Trial Delayed until at least January

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NCEast, thank you. How would someone get this info to the DA's office?

I can't remember where you are so if you call just ask to speak to Becky Holt's secretary. Go over the details with her including the links, etc. This is something they should have done at the time of the murder. I am just now getting back on here so I don't know if anybody else answered or not. I hope this is info is something that will throw a kink in the defense's case.

Certainly he could refuse -- all he would have to say is, "Denied. Call your first witness." Or the DT could simply say, "Your Honor, the defense rests," and let the jury have it after the closing arguments. If the DT feels the PT's case is that weak, why bother to waste everyone's time? At least that would give them the last word in closing. Then to the jury it goes... Heck, it might be worth a try. Who knoze??

My point was in reference to a directed verdict by the Judge on the jury's behalf. I think if the DT feels their client is not only innocent but also has been railroaded, they'll put on a case in order to publicly expose the parties involved.

JMO

I can understand the investigators going into depth with the sister. She found the body and I think that's pretty routine to investigate the person who found the body.

But the rock? Pure desperation bordering on the pathetic. I was shocked they went ahead and entered it into evidence and had Mr. Hicks look at it as though he could positively identify it.

JMO

I'm watching it right now ... having the hotel employee open an envelope filled with a random rock ... what exactly is the jury supposed to gain from that! It's completely absurd.

If investigators were testing random rocks and treating the victim's sister as a suspect, they really had no evidence whatsoever. Even if Jason's fingerprints were found on a rock, what does that prove? It would prove that he touched a rock at the hotel ... nothing more, nothing less ... meaningless.

It does in the context of things. Again, taking the whole, not just the bits and pieces.
However, I'm tired and maybe my thoughts are running together or are abstract right now.
Just as in the BC trial, I welcome any information from the non-guilty folks because it makes me think, and at times re-think, things. This appears to be a crappy situation with respect to no dna evidence left at the scene, CSI and various other tv shows have created a situation in which we feel that things are much more simple or easier than they really are at times. But I do recall that the water hose in their back yard was left running--this is where I think he 'showered' after killing MY and left the water running to wash away any evidence and blood. None of this has anything to do with the rock, so sorry. I'm old--my only excuse.

Otto, glad I could step up and end your waiting. :)

Seriously though, can you give me a scenario where it would make sense that JY would have put the day old newspaper back in perfect order and place it in the back of his SUV instead of just taking it back upstairs with him?

JY wasn't exactly known for his neatness. Just take a look at his computer room at home. The computer room's condition is in great contrast to the neatness of the rest of the house.

Pictures 35 and 36.
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/image_gallery/9727548/

Some people are weird about their newspapers. I'm one of those people. When I'm done reading the paper front to back, I put it all back in order in case someone else wants to read it ... crazy but true. If I'm reading a paper that someone else read first, I put it all back in order before I read it. It has very little to do with whether someone has a messy desk ... my desk is currently messy ... but I still neurotically reassemble the paper after reading it.

Didn't he have to get his charger from the vehicle? That would be a good time to toss the paper into the back of the car ... maybe his stepfather would be interested in reading it ... hard to say why he tossed it in the back of his vehicle.

He could just as easily have tossed it in the trash can near the exit, but he didn't.

I was waiting for someone to step up and question the value of the newspaper. I rather doubt the prosecution sees it as meaning anything one way or the other and I doubt any jury would weigh someone's guilt based on whether they looked at the newspaper at midnight.

ITA. That newspaper has no evidentiary value to those who are football fans keeping track of game outcomes and conference standings. The prosecution team might have someone who does it and so could the jury.

JMO

So the third shift night audit guy was doing his paperwork starting at midnight. He has the camera feed in the office, where there is a four screen split switching between 10 cameras. He noticed that the screen was blank between 4 and 5 (he first said this) or 3:30 and 4 (he later said this). If the camera was unplugged at midnight, why didn't he notice it for 4 or 5 hours when the camera feed was in the office with him?

The issue with the newspaper, specifically, is that JY put importance on it himself. He could have just said he went outside to smoke a cigar and came back in. But that newspaper was in his car and he felt like he needed to explain it. So he made up a lie about how he was reading sports scores outside, smoking a cigar, in 32 degree windy conditions.

His story. He pointed the finger himself at that newspaper. And his story doesn't work.

Some people are weird about their newspapers. I'm one of those people. When I'm done reading the paper front to back, I put it all back in order in case someone else wants to read it ... crazy but true. If I'm reading a paper that someone else read first, I put it all back in order before I read it. It has very little to do with whether someone has a messy desk ... my desk is currently messy ... but I still neurotically reassemble the paper after reading it.

Didn't he have to get his charger from the vehicle? That would be a good time to toss the paper into the back of the car ... maybe his stepfather would be interested in reading it ... hard to say why he tossed it in the back of his vehicle.

He could just as easily have tossed it in the trash can near the exit, but he didn't.

I'm just not buying that in the case of JY. He went to get his charger around 11:20 (the same time the security camera was unplugged). He went to the front desk to get the paper at midnight (the same time he left to murder Michelle).
The reason that paper is in the back of his SUV looking unread is because he threw it back there when he went to get in his vehicle to leave and head back to Raleigh.
One can make up excuses for all the oddities that happened concerning JY that night and the next day, but logic says that there are too many coincidences for them to really be coincidences.

