TN TN - Nashville, WhtFem 30’s UP10155, Leo pendant, poss from Chilton Co, AL, Mar'98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Being from Nashville this is a case I've always kept up with and hoped that one day it would be solved. The area she was found at is a lonely desolate place and it just breaks my heart to think of being alone and scared which I'm sure she was. I do wonder though the if the person from South Africa realizes that this lady talked to someone at a store close to Opryland ....a accent any accent would have stood out and I've never heard that she had a different accent?

Thanks for anyone's time to answer my question...I jump down this rabbithole ever so often and saw the comment about the student from South Africa..

Waiting to hear back from Amy Dobbs.

I got the form reply that the information is being forwarded to proper authorities. Crossing my fingers that that will be enough...

Do you know her? DNA research shows Nashville homicide victim has family ties in Chilton County

NWK54MARHRB65EOY7PNKEMYHHU.JPG

(click on image to enlarge)

The Metro Nashville Police Department Cold Case Unit is working to solve a homicide case from March 18, 1998.

Through DNA and ancestral research, investigators have learned the female victim has strong family ties to Chilton County, Alabama.
---
If you have any information on this victim you can call Detective Matt Filter at 615-862-7803. Tips can also be reported to Crime Stoppers at 615-742-7463.

Do you know her? DNA research shows Nashville homicide victim has family ties in Chilton County

It is really nice to know she COULD be from Chilton County, Alabama but I did still look in Tenessee as maybe she moved there? They did say she was an adult to pre 50 years old.

I found 1 girl from Jasper, Walker County, Alabama, It is a long shot but I'm really hoping we can name this Jane Doe. And found 4 girls from Tennessee.

Carrie Smith Lawson
1091DFAL - Carrie Smith Lawson
CLawson1.jpg

Shelia Faye Bradford
The Doe Network: Case File 3073DFTN
SBradford.jpg

Beatrice Bailey Coleman
The Doe Network: Case File 2183DFTN
BBColeman.jpg

Joy Diane Cannon
The Doe Network: Case File 1716DFTN
DJCannon.jpg

Trenny Lynn Gibson
The Doe Network: Case File 425DFTN
TLGibson.jpg

What do you guys think?

This is great news. Does anybody know what lab is working this case?

This is great news. Does anybody know what lab is working this case?

I have not seen it mentioned in any news articles and as genealogy is already being done lab work is completed.

Genealogy websites may be the key to identifying a woman found dead in the Cumberland River in 1998.

Metro police said she was shot in the head by someone and discovered by Cleeces Ferry.

It’s hard to crack a cold case when you don’t know who your victim is at all. Genealogy websites are helping police narrow down who the woman might be so they can start looking for the person who killed her.

Police said she was probably in her 30s, wearing a Leo zodiac necklace, and Tweety Bird pants.

"The biggest roadblock in this case is not knowing who she is. When you don't know who your victim is, that's a huge obstacle to overcome,” Detective Matthew Filter with the Metro Nashville Police Department said.

A little over a year ago, police submitted blood evidence from an autopsy to develop a DNA profile. They started using two websites for genealogy research. They were GEDmatch and Family Tree.

“DNA is the last ditch effort we have and with the genealogy aspect of being able to utilize DNA, this is something that is going to probably at least get her identified,” Detective Filter said.

Detectives have pieced together the woman was from Chilton County, Alabama. It's between Montgomery and Birmingham.

"So, we've been able to isolate at least a geographical area that she was likely from, but because of the limited number of profiles available for us to look at. It's very hard to build her family tree family to try to figure out who she might be,” Detective Filter said.

With more profiles uploaded on the genealogy websites every day, it could be weeks or stretch to years to identifying the woman.

If you have any information that could help, you can call Crime Stoppers at 615-742-7463 or log onto www.nashvillecrimestoppers.com.

Callers to Crime Stoppers can remain anonymous and qualify for an additional cash reward of up to $1,000.
Midstate Mysteries: Genealogy websites may help identify victim in 1998 Nashville cold case

It would be good to know which generation/s of her family appears to be from Chiltern Co.

This is promising news!! I wonder if the thread title should change now? NamUs still estimates her age to be 40-45 but this latest article and Doe Network estimate her to be as young as 30.

Police said she was probably in her 30s.

Detectives have pieced together the woman was from Chilton County, Alabama. It's between Montgomery and Birmingham.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Current exclusions:
MP13006 Janis Bullock 05/28/1977 Pearl River MS
MP4441 Sara Bushland 04/03/1996 Washburn WI
MP35771 Patrice Corley 12/04/1989 Jefferson KY
MP6948 Cary Huie 01/20/1998 New Castle DE
MP3059 Elizabeth Rogers 03/18/1983 Wake NC
MP16945 Colleen Voitik McHugh 04/17/1994 Will IL

“DNA is the last ditch effort we have and with the genealogy aspect of being able to utilize DNA, this is something that is going to probably at least get her identified,” Detective Filter said.

"So, we've been able to isolate at least a geographical area that she was likely from, but because of the limited number of profiles available for us to look at. It's very hard to build her family tree family to try to figure out who she might be,” Detective Filter said......

You know, I wonder how smart the marketing people from some of the familial DNA companies really are - if they offered a really targeted marketing compaign such as via FB, and offered a discount or some other incentive to residents of Chilton County, Alabama, I'm sure they would immediately get a much bigger range of kits to compare against. Maybe do some onsite sample collection so that people could save time/money on mailing? Suits lazy people like me who are curious but not terribly motivated by testing! Maybe LE could trade off some good publicity for the company once the UID is identified...

You know, I wonder how smart the marketing people from some of the familial DNA companies really are - if they offered a really targeted marketing compaign such as via FB, and offered a discount or some other incentive to residents of Chilton County, Alabama, I'm sure they would immediately get a much bigger range of kits to compare against. Maybe do some onsite sample collection so that people could save time/money on mailing? Suits lazy people like me who are curious but not terribly motivated by testing! Maybe LE could trade off some good publicity for the company once the UID is identified...
I’m pretty sure most familial DNA places throw all their resources into the work, I doubt they have marketing people.

Bump. Such good news about them narrowing down where she's from!

I also always thought she looked way younger than the age range - early 40s at most, nowhere near 55 imo.

There are still only 6 exclusions listed:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP6948Cary Huie
Date of Last ContactJanuary 20, 1998
StateDE
CountyNew Castle

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP13006Janis Bullock
Date of Last ContactMay 28, 1977
StateMS
CountyPearl River

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP35771Patrice Corley
Date of Last ContactDecember 04, 1989
StateKY
CountyJefferson

Missing Person / NamUs #MP16945Colleen Voitik McHugh (No Photo)
Date of Last ContactApril 17, 1994
StateIL
CountyWill

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4441Sara Bushland
Date of Last ContactApril 03, 1996
StateWI
CountyWashburn

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP3059Elizabeth Rogers
Date of Last ContactMarch 18, 1983
StateNC
CountyWake

I know she’s a rule out, however Cary Sue Huie May have been in the company of a black male and also she was originally from Alabama. The height and weight matched. I wonder what they excluded her based on. Cary Sue’s daughter provided DNA to use as a match.

I was convinced of Cary Sue Huie as well.
Time, description, & especially pic seemed spot on. The astrology necklace could have been of a loved one. Im 60 & wear some of my daughters old tweety sweatshirts. I also wondered how she was ruled out.

I know she’s a rule out, however Cary Sue Huie May have been in the company of a black male and also she was originally from Alabama. The height and weight matched. I wonder what they excluded her based on. Cary Sue’s daughter provided DNA to use as a match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back