TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The more I read about this case, the more I realize how valuable body-worn cameras (BWC) are as long as they are turned on. LE brass should be adding more regulations regarding BWC; that they must turn on their cameras, no excuses. If they fail to follow that requirement after the initial warning they get dinged a day's pay. If they are repeat offenders then some other penalty is applied, a reduction in rank or dismissal.

After reading the fictionalized version of this traffic stop, it makes you realize how many civilians have probably been railroaded by corrupt police officers when there was no photographic evidence of the arrest. They don't even have to be corrupt, just lazy and enamored of their own importance in the community hierarchy. I don't believe in a lot cases it's a planned event; it just seems like the overarching theory is that some LE officers just lose their cool when an individual doesn't follow their commands to the letter.

I've read a lot of pros and cons regarding the wearing of BWCs. The cons have to do with the expense or the perception that the general public don't like the idea they are being filmed and that the images can be used further by police departments for facial recognition and storing of data of peripheral individuals during an arrest. However, when 92% of the general public overwhelmingly think BWCs are a positive both for the police and the citizenry then I think it's a no-brainer. Here's the link to that report.

Last edited:
^^ IMO, I dont necessarily think its preferential treatment, he wasnt at the murder scene and he is cooperating with the investigation. I see this much like a regular (for lack of a better term) crime and a lessor violator basically turns states evidence and tells all they know. MOO having someone tell the actual truth and any background intel of the situation can prove vital to a successful indictment. Im not saying Hemphill should get off scot-free but I think his full cooperation will be important for the prosecution moving forward in the case.

^^ Not me IMO, I think they will be charged, indited and be sent to prison

^^ <modsnip - no source link for info stated as fact> If the officer missed any of that during a pat down and have them detained in the back seat its actually kinda smart to wipe your prints off anything illegal you may have and get it off your person and stuff in the seat fold. Sure its not a guarantee you will get away with it but it certainly offers a chance and offers some speculation for a defense attorney at a trial.

^^ Well said, IMO Hemphill needs to be held responsible for his actions at the initial stop but not anything to do with the murder where he was not present. Hopefully he has some "Blue Brotherhood" intel that he will share on the 5 SCORPION officers either past or present.

Here is my thinking:

Without a badge and the job he had, he would have been charged. He aided and abetted this crime. He was there when he was pulled out of the vehicle. He tased him. Then, he encouraged the killers to stomp him. In no jurisdiction that I know of would a person who did this not been charged already-- cooperating or not. We know why--- he has a badge. The idea that because he didn't go to the place where Mr. Nichols was ultimately killed is neither here nor there, IMHO. He tased him, harmed him and help to set this murder in motion. We will see where it goes but even cooperating should not have made this man unknown (as the local police promised transparency) to the public with little known about his actions at this multiple crime scene murder. But, again, JMHO.

Here is my thinking:

Without a badge and the job he had, he would have been charged. He aided and abetted this crime. He was there when he was pulled out of the vehicle. He tased him. Then, he encouraged the killers to stomp him. In no jurisdiction that I know of would a person who did this not been charged already-- cooperating or not. We know why--- he has a badge. The idea that because he didn't go to the place where Mr. Nichols was ultimately killed is neither here nor there, IMHO. He tased him, harmed him and help to set this murder in motion. We will see where it goes but even cooperating should not have made this man unknown (as the local police promised transparency) to the public with little known about his actions at this multiple crime scene murder. But, again, JMHO.

Its established that Hemphill was not present on the second scene where the 5 officers beat and ultimately killed Tyre. In your opinion do you feel that Hemphill's actions on at the initial traffic stop should earn him the same Second Degree Murder charge that the other officers received?

That's what Im thinking from the highlighted portion of your post above...but Im not sure and do not want to put words in your mouth.

The last criminal who occupied the back seat who didn’t want to get charged with a gun offense.
Maybe, but that means the criminal was arrested, searched, gun wasn't found, and officer "didn't find" the weapon. Maybe it happens, but I am willing to bet when it does happen the officer isn't completely shocked to find a firearm.

