset you or your family, but those details also caused me to notice a couple of things.

Were the police able to determine what might have caused those cuts on her throat?

I'm thinking that the cuts on her throat may be an important clue here.

Even though an autopsy wasn’t done, were any X-rays taken of her body?

The reason I'm asking this is that I am wondering if her neck was broken.

In addition to the question that Angels asked if money were still in Kathy's purse, I do wonder if any prints were ever lifted from Kathy’s purse.

After reading the Nashville Scene article, I have been doing some thinking about this case. Here are some of my thoughts.

On the night that Kathy left her home to go to the roller skating rink, were the streets well lighted along that route? Was it a safe area for her to walk at night back then?

If Kathy encountered somebody she knew, would she have accepted a ride in their vehicle?

Did anybody ever see Kathy inside the donut store or the roller skating rink?

Did anyone from Kathy’s family ever go to the donut store or the roller rink looking for Kathy after she had been missing?

The street where she was going was very well lit. I am not as sure about where she was walking from.. it was a city, so there were street lights. Also, there is the fullness of the moon to consider. I've never heard it was a particuarly dark night.

As far as the area... at that time, yes, I think it was considered safe to walk during the night through that neighborhood. I don't know about now. Up where the rollerdrome and Kripsy Kreme is, NOW, I would not want to walk any time of day because traffic is extremely heavy. I know it was in the late 80s. I don't know about then. There is another way to get to the mall that is used just as often as Thompson Lane, so perhaps Thompson Lane wasn't used quite so much yet in 1969 because of the tunnel.

It is unknown if she was seen at the rollerdrome or at Krispy Kreme the night of 11/29/69. I'm going to try to find out from the police, if they will tell me.

I know Nora called the police. I do not know if she actually went looking for Kathy. That is an interesting question. But, there is the issue of Kelly. I was thinking she could get someone to babysit him for her, but it was already pretty late and the police were playing off Kathy's disappearance as "she's off with a boyfriend" at that point.

I don't know if anyone from my family ever question other kids from the neighborhood, but I would think so? The houses are not far apart (the neighborhood hasn't changed that much... the house Nora lived in was built in 1945 and is now a duplex, but most houses are single family still). Also, I have to believe that someone went to those places and asked questions. But, I don't know... I am desperately trying to think of someone who would know what they did who I can ask.

Also, the house was in 37210 zip code. The businesses we're talking about were in 37211. This is a huge zip code with many businesses and it's HEAVILY patrolled by police and always has been. The South station was right there a little ways up Nolensville Road (then). Nolensville Road is the huge road that is running alongside the Rollerdrom and Krispy Kreme. Kathy would not have needed to go onto Nolensville Road which had a lot of traffic. But, the POLICE from Nolensville Road would get their doughnuts from Krispy Kreme because it was that close.

ETA:
I don't want to give the impression that the police could magically prevent all crime because they couldn't. But, I always saw cops when I drove that road. I don't know if they did a foot patrol during that time period because there were more people strolling around, but it's possible. Of course, a criminal will know the habits of the police and if they're gone from a place even for an hour, the criminal can do as he pleases.

The Nashville Scene article also had me thinking about the crime scene where Kathy was found. I've noticed a couple of things here.

How far into the grassy area was her body found in a waist high weedy field?

Why was the civil defense worker in the waist high weedy field prior to finding the body?

Did the civil defense worker see something in the grassy area from the donut store parking lot?

I admit that the article has graphic details about how Kathy was found at the crime scene. I'm not trying to upset you or your family, but those details also caused me to notice a couple of things.

Were the police able to determine what might have caused those cuts on her throat?

I'm thinking that the cuts on her throat may be an important clue here.

Even though an autopsy wasn’t done, were any X-rays taken of her body?

The reason I'm asking this is that I am wondering if her neck was broken.

In addition to the question that Angels asked if money were still in Kathy's purse, I do wonder if any prints were ever lifted from Kathy’s purse.

At this point, the doughnut store that Kathy went to is torn down. However, I went to the same place during the 90s (the same place she was trying to go although I did not know at that time it was the same one).

The weedy field HAS to have changed since that time because the only place I can think of (which I didn't go check out) isn't large. I know sometime in the 2000s the police took Kathy's brother Kelly to the location where she was found. So, when the police did that, the lot was still vacant. However, since then there have been some changes and I think KK's new building might sit there. So, that explains why the cops wanted Kelly to see it, they knew it would be the last chance before it was covered over (Donna was really upset about them doing that, but I see why they did it.)

However, from that, I think she couldn't have been that far behind the KK because by that time period the lot wasn't very large. It wasn't "weedy" particularly then. Maybe after Kathy was discovered it was made a priority to keep it trimmed.

The parking lot of the KK was in front of the store. I do not know why that guy was behind the store. I am trying to think what else might have been behind KK. I know that it would not be a shortcut to Nolensville Road to go that way because going out front would get you there faster and safer.

I don't know why he would have been out there. I hope the police asked him some questions about that. Because I was also wondering about that. Maybe it was the job of such people to scout around buildings sometimes?

You can ask me anything about what the Scene wrote. I am only being delicate here because I think it would really bother some people to hear the details. It bothers me, of course, but if Kathy can endure it then I can read about it. If it solves her murder, it is worth it.

I don't know if they determined what caused the injury to her throat. Or if they determined what caused the injuries to her chest. I believe these both can be important clues. I don't know how deep the chest wounds were, so it is hard to say if they could've killed her. The neck wound does sound like it would have. I have wondered if it was done before or after she died. Or a combination.

I don't know about X-rays. I was wondering if her neck was broken as well. They seemed to be doing a lot of damage to that area so it would fit in with that.

As far as Kathy's purse.. I would hope they looked for fingerprints there. It is obvious the murderer went through her purse. But, I don't know if they recovered anything.

