TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did you read to the end? I said exactly what you are saying now. I was not providing an excuse for their actions, far from it, they were, as I said, clearly negligent by not checking on him immediately.

I was suggesting alternative psychological explanation to the one where 20 odd people all decide they're going to let a mortally injured man die by inches while they crack jokes into a camera. If they knew their behaviour makes no sense, even stone cold racist psychopaths don't want to loose their jobs and go to prison.

And I said he was not bleeding out, not that he didn't have blood on him, imo his injuries looked bad, but it would not necessarily be immediately obvious he was critically injured. Especially if it's assumed he's incoherence is from drugs, not a extremely violent beating they did not witness and don't know the half of.

An explanation is not an excuse. Deciding all these people must be absolute monsters and looking no deeper means you fix nothing.

Well... Imagine the same EMTs being called into a house where a man is unresponsive and incoherent. What would they do? Get a name, age, history, check the pulse, blood pressure, look at pupils, try to elicit some response. Call in ambulance because the person is definitely in distress. They'd be around the patient, not just standing idly.

Why did they behave in such a way with Tyre?

Because otherwise, they'd have to register all that Tyre's mother mentioned. A broken neck. A wound in the forehead. Some other evidence of cranial trauma. They'd have to register the condition at the scene of the arrest.

They, too, were afraid of five strong thugs standing nearby. If the wounds were registered at the place of arrest, their signatures would verify that a grave damage was done. It TN survived, he could sue these five.

As it stands, all traumas are registered in the hospital. And go prove it didn't happen during CPR.

This is why the third EMT, a woman, stayed in the car. She, too, didn't want to be the witness.

It is fear.

And while we are at it, I hope the results of autopsy won't be sealed.

Why did they behave in such a way with Tyre?

Because otherwise, they'd have to register all that Tyre's mother mentioned. A broken neck. A wound in the forehead. Some other evidence of cranial trauma. They'd have to register the condition at the scene of the arrest.

They, too, were afraid of five strong thugs standing nearby. If the wounds were registered at the place of arrest, their signatures would verify that a grave damage was done. It TN survived, he could sue these five.

As it stands, all traumas are registered in the hospital. And go prove it didn't happen during CPR.

This is why the third EMT, a woman, stayed in the car. She, too, didn't want to be the witness.

It is fear.

It's horrifying to think that maybe the EMTs suspected he had serious injuries but delayed assessing him out of fear of retaliation. But I think it's possible you're right.

At the same time, the EMTs would have all known they weren't following the standard of care they're required to follow.

Yet they shouldn't have had to grapple with such a fear in the first place. They should have been able to all run to him and help without fear.

I do wonder if they all really wanted to but you're right that they felt afraid? Or were they just jaded and apathetic about their patients generally? I can't bring myself to watch any of the video.

I remember the same thing happening several years ago to Daniel Shaver in a motel who was given numerous conflicting commands which he was so confused about the SWAT team shot him dead.

These were some of the commands: put your hands on your head, put your hands in the air, lie on the ground, don't move, crawl forward, etc. A complete travesty of justice since the officer who shot him was acquitted and later reinstated into the Mesa Police Dept.
I am not familiar with the case you reference but that was a horrible miscarriage of justice. How awful that cop was reinstated after being acquitted!

And all those great police officers should be calling out these criminal cops instead of remaining silent. When it comes to the Blue Wall of Silence, every cop who remains silent on this type of behavior are condoning it in the public's eye.
Absolutely. I can’t speak for everyone, but when other police are silent about things like this it erodes my trust in the whole institution. MOO

They sprayed and sprayed. It looked like Tyre was trying to put his hands over his eyes, reflexive movement which I think they assumed was resistance to placing his hands behind his back for cuffs. So more beating resulted. MOO from watching the video.
I agree. It made me livid to watch it.

"Three EMTs who responded to the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols were fired Monday after an internal investigation, the Memphis Fire Department said Monday.

The three personnel were found to have violated multiple department policies and protocols.

'Their actions or inactions on the scene that night do not meet the expectations of the Memphis Fire Department and are not reflective of the outstanding service the men and women of the Memphis Fire Department provide daily in our community, it said."

"Three EMTs who responded to the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols were fired Monday after an internal investigation, the Memphis Fire Department said Monday.

The three personnel were found to have violated multiple department policies and protocols.

'Their actions or inactions on the scene that night do not meet the expectations of the Memphis Fire Department and are not reflective of the outstanding service the men and women of the Memphis Fire Department provide daily in our community, it said."

Firing of EMT's was the right decision by Memphis Fire Department. IMO. Did the EMTs feel intimated by the 5-Scorpion Unit -cops? Is that why they just stood around chatting?

Last edited:
I remember that. IIRC someone called the police claiming Shaver had a rifle, so they arrived ready to rumble.

Then, they played history's worst game of Simon Says, even though it was apparent he was too drunk to comply with their demands. :( I believe at one point one of the officers told Shaver that if he made a mistake they would kill him. While he was on his knees he suddenly moved his hand to his waistband, and they shot him.

I don't expect LEOs to just stand there while someone pulls a gun out of their pants and shoots them, but I do believe a job requirement is to have the steel nerves needed to stand firm until it's pretty certain a weapon is present. In Shaver's case, it looked like he was trying to pull up his pants, and the only firearm found in his room was a pellet gun.

I remember because I also thought the officer in that case was rightly prosecuted, and I'm still upset the jury didn't convict him of at least manslaughter.

I felt so sorry for that man. He only had sweat pants on and when he was ordered to crawl along the carpeted hallway with his hands in full view, he tried to comply crying all the time. His sweatpants started coming down because of the resistance of the carpeting and he instinctively put his hand down to pull them up and that was it. Like you, I was shocked at the acquittal and I couldn't figure how anyone who viewed that video, LE, prosecution, jurors saw his actions as threatening.

I know why no one "sees" anything or "says" anything. Whistle-blowers are not heralded as "people who saw something wrong and said something". Instead, 99.9% of the time, they are bullied, tormented, isolated and generally terminated for some byzantine reason.

It is unfortunately best to just focus on your own work, see nothing, say nothing. Or say something, and destroy your career, lose your friends, and in the end, it doesn't really matter.

Truth.
I get it too. Anyone ever heard of Serpico? When a cop calls for backup, they want somebody to show up. Rat on a bad cop, and good luck to you.

I felt so sorry for that man. He only had sweat pants on and when he was ordered to crawl along the carpeted hallway with his hands in full view, he tried to comply crying all the time. His sweatpants started coming down because of the resistance of the carpeting and he instinctively put his hand down to pull them up and that was it. Like you, I was shocked at the acquittal and I couldn't figure how anyone who viewed that video, LE, prosecution, jurors saw his actions as threatening.
The story and video of Shaver's death is one of the most disturbing and aggravating things I have seen.

CNN —
An initial police report from the hours after the Tyre Nichols traffic stop suggested Nichols was violent, made no mention of the officers punching and kicking him, and made claims contradicted by videos later released by police.

The report also describes one of the officers at the scene – who has since been charged with second-degree murder – as a “victim.”

I understand why the question "did they know him before?"

Usually, any traffic stop starts with the officer introducing himself. So, the question "do these cops always behave like hoodlums, or was there any prior connection between TN and them?"

Does anyone else here speculate that this was more than a traffic stop? Could it be possible (IMO) that this could have been retaliation and Tyre could have been targeted?

Nothing is adding up right from the lie these officers said about Tyre "driving recklessly". The evidence shows in the above link and many others that there was no reckless driving. Tyre was IMO attacked as soon as he pulled over and stopped the car, I have seen nothing that warranted that entire initial reaction from the officers.

<modsnip - discussing content not allowed>

Also has toxicology reports been released yet on Tyre as well as the officers?

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN —
An initial police report from the hours after the Tyre Nichols traffic stop suggested Nichols was violent, made no mention of the officers punching and kicking him, and made claims contradicted by videos later released by police.

The report also describes one of the officers at the scene – who has since been charged with second-degree murder – as a “victim.”

The officer that wrote that report “got some splainin” to do. IMO

CNN —

Sounds like without the video, nothing would have ever been done. It would have been written off as ‘Tyre didn’t comply, and we were forced to react’, and it would have just been swept under the rug. And these departments wonder why whole communities are afraid of them and lack trust?

2nd video at this link. Start at the 17:04 mark.

One of the officers bends over at the waist and appears to be holding his phone horizontally, pointing it at Tyre.

Gibbons blames MPD ‘hiring failure’ in Tyre Nichols death.

Over the past several years, Memphis’ police department and mayor have pushed to add hundreds of officers to the department’s ranks, offering signing bonuses and boosting salaries, and lowering college requirements to attract recruits.

“I think this is a hiring failure. This is an example of individuals being hired to be police officers who never should’ve been police officers. They don’t have the values, the character, necessary to be in that kind of position. And I think we need to be careful in terms of hiring the right kind of people to be police officers, not people who just want the power of the gun and badge, but people who want to be public servants.”

State Rep. Justin J. Pearson, who also appeared on WREG Tuesday, agreed that hiring may be part of the problem, and said he was working on legislation to prevent
officers with criminal records from transferring to another department.
Red emphasis mine.

Really ?

Now why would the MPD be hiring anyone to "Protect and Serve" who already have a criminal record ?

Imo.

2nd video at this link. Start at the 17:04 mark.

One of the officers bends over at the waist and appears to be holding his phone horizontally, pointing it at Tyre.

Gibbons blames MPD ‘hiring failure’ in Tyre Nichols death.

Over the past several years, Memphis’ police department and mayor have pushed to add hundreds of officers to the department’s ranks, offering signing bonuses and boosting salaries, and lowering college requirements to attract recruits.

“I think this is a hiring failure. This is an example of individuals being hired to be police officers who never should’ve been police officers. They don’t have the values, the character, necessary to be in that kind of position. And I think we need to be careful in terms of hiring the right kind of people to be police officers, not people who just want the power of the gun and badge, but people who want to be public servants.”

State Rep. Justin J. Pearson, who also appeared on WREG Tuesday, agreed that hiring may be part of the problem, and said he was working on legislation to prevent
officers with criminal records from transferring to another department.
Red emphasis mine.

Really ?

Now why would the MPD be hiring anyone to "Protect and Serve" who already have a criminal record ?

Imo.
I don't think it's unusual for officers to be fired from one precinct / jurisdiction for cause of some kind, only to be hired in another in full light of what happened. I don't like to think of the causes as criminal behaviors, but it wouldn't surprise me if many of them are.

I think it should be illegal for an LEO who has confessed to or been convicted of a crime to continue to work in LE. They need to be held accountable to higher standards than non-LE citizens.

Don't get me started on qualified immunity or civil asset forfeiture or questioning minors without a lawyer present...oh the list of things I think should be changed about the LE vs Citizens dynamic....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back