Toad survives 40 minutes in dog's stomach!!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Isn't there a more humane way to get rid of them?:waitasec:

The prefered humane way to kill a canetoad is to catch it without actually touching it...stick it in a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer.

Some information about cane toads and how to kill them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12945017

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]A Warning About Dogs and Cats[/FONT]
One h2g2 Researcher reports that both of her dogs are addicted to toads and she cannot let them out after dark without supervision. The dogs will lick or 'mouth' toads until they get 'high' (like drug addicts), stagger indoors foaming at the mouth, then sleep for 12 or more hours.
This behaviour is not good for their hearts, and may cause organ damage in later life. likely to die if they ingest the poison. Pet owners are advised to keep dogs and cats indoors at night, and train them[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]<SUP>4</SUP>[/FONT] not to lick or mheir vet saTys it is quite common for dogs to deliberately go out of their way to find toads to lick. Small dogs and puppies, sick or elderly dogs, and cats are outh toads. The dogs' mouths need to be washed out as soon as any foaming and/or staggering is noticed, and veterinary advice should be sought.
This problem is not just rife in Australia but also in Hawaii where the 'bufo' (as the toad is known there) is indigenous.

I never knew that

*shrug* Whatever is more humane...sounds like they have a use after being humanely killed. Interesting what happens when humans think they solve a problem by bringing in another problem....bring in something, it backfires, then all they can do is kill them :rolleyes: Actually they sound a lot like Arizona's Colorado River Toads in the way of the same effects they have on animals.

LOL am I the only one who feels sorry for the frog?? ahah

No Amanda you're not the only one to feel bad for the toad. I felt bad too but hopefully he/she will have hopped away wise enough to avoid dogs in the future. Please don't think all Australians think killing them is fun. My family and friends try their hardest to avoid them when they're driving which is no easy feat. There are some stores that do sell posed stuffed toads as ornaments and wallets and keyrings made form their body parts. I always walk straight out of those places when I see things like that on sale. I recognise they are a huge problem but I believe that if they must be killed they should be killed humanely. Pepe, a a beautiful white chihuahua I used to have (died circa 2000 aged 11 of heart defect) used to try and sniff them and he would be left foaming at the mouth. It was pretty scary but Mum and I would always force milk into his mouth. She told me it neutralises the acid. It always worked and Pepe would be fine. Any other Australians heard of that or tried that?

*shrug* Whatever is more humane...sounds like they have a use after being humanely killed. Interesting what happens when humans think they solve a problem by bringing in another problem....bring in something, it backfires, then all they can do is kill them :rolleyes: Actually they sound a lot like Arizona's Colorado River Toads in the way of the same effects they have on animals.
Your right about that Fragile..we also have a problem here with rabbits and foxes which are both introduced species.

Not kidding at all..they are also killed and make into stupid souvenirs here. do some research and see the damage they have done here and how quick they can kill a family pet then come back with an informed opinion :rolleyes:..thanks for wishing me to hell Arizona .....I really appreciate your sentiments:rolleyes::razz:

it would be hell for you because it would have frogs. Could be heaven for other people. I hope wherever I end up, it's full of animals, cane toads included.

I did look it up and
A) I think they are cute
B) I believe a man in New York died just this month after licking one thinking it had aphrodisiac powers
C) believe it's best not to fool with nature

Nope Arizona, definately not kidding here either.

Australians have come up with many ways to kill cane toads. The only predator the cane toad has is human.

They are destroying our eco-system and killing an enormous amount of wildlife. Read the research.

Luckily you're not God, so I don't really give a hoot about where you think my Dad will be going in the after-life. ;-)

Young or adult Cane Toads are eaten by wolf spiders, freshwater crayfish, Estuarine Crocodile, crows, White-faced Heron, kites, Bush Stone-curlew, Tawny Frogmouth, Water Rat and the Giant White-tailed rat.

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/canetoad.htm

Young or adult Cane Toads are eaten by wolf spiders, freshwater crayfish, Estuarine Crocodile, crows, White-faced Heron, kites, Bush Stone-curlew, Tawny Frogmouth, Water Rat and the Giant White-tailed rat.

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/canetoad.htm

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2037/cane-toads-killing-australian-crocs

*snip -
The apparently devastating effect of the cane toad on a top predator such as the freshwater crocodile is disturbing, commented Ross Alford, a biologist from James Cook University in Townsville, Queensland.
“In many ecological systems, the top predators are very important in keeping the system in balance,” he said. A decline in crocodile numbers could cause a knock-on population boom in the species they would usually prey upon or compete with. In turn this could lead to an unchecked exploitation of resources by the newly abundant creatures, throwing the ecosystem out of sync, Alford said.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1260511.htm

*snip - One of Northern Australia's most common species of goanna has begun disappearing as the cane toad makes its way across the Top End.

The Yellow Spotted Monitor is one of the animals most vulnerable to the toad's spread, and scientists have found that in one area nearly 80 per cent of the monitors have vanished since the toad arrived less than a year ago.

The goanna's demise ties in with the fate of other native species, including freshwater crocodiles and quolls.

And as Anne Barker reports, experts are warning the toad is upsetting the entire ecological balance in Australia's north.

Yikes no wonder you dont like toads dingo, I would not like them either if they were cane toads. Thank goodness ours here in Michigan are not like that. Ours wont hurt you, there actually arent many of them here only near wetlands.

These horrible creatures are slowly invading our whole country Autumn...they are doing so much damage to our enviroment and our native wildlife that I find it hard to be compassionate to them..the more trashy toadskin souviners the better I say:innocent:

Does anyone else get creped out by thinking about a toad creeping around in their stomach?? Freaks me out just thinking about it.

dingo- I do hear you on that, Im all for protecting the enviroment but I want to protect myself and my own first.

Spazkat- Its disgusting isnt it, It reminds of the time my little cousin swallowed a live fish. It was so disgusting.

dingo- I do hear you on that, Im all for protecting the enviroment but I want to protect myself and my own first.

Spazkat- Its disgusting isnt it, It reminds of the time my little cousin swallowed a live fish. It was so disgusting.
me too mate....they havent made it down to my part of OZ yet but when they do i wll be all I can to keep my area canetoad free;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back