TN TN - Teresa 'Trenny' Lynn Gibson, 16, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 8 Oct 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How about this.

She felt the need to go to the washroom. Because of this, she wanted to be isolated from the group for a short time. She went off trail to relieve herself. She wanted to make sure she was well hidden to avoid the extreme embarrassment of being seen by her classmates while she peed. Some kind of slip or fall or animal attack, perhaps down a steep edge, occurred that was fatal. Her effort to hide herself prior to this mishap made her screams inaudible by anyone nearby and it also made her hard to find when the search got underway. Add in the falling leaves of October and animal activity and we've got a missing person in a tough hiding spot.

Probable - that's what happened to Geraldine Largay, who went hiking on the Appalachian Trail when she went missing. She had to answer the call of nature, went well off the trail, but for some reason could not find her way back to the trail.

I realize it helps to look around to see where exactly you came in off the trail (sticks and rocks can be used as direction markers; something I learned back in Girl Scouts many years ago). In Trenny's case, given the location of the trail and where her classmates were hiking, I would not rule out an accidental slip or fall over a steep edge.

It’s odd then how the tracking dogs (3 sets plus dogs belonging to her uncles) all traced Trenny to Collins Gap, to the side of a road - if she was attacked by an animal or slipped and fell after answering nature’s call - why would she be at Collins Gap? Also, more cigarette butts of the same brand were found at this spot, just like where butts were found close to where she went off trail.

Trenny Lynn Gibson
  • gibson_trenny.jpg
  • gibson_trenny2.jpg
Trenny, circa 1976
  • Missing Since 10/08/1976
  • Missing From Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/17/1960 (59)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue blouse, a blue and white striped sweater, a borrowed brown plaid heavy jacket, blue jeans, blue Adidas shoes and a diamond and star sapphire ring.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Trenny accompanied 40 of her classmates from Knoxville, Tennessee on a field trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park on October 8, 1976. The students were hiking to Andrews Bald on the trip and separated into small groups when they arrived at the trails.

Trenny apparently hiked with several different sections of her classmates at different paces during the day. She was last seen at approximately 3:00 p.m. near Clingman's Dome, walking on a moderately steep trail with sharp drop-offs and dense undergrowth on both sides.

Extensive searches of the park continued until the end of October 1976, but Trenny has never been located. She was a sophomore at Bearden High School at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Tennessee Bureau Of Investigation 615-744-4000
Source Information

It’s odd then how the tracking dogs (3 sets plus dogs belonging to her uncles) all traced Trenny to Collins Gap, to the side of a road - if she was attacked by an animal or slipped and fell after answering nature’s call - why would she be at Collins Gap? Also, more cigarette butts of the same brand were found at this spot, just like where butts were found close to where she went off trail.

Do we know how far Collins Gap is from where she was last seen?

It’s so easy to get turned around in the woods. I could definitely see her getting turned around and walking in the wrong direction.
Yes, it happens. But the dogs should have found her if she was in the woods, picking up her scent like they did. Her trail ended at the side of a paved road, showing that it was likely she left by vehicle.

Yes, it happens. But the dogs should have found her if she was in the woods, picking up her scent like they did. Her trail ended at the side of a paved road, showing that it was likely she left by vehicle.

Good point.

No way this could have been a planned abduction due to the circumstances of the field trip. What are the chances a random abductor was in the Smokies looking for a victim? I just can’t see it. Crime of opportunity? More likely, but still seems so unlikely. I believe the dogs are wrong and she is somewhere in the woods still waiting to be found.

"the dogs should have found her if she was in the woods"

You are putting dogs on too high of a pedestal here. Dogs can help but they aren't going to be 100% effective by any stretch. They used dogs in the Devin Bond case and didn't find him after picking up his trail when he originally went missing. Then just last week, more than two years after he was last seen, he was found not far from his last-known location. They wonder if the dog had the wrong scent originally -- and therein is the problem when it comes to working with animals: they can't talk and we're essentially trying to make inferences about what they are thinking. We aren't going to make those inferences with complete accuracy by any stretch.

