France Tom Doherty, 67, Retired british Doctor, texted family begging for help after fall, Pyrenees, 6 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is so sad.

It seems he didn't know how to share his location and they didn't know how to request his location from him?

On an iPhone, go into the Message app and tap on the thread of the person you want to share with. Then tap on their icon at the top of the screen. There should be choices to "share location" and "request location."

EDITED to add: Looks like they were on WhatsApp. You can share your location through that app but it's far more complicated.

EDITED to add: Looks like they were on WhatsApp. You can share your location through that app but it's far more complicated.
Sharing location through WhatsApp is not hard.
If anything I find it easier to share through WhatsApp than anything else because of how quick it is.
You click the little paperclip and then click the location button.

It's possible he didn't know how to do it - my mum wouldn't be able to share her location if I asked her.

1723469815947.jpeg

I'm quite surprised by this, are they literally just giving up? It hasn't even been a week yet.
This French article says that the search is "suspended" but that the investigations continue. The area located near the mountain station has been searched, but who knows how far, and in what direction, he might have gone from there before the fall. The weather in the area for the next two days seems to be rainy and with thunder, so helicopter searches are not possible.

Have I understood correctly- they have found his car, but still looking for his tent.
I think it’s unclear. My understanding was that they had found both the tent and the car (see the Independent article and also the posts by the friend of the family on the UKC forum … although I note that there is contradictory information in other articles (e.g. this Sun article) quoting Anne Doherty as saying that if people have information about where he pitched his tent they should let police know.

Have I understood correctly- they have found his car, but still looking for his tent.

On the website you linked to earlier the family friend said "He left his tent at the campsite and walked from his car, parked near Col d'Escots.".

Edit: just seen kittybee already mentioned this.

Last edited:
Sharing location through WhatsApp is not hard.
If anything I find it easier to share through WhatsApp than anything else because of how quick it is.
You click the little paperclip and then click the location button.

It's possible he didn't know how to do it - my mum wouldn't be able to share her location if I asked her.

View attachment 524060
I don't have this option. I can try to share my location another way (tap the plus sign and I get "location" as an option) but I get a message telling me that WhatsApp doesn't have access to my location, and I have to go into Settings and give it access.

That's what I meant by it being more complicated.

I think the thing is if you are hiking alone in sparsely populated areas where you would be in a fix if something went wrong, it's important to try to ensure someone could find you.

I had a wake up call a few years ago, I fell and badly injured my ankle (permanently) and had only given my partner vague details of where I was going (and it was on a route that would likely have been very isolated in parts). It was fortunate that I had not got far from the car when it happened and was able to get back.

So if I was still doing that kind of thing now I would definitely have something in place. Strava for example has a feature

"Beacon: Peace of mind for athletes and their loved ones.
Turn on Beacon and you can share your location in real time with your friend, partner, parent, coach, butler, therapist, highly intelligent dog - anyone cool enough to have your back in an emergency."

It's not my intention to judge here, as I nearly did the same thing but was lucky really (though my ankle would not agree), but so many threads on WS like this sadly, where people have been out in the wilds on their own and no one knew where they were.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20
Back