Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The parents of missing college student Riley Strain are asking the Cajun Navy — which usually helps out in natural disasters — for help finding their son in Nashville.

What is the Cajun Navy and what is it doing to help?​

The Cajun Navy formed after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans in 2005.

"We just had a bunch of good ol' boys with boats who wanted to rescue people," said David Flagg, national director of operations for the United Cajun Navy. "Fast forward to today, our organization has went to every natural disaster in this country. To touch on the reason we are here, we were contacted by Riley's family and asked to step up and provide resources with this search activity. We have been involved since the first day we heard about it."

The Cajun Navy said it will conduct a ground search as it gets its boats into Nashville to search the waterways.

For those wanting to volunteer, you can contact info@unitedcajunnavy.org.

https://t.co/djdB2DQtFP
Posted: 9:36 a.m. EDT Mar 20, 2024

After the presser yesterday, the MSM outlets are publishing misleading articles that make it seem as though the family has just now asked for the United Cajun Navy's help, but they've been a part of this for literally over a week, y'all. (Receipts below.)

As a someone local to this, I can't help but be frustrated at the media's attempts at creating spin and drama around this case. Everyone seems so quick to admonish LE in Nashville but the truth is, they are doing all they can. No amount of searching will be enough for a family who is desperate to find their child -- nor should it be! The more hands on deck, the better. But I'm not sure what more people expect.

I've also seen folks on social media and here asking about "where is the sonar" and "where are the drones". "Why did the search take 5 days to start?" And, friends!, the search along the water started as early as the 11th, less than 2 days after the report was made. And the gadgets have been out there since the beginning. You just aren't hearing about it.

I will say civilians finding a piece of evidence before LE is pretty embarrassing, but also, it happens all the time, and has happened in so many other cases. And besides that, shouldn't we just be happy someone is looking? Can't it be a community effort? I'm PRESSED about it. Anyway, this is all MOO.

I do think it's important to question LE mechanisms. We've seen in plenty of other cases how ego and procedure and bias can get in the way of closing a case. Criticism of our systems is good, but I also haven't seen any in this scenario that has been specific or based in truth. So for anyone who has criticisms of the MNPD in this case, I would love to discuss (civilly and curiously!) more about it.

I'd also be more than happy to provide a detailed timeline of the organized search efforts if that would be useful.

edit to add: I would love for TBI to get involved in this, just to have more boots on the ground. Nashville has all kinds of crap going on daily on top of this massive, pressing case, and again, the more help people are willing to give, the better, IMO

And, receipts as promised --

MNPD on March 11 with a helicopter and on the ground.
View attachment 491734
Post about the Cajun Navy being asked to join the search on the 11th
View attachment 491735
Snipped by me: "... LE in Nashville ... are doing all they can. No amount of searching will be enough for a family who is desperate to find their child -- nor should it be! The more hands on deck, the better. ..."
Do others hear a logic flaw in this?
They're doing all they can; but, the more hands the better. "All they can" has not been enough! Nashville LE said they have the same resources as TBI so they didn't need to ask for help, but THE MORE THE BETTER!!!

Snipped by me: "... LE in Nashville ... are doing all they can. No amount of searching will be enough for a family who is desperate to find their child -- nor should it be! The more hands on deck, the better. ..."
They're doing all they can; but, the more hands the better. "All they can" has not been enough! Nashville LE said they have the same resources as TBI so they didn't need to ask for help, but THE MORE THE BETTER!!!
Would the TBI involve themselves in this case considering theres no evidence of foul play?

I meant the statement as really more of a yes,and than an either,or. YES, MNPD is doing all they can AND the more help the better. I feel both can be true. JMO.

The reality is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people are ejected from bars every year and they either make their way home or sleep it off somewhere. The Riley's of the world who go missing after getting kicked out of a bar is probably less than 1%. Stats could probably support what it would cost to introduce an ordnance that every drunk person be driven home, or back to their hotel. The costs would be astronomical. If bar patrons are okay with paying double for their drinks then it might get passed. I don't like the term 'nanny state' but that's what an ordnance would be in this case, IMO. Personal responsibility be damned.
There is a simple solution to this- teach kids to stick together no matter what.

The reality is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people are ejected from bars every year and they either make their way home or sleep it off somewhere. The Riley's of the world who go missing after getting kicked out of a bar is probably less than 1%. Stats could probably support what it would cost to introduce an ordnance that every drunk person be driven home, or back to their hotel. The costs would be astronomical. If bar patrons are okay with paying double for their drinks then it might get passed. I don't like the term 'nanny state' but that's what an ordnance would be in this case, IMO. Personal responsibility be damned.
I think extremely popular spots like those on the strip in Nashville will ask you to leave simply because you are not continuing to purchase anything.

Resources are limited to a degree, as they have to police an entire city and as far as TBI goes, the state. Yes, the more the merrier, but you have to take that into consideration. There are other police matters out there that require assistance as well. JMO

I really do believe LE is doing all they can. Usually TBI gets involved when foul play is suspected, a child is missing, or the person has a mental health issue or disability. As of now, none of these apply.

I can see a young, inebriated college kid maybe drunkenly hitting on a server or something. Maybe making a comment they shouldn’t. Had that stuff happen a lot back in the day when I was a waitress!!
A work colleague, not overly intoxicated, was asked to leave a Nashville Bar (Tootsie's) because the bartender overheard him say the other bartender "didn't have to be a b___h about it". They said they have a zero tolerance policy for patrons using profanity when speaking to/of staff.

Last edited:
I meant the statement as really more of a yes,and than an either,or. YES, MNPD is doing all they can AND the more help the better. I feel both can be true. JMO.
No issue with your statement, although we are LE-friendly, I was trying to point out Nashville LE's reluctance to ask for help and also apparently following normal missing persons procedures when time was of critical importance.

His shirt reminds me of the album cover for a Garth Brooks album back in the day. If I saw someone wearing it, it would stick out but if I didn't know it might belong to a missing person I wouldn't have taken a photo. I'd be able to confidently say I saw someone wearing a shirt just like it though
Not the same as what Riley was wearing, but I think this is the album you mean:

Free busses were cut from the budget for cost but also that congestion in the area made for poor performance.

[…]

Clelland said the Music City Circuit had to be cut.

"Those circuits in and of themselves to operate for free were about $4-million," Clelland said.

Free buses cut as part of WeGo Public Transit system restructuring

There are taxis to hail as they rove for such situations and for those who have given out on their way back to hotels/ rentals. As well as plenty of Uber and Lyft hanging out looking for riders.

On this You Tube in early evening, barely dark, of Broadway at about 6:19 starts the District and you can see what it is like already:

It is a very compact and walkable from the downtown hotels to the attractions, imo.

I know Adventures With Purpose looks for cars . . . are there any organizations that specialize in water searches?

Not sure what happened to AWP, but JL has his own thread here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*