trial day 41: the defense continues its case in chief #121

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Juanderful!!

In the meager 35 mins he was left to cross this woman, he has:

1. Shown her lack of education as an expert witness, and her limitation in not being allowed to give, score, or interpret clinical tests.

2. Shown her 'man-hate' bias.

3. Made her a laughing stock with her Snow White analogy.

4. Rattled her chains.

As an aside, when is somebody in that court going to catch on, and do something about Wilmott's coaching of witnesses. It was blatant that ALV was looking to her for direction before answering, and Wilmott was shaking her head with a 'yes' or 'no'.

Why is she a joke for not wanting her presentation misrepresented? I'm pro-Juan usually but I'm going against the grain of the board here. I think he is not doing well today. At all.
FACT IS that ALV absolutely does use the entire Snow White fairy tale..it is the "expert" herself who has made the Snow White=Batterered Woman comparison.. Juan is simply using her very own fairy tale analogy and she's quite obviously embarrassed at THE FACT that she is the one who chose to use the poor ol' Snow White fairy tale BS!

its one thing to not want to be misrepresented..its a totally different, and other thing to be embarrassed by one's own representation due to the fact that she now realizes just how ridiculous her chosen fairy tale analogy truly is..

Juan's not misrepresenting MISS ALV..he's simply stating her own cooked up ridiculous analogy and she rightfully so is embarrassed about that truth ..jmo, tho.
Juan is starting to look a tad bit foolish.
how so?..by using the witness' more than a tadbit foolish analogy of Snow White=Battered Woman?..because ITA that Miss ALV is looking more than a tad bit foolish due to Juan outting to the world her foolish, foolish, not to mention not even near relevant or accurate analogy that Miss ALV has chosen to use..

moo is that the only one looking foolish is Miss ALV, not Juan..but jmo, of course.

I think he is just trying to show how ridiculous this is. It worked.

I am actually an abuse survivor. My stepmother went to jail for beating the crap out of me when I was 17, and she was charged and convicted of domestic violence.

I just got divorced and I was in an 8 year abusive relationship and believe it or not, I was diagnosed with PTSD and GAD (since I was 5) and the therapist also said I was a victim of spousal abuse and noted into my medical history and it's also a crux of my divorce case.

Just because it's not in the DSM does it mean that being abused isn't a relevant diagnosis. I don't like being compared to Snow White, either.

And I believe that JA is guilty. Not a fan of his approach today. Sorry.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much in your life, Slanda. I have GAD too and I cringe every time Juan gets loud. He and most of this board would hate me if I ever ended up on his stand! lol

I, too, agree that he was treading dangerous waters right in the beginning. To certain ears it sounded a lot like he was making light of Battered Women Syndrome, which I see you also noticed.

Still part of the Juan party and think Jodi deserves whatever she gets.

:blushing:Well, I hate to say it but I thought Snow White had a cute little cottage too.

It didn't work for me. Hopefully next week things will be back to rights. I don't want the prosecution losing any ground.

Juan ALWAYS opens his cross with something totally out of left field. It is his strategy and it works.

Remember with Jodi, he opened by bringing up her calling her little sister a dummy? And it came out of nowhere and shook her up. And after tussling about that he suddenly veered off into the gas cans.

The same thing with Samuels. He opened with the definition of "compassion' and it got the Dr all riled up and emotional. Then he suddenly went into the bogus test scores and caught him off guard.

So, imo, he is simply doing the same thing here. He is just getting her upset, and confused, to give her something to stew about all weekend. Believe me, he has much more powerful ammo to go at her with.

Also, opening with something unimportant gives him the chance to spar a bit and see how they tend to defend themselves. He will look back at the videos and see what he needs to know when he gets to the meat on Monday. Now he is prepared for her little sarcastic remarks and her " Mr Martinez are you mad?'
comments. He got her to use them when they were unnecessary. Wait until he REALLY comes at her...lol

Why was LaViolette allowed to say to Juan Martinez, "Mr. Martinez are you angry with me?"

There is common theme with the Defense Expert Witnesses - all of them are rude and disrespectful to the court.

Doesn't the Judge have the authority to tell a witness: Do not ask the prosecution questions. You are not really concerned - nor do you really believe that Mr. Martinez is angry with you. By asking this question you a making a mockery out of this court - and it will not be tolerated. Now, are you able to conduct yourself in a professional manner and answer the state's questions? You did not have a problem answering the questions asked of you by the defense. Ms. LaViolette, this is your warning. Ms. LaViolette, this is The Court telling you that you are out of line."

It is very irritating that a witness would behave this way - and I have never witnessed such poor behavior by witnesses.

BBM. Because the defense team has told them to respond that way, to typecast Juan as "the angry prosecutor." It's a common theme throughout the trial because the defense team is coaching the witnesses to respond that way.

I saw the same thing on this feed:
http://www.azcentral.com/live/?event=040413-jodi-arias-trial

One of the clerks was talking to #5, courtroom had all but emptied out, looked like the clerk was discussing with #5 possibly how to get out of courthouse without all the fuss she's going to get by people.

Saw a lady in orange hand #5 a note. She glanced at it but didn't discuss note with clerk.

Also saw Jodi whispering with Nurmi. Hope one of our sweet lip readers saw all of this action.

Also saw Nurmi give ALV a hug on her way out.

BBM: I don't know if it would matter or not, but if I were Tri Color, I wouldn't even have looked at the note, I would have said I'm not accepting notes. I wouldn't want to even give a hint of impropriety.

I got where he is going. She applied TA to her continuum based off of not knowing him, not interviewing him. She applied his childhood into it as well. Now she is saying she can not comment about Snow White because she does not know the relationship or anything. She caught on, that is why she was trying so hard to confuse us with her responses, but you could tell she tripped herself up.

Like JM said, you can apply a completely made up myth/story to your so called guide...

I think you got it dc! Welcome to WebSleuths :rocker:

Right? I was thinking the same thing. Not looking professional La V. Hope you read this, just so you know how bad you screwed up...sorry, I'm a bit annoyed!

She is doing her best to predict where JM's going to give herself a chance to formulate an answer that will not hurt the little "victim."

I have to say I am really shocked by the animosity for ALV on these boards.

I know she is on the "other team", but for God's sake this woman has committed her life to helping people being domestically abused.

I will be curious to see who all of the sudden LOVES her when JM turns her into a witness for the prosecution, and he will....

There is a reason attorneys practice either for the prosecution or for the defense, for the claimant or for the defendant, not both at the same time.
We understand that attorneys are real people with inner motives and thoughts which incline them to seek justice by prosecuting criminals or seek justice by defending people from (unjust?) prosecution. That's how they see it.

The reason the expert witness business attracts pieces of chit is because it doesn't do that. It attracts people who, for the buck, will defend the guilty and provide opinions to prosecute the innocent. They d o n o t c a r e about justice or the case they are working on in terms of whether they are on the side of the angels or devils. This is why they have so little respect.

LaViolette is violating some basic ethics and it makes people furious. It is fine to dedicate your life to helping people, but how about making sure you are CREDIBLE and PROFESSIONAL, not just someone who has lots of degrees and came up with a Continuum and that was so well received, and her books..why should she lower herself to keep up with technology just because a bunch of domestic violence perpetrators are using it more and more?

If she cared about people, she would open up her mind and learn how to send a friggin' email. I am older than ALC is and my kids ask me for advice on composing Word documents. IT IS LAZY. People are paying you to have an expertise, well you have to keep it up to date. Ask any professional, they all go to continuing education. I am low tech on boards because that wasn't part of my job at work. You can bet your life I kept up with tech in order to NOT be replaced until I was good and ready to retire.

ALV has been cashing in on her Continuum for years and now she's pushed it too far. She has sold her soul to the devil. She is now twisting a tragic domestic violence case to make it look like a horrific perpetrator --Jodi Arias-- is actually a victim.

THIS IS WHY SHE IS HATED.

We all are or know someone who is a real victim. I'm sorry, but snapping your gum when the other person told you to stop is not domestic violence and we all know she perfectly well knows it. I'll just say it- I felt sorry for her at first, but now I think she is a traitor to her own cause.

"Mr Martinez, I'm not sure what you're saying"..."I'm confused".

He should keep asking if she has difficulty understanding all the time. And the fact is, if she has trouble like this, then how well did she understand the issues set before her?

I keep saying it over and over- she is a dullard. She's really rigid in her thinking and cannot make conceptual leaps.

Basically you can say that for every poor Disney female character.
The real mom is dead, the dad remarries to a cray cray heifer. Then she is usually banished, knocked out, made a slave, or trapped in a tower before some prince comes and saves her butt.

Ha! That one got a real LOL from me!

JM needed to drop this long ago. Not a good way to end for the weekend IMO.
I was waiting to see how Jodi used this to model her story. Either it's not there or Juan ran out of time.

Since trial ended for today I tried to find this lecture with google and on Youtube. I could not find it. So, I am left scratching my head. Could Juan have missed the point that this was an allegory for how girls grow up waiting for someone to come and give them a life rather than get one of there own?

With Alyce's version of her continuum - which really does make some good points, to be fair - almost everyone is either abusive or abused. It's trying to be more subjective by entertaining several 'levels' of abusive behaviors but instead leans too far by twisting isolated acts of abusive behaviors, found in many otherwise healthy relationships, into the definition of an abusive relationship altogether. To my mind, they're totally different things. I think one can call their husband a moron and it is by definition an abusive behavior. What makes one an abuser is repeatedly berating, demeaning, and controlling their husband's behavior on a consistent and persistent basis. We all say and do things in the heat of anger...abuse isn't about anger though. It just manifests as that, often, because anger is used as a tool to control and intimidate victims of IPV.

But, hey, I don't have a Ph.D. either so this is JMO. ;)

abused become abuser or abuser become abused....NOT ALWAYS..the thing is we all manipulate in some fashion..by being sweet or nasty. We dont all hurt or murder folks in this manner that ja did.

Denying a chocoholic of chocolate can be thought of as abuse ..at least by me (am a certified chocoholic)..And that is no fairytale.

Why was LaViolette allowed to say to Juan Martinez, "Mr. Martinez are you angry with me?"

There is common theme with the Defense Expert Witnesses - all of them are rude and disrespectful to the court.

Doesn't the Judge have the authority to tell a witness: Do not ask the prosecution questions. You are not really concerned - nor do you really believe that Mr. Martinez is angry with you. By asking this question you a making a mockery out of this court - and it will not be tolerated. Now, are you able to conduct yourself in a professional manner and answer the state's questions? You did not have a problem answering the questions asked of you by the defense. Ms. LaViolette, this is your warning. Ms. LaViolette, this is The Court telling you that you are out of line."

It is very irritating that a witness would behave this way - and I have never witnessed such poor behavior by witnesses.

I agree. And all the ' laughers'? They should have been shown the exit. :furious:

BBM. Because the defense team has told them to respond that way, to typecast Juan as "the angry prosecutor." It's a common theme throughout the trial because the defense team is coaching the witnesses to respond that way.

IMO, and IIRC, this witness was not disrespectful to the court - if she were, the Judge would have said something - because the Court is the Judge. She was combative/disrespectful to the attorney. BBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper