Found Deceased TN - Veronica Machen Casciato, 48, Claiborne County, 6 April 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello Websleuths. Thank you for the information about becoming a VI. I will consider it! I have recently learned that the hunter who saw people in a car and the hunter who identified Veronica's car later were different people. That bit of information cleared up some questions for me, so I thought I would share that with you.
To answer IMHO
1. No. No one who saw the car early on could remember the exact date they were at Eagle Gap.
2. Yes, that car did not belong to V.
3. Two different hunters, so makes more sense.
4. Not that I am aware of

Hi Everyone,

Friends of VC is now a verified insider in Veronica's case.

Please continue to treat Friends of VC with respect.

Remember Friends of VC does not need to provide links to her posts and it's up to you whether to believe what Friends of VC posts or not.

Thank you

Oh my, I had lost track of this case. Not much media attention that I can find. Hmmm... She has been missing 3 months today. :(

ETA: I did find that her 2 dogs and 3 cats have been re-homed or are being fostered.

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfVeronicaCasciato/

Oh my, I had lost track of this case. Not much media attention that I can find. Hmmm... She has been missing 3 months today. :(

ETA: I did find that her 2 dogs and 3 cats have been re-homed or are being fostered.

Media has been very quiet.

Attempting to make the friends of Veronica Casciato clickable

Media has been very quiet.

Attempting to make the friends of Veronica Casciato clickable

Thanks for the link!
Here's what I found there:
"There is a small update this evening. The TBI has organized a search of a steep/ravine type area at Eagle Gap that has not been previously searched. The search will take place next Tuesday, July 11th. We will update with any news or results as they are made available.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support!"

This is so sad. Hard to believe there have been such few leads! I live in East TN(though quite a ways north of Cosby) so am somewhat familiar with this area.

I don't feel like she is voluntarily missing given that she appeared to take school very seriously. I've always found that 30+yo's that go back to school to get a degree take it very seriously. I definitely did when I went back to finish my last two semesters of college at 30.

If someone abducted or harmed her and dumped her car there, how on earth did they get a ride back to their car/wherever they came from? I am leaning towards this being someone random(a hitchhiker possibly?) given the lack of clues and the fact that she didn't appear to have any shady stuff(affairs, drugs, etc.) going on from what has been shared.

Hoping Veronica is found or there is a breakthrough soon!!

Unidentified human remains discovered in Speedwell woods

http://www.wbir.com/article/news/lo...ered-in-speedwell-woods/51-496646606?scroll=0

Deputies said this is still a preliminary investigation and that it's unlikely the remains are related to any active missing persons investigations within the jurisdiction.

I don't understand how they can say that when the remains have not been identified - they can't even determine gender, race, or approximate age at this time.

I only posted this because Speedwell, where the remains were found, is only 16 miles from Harrogate, where Veronica was last seen, even though it is no where close to where her car was located. Hopefully there will be an ID soon.

Unidentified human remains discovered in Speedwell woods

http://www.wbir.com/article/news/lo...ered-in-speedwell-woods/51-496646606?scroll=0

Deputies said this is still a preliminary investigation and that it's unlikely the remains are related to any active missing persons investigations within the jurisdiction.

I don't understand how they can say that when the remains have not been identified - they can't even determine gender, race, or approximate age at this time.

I only posted this because Speedwell, where the remains were found, is only 16 miles from Harrogate, where Veronica was last seen, even though it is no where close to where her car was located. Hopefully there will be an ID soon.
Harrogate is in a different county, so a different jurisdiction from Campbell County. So, if LE says it is unlikely that the remains are related to any active missing persons investigations with the jurisdiction then they mean not related to any active missing case out of Campbell County. They would likely know who is actively missing out of their county.

At this point anyone missing for as long as Veronica has been missing would be just a skeleton. If there is anything more than that to the remains then it won't be her.

This case touches my heart and I’ve kept up with the sparse details since Veronica’s disappearance was reported on the local news.

I grew up around LMU and I lived in Tellico Plains for a short period of time as a young adult. I even used to frequently hike at Eagle Gap. My heart goes out to all of her loved ones.

Although it has frequently been stated that Veronica loves to venture off the beaten path, I don’t believe it makes much sense to go through Tellico Plains when going to from Harrogate, TN to Asheville, NC, especially since she had plans with her daughter. It is much further south than one would ever need to go, and there are plenty of scenic routes that would have made more sense.

As someone stated, the weather was hazardous that day. It was not a pop up storm. The Cherohala Skyway is steep. The roads are not salted or treated for wintry weather, and at that kind of elevation, it is extremely likely that the roads would have been adversely impacted. However, if she did decide to go that way, it’s possible that she was entirely unphased by the threat of bad weather as it seems she had always (or for a good portion of her life at the very least) lived in or around mountains.

The only thing that I can formulate is that she picked up a hitchhiker, especially given her seemingly very kind and free spirit. It isn’t uncommon to encounter hitchhikers, especially “road kids”. They usually have interesting aesthetics, occasionally have companion animals, and mental illness (be it addiction or other ailments - also I definitely don’t want to equate mental illnesses to being a bad person) run absolutely rampant in the subculture. I only mention this because I’ve met countless of them in the general area, and have had less than pleasant experiences with a few of them. It’s just an idea - it could have been an entirely different kind of hitchhiker or a different scenario altogether. It just seems as a kind hearted person, and as a mother, she might have been more likely to allow an obviously homeless kid into her vehicle.

Could it be possible that she was left somewhere else, and then someone ditched the car at Eagle Gap, then proceeded to bail? It would not add up for her abductor (assuming that this case is an abduction) to drop the car there and then leave with her. It more than likely would have been spontaneous and I normally don’t associate spontaneous crimes with seamless coordination.

I hope that Veronica can still come home safely, or that her family gets some closure at the very least.

This case touches my heart and I’ve kept up with the sparse details since Veronica’s disappearance was reported on the local news.

I grew up around LMU and I lived in Tellico Plains for a short period of time as a young adult. I even used to frequently hike at Eagle Gap. My heart goes out to all of her loved ones.

Although it has frequently been stated that Veronica loves to venture off the beaten path, I don’t believe it makes much sense to go through Tellico Plains when going to from Harrogate, TN to Asheville, NC, especially since she had plans with her daughter. It is much further south than one would ever need to go, and there are plenty of scenic routes that would have made more sense.

As someone stated, the weather was hazardous that day. It was not a pop up storm. The Cherohala Skyway is steep. The roads are not salted or treated for wintry weather, and at that kind of elevation, it is extremely likely that the roads would have been adversely impacted. However, if she did decide to go that way, it’s possible that she was entirely unphased by the threat of bad weather as it seems she had always (or for a good portion of her life at the very least) lived in or around mountains.

The only thing that I can formulate is that she picked up a hitchhiker, especially given her seemingly very kind and free spirit. It isn’t uncommon to encounter hitchhikers, especially “road kids”. They usually have interesting aesthetics, occasionally have companion animals, and mental illness (be it addiction or other ailments) run absolutely rampant in the subculture. I only mention this because I’ve met countless of them in the general area, and have had less than pleasant experiences with a few of them. It’s just an idea - it could have been an entirely different kind of hitchhiker or a different scenario altogether. It just seems as a kind hearted person, and as a mother, she might have been more likely to allow an obviously homeless kid into her vehicle.

Could it be possible that she was left somewhere else, and then someone ditched the car at Eagle Gap, then proceeded to bail? It would not add up for her abductor (assuming that this case is an abduction) to drop the car there and then leave with her. It more than likely would have been spontaneous and I normally don’t associate spontaneous crimes with seamless coordination.

I hope that Veronica can still come home safely, or that her family gets some closure at the very least.
I agree the path from where she was last seen to where her car was found doesn't make sense. I haven't looked back in the thread but I thought the trip she was going to take to Asheville was supposed to be the following weekend and not the weekend immediately following her disappearance.

The only scenarios that could account for her car at Eagle Gap are:

1. Suicide

2. Killed there but then the killer has a long walk in either direction out of there absent someone picking up a hitchhiker or the killer lives not too far away or had someone come pick them up or follow.

3. Killed elsewhere and the car driven there and dumped but then the killer has a long walk in either direction out of there absent someone picking up a hitchhiker or the killer lives not too far away or had someone come pick them up or follow

Her last known location was a gas station. I would be curious how much gas, if any, she purchased. I also would like to know what, if anything, Veronica had said to any fellow students or staff in the day or days prior and who she had been in contact with via phone calls/messages in the days prior to her disappearance. I know the theory of her picking up hitchhikers comes from her husband and that is always possible but I would like to know if all other bases have been covered before heading down the random stranger path.

I am rather surprised that considering the distance traveled that LE was not able to come up with any surveillance camera footage elsewhere along potential routes that show her car (maybe LE does have that) and particularly the fact that there is only one way to Eagle Gap via Tellico Plains (traveling east) and only one way in there traveling from the west which takes you quite a bit out of the way to be able to come that way which means if there are any surveillance cameras along to way through Tellico Plains LE should at least know if her car passed by. It seems that, if nothing else, LE should be able to piece some of the route Veronica's car must have traveled to limit the possibilities.

No media reports or articles associated with Veronica being missing 1 year today - or at least that I have come across. Hopefully there will be some media coverage in the days coming up that perhaps have some new information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back