France Tom Doherty, 67, Retired british Doctor, texted family begging for help after fall, Pyrenees, 6 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

StillDiggin

Reaction score
A retired British doctor missing in the French Pyreneestexted his family begging for “help” after he fell over and could not move on a hiking trip.

The family of Tom Doherty, 67, said they lost contact with him on Tuesday evening as they issued an urgent appeal.

Mr Doherty, from St Albans, in Herts, was hiking and camping near Col d’Escots when he texted: “I’ve fallen and cannot [m]ove”.

His daughter, Rachel Doherty, said a search party has recovered his tent and car. She said the family had last heard from Mr Doherty at just after 7pm on Aug 6 via WhatsApp.
1723137910779.jpeg

That headline seems a bit misleading. BBM - basically he didn't have the equipment for the types of walk that he didn't do?

"Speaking to the FranceInfo outlet on Thursday, Ms Doherty said he regularly hiked alone, but only for 'two to three-hour walks', and 'he doesn't know the mountain well.'

She said: 'He toured the Pyrenees 15 years ago,' adding that he 'did not have the complete and necessary equipment' for long solo hikes.

I'm dismissing the stuff about equipment etc, but it's awful for the family, he sent a desperate message for help and it seems he was regularly touching base with pictures and messages but only vague location details. They've been having to resort to asking people to try to identify locations from his pictures. Oh for a gpx file :(

I don’t understand why he could message but not have the ability to send his location. I guess perhaps it’s very likely that he may have been in shock or had a head injury so wasn’t thinking clearly, but this is why having some way to share your location is so important. It could be something like what 3 words or find my phone on an iPhone. And just telling someone where you are going.

I do a lot of long walks and camping in very remote high moorland areas. I have what 3 words and google maps on my phone (there isn’t always signal in valleys but most places there is). And I always tell my husband where I’m going, where I’ve left the car and the route or general direction I’m heading (to a particular rock or river or peak), so it would be easy to retrace my steps if I got in trouble.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tased×20
Back