Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer? #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the case IS going to be held in Horry County?
That would be the best thing that could happen in my opinion.

The only way this is going to be "settled" prior to a jury trial would be for SM to plead guilty.

By trying SM first with kidnapping and lying to LE, I think the State is trying to set precedence for Heather's murder and TM's involvement.

I know it's just a TV show, but in episode five of The People vs OJ Simpson, Johnnie Cochran says, "We’re here to tell a story. Our job is to tell our story better than the other side tells theirs.”

I just hope the State has a better story than we've heard so far.

BBM- I would be shocked if Sidney pleads guilty. It's possible the state might offer a plea deal for him to plead guilty and avoid a trial. If they don't have a good case that will convince a Jury, it is possible the state will make a concession. Right now, based on what we know, I don't know what evidence they have that would convince a Jury. ???

I wonder how the M's would have access to or any knowledge of any alleged letters. :waitasec:

Not sure the Solicitor would be required to share this with the defense attorneys.

"June 27th, trial continues if necessary."

I hope that doesn`t mean that this charge could be dropped.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/cri...cle_c04901e8-f11f-11e5-bc8b-d3d83aa89ec6.html

From article:Jury selection begins June 20 and will continue into the week of June 27, if necessary, the order continues.

I took that to mean the 'jury selection' would continue if necessary. A lot of people have opinions on this case, and if they are honest and say that, if may take a long time to seat a jury.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/cri...cle_c04901e8-f11f-11e5-bc8b-d3d83aa89ec6.html

From article:Jury selection begins June 20 and will continue into the week of June 27, if necessary, the order continues.

I took that to mean the 'jury selection' would continue if necessary. A lot of people have opinions on this case, and if they are honest and say that, if may take a long time to seat a jury.

If you read the actual court order, which is attached to the MHN article, it states, "Monday, June 27, 2016, Trial continues if necessary."
BBM.

If you read the actual court order, which is attached to the MHN article, it states, "Monday, June 27, 2016, Trial continues if necessary."
BBM.

I agree. I took that to mean that the trial would start sometime during the week of the 20th, assuming jury selection does not take a week, and that if there were still witnesses to call or closing statements, and a decision to make on the verdict they would continue through the week of the 27th.

BBM

Not sure what was more accurate with WMBF's version? MHN just posted the news first and included the court schedule document in the article.

Unless you are talking about the headline? MHN did correct and added this statement:

I think a lot of people assumed the M's would be tried together like they have been since the beginning.

Yes, I was talking about the fact that they said the M's were going to be tried together. And yes I think My Horry News has always wanted to be first with the Elvis case and usually are. This is not the only time they have had to come back and update/correct things pertaining to the case. I also feel they have shown partiality to the M and C family. The M's definitely feed them stuff. A lot of people assumed they would be tried together? Yeah, but they're supposed to be journalists. I would hope the news media, including MY Horry would not just assume that. We recently discussed the gag order and their editorial. They of course strongly disagree with it. I do not. I don't really care about the gag order. I don't feel the reason behind it was "so the cops can do what they want and when they want." This isn't the first gag order in a case and won't be the last I am sure. I'm not a court of law, but I feel that if it does even the tiniest thing to help bring Heather home I am all for it. As a matter of fact, I feel that the narrative in the first bond hearing and evidence released at that time was plenty enough for me and the public to know. Yes I have formed an opinion, but there apparently will be a trial. We shall see if there is anything additional to come out and we will see if there is a jury outcome. This is all imo.

BBM- I would be shocked if Sidney pleads guilty. It's possible the state might offer a plea deal for him to plead guilty and avoid a trial. If they don't have a good case that will convince a Jury, it is possible the state will make a concession. Right now, based on what we know, I don't know what evidence they have that would convince a Jury. ???

I would be shocked too.

And I'm sure the state already offered deals early on, including an opportunity for each M to hand the other to the state. Obviously, neither of the M's or their counsel thought this was a deal worth taking, and taking no deal obviously paid off on the murder charges.

What was the nature of the cases you spoke of that got settled? If they were for criminal charges like murder or kidnapping how were they settled?
They were criminal cases. The only one we made it to the courtroom for was armed robbery. Maybe "settled" was a poor choice of words. They all took plea deals, but we weren't privy to the details of those deals.

I took it to mean whatever it is they're referring to (whether it's jury selection or the trial itself), if another week is needed then that's what will happen. Perhaps they need to reserve the courtrooms and that's their way of doing so.

Im struggling with how does the state think its any easier to prove kidnapping than to prove murder of Heather. I just don't see a lot of difference in the states case for either.

I almost think they should have dropped the kidnapping charge and gone for the murder charge. Im thinking about how the jury is going to react to the kidnapping charge.

I know there is no body murder and we cant prove she is deceased but to prove kidnapping then what is the state going to present to the jury that they took her and is holding her alive somewhere.

The jury will likely want to hear what the State thinks happened and as soon as the state says they think they murdered her then they will wonder why not murder charges then.

I almost think they will be less likely to convict because of the charges being only kidnapping.

I sure hope enough evidence is there.

Im struggling with how does the state think its any easier to prove kidnapping than to prove murder of Heather. I just don't see a lot of difference in the states case for either.

I almost think they should have dropped the kidnapping charge and gone for the murder charge. Im thinking about how the jury is going to react to the kidnapping charge.

I know there is no body murder and we cant prove she is deceased but to prove kidnapping then what is the state going to present to the jury that they took her and is holding her alive somewhere.

The jury will likely want to hear what the State thinks happened and as soon as the state says they think they murdered her then they will wonder why not murder charges then.

I almost think they will be less likely to convict because of the charges being only kidnapping.

I sure hope enough evidence is there.

BBM

Yeah! That.:ufo:

I'm sure the prosecution will go over with the jury why there are no murder charges in opening and closing statements and testimony from LE.

I'm sure the prosecution will go over with the jury why there are no murder charges in opening and closing statements and testimony from LE.

And what do you think they'll say? There was no murder because we can't prove it? :thinking:

If the charges are kidnapping, I can't see how the Court would allow explanations about charges that in the eyes of the Court are not at issue.

If the charges are kidnapping, I can't see how the Court would allow explanations about charges that in the eyes of the Court are not at issue.

I would have to agree. I doubt the murder charge would be brought up at all. Also, I think we will have to wait & see the exact entirety of the evidence for the kidnapping charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur