GUILTY TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does the felon face a state or civil trial? I thought the s hook was being sued. Thanks.

A U.S. District Judge acknowledged that Cummins committed a "pretty despicable crime" but said there were also mitigating factors, including that he had no criminal record, that he was unlikely to reoffend, and that he promptly admitted to his crime and pleaded guilty. Cummins had asked for the minimum sentence of 10 years.

Prior to sentencing, Cummins broke down crying as he apologized for the harm he caused the victim, now 17, and his own family, some of whom were in the courtroom, including his two daughters.

Dressed in a gray-and-black-striped prison uniform, Cummins repeatedly said he had no idea why he did what he did, calling it a "misguided attempt to help that went sideways in a way I don't know I'll ever understand."

Tad Cummins, former Tennessee teacher, sentenced to 20 years in kidnapping of student

___

I'm so upset right now. He knew exactly what he was doing! Promptly admitting his crime!?!?? WTF! He was still on the run when they were found!!!!

I don't even want to listen to his daughters statement. Disgusting.

from the article in post #199

Cummins faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison for crossing state lines for sex with a minor and up to 20 years for obstruction of justice, the Associated Press reported.

So they shaved off 10 years.... should be a TON more!! I agree!

Anyone get into court site - sorry, don't know what county.... to see if the State has any hearing dates for him?

TIA! :)

Thomas' victim impact statement demonstrated how much trauma she's dealt with, following months of grooming and assault at the hands of Cummins.

'You act like you care now and that you’re full of all this regret, but where was any of that before?'

'Where was any of that when you first had me alone in your classroom closet and violated me over and over again for months? Where was any of that when you spent untold amounts of time and effort into manipulating, pressuring and deceiving me into thinking that you were the only person that cared about me?'

Thomas went on: 'All you were was a man who wanted sex, and you manipulated me and used me just for that.

'But the truth is, no matter how much time you have to serve, you will never be able to undo what you did to me. I will have to live with the scars you left on me forever.'

Tennessee teacher Tad Cummins who went on the run with a student, 15, is sentenced to serve 20 years | Daily Mail Online

There are recent pictures of her in the link above, she's engaged to be married!

Here's an article I got in my google alert:

'The devil won, my dad freaked out' Daughter of Tad Cummins pens letter before sentencing

Cummins is expected to appear in federal court for a sentencing hearing Wednesday at 2 p.m. His daughter, parents, and a former student wrote letters to Judge Aleta Trauger on his behalf.

I see I have the time wrong - it's at 2pm CT - not 10am as I posted above!
This is so very disturbing. It makes me wonder again if MCET was his first victim.

Thanks for the article, but I can not access it. Can you or someone give a 10% synopsis of this article? and if there are any court dates in there?

A public defender for Cummins filed a notice in federal court Wednesday stating Cummins would appeal his judgment and conviction to the Sixth Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals.

His defense attorneys had asked for 10 years, saying he would have faced considerably less time in jail for the crime if he and the girl hadn’t crossed state lines.

IMO this argument completely ignores the fact that he destroyed evidence resulting in an "obstruction of Justice" charge.

Thanks for the article, but I can not access it. Can you or someone give a 10% synopsis of this article? and if there are any court dates in there?

..and no court dates in article Niner

Well he still faces another trial...so maybe longer sentence yet!

Could prosecutors appeal the sentence?
Didn't they do this in th OP case recently, and were successful?
MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back