GUILTY TN - Six elementary students killed in Chattanooga school bus crash, 21 Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe, but why speed and drive really recklessly with a bus full of little children? It makes no sense.
I think there are some drivers who want to appear really "cool" to the kids. I remember one bus driver when I was in HS who was driving fast until a boy at the back of the bus yelled, "slow down, buzzard lips!" The driver immediately slowed down. I guess he realized no one was impressed. I was once horrified while riding on a bus on a college campus. The driver was a young man, likely a college student, who was driving fast and furious while talking to a young woman seated at the front. My feeling was that he was trying to impress her. As someone else said, this bus driver may have been "joking" around when he asked the kids if they were ready to die. Sadly, some bus drivers can be very immature and not seriously think about the consequences of their actions. This driver, I hope, will have a long time to sit in a prison cell thinking about his actions.

Holy everything I really hope this wasn't purposeful! What the actual freak? That's awful!

On the seatbelt issue, I taught preschool for years and we had 5 point harnesses on every single child. Did it take time? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes. Was it annoying and back breaking bending over to buckle all those wiggly worms? Yep.

I was tiny when I was a kindergartener and rode the bus to school. If he went over big bumps sometimes my head would hit the ceiling of the bus and it scared me half to pieces. I don't care how padded the seats are the ceiling isn't.

Eta: I keep thinking about Otto from the Simpsons.

You just reminded me of riding the bus over bumps. I only had to ride the bus in middle school (oh, joy of joys, riding the bus in middle school). I recall there was street full of potholes or dips in the road - and the boys would yell for the driver to hit them fast so everyone would be jerked up out of their seats and hit the ceiling. Only the "cool" drivers would do that. What an insane atmosphere.

Parents are beginning to ID children who died in the crash. Here is one that was posted on twitter (I didn't see a name):

Cx4XaxFXcAEh3aq.jpg

Condolences to the family of this beautiful child. :rose:

http://wreg.com/2016/11/22/first-victim-of-deadly-chattanooga-school-bus-crash-identified/

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Family members have identified the first of the five children killed in a Chattanooga school bus crash.

WREG's Michael Quander confirmed one of the victims is 10-year-old Zyanna Harris.

Zyanna's stepfather confirmed her identity and talked with Michael about what happened and shared more about the little girl.

More at link with video.

Parents are beginning to ID children who died in the crash. Here is one that was posted on twitter (I didn't see a name):

Cx4XaxFXcAEh3aq.jpg

Awww. This is heartbreaking to see her gorgeous smiling face. Her parents must be absolutely devastated. :rose;

From an article mentioning what one of the parents said!

are y'all ready to die?

Even if that statement may not be true, his bail set at $107,000 is way too low. I say no bail or at least 1 million.

“My daughter said, right before the bus flipped, that he was speeding around the curb, and asked them, ‘are y’all ready to die?’” a mom, who had three children on the bus, told CBS News Radio. One of her three kids died in the wreck.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tenn-bus-driver-speed-limit-crash-article-1.2883285

Just found this thread. I have no words, just pure :anguish:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thud: :thud: :thud:

Me too Katy, me too.:(

They sure arrested him fast and maybe that is why the DA has said further charges could be added.

If he was trying to scare them all by speeding and driving recklessly then he should be charged with more than vehicular homicides. How mean of him to taunt these little children beforehand by asking if they were ready to die and now 5-6 children ARE dead with more in critical condition.:(

IMO

Cx4XaxFXcAEh3aq.jpg

This is ripping my heart apart. Such a beautiful child with such a sweet smile.

All of the parents, families, friends, schoolmates and community have to be so devastated beyond comprehension.:(

If he was purposefully driving recklessly and speeding he intentionally caused the horrific accident to happen by doing so.

If he was purposefully driving recklessly and speeding he intentionally caused the horrific accident to happen by doing so.

There is no doubt he was speeding, short of having a heart attack and foot stuck to accelerator, it was intentional. There is no way that a bus could have the damage that it did at 30 mph, I estimate it to be above 60......65-70

Curious if there were any documented complaints against his driving before this incident ?

And was he involved in any other accidents whilst driving the school bus ?

I don't blame any parents/relatives who are outraged.

It's always so moving to see that after tragedies. People want to DO something positive and helpful. This is one way to do it. It might not help the victims directly, but it is people pulling together to say "we care."

My condolences to the families and to the school community.

From an article mentioning what one of the parents said!

are y'all ready to die?

Even if that statement may not be true, his bail set at $107,000 is way too low. I say no bail or at least 1 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tenn-bus-driver-speed-limit-crash-article-1.2883285

We just heard this on a Jacksonville, Fl radio station also. If true, I guess that's why he was arrested immediately. Surely sounds like possible terrorism? My heart hurts.

DH drove a school bus for several years after he retired. It is very hard to get good drivers. Pay is minimum wage, with no benefits ~ at least it was in a suburb in Minnesota.

He tells me that a roll-over is the most dangerous accident in a school bus. Busses are high off the ground so a vehicle can hit them, and do minimal damage to the bus.

The company he worked for did not have seat belts. The reasoning was kids would use them to whack each other.

The company he worked for did not have seat belts. The reasoning was kids would use them to whack each other.

Directed at bus companies and not at poster I quoted.
I doubt too many bus companies are thinking children would play whack each other, it is all about the $ it would cost to retrofit them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back