My point is there are shady cops who will sell "confiscated" guns. If they lied on this police report (TN's arrest report) why would we assume this officer hasn't lied other times. I bet he knew that firearm was in his vehicle.

If LE miss a gun in the back seat ... holy cow.
It puts the next LE to drive that squad car in danger, if they have to transport a perp to jail.
Not rocket science.
M00.
Yeah, ignorance in this scenario is terrifying. I am still willing to bet it isn't ignorance.
Do we know if they "share" squad cars or if they have their own that they bring home. I know I have a lot of neighbors (I live in a large city) that are police officers and they seem to keep their own squad cars as they are usually parked in their driveways.

Yeah, ignorance in this scenario is terrifying. I am still willing to bet it isn't ignorance.
Do we know if they "share" squad cars or if they have their own that they bring home. I know I have a lot of neighbors (I live in a large city) that are police officers and they seem to keep their own squad cars as they are usually parked in their driveways.
JMO but this was a rather commonplace tactic used for several years in communities both good and bad. It had it's advantages frankly as people knew that there was LE within their communities and they felt safer as a result. I don't know of any officer now that wants to broadcast their residence as being a member of LE due to cases like this and the fear of retaliation against their innocent family members.

The more I read about this case, the more I realize how valuable body-worn cameras (BWC) are as long as they are turned on. LE brass should be adding more regulations regarding BWC; that they must turn on their cameras, no excuses. If they fail to follow that requirement after the initial warning they get dinged a day's pay. If they are repeat offenders then some other penalty is applied, a reduction in rank or dismissal.

After reading the fictionalized version of this traffic stop, it makes you realize how many civilians have probably been railroaded by corrupt police officers when there was no photographic evidence of the arrest. They don't even have to be corrupt, just lazy and enamored of their own importance in the community hierarchy. I don't believe in a lot cases it's a planned event; it just seems like the overarching theory is that some LE officers just lose their cool when an individual doesn't follow their commands to the letter.

I've read a lot of pros and cons regarding the wearing of BWCs. The cons have to do with the expense or the perception that the general public don't like the idea they are being filmed and that the images can be used further by police departments for facial recognition and storing of data of peripheral individuals during an arrest. However, when 92% of the general public overwhelmingly think BWCs are a positive both for the police and the citizenry then I think it's a no-brainer. Here's the link to that report.

I remember reading a science fiction book, where everyone in the world had a body camera inserted into their eye at birth. No one could lie any longer, because of the digital footprint they had for every action they ever did. Crime stopped.

I would have no problem having everything I do on camera.

JMO but this was a rather commonplace tactic used for several years in communities both good and bad. It had it's advantages frankly as people knew that there was LE within their communities and they felt safer as a result. I don't know of any officer now that wants to broadcast their residence as being a member of LE due to cases like this and the fear of retaliation against their innocent family members.
I live in a very left leaning city in a red state and see it all the time. My neighborhood has many squad cars.

I remember reading a science fiction book, where everyone in the world had a body camera inserted into their eye at birth. No one could lie any longer, because of the digital footprint they had for every action they ever did. Crime stopped.

I would have no problem having everything I do on camera.

Everything!? I know what you mean, though.

RowVaughn Wells, Tyre Nichols’ mother, thanked people for attending the funeral, as well as people around the world for supporting her and her family and continuing to fight for justice.

“Tyre was a beautiful person and for this to happen to him is just unimaginable," she said through tears during Nichols' funeral service.

She called for action, specifically for passage of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act.

"There should be no other child that should suffer the way my son and all the other parents here, have lost their children," she said. "We need to get that bill passed, because if we don't, that blood... that next child that dies, that blood is going to be on their hands."

Have to say, I predicted that they had been written up before. The Memphis PD is far more lenient than any place I have worked.
It would appear that maybe more heads need to roll ?
Aka, some firings and replacements ?
This is a damaging blot on their entire dept.
M00.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back