I will try to check in, but I may be gone for a little while (a day). So, if someone posts, please don't think I am not thankful for your interest in the case. I will answer as soon as I can. I'll try to pop back in a couple of times, but I don't know how things are going to go for sure.

Nerosleuth, I hope I was able to provide at least some answers to your excellent questions.

I know Nora called the police. I do not know if she actually went looking for Kathy. That is an interesting question. But, there is the issue of Kelly. I was thinking she could get someone to babysit him for her, but it was already pretty late and the police were playing off Kathy's disappearance as "she's off with a boyfriend" at that point.

I agree with you that it was pretty late at night when Nora called police to report Kathy missing. I suspect that Nora probably made a few phone calls to the parents of Kathy's friends before she had to call the police.

I was thinking that the next day, perhaps someone from Kathy's family may have went to the donut store and roller rink inquiring about Kathy as they were looking for her. I would guess that they probably called or talked to Kathy's friends and their parents in her neighborhood.

Did the police ever launch a search for Kathy on the next day, or did Kathy's family launched their own search looking for her?

I agree with you that it was pretty late at night when Nora called police to report Kathy missing. I suspect that Nora probably made a few phone calls to the parents of Kathy's friends before she had to call the police.

I was thinking that the next day, perhaps someone from Kathy's family may have went to the donut store and roller rink inquiring about Kathy as they were looking for her. I would guess that they probably called or talked to Kathy's friends and their parents in her neighborhood.

Did the police ever launch a search for Kathy on the next day, or did Kathy's family launched their own search looking for her?

I believe they did.

My father went to Nashville a bunch of times to help Nora. I imagine my father personally walked every route possible from 304 Lutie St. to the rollerdrome and also to the Krispy Kreme, as well as anything anywhere nearby that might attract a young kid's attention (I don't know what was there then, but I think there was a place that sold hotdogs closer to the mall... I've never heard Kathy was going up there, but I'm just saying.. that's a place I know did exist.)

BUT, I don't know that he did this until after Kathy's body was found. We lived some ways away and my father had a full-time job that was even further away. He might have gone up there that Sunday, I will try to see if anyone knows. But, it is possible he did not or he didn't know about it until later. Because he didn't live close no one may have told him until after Kathy's body was found. But, now that I am thinking of it, he would have gone to Nashville that Sunday. So, there is an excellent chance he did search for her (I'll go into this in a sec).

Also, my uncle (who also didn't live close) probably drove up to help.

It was kind of an odd situation that there weren't any nearby men to help with this. Nora's mother was in very ill health at the time (she did recover), but the doctor was afraid she would die. So, Ed (her husband) would have probably stayed by her side at the hospital during much of this. The doctor told them not to say anything about Kathy because he was afraid it would kill her. But, Nora had the excuse of having a young child at home to explain her absence from the hospital. Faye and Linda would have needed to help Nora and help their mom as well. And I don't know how close they were to either Nora or the hospital.

And then there is my father... he DEFINITELY went to see Inez in the hospital. I imagine my at least one of my uncles was there, too.

Now, the good thing is if anyone could get them away from Inez's bedside a minute and tell them about Kathy, they would have immediately driven to Woodbine and started walking the roads looking for her. And obviously, it would not be too difficult to take them aside for a moment. So, that means 2-4 grown men who would cover that neighbhorhood thoroughly. (Two of my uncles lived thousands of miles away, so I am not sure they were there.)

And you know, now that I put all of this together.. THIS IS WHY Kathy was taken. I guarantee this Darrell person (who was related to her father, not to my family) would have known these facts. And this Adcox individual would have known at least some of this just by simple observation... not seeing very many men going around Nora's house.

After Kathy died everyone would have gone to her funeral (except Inez). So, more people to look would have possibly been there.

ETA:

I will try to find out who specifically did what and so forth if it is possible at all at this stage. But, I do believe people tried. People were seriously traumatized after Kathy was found, but I believe they would want to see if they could help if they could. Also, the police would have interviewed at least some of them in case they knew something about who might have been sniffing around Kathy.

My father got asked by the police to join the force at one point. It was a serious request. I don't know if it was around this time.

What was his type?

Update...

I looked him up... it says he murdered an 18 year old nude dancer. Kathy was only 12 and was wearing a complete outfit including coat and gloves. Kathy had blonde hair, so I don't know if that's relevant.
December, you might want to check out the threads here on WS about Sharon Marshall and Floyd. This is the latest one.

Sharon Marshall - #5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

BBM

Yes, the police did begin to search for her before she was found murdered. I think as it began to grow later and later and all of the places she might want to go closed, they began to see that something was wrong.

The Krispy Kreme might have been open much later hours than anything else (I think it was 24 hours for a while, but I'm not sure about that when it kept those hours). But, it would not take the police very long to go to KK and see that she was not there. Otherwise, after a certain point, there was no where for her to go if she wasn't at a friend's house.

At first the police thought she was with "a little boyfriend", but given her young age, I don't think they thought she'd be out all night. They just thought she might stay out later than she was supposed to (I don't know the time she was supposed to be home).

Another thing that puzzles me, after hearing this story all of these years I have always had the impression that Kathy left during the daytime. Which would make more sense.

I am wondering if 7:45 is when Nora called the police and it has gotten garbled a bit in all of the years that have passed in media reports. I honestly do not see Nora letting Kathy go out to skate AND to KK at 7:45. It would take a while to get these places and back home from them; and it's not like Kathy was allowed to be out all hours.. so, she was going to skate for 10 minutes?

I always had the idea, from my family, that Kathy left during the day and was supposed to be home by dark. And 7:45 as a time to call the police would be after it was most definitely dark and after Nora had made some phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub