Identified! TN - Pleasant View, I-24 b/w MM 29 & 30, WhtFem 31-40, UP1578, palm tree hat, clothes, Mar'85 - Michelle Lavone Inman

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok Universal Industries had their production center in New Bedford, MA and produced for the entire country. They opened in 1981 and appear to have closed by 1988. They rebranded their hats in April 1, 1985 to say "We Cover the World."

I also had a friend tell me the swoop at the bottom looked like a whale to him. Any thoughts?

I could totally see that being a whale. Along that line, if the factory for Universal Industries was in Mass, if maybe the hat said "Massachusetts" and that could explain the whale? Mass is reaaaally nautical LOL

About that hat I think it is a great possibility that it is this one right here but I can't seem to track down an exact location it was sold. I will keep digging though there has to be some way of finding out where it came from.

agexx-v5fg2.jpg

Does anyone think that she could be one of these missing girls and women? I know the ages are off, but we have had inaccurate autopsies on skeletons before.

June 8 2023
''The TBI identified 14 cases total that were eligible for the initiative that started in 2022. The Tennessee General Assembly approved a one-time funding of $100,000 to fund the initiative, which the TBI said is specifically being used to identify skeletal remains of victims in cold cases through forensic genetic genealogy testing. Remains from 10 of those individuals have been submitted to Othram Inc., a private lab based in Woodlands, Texas to conduct DNA extraction and sequencing.''

Cheatham County – 1985​

On April 2, 1985, a woman was found in Cheatham County, the TBI said. It is estimated she was around 30 to 40 years old.

NamUs said that when she was found beside the westbound lanes of I-24 between mile markers 29 and 30, in Pleasant View, Tennessee, she had likely been dead for around 2 months. Her body was not recognizable, but she had red or auburn hair and was estimated to be 5’1″. Near the woman’s body, investigators found a hat with a palm tree, a light pink shirt with pink flowers, a pink sweater with small blue sports, pants, and a black bra.

1578_63662-shirt-with-flowers.jpg
(NamUs)
1578_63662-pink-sweater-with-blue-spots.jpg
(NamUs)
1578_6366.jpg
(NamUs)

1689954327637.png
''Michelle Lavone Inman. Inman was from Nashville and she was born April 17, 1961. She was only 24 at the time of her murder.''

''In March 1985, skeletal remains were discovered near a creek bank by a motorist who was having vehicle trouble along Interstate 24 West between mile markers 29 and 30 in Cheatham County, Tennessee. Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) agents began investigating the woman’s death alongside the Cheatham County Sheriff’s Office. Forensic anthropologists at the University of Tennessee determined that the skeletal remains were those of a white female. According to the University of Tennessee Anthropology Department, the woman was estimated to have been deceased for two to five months prior to the discovery of her remains. After exhausting all leads, investigators could not determine the victim’s identity, and she became known as "Cheatham County Jane Doe."

In April 2018, the University of Tennessee Forensic Anthropology Center submitted a sample of the woman's remains to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification (UNTCHI). A DNA profile was developed and entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) and the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) in hopes that the woman would eventually be identified. Despite these efforts, the woman’s identity remained a mystery. The case was entered into NamUs as UP1578.

In December 2022, as part of the TBI Unidentified Human Remains DNA Initiative, TBI submitted highly degraded skeletal remains to Othram’s laboratory in The Woodlands, Texas in hopes of identifying the woman. Othram developed a suitable DNA extract and then used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown woman. Once a profile was built, Othram's in-house genetic genealogy team used forensic genetic genealogy to provide TBI agents with investigative leads.

A TBI intelligence analyst used that information to locate the woman's potential relatives living in Virginia. Agents contacted a Virginia man who confirmed that he had a sister whom he had not heard from in more than four decades. Agents obtained a reference DNA sample from the man to be compared against the victim's DNA profile. The reference sample was returned to Othram for additional DNA testing and for comparison to the unknown woman's DNA profile. This testing confirmed a sibling relationship between the man and Cheatham County Jane Doe, subsequently confirming the identity of the woman as Michelle Lavone Inman. Inman was from Nashville and she was born April 17, 1961. She was only 24 at the time of her murder.