An abduction is hard to accept under the case's circumstances in my opinion. Way too risky to take an adolescent that could scream to nearby people, of which there were lots. Clubbing her and dragging her through the forest to a vehicle sounds incredibly difficult given the terrain. Also, Trenny wasn't a five-year old that could be lured quietly with a lollipop.

If she left voluntarily as part of a pre-made plan then there's a question as to why she would do that and why she never turned back up in all these years. Pretty cruel to keep people that loved you out of the loop. Maybe she voluntarily left and then died in another way? You could imagine some scenarios like that for sure but I think those are fanciful. Voluntarily disappearing for a reason no one knows and never-ever showing up again is a big stretcher compared to her just being missing in that forest still -- a forest that's gobbled up a lot of people over the years.

Good point.

No way this could have been a planned abduction due to the circumstances of the field trip. What are the chances a random abductor was in the Smokies looking for a victim? I just can’t see it. Crime of opportunity? More likely, but still seems so unlikely. I believe the dogs are wrong and she is somewhere in the woods still waiting to be found.
"the dogs should have found her if she was in the woods"

You are putting dogs on too high of a pedestal here. Dogs can help but they aren't going to be 100% effective by any stretch. They used dogs in the Devin Bond case and didn't find him after picking up his trail when he originally went missing. Then just last week, more than two years after he was last seen, he was found not far from his last-known location. They wonder if the dog had the wrong scent originally -- and therein is the problem when it comes to working with animals: they can't talk and we're essentially trying to make inferences about what they are thinking. We aren't going to make those inferences with complete accuracy by any stretch.

An abduction is hard to accept under the case's circumstances in my opinion. Way too risky to take an adolescent that could scream to nearby people, of which there were lots. Clubbing her and dragging her through the forest to a vehicle sounds incredibly difficult given the terrain. Also, Trenny wasn't a five-year old that could be lured quietly with a lollipop.

If she left voluntarily as part of a pre-made plan then there's a question as to why she would do that and why she never turned back up in all these years. Pretty cruel to keep people that loved you out of the loop. Maybe she voluntarily left and then died in another way? You could imagine some scenarios like that for sure but I think those are fanciful. Voluntarily disappearing for a reason no one knows and never-ever showing up again is a big stretcher compared to her just being missing in that forest still -- a forest that's gobbled up a lot of people over the years.

Normally I wouldn’t put that much weight on some tracking dogs. I’m only pointing out that 4 sets of totally different dogs hit on the same places.
Also, people being abducted are likely to scream, yes. But what if they know the person, and have nothing to fear to start with? Until said person, that they know, lures them far off the path and well away from the others. Trenny loved flowers as well as plants and animals. The old “ Hey, I want to show you this, “ may have worked, if Trenny was comfortable with the person. There were 40 kids on that trip, but on a Autumn weekday in wet, cold weather, the park was nearly deserted otherwise. It was also very foggy, and fog distorts sounds very well.

It’s folklore than the students knew nothing about the trip destination, some were aware of where they were going that day.

[QUOTE="Starbuck80, post: 15588548, member: 251872"
Snipped by me.
It’s folklore than the students knew nothing about the trip destination, some were aware of where they were going that day.[/QUOTE]

Wait a second...if the field trip wasn’t a surprise to everyone that makes me reconsider something planned and something sinister. Do you have a link for this or if it’s somewhere in the thread can you point me in the right direction?

[QUOTE="Starbuck80, post: 15588548, member: 251872"
Snipped by me.
It’s folklore than the students knew nothing about the trip destination, some were aware of where they were going that day.

Wait a second...if the field trip wasn’t a surprise to everyone that makes me reconsider something planned and something sinister. Do you have a link for this or if it’s somewhere in the thread can you point me in the right direction?[/QUOTE]

There were students who were office workers and could have found out about the trip’s destination that day. The teacher was also friendly with students outside of school, and may have told them where they would be going that day.
In interviews with some of Trenny’s classmates, a few of them seemed to remember that they knew the field trip’s destination ahead of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24
Back