Trial Discussion Thread #21 - 14.04.09, Day 19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a person who is guilty of using the laughing emoticons, I unfortunately have to use it because some of OP's statements really are a joke and I just have to laugh at them. Sorry :seeya:

Each to their own. :)

Which ones in particular do you find a joke?

There have been some that made me :facepalm: or :waitasec:, sure, but :floorlaugh:? Not when the subject matter is as it is, I'm afraid!

The whole case to me is just sad. Everything about it makes my heart heavy. I don't feel sorry for Oscar Pistorius, more a disappointment. I remember wiping tears from my eyes watching him at the 2012 Olympics. To see anyone fall from grace so catastrophically is *tries to find the right word*...depressing? I don't know, there is a part of my brain that has a certain sadness for him, not empathy or sympathy, pity maybe. I certainly don't look at him vomiting, wailing in court and feel gleeful about it, put it that way.

My overwhelming feeling is of total sadness for June and Barry Steenkamp for the brutal loss of their only daughter. To me, her warmth and intelligence shines out every time her name is mentioned or one of her texts is read out to court. I am so sad for Reeva that she lost her life in such a way and at the hands of somebody she loved. I only hope she had little consciousness of all of it, I find thinking the contrary too difficult.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - and maybe I'm a little oversensitive, fine - I just don't get the :floorlaugh::floorlaugh: attitude about OP's being on the stand, I don't get the incredulity at his tears, I don't get the namecalling.

:dunno: It's just all sad. And please don't think I am sitting here playing tiny violins for Oscar.

This is his problem with him. He's thinking of him & the consequences, not the truth. His whole testimony has been manufactured to fit the evidence & occasionally little bits of the truth slip out before he can catch himself.

One of the many today: OP describing that his legs were on the right side of the bed! Love it!

BBM - There was plenty of relentless blood baying when the State witnesses gave evidence. Lots of mocking and sarcasm towards people who hadn't committed murder... and were just carrying out their civic duty by recalling the events of the night Oscar Pistorius murdered Reeva Steenkamp. But you'd never have known it if you'd read some of the posts. They were liars, conspirators and embellishers. If you find the comments about OP hard to follow, then I assume you must have missed all the derogatory posts about the innocent State witnesses.

I don't like blood baying of any sort, so I presumably did miss these comments.

Were they made on these threads? I can only assume they were made by people who are unfailingly supportive of OP?

I think it was a stupid thing to say. I read it as him being guarded and trying to make himself look better to the judge - but it likely had the opposite effect.

I think his whole story is a lie & he has now convinced himself that it's true, including emotions that go with that story. He only becomes distraught when he has to confront what he has done to Reeva & when he thinks of the consequences for himself.

When you listen to the killer's testimony, notice this:

There is a huge difference in how he answers questions about events after people showed up at his house. He is more matter of fact and composed.

When he's spinning his multiple versions of what happened when he was alone with Reeva, he's incredibly evasive, self-contradictory, and defensive.

Wonder why?

excellent point. imo

There have been some that made me :facepalm: or :waitasec:, sure, but :floorlaugh:? Not when the subject matter is as it is, I'm afraid!

The whole case to me is just sad. Everything about it makes my heart heavy. I don't feel sorry for Oscar Pistorius, more a disappointment. I remember wiping tears from my eyes watching him at the 2012 Olympics. To see anyone fall from grace so catastrophically is *tries to find the right word*...depressing? I don't know, there is a part of my brain that has a certain sadness for him, not empathy or sympathy, pity maybe. I certainly don't look at him vomiting, wailing in court and feel gleeful about it, put it that way.

My overwhelming feeling is of total sadness for June and Barry Steenkamp for the brutal loss of their only daughter. To me, her warmth and intelligence shines out every time her name is mentioned or one of her texts is read out to court. I am so sad for Reeva that she lost her life in such a way and at the hands of somebody she loved. I only hope she had little consciousness of all of it, I find thinking the contrary too difficult.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - and maybe I'm a little oversensitive, fine - I just don't get the :floorlaugh::floorlaugh: attitude about OP's being on the stand, I don't get the incredulity at his tears, I don't get the namecalling.

:dunno: It's just all sad. And please don't think I am sitting here playing tiny violins for Oscar.

I did the floorlaugh when OP said my life is on the line, of course I am thinking the consequences of my answers.

I don't have any affection to OP or RS coz I am not SA nor do I know much about them before the incident. I just knew about them on the news.

I know he is an idol to many people just like lance armstrong but some of his statements are a joke. Sorry.