It does in the context of things. Again, taking the whole, not just the bits and pieces.
However, I'm tired and maybe my thoughts are running together or are abstract right now.
Just as in the BC trial, I welcome any information from the non-guilty folks because it makes me think, and at times re-think, things. This appears to be a crappy situation with respect to no dna evidence left at the scene, CSI and various other tv shows have created a situation in which we feel that things are much more simple or easier than they really are at times. But I do recall that the water hose in their back yard was left running--this is where I think he 'showered' after killing MY and left the water running to wash away any evidence and blood. None of this has anything to do with the rock, so sorry. I'm old--my only excuse.

Okay ... so the jury can see what type of rock was left in the door at some point during the night. There's nothing to connect it to Jason, but at least they know the night audit guy is telling the truth about the type of rock he found.

Can we really expect that Jason would go outside in November, strip down and have a shower under the garden hose when he could have a shower in his home? His daughter was apparently cleaned up, so why wouldn't he clean up inside as well. It doesn't make much sense that he would shiver in the middle of the night under the garden hose when he didn't need to. I think what has happened is that the outside hose was left running and that doesn't make sense, so now we have to say that Jason took a shower in November outside with the garden hose instead of in the house. If he did that, then presumably he went back into the house and got dressed. It doesn't make sense to me.

<modsnip>

I don't think anyone would fault investigators for not testing all the rocks outside a hotel side door. Even if there was a rock with Jason's fingerprints, it would not prove anything. If the rock that was found in the door was collected as evidence and tested before anyone kicked it, sure, then it means something, but not if it's lying with a bunch of other rocks.

Okay ... so the jury can see what type of rock was left in the door at some point during the night. There's nothing to connect it to Jason, but at least they know the night audit guy is telling the truth about the type of rock he found.

Can we really expect that Jason would go outside in November, strip down and have a shower under the garden hose when he could have a shower in his home? His daughter was apparently cleaned up, so why wouldn't he clean up inside as well. It doesn't make much sense that he would shiver in the middle of the night under the garden hose when he didn't need to. I think what has happened is that the outside hose was left running and that doesn't make sense, so now we have to say that Jason took a shower in November outside with the garden hose instead of in the house. If he did that, then presumably he went back into the house and got dressed. It doesn't make sense to me.

We all know that LE/CSI folks can test drain residue and if any of his blood or skin cells were washed down the drain mixed with MY's blood he would not have had a way to explain it. That's why he washed off outside and left the water hose running. Knowing how kinky he was I don't think that being stripped in 32 degree weather would have bothered him--especially if his adrenaline was running high--which I am certain it was after a 15 minute killing spree.

There's nothing to connect it to Jason,

Nothing...except.... 3 alliels of DNA found on that rock that match JY. Not a definitive match, but not nothing either.

I'm just not buying that in the case of JY. He went to get his charger around 11:20 (the same time the security camera was unplugged). He went to the front desk to get the paper at midnight (the same time he left to murder Michelle).
The reason that paper is in the back of his SUV looking unread is because he threw it back there when he went to get in his vehicle to leave and head back to Raleigh.
One can make up excuses for all the oddities that happened concerning JY that night and the next day, but logic says that there are too many coincidences for them to really be coincidences.

Where did you read that the camera was unplugged at 11:20?

I'm watching it right now ... having the hotel employee open an envelope filled with a random rock ... what exactly is the jury supposed to gain from that! It's completely absurd.

It's absurd but also surprising that the DA's office thinks the jury would fall for it.

At this point, I'm really wondering if the corruption was just within the crime lab.

JMO

Ok, I'm mixed up. Was it a rock or a stick that he left in the door?

We all know that LE/CSI folks can test drain residue and if any of his blood or skin cells were washed down the drain mixed with MY's blood he would not have had a way to explain it. That's why he washed off outside and left the water hose running. Knowing how kinky he was I don't think that being stripped in 32 degree weather would have bothered him--especially if his adrenaline was running high--which I am certain it was after a 15 minute killing spree.

I don't know about that ... whomever attacked Michelle was probably wearing clothes, so the blood would have been on those clothes. If there was some blood on the attacker's hands and face, I suspect that would have washed away down the drain so far that no one would have found it. Furthermore, a mixture of blood or DNA from Jason and or Michelle in their own shower is meaningless. A stranger may have thought it was safer to wash up in the garden hose, but I don't see any reason for Jason to have done that.

Being drunk and peeing on people's carpets is quite different from being sober and having a shower under the garden hose in November. I think he would have been in need of a real shower with soap after a murder ... with all that adrenaline.

He said he put a twig in the door to prop it open.

However, a rock was found propping open the door.

It's absurd but also surprising that the DA's office thinks the jury would fall for it.

At this point, I'm really wondering if the corruption was just within the crime lab.

JMO

How else would you have the state introduce that piece of evidence and lay the foundation before the DNA testing results are presented from that rock?

Nothing...except.... 3 alliels of DNA found on that rock that match JY. Not a definitive match, but not nothing either.

I think 16 are needed ... isn't that closer to what is considered acceptable in a courtroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member