Trial break: The State vs Jodi Arias; trial resumes 4 February 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really have to guess what evidence the defense has or what they plan to present, in case anyone is wondering whether they have some mystery witness who's going to say that Travis was ever violent. The defense laid out their case in their opening statement and told us exactly what evidence they plan to present.

Here's my take on the evidence the defense described in their opening statement:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8799702#post8799702"]Jodi Arias recorded statements and interviews - Page 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I think when this came up during pre-trial, the defense said we're not going to preview our whole case for the defense and we're not going to give them an opportunity to get a ruling on every piece of evidence in advance.

The defense is right on this -- they don't have to have everything pre-screened for admissibility before they seek to offer it at trial.

minor, I am thinking of the FL laws where the prosecution has to share all their info with the defense and vise versa. Wouldn't the prosecution have had an opportunity to hear about this tape via discovery?
So THEN, if the cat is out of the bag, why not rule on it?

Good thoughts. And I agree the ultimate reason was exactly what you
pointed out. If she couldn't have him no one would.
I just wanted to point out that I believe Jodie didn't have as good
an upbringing as she claims.
She lacked strong emotional bonds with her parents during her formative years and this set the stage through her adult life making her insecure,
feeling abandoned and obsessing over Travis.
That said, she didn't know who she was and therefore wanted another's
personality to make her whole. Travis is who she picked and she was
more than shocked when he didn't return those feelings. She felt in her
mind they should have been one!
Normally she would have probably felt bad, depressed etc and then
moved on. But she couldn't and didn't.
The amount of rage was over the top and I don't think there is any
explanation other than she lost it big time jmo

The fact that JA's mother was laughing in court says a lot to me. This woman can sit in a open court room, with her daughter on trial for murder (slaugtered, actually), a dead young man with his whole future in front of him, and the family and friends of this young man in the same room. And while they are greiving and crying, and their hearts are forever broken, this woman sits there and laughs.

I don't know what kind of a mother she was/is, but she has shown what kind of an unfeeling person she is now.

The calls Jodi made to Travis after murdering him so heinously, really mess with my mind. Well, the whole thing does, but this is really creepy to me.

What got me was the defense trying to make it sound like Jodi simply called Travis (after she killed him), left a message, decided she didn't like the message and re-recorded it. This is in reference to the 16 minute voicemail "call" that Jodi made after she killed Travis.

Does Verizon allow someone to erase their voicemails? Yes.

In your experience you thought someone was going in there but they could have been erasing their voicemail and doing it over again - correct? Correct!

Does the defense really think that the jury is that stupid?!?!

MOO

YW, glad you liked it. I thought it was a good example of JM at work.

It was a crazy case, wasn't it. :)

I'm pretty sure it is a different courtroom as it does look smaller than the one the Arias trial is being held in. It's a big courthouse, with multiple courtrooms. I was surprise at just how big it is inside when I went last week.

It was a great example of JM showing he works using "FACTS" :)

A few random observations: 1. I'm not really pro-hairplugs, but his mugshot was CRAZY!! I think he should go bald or get plugs!!; 2. I found comfort knowing she had 50mgs of ambien in her system bc there's no way she knew what he was doing and didn't suffer (I've had some random things happen on 7.5mg of ambien and had no recollection); and 3. Hillary has to be the most ignorant or most brainwashed woman I've ever seen!! WOWSERS!!

I was looking at this last night, and was surprised to see that Jodi made another call to Travis on June 14

Edited: I had initially said that was the day before she was arrested, then realized she was arrested July 15, not June 14.

Cannot fathom why she would have done this. Did she think he would miraculously answer the phone? And how stupid can one be to draw attention to themselves?

:doh:

I was looking at this last night, and was surprised to see that Jodi made another call to Travis on June 14

Edited: I had initially said that was the day before she was arrested, then realized she was arrested July 15, not June 14.

So................this is after they have discovered the body, she knows she is a "person of interest"......................What on earth???????????? Just upped the creep factor.

I'm going more with this theory too. The timing of him having the duct tape on his arm doesn't coincide with him working out. In the picture it looks like he was just waking up or just after sex. Imo

:banghead: What was that movie that they did that to someones chest, to make him less hairy they used duct tape. Was hilarious.

I was thinking 40 year old virgin ..maybe ..

Cannot fathom why she would have done this. Did she think he would miraculously answer the phone? And how stupid can one be to draw attention to themselves?

:doh:

She was probably checking his voicemails again...WEIRDO!!

minor, I am thinking of the FL laws where the prosecution has to share all their info with the defense and vise versa. Wouldn't the prosecution have had an opportunity to hear about this tape via discovery?
So THEN, if the cat is out of the bag, why not rule on it?

Presumably, the prosecution would have had a copy of this tape before the trial. There are some things the judge can't or won't rule on in a pre-trial hearing because it will depend on the other evidence that is admitted at trial and also depends on the defense theory of the case.

The state did make a motion to exclude any evidence or mention of Travis' past sexual proclivities, likely with this tape in mind, but the judge deferred ruling on it until the prosecution had finished its case IIRC

Unlike other types of evidence, a judge can't rule on the admissibility of and objections to a phone recording without actually listening to the recording to determine if it's relevant and not hearsay, etc. She's not going to listen to the it with the jury present and then rule on its admissibility, so this may be why there would be a closed door session to discuss its admissibility before the defense actually offers it and publishes it. If the judge rules in chambers that it's inadmissible, the defense would still have the opportunity to make a bill of exceptions or offer of proof to make the recording part of the trial record for purposes of appeal, although it might be sealed from the public.

I agree she is good. I could never draw like she does. I do stick men and do them wrong :floorlaugh: I also agree she ruined her life and Travis's. With her singing and her art and photography she could of done so much more. I do think she should not be able to sell any of her work though. I feel all her rights should be taken away....she did the crime now do the time.

I agree...She is a talented artist (I'm like you, lol I can't draw a simple house or trees and my birds are "w"...lol) and she sings well too..Jodi could have done well in life...Such a waste and shame that she destroyed Travis's life and her own. :( SMH.

AmyFF,
I never got took the opportunity to welcome you to WS. I just want to let you know I am enjoying your posts. Welcome.

OMG:blushing:

er, THANK YOU.
That is reassuring to me. Now, where's my safety rock? (Believe it or not, i'm sort of introverted, though one might never know by all these posts i find myself interrupting everyone else with....)

Thanks for the welcome!!!! Enjoying your posts, too, and others' as well.

We don't really have to guess what evidence the defense has or what they plan to present, in case anyone is wondering whether they have some mystery witness who's going to say that Travis was ever violent. The defense laid out their case in their opening statement and told us exactly what evidence they plan to present.

Here's my take on the evidence the defense described in their opening statement:

Jodi Arias recorded statements and interviews - Page 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This is an EXCELLENT post, explaining how weak the defense case is. Thank you for taking the time to post this!

This is an EXCELLENT post, explaining how weak the defense case is. Thank you for taking the time to post this!

It really brings it home when you look at it point by point and see that they have absolutely no evidence. Glad you enjoyed it.

I love your post. I find it very insightful. I am speaking of only nature here, not created socio/psychopaths here BTW....those that were shaped by life circumstances.

I have no problem admitting that sometimes at conception somethig just goes wonky when the brain wiring is been developed, just like sometimes children are born with a physical disability. I have no idea why it is so hard to fathom that sometimes kids are, for whatever reason, born with some brain wiring not like an average person's. It does not mean they will be a killer of course. No one has a perfect body or mind, so there are no perfect people. It means people would have to accept that there are always going to be a small few that are just truly just sick. People don't want to admit that. People hate the thought that in spite of a decent-good upbringing there are a tiny few of kids who grow up just being different.

It's easier to blame tangible things that can be controlled-bad parenting, drugs, abuse. I always go back to Ted Bundy as a prime example of all of this. Ann Rule's book mentioned that at the age of 3 (IIRC) he freaked out a relative. I have seen toddler pics of him and I have seen the same scary eyes he had as an adult. He had relatively decent parenting. And short of killing him early on nothing was going to stop Ted from being Ted.

Again.....not all wired like this will be killers, just like not all in abusive horrible situations that can create killers will choose that same path. I don't know if Jodi is a Ted, or a made socio/psychopath, or if it is combo of the two. I do know that there isn't always a logical explanation for someone's actions sometimes. When you take out the social factors....what is left sometimes?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Ted Bundy had a horrible horrible horrible home life. It is felt that his father was actually his grandfather. That means his mother was raped by her father.

There was plenty more that I do not remember.

. It's almost like being in rain. I've done this before and still do to relax, but that was the best way I was able to get things under control quickly. Calm down my heart rate, breathing, and reassure myself it's all okay.

You really should try it sometime. :)

My ex used to be so verbally abusive I used to do that also just to cry..

Why she did this is speculation so we are pretty much stuck with it. All discussions are welcome whether we agree with them or not as long as it's not just a way to bash the subject, or some other unrelated matter. You'd be surprised at some of what we might think of as speculation that is really out there turns out to be right on the target. Discussions that don't make much sense to us now might have a whole other meaning down the line.

I also sometimes skim through the posts because I know where it is going and just don't read it. It's all part of putting the puzzle together. Myself, I think the reason she killed him is old as dirt. If she could not have him and what he would provide her with (all the things she wanted out of life and her goals) then he had to go. She feels she already claim him as her's so no one else was going to have those advantages. Happens all the time in domestic murders.

Happy posting. jmo

Oh, yes, LambChop, the old "If I can't have him, nobody can. I gave him
all I had, and now he doesn't want it. Well, %*# him. He wants this in a wife & that in a wife -- no, he wants ME!! Taking that perfect never-done-anything-wrong-in-her-whole-life woman with him to Cancun. She'll never make him happy the way I can. Who does he think he is? He's surely no Mr. Perfect. Well, I showed him. I gave him what he deserved. Now I've got to start all over with another one. At least I don't have to be baptized and all that all over again. I'm getting on with my life.. So long, sucker!!" Slamming the door, and stomping down the driveway to her car.
She closes this chapter of her life, never worrying about it one whit. Done. Over. Put it in a box & burn it.

I was thinking maybe she put the bloody clothes and such in the trunk perhaps on the floor mats or with them if she got blood on one. (better to have 4 missing then just 1 or 2, maybe that way it wouldn't be noticed). With the extra gas she bought when she left Utah I figured she burned the articles on the way home thus explaining the extra gas at that time and the smoke smell so fresh upon returning the car, the car returning late and no smoke smell by Leslie. jmo

If Leslie was driving Jodi home from the car rental wouldn't she be driving her own car and not in the rental???? I know a truck blew a tire in front of us on the highway coming home and we were pretty far behind but the tire was smoking as the truck pulled over and even with the windows closed the car reaked for hours of burning rubber. I have no doubt that she burned everything in the desert and stayed until she was sure every piece of evidence was gone and the car was close enough to absorb the odor. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member