Tony Dow, Wally Cleaver on 'Leave It to Beaver,' Dies at 77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

anonypotomous

Reaction score
Tony Dow, the actor and director best known for playing the stalwart older brother Wally Cleaver to Jerry Mathers’ Beaver in the iconic series “Leave It to Beaver,” has died. He was 77.

His official Facebook page posted that he died Tuesday morning. “It is with an extremely heavy heart that we share with you the passing of our beloved Tony this morning. Tony was a beautiful soul – kind, compassionate, funny and humble,” read the message from his management team.

Dow and his wife Lauren announced in May that his cancer, which he had been diagnosed with years before, had returned.

Tony Dow, the actor and director best known for playing the stalwart older brother Wally Cleaver to Jerry Mathers’ Beaver in the iconic series “Leave It to Beaver,” has died. He was 77.

His official Facebook page posted the announcement on Tuesday.

"It is with an extremely heavy heart that we share with you the passing of our beloved Tony this morning," the announcement from his management team said.

"Tony was a beautiful soul — kind, compassionate, funny and humble. It was truly a joy to just be around him. His gentle voice and unpretentious manner was immediately comforting and you could not help but love him."...

Lauren Dow confirmed to CBS Sunday Morning that her husband is still alive and breathing, but is in hospice care.

Lauren Dow confirmed to CBS Sunday Morning that her husband is still alive and breathing, but is in hospice care.

Just saw that. What a terrible mistake his manager made. I hope Tony is resting peacefully.

Yikes...this made me so sad. It seems as though he is surrounded by love and they are doing all they can to ease his pain in his final hours.

I moved to Canada when I was a kid and I had such a fascination for Leave it to Beaver. It was hilariously funny and the actors were perfectly cast. They portrayed this incredible unrealistic family of perfectly sterotyped characters and they were dead on.

One of my favourite scenes was when June was getting dinner ready (in her bullet bra, full skirt and pearls) and asked Beaver to call his brother for dinner. She said "Theodore, would you tell Wallace that dinner is ready?" The Beav stood at the bottom of the stairs and yelled "Waaaallly!! Dinnnners ready!" June did a little shudder. It's difficult to play that kind of role straight and everyone including Tony Dow played it right. Being the straight man is always harder than playing the comic.

Tony Dow has lived a full life; actor, producer and director, eventually becoming a celebrated sculptor. However, I will always remember him as the slightly befuddled older brother whose friendship with Eddy Haskell tested his value system but he always landed right side up when it came to protecting his annoying brother. He'll always be Wally to me.

Last edited:
EDITOR’S NOTE (July 26, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET): Because of incorrect information distributed by the management team for the actor Tony Dow, NBC News published in error an obituary for Dow on Tuesday morning, written by Variety. As this article explains, Dow is in hospice but is alive.

Tony Dow, the actor and director best known for playing Wally Cleaver in the iconic series “Leave It to Beaver,” is still alive, his family said, despite a statement from his management team Tuesday saying he had died.

Dow's official Facebook page posted an announcement of the "passing of our beloved Tony this morning," but the post has since been deleted.

The actor's son, Christopher Dow, told NBC News in a text message Thursday afternoon that his father is still "on hospice and in his last hours."...

His official Facebook page posted the announcement on Tuesday.

"It is with an extremely heavy heart that we share with you the passing of our beloved Tony this morning," the announcement from his management team said.

"Tony was a beautiful soul — kind, compassionate, funny and humble. It was truly a joy to just be around him. His gentle voice and unpretentious manner was immediately comforting and you could not help but love him."...
He always had such a sweet disposition. We always loved to watch Leave it to Beaver . Blessings to his family . RIP Wally.

"Leave It to Beaver" actor Tony Dow has died following a recent cancer diagnosis, his family and representatives confirmed Wednesday. He was 77.

Dow’s manager, Frank Bilotta, confirmed the death, telling NBC News that Dow had been diagnosed with liver cancer.

His son, Christopher Dow, said in a statement on his father’s official Facebook page: “Although this is a very sad day, I have comfort and peace that he is in a better place. He was the best Dad anyone could ask for. He was my coach, my mentor, my voice of reason, my best friend, my best man in my wedding, and my hero...

Quote from article:

MeTV will remember legendary actor Tony Dow with a special extended presentation of Leave It to Beaver episodes, airing Sunday, July 31 from 12:00pm to 5:00pm on MeTV.

Featuring 10 episodes showcasing Tony Dow’s beloved character Wally Cleaver, MeTV’s tribute will include the episodes "Wally’s Job", "Wally’s Car" and "Wally’s Weekend Job", among others.

“For Tony Dow, who played Wally, the role propelled him to teen stardom overnight. Hundreds of fan letters poured in weekly, often in pink stationery, sometimes scented. He was one of the first true teen idols of television.

However, Dow didn't even plan on auditioning for the role. In fact, it was a coincidence that led to the breakout role of a lifetime. According to a 1959 article in the Detroit Free Press, an "actor friend of his parents" was heading to an audition to read for Ward Cleaver. He asked Mr. and Mrs. Dow if their son wanted to accompany him to audition for the father and son roles of a new TV sitcom. "The actor didn't come close to getting the role of Ward Cleaver," the paper wrote (the actor was never named), "but Tony's appearance ended the producer's search for Beaver's older brother."

Polite, trustworthy, heartthrob, all-American big brother! Yes, that was Wally.

I came to know the show long after its day but I'd long been eager to know this series that my American college roommates recalled with such warm memories.

I've long said that my proudest moment on WS was when a poster made reference to somebody being all Eddie Haskell-like, and I completely understood how applicable the reference was!
Well done Tony, your life well done. :D

1659264785568.png

ETA: I loved Wally's style -- and that he always wore a belt!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back