TBI special agents are now hoping the public can help provide information that may help solve her murder. If you have information about this homicide, specifically any knowledge about individuals Michelle Inman may have been with before her death, or recognize any of the clothing from the scene shown in this article, please call 1-800-TBI-FIND.''

Samples of Jane Doe's remains were sent to a forensic anthropology center at UT about five years ago and a DNA profile was developed. In December, agents with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) sent a sample of the remains to a private lab in Texas for forensic genetic genealogical DNA testing.

That's when scientists uncovered possible relatives connected to Jane Doe.

"A TBI intelligence analyst used that information to locate potential family members in Virginia," the agency wrote.

"Agents made contact with a family member and confirmed that he had a sister he had not heard from in more than four decades. Agents obtained a DNA standard from the man to be compared against the victim's DNA utilizing forensic genetic genealogy."

She has positively been identified as Michelle Lavone Inman, of Nashville. It's believed she was 23 years old when she died.

rbbm.
''Thanks to the DNA profile developed, Othram, Inc. scientists were able to provide information about possible relatives connected to the woman. A TBI intelligence analyst used that information to locate potential family members in Virginia. Agents made contact with a family member and confirmed that he had a sister he had not heard from in more than four decades. Agents obtained a DNA standard from the man to be compared against the victim’s DNA utilizing forensic genetic genealogy.

That connection led to the positive identification Inman.

Now that the mystery of the woman’s identity is solved, TBI agents are now hoping the public can help provide information that may help solver her murder.

Anyone with information about this homicide, specifically any knowledge about individuals Michelle Inman may have been with before her death, or recognize any of the clothing from the scene, is encouraged to call 1-800-TBI-FIND.''

Her Find a Grave page says, that according to someone's research her and a boyfriend who had been in jail.."
18 December 1984 in Nashville, they were both charged in with extortion and obstruction of justice against Dennis P. Lira (who died in 1986).

On 31 March 1985, Michelle's skeletal remains were found near a creek bank by a motorist having car trouble along Interstate 24 West, between mile"..

I wonder if this had anything to do with her death? The dates are very close.

Her Find a Grave page says, that according to someone's research her and a boyfriend who had been in jail.."
18 December 1984 in Nashville, they were both charged in with extortion and obstruction of justice against Dennis P. Lira (who died in 1986).

On 31 March 1985, Michelle's skeletal remains were found near a creek bank by a motorist having car trouble along Interstate 24 West, between mile"..

I wonder if this had anything to do with her death? The dates are very close.
I've wondered that too. I'm assuming she had to appear in court to have her case disposed, and that is showing the date of January 29, 1985, coincidentally the same day Dennis Lira (the victim in the extortion case) also had some of his legal matters disposed. But maybe they were just dropped and they didn't appear? Dennis Lira was arrested for fraud and false statements two days before his own death and all his other criminal charges (there were plenty) being abated by death. Which I think is very curious, maybe Michelle was going to go cooperate with the state? Maybe Lira too? No witnesses makes it hard to prosecute, and it appears there wasn't any movement on the boyfriend's legal matters until 1993. It appears the boyfriend also has an extensive criminal record including assault and according to a criminal appeal of a person with the same name and details, but in another part of the state, also punched through his wall into a neighbor's apartment and allegedly held a knife on them while he was trying to evade the police.

Her ex-husband, the one who tried to blow up the dam... It appears that he has charges for theft and other charges in 1985, so I find it hard to believe he actually served the 40 years he was sentenced for his part in the dam, so he might've been around. It is interesting because Michelle was also arrested around the time he was arrested for the bomb plot, but it was for possessing chemicals I believe to to make meth. I watched a YouTube video on the dam plot and Michelle's sister cooperated with the state and testified to hearing the men talk of the plot and seeing them read the anarchist bible around the kitchen table. Maybe there's bad blood? Her ex-husband did testify that his wife made his life terrible and he made hers that way as well, when he was asked about a not liking a co defendant because the co defendant was nice to his wife.

I used the Davison county case look up when finding all their info. I'm sure I can find the other links to that were from old newspaper articles. Otherwise, I'm just drawing from memory. I actually want to compile it all because I was surprised with all the information out there and your comment reminded me to do so.

This case was already very interesting, but a whole new layer has been peeled back and I hope investigators are figuring out what happened to her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capturedlive
Back