Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to go more by the spirit of the law…. Every case is different, each person is different. And in this case, we have this sweet young man named Riley, that had the worst night of his life, at only 22 years old.
ETA: Not just the worst, but the END of his life.
To me it's not much different than the young adult driving 80mph in a 30 zone crashing. It's horrible, it's tragic, devastating and it shouldn't have happened, but it did and does.

They’d be liable if they allowed him to stay, but not for making him leave.

They did everything by the book, as far as we know, and even that family friend seems to concede that something went on and the bar made the decision based on whatever that was.

The city could always pass some sort of ordnance or put in place some sort of program where drunk people are taken home, but I don’t know what that would look like.

Especially when you’re talking about a mega bar where people are going to be forced to leave quite frequently.
Have y’all ever taken in the Tinseltown bar scene in the evenings? My gosh, Nashville would need to create an entire new industry of chaperones and shuttles! There are blocks and blocks of country music bars, and thousands of well-lubricated patrons.

I’m for personal responsibility (honestly people can have fun without getting totally blotto) and second best, go with reliable friends. MOO. MOO.

Last edited:
People should always control their drinking, know their limits. But they don't
22 year old frat boys don’t know how to control their drinking. Period.
Saw it, been there, done that. They’re all about, “how much can I drink”. My son had a frat brother die from alcohol poisoning, so I know.
He went into a coma and never came out. The pressure is enormous for these boys to drink huge amounts of liquor. Deadly amounts. These fraternities should be outlawed, IMO.

I'm fully aware of people that age making bad choices, I have adult children who have made some life changing ones. Maybe raising the drinking age would help...but I don't see that happening. There needs to be more emphasis on the dangers of alcohol, it's a strong drug. Many don't see it that way, it's legal and socially acceptable.
I agree.

It feels like the authorities are tip toe-ing around saying he’s in the water so as not to kill any hope the family still has. The phone dying but having power logically leads to it being in the water. They have said there is no evidence of foul play. Given other cases of inebriated young men near bodies of water, I don’t think there’s much chance anything else happened. Really sad.

doesn't that mean the phone's in the water?
It only means the phones not connecting with any cell towers…While the phone is turned on the cell tower closest is in contact with all the cell phones or wireless devices…Every so often the tower and your cell phone communicates with each other…{Cell Tower} Where are you…{Cell Phone} Here I am…If the cell phone is turned off ran out of power or was destroyed…It’s not able to be located…Only the last signal will ping the last location !

If you have been following this case and have been watching all of the videos released by police you will notice in the most recent video when the police officer spoke to him he was able to respond well enough to lead me to believe that he was somewhat coherent. I definitely think he was intoxicated but still had somewhat of an awareness.

It seems as if he was intending to go to his hotel ‘tempo by Hilton’ but may have been heading towards a building called ‘your tempo’, possibly confusing the two.

It looks as if the area he was in was a fairly steep slope to navigate through with trees, bushes & trash to get to the river- it would be a challenge even for someone sober to get to the water. If he had gone towards the river it would be safe to assume that he would likely fall and possibly make commotion on his descent towards the river. I’m not totally sold on this theory, based on the information provided to the public.

I think he willingly got in a vehicle with someone with intent to go to the hotel because he did realize he was lost.

Is it possible for police to get a tower dump warrant without reasonable proof that there is foul play involved?

** I’m also very well aware they have much more information that will understandably, not be shared with the public at this point. Which could be the reason they are bringing a team in to search the water a bit more extensively.
My impression from watching the press conference this afternoon is that it is Riley's parents who contacted the team to search the riverbanks and river, not LE. So I don't think this volunteer organization will necessarily know any more than the parents at this point.

Cajun Navy Relief?
Right… and it’s been said that body of water is full of debris. Trees, rocks, construction debris, and more. A body could be snagged on something. I do hope the Cajun Navy has sonar or divers. I think they’ve already sent divers down but the water looks so muddy it seems like it would be very difficult to find anything.
Edited
@JerseyWasHome2 Thx for mentioning this organization.

W a quick online search, I found a website for CNR & a few soc media
accounts.
From what I'm seeing, appears the group focuses more on providing "immediate rescue and relief during natural disasters" than on S & R for missing individuals, like Ryan S.
Just my impression, not a criticism.

I know some S & R groups have sonar & divers who may be be able to help. No names come to mind ATM, but hoping they may join the effort to find him. Some very brave, selfless souls venture out there.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for this. Just seems so strange and unlikely to go out of your way alone late at night and hop into some random river. Could see a group of intoxicated people doing this more than one lone individual, but clearly has happened before. Interesting, appreciate the article!
IMO - Being intoxicated distorts your thought processes, so it makes absolute sense that stupid decisions can be made whist drunk (Swimming & driving amongst them).

RSBM: You just blew my mind. That’s likely EXACTLY where Riley was headed—Your Tempo!! If you see on the map, it aligns perfectly with his direction of travel. He didn’t feel lost or concerned or “distressed”…he was following his phone’s directions directly to Your Tempo! Attached is a map showing Luke’s, the red arrow pointing towards his hotel, Tempo by Hilton, and the directions to get to Your Tempo, which he was not very far from when he disappeared. IMO.
I noticed something else. When entering "Tempo" in Google Maps, his hotel, Tempo by Hilton, shows up at the top of the search term list. YourTempo, the music software company, appears last. Could RS, in his state of mind, selected the last item thinking it was the first?
yourtempo.jpg

FWIW, Tempo by Hilton had been open less than a month. The street views (and satellite view) of it all show it under construction. Could this have affected the search results on that day? (i.e. a search ranking issue)

Second Tempo by Hilton hotel opens in Nashville

The property is part of Hilton’s expansion in the burgeoning lifestyle space.

Published Feb. 15, 2024

Dive Brief:

Welcome to WS. Insightful post!

I want to add that my Apple Watch senses if I have a fall. If I don’t react, it will contact 911 in 60 secs. — I have to respond on the watch. I’ve wondered when Riley took that spill why his watch didn’t make the EMS notification. (Answering my own question, perhaps Riley had the presence of mind to act, or maybe he had that feature turned off in his settings.)

So sad this Apple feature didn’t provide a safety net for him, for whatever reason. My heart is heavy. Prayers for him and those who love him.
I don’t know if the fall feature was enabled but I saw where his watch location services were turned off. I also saw where CD said according to the watch, a fall was not detected. Not sure if that means when it lost service or no falls detected at all- obviously he fell on the video by parking lot.

The broad categories I can think of in seemingly good deeds that might tip someone off that he was too intoxicated -- trying to give an employee something really excessive, like opening his wallet and pulling out too much uncounted cash, dropping bills, etc? Trying to help in a confrontation between an employee and another patron? Trying to do something helpful physically such as cleaning up a mess of some kind, like a spilled pitcher, or moving tables together, and being too uncoordinated?
Yes. Just doing any of that but while silly drunk. That would annoy any workers.

The narrative initially was the bar ejected him by himself, and wouldn’t let his friends go with him.

We learned later that a friend was right there, and for whatever reason, decided to let Riley walk home alone. If I was inclined to assign responsibility to anyone other Riley here, that’s where I’d start.

Friends look after friends, and bars look after their patrons and their own legal interests by removing unruly people who present a problem.

It likely happened multiple times that night at that very bar, and multiple times more at nearby bars.

In my not so limited experience, I never had an Uber called for me, and I wouldn’t have expected it.

My friends were always there though…
Of course his friend could have been just as wasted. Or maybe told him to wait so he could get the others and when he came back Riley was gone?

I don’t think his friends or the bar are to blame unless more info comes out. One causal factor is the college drinking culture in general. But they were probably all in that headspace. A tragic occurrence like this highlights the need for a paradigm shift. Really emphasizing that drinking to the point of blacking out is crazy dangerous because if something goes wrong where you need to be able to problem solve you’re just done for. And you can’t guarantee that someone less drunk will be there to help you. All JMO.
Yes. I agree.

But it does sound a bit harsh. People, especially very young people at his age, make mistakes all the time. At the age of 22 , his brain wasn’t even fully developed. Google it. It’s at the ages 25-26 years old before they’re fully developed. Not to mention, they could called an Uber. That would have been a simple fix. No missing person. This whole think is ridiculous, it should have never happened.
So maybe drinking age should change to 25? But if that’s the case, they can’t be required to serve in the armed forces until 25 either.
If it’s one it’s the other. Yet they want to send 18 y/o into the battlefield.
Why? Because……. We know why.
Yes, young people do make mistakes because their brains aren't fully developed, but that doesn't default responsibility for the mistakes to random bar employees.
How would a bar get an Uber for a customer? Are you suggesting that they should take a drunk customer's phone, go into their personal Uber app, and then okay a charge to the customer's credit card? That is not practical, and probably not even legal. If Reilly wanted an Uber, he could have ordered one. He was able to speak to the officer coherently enough, so he could have asked someone for help using the Uber app, if he needed help. With Reilly being intoxicated, having an Uber wouldn't necessarily have kept him out of trouble. He didn't have his room key, so he still could have ended up wandering down to the water after being dropped off from an Uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns