Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it ever shared how far down the river he was found, I had previously posted the question in the previous thread about if he fell in how far down would he be.

does it appear that where the found the credit card is where he fell in?

Wonder why he didn't get a cab or uber or something that could take him back to hotel.
He seemed to assume he could get there by himself walking, and obviously was headed to a different place with the same name, that was in the opposite direction. Just a horrible bad luck situation, that the worst had to happen to him.

But she was only reporting what they had been told by a witness. News reports are only as accurate as the source.
That's not really what she was doing at least not in this case. AB did interview a homeless community advocate who described what he had been able to find out about a shirt like Riley's someone claimed to have seen a homeless individual wearing. AB said the man's story about where he found the shirt didn't make sense based on Riley's known locations. (Suggesting perhaps it wasn't Riley's but that didn't seem to be the point being made to me) And during the interview piece she kept calling the shirt "Riley's shirt with his vomit on it" when no one knew if it was Riley's shirt (sounds like it wasn't) and no one knew for sure it had vomit on it, much less Riley's vomit. The advocate, Salisbury, never described it that way. He simply told the story he was told about a shirt found on a railing near Fort Nashborough with some vomit on it.

Tape entitled "Shirt thought to be Riley Strain's had vomit on it"

In a later write-up on NewsNation, AB claimed the advocate, Salisbury, said the homeless individual's story didn't add up!! But she's the one who made that claim.

In the Idaho multiple murder case involving students, AB seemed to "put words in the mouth" of a grieving parent. And to push her to say certain things about her legal experiences with a public defender.

IMO Banfield creates stories. What she's doing is not reporting and it has gotten worse. I'm not sure though she's supposed to be a reporter vs an "entertainer."
MOO

Just wanted to say thank you, @GatorFL, for this. As one who questioned sliding/tumbling down that section of the riverbank, this gave me all the explanation I needed, in a kind, respectful way. Much appreciated. (I'm not sure I was the "she" being discussed, but I did have that question myself; NOT if someone could accidentally fall into a river, but how it might have occurred in that particular spot with that particular terrain.)

Goodbye, Riley. Stay close to your parents, if you can, so they'll feel your strength when they need it most.
I was describing a report of the section of riverbank being well treed and full of brush. This is where the debit card was found. I don't think he tumbled in there since it was confirmed he was north of there. The part near the bridge was much less treed and more likely he went in there.

Since the "was he roofied" discussion has been raised again, I wanted to learn more about the toxicology process, esp. post-drowning. Seems as if the post-mortem toxicology process needs to be done by someone very skilled as adjustments need to be made for a variety of factors- in particular, the post-mortem decomposition process during which the body produces alcohol. They will have to screen for Rohypnol in particular as it's not usually part of the regular autopsy panel. We will need to wait and see- though it's likely there will never truly be answers given the two weeks that have passed since he went into the river. If you are interested in reading more about it, I learned a lot here: Role of postmortem toxicology in drowning investigations There are no pictures in this article, FYI.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
I think colleges should put out PSAs ahead of Spring Break reminding students to be safe and responsible, while highlighting some of these young people who met tragic ends.
But at the end of the day, it is a part of personal responsibility. We can model and hold high expectations for our loved ones, hoping they do their best.
RIP Riley. Hopefully none of his peers are drinking tonight as a response to his body being found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just able to get on WS and the first thing I see is “found deceased”. We all knew it, but dammit (sorry) this one hit me hard!..Bittersweet as the family can now grieve and maybe find a little solace, if any.

Was it ever shared how far down the river he was found, I had previously posted the question in the previous thread about if he fell in how far down would he be.

does it appear that where the found the credit card is where he fell in?
It was in West Nashville, near Sylvan Park (which is where my daughter lives).
I think they said it was 7 miles, farther distance along the river's route.

This is where the debit card was found. I don't think he tumbled in there since it was confirmed he was north of there. The part near the bridge was much less treed and more likely he went in there.
Bodies, like other objects, are normally carried downstream by the currents. The exception is if there's something the body gets snagged on at the bottom. There's more I could say, but will refrain.

JMO

I'm so far behind but wanted to talk about the credit card a bit. IIRC it was found in the area his phone last pinged, right? I have a horrible habit of putting my credit card in my back pocket, then putting my phone in the same pocket. I can't even tell you how many times I've pulled out my phone and not realized my credit card came out too and dropped on the ground.

And no i'll probably never learn my lesson

ADMIN NOTE:

Posts have been removed. "Empathy" is not the topic of this discussion.

Please stay on topic by discussing the case itself, not other members and how they may or may not feel.

Thank you.

I am glad that he was at least found and this didn't drag on longer for the family. Of course it wasn't the news they wanted, but at least he was found.
Yes, especially since there are drowned persons who are never found. Imagine if this were the case with Riley; the family might forever wonder what happened, or even if he might still somehow be alive somewhere.

There was a case I watched on Forensic Files once about a college age girl who lived at home, and had disappeared. The mother had all sorts of theories as to why she believed her daughter was still alive, out there somewhere.

Then many years later, her skeletal remains were found. Forensic investigation showed that she had been deceased from the very first night she’d disappeared. It’s awful what people go through— sometimes forever.

healthy mock tails anyone? feel bad for his parents. only consolation is that if you go out in your prime, you miss the gradual deterioration and possible indignities of old age

My opinion only….my parents are in their early 90s and old age is the worst.

But IMO, 22 is just skirting the edge of entering your prime. Riley could have conceivably lived another 50 years before the dramatic declines of true old age.

Alcohol took that away from him.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads