trial day 43: the defense continues its case in chief #131

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about ALV and her professed lack of knowledge about email, texting, etc. I don't believe she is as ignorant as she says she is on the subject, but if she IS, then she is just plain STUPID not to educate herself if she chooses to continue to work in her chosen field.

Just communicating with the defense team, let alone anyone else she comes in contact with, makes it REQUIRED to, at the very least, have email. Have you ever tried to reach a lawyer on the phone and/or have them get back to you? Yeah, good luck with THAT. At least with email you send a message the way YOU want to word it (not misinterpreted by a go-between), at any TIME you want to word it, even if it is 3:30am, and boom! Off it goes. Texting might not work as well businesswise, due to the interruption factor, but it is STILL nearly essential when people need to communicate short and to the point, depending upon the situation. Letters and phone calls have their places, but keeping up with a fast-moving case in the 21st century isn't one of them. I suspect the defense team have many email addresses and some of them are used SOLELY for this case, with others solely for certain people or aspects of the case.

Unless she has a budget throwaway cellphone or a really old one or no data plan, there's no excuse for her not to have texting available. She probably wants to force people to communicate face-to-face or by telephone with her so that they keep up their own social skills and she can read verbal and non-verbal cues from them, but that's VERY outdated thinking, AND she would, once again, trying to force her own way of doing things on others. There is a whole 'nother world of stalking, domestic violence, intimidation, and even tenderness contained within the world of email, texting and social networking. GPS is another aspect of 21st century stalking that she should keep up on. The concept of Skype might make her head explode.

And then there are all the uses for non-email/texting aspects of the on-line world that she may not know how to do. Googling, for one. There is on-line banking, on-line news, domestic violence forums, appointment scheduling, on-line account access for everything from public utility acounts to Readers' Digest accounts and everything in between. Unless you've already put yourself out to pasture or don't have the means, physical ability, and/or overall access to these things, there's no excuse NOT to be using at least the basics to get things done in the modern world. It doesn't mean most basic things can't still be done, but more and more places REQUIRE internet access if you want to deal with them. One ironic example of that is Amazon.com. You KNOW she has to have an Amazon account! In fact, I think she mentioned that during her testimony regarding sending books to JA. You have to have an email account to use THAT, too. Of course, she could have directed someone else to do it for her, but that's kind of pathetic, and it doesn't exactly make me think of her as a strong, capable woman.

I keep thinking of my elderly Mom (she turns 80 this year) who has only gotten to the point over the last year or so where she'll at least make herself a cup of tea with her microwave, rather than using a kettle on the stove. ALV is about 65; not THAT old. Being set in one's ways is understandable to a degree, but if you can't keep up with something that the average person has taken for granted for 15-20 years (longer for those of us who started using email in the 1980s, or even earlier for some techhies), then you shouldn't be playing in the grown-up pool, plain and simple.

I don't believe her.:moo:

BBM~ I bet she did and wants this because she's getting paid by the hour a good chunk of change.

If we get a good, all day court with no delays or intrusions, does anyone think Juan could finish tomorrow?
If there really ARE a lot of jury questions that make it through, I'm guessing ALV has at least all week next week, too. First we have to get through Jenny's re-direct.
I don't think ALV thought this would take so long. Bet it's messing up her speaking schedule.

Gonna be downgraded to keynote breakouts.

Reminds me of that great line from the film, Sunset Boulevard.

William Holden says to Gloria Swanson, "Didn't you used to be big?"

She replies, "I still am. It's the screens that got smaller."
LOL Thanks for the laugh.

I was more disappointed by the judge today than I was by anything else. Geez, the "expert witness" berated and taunted and failed to respond the ENTIRE DAY?

Okkkayy.

Been here. Done this. I will not be surprised here. I will now attempt to back out slowly.

I am not a "Juanette". I respect JM because he fights for the right of the victim. He fought against all odds today. The judge was not there to ensure a level playing field.

moo

You are right! She was not there to defend the State of Arizona and Travis Alexander! Your right on.

the answer is 'no' (unless you ARE still beating your wife.)

if you've NEVER beat your wife that will have to be cleared up on redirect.

Can a witness make notes while on the stand so that they don't miss having the attorneys clear up all the necessary incomplete answers?

Ok, so regarding that pic that was taken..... Of them having lunch..

is that allowed?

what if Alice is removed from giving testimony? Would there not be a mistrial? Or would court be put on hold in order to find a new Alice?

How many times does Jodi have to "attempt" anal sex to know that she doesn't like it? Maybe the men didn't like it, and she finally found a man who liked it in Travis?

It upsets me that she tries to make it as though Travis forced her into this, yet she had enough experience to know whether or not she liked it. Travis did not force her into that. Why in the world does every man want to have anal sex with Jodi, but Jodi doesn't like it? Whatever......

Old school domestic violence 101 used to preach that anger is the reason for abuse. And LaViolette is a strong proponent for court-ordered anger management as a solution, in part, to domestic violence.

I see abuse as entirely about control with anger being one of many manifestations utilized to establish and maintain control. I am against court-ordered anger management therapies because I believe they have the ability to teach an abuser to adapt and be more covert. Especially true with psychopathic abusers. (Research shows a moderate success rate looking purely at recidivism in arrests. Victims have a much different opinion according to a lot of the same research.)

It seems to me and my 'untrained brain' that LaViolette is using an antiquated notion of the causation of domestic violence itself. Travis expresses anger openly while Jodi is more subtly (raging) passive-aggressive among a whole list of other emotional manipulators very often used by abusers to control their victims. If I were only looking for anger...apart from the crime itself, and precluded any other manifestation as evidence of an abusive relationship, I'm not certain I'd see her as an abuser either.

I'm not defending LaViolette as I do honestly believe she's dangerous in her own way. I think it just hit me why I see black where she sees white and vice versa. The past few decades of research flies in the face of her testimony regardless.

MOO

Great post!

Okay, was he a Vampire or Vampire Hunter? I'm sure I've heard both, and lord knows I want to be clear on this vital point.

Answer: Yes

Source: Jodi Ann Arias, Purveyor of "Credible" information, according to Alyce LaViolette

Exactly. The defense was hoping to have it both ways yet again. No report = nothing to offer in discovery = nothing to tie her down on = nothing to impeach her on = she can just make up her carp on the fly.

But the problem for the defense is twofold: She can still be impeached on her notes and JM has turned the tables on ALV. He knows her notes better than she does and is catching her in lies left and right. (BTW I LOVED the question today that started with IIRC "Don't even remember that in your notes you said...".)

One question for everyone... If she had a report it would be marked as an exhibit and the jury would have it available I believe. I don't think her notes are an exhibit - is that correct? If so, does it mean Juan can use them for impeachment but the jury can't go fishing through them? And is he able to use her notes as a normal course of action with "experts" or was that some special ruling from the judge to pull them in lieu of her having produced some final product (i.e. a report)?
She told Juan yesterday or Monday she had No Report! How shifty is that? :furious:

Answer: Yes

Source: Jodi Ann Arias, Purveyor of "Credible" information, according to Alyce LaViolette

Yes he was a Vampire Hunter, or yes he was a Vampire? I mean, I'm trying not to die laughing either way, but I just have to know. Talk about dorky.

I've never seen KN more disinterested in being there than today. I would love to have a drink with him off the record about all this.

Me too! I just have to give him a break. He has been dressing better and looked nice the past couple of days. I hate what JA is doing to Travis's family and his memory however, KN wanted off this case. He actually tried more than once to remove himself. I don't know how many of you all have experienced just a regular trial, not a high profile one. It is exhausting as our wonderful observers have kept us posted on and the are just observing. As a lawyer who has just gone out on his own trying to keep his other clients happy, being tied up with this travesty of a court case, and then his family obligations. I do feel for him and all of the ethical standards that he has to meet while defending JA to the best of his ability. I know he is getting compensated by the state but as an example look how many pro bono attorney's picked up JB slack in that other trial. Where there isn't that type of circus atmosphere her yet. With that said I would want JM to be the prosecution if I ever was a victim and I do realize he is so brilliant that he can and does do it alone. He really is astounding.

If she gets the death penalty, then she will be in isolation. She can sing and talk to herself, and when she finishes with that, then she can do headstands.

Scott Peterson is on death row and I believe he has a TV in his cell, anyone know for sure? TIA

JM has hammered this witness on her objectivity. When she continually attempts to give answers far afield of what the prosecutor is asking her she is again pointing out to the jury how willing she is to cling to her belief in the liar. I hope this gives the jury cause to throw out all of her testimony as just another liar in the liar's den that is JA's defense.

And on top of that, JW is telegraphing to the jury by her most animated objections and sidebars that she's trying to keep something devastating from coming in. So even if it is sustained, the jury ends up thinking she's hiding the truth.

They thought no report would be so convenient but Juan cleaned her cluttered mouth pretty well today!

Wait a minute, most of today was done out of the presence of the jury? I'm watching the youtube videos with no sidebars.

That's the edited version. David thoughtfully edits out the sidebars.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so regarding that pic that was taken..... Of them having lunch..

is that allowed?

what if Alice is removed from giving testimony? Would there not be a mistrial? Or would court be put on hold in order to find a new Alice?
"a new Alyce" lol

I honestly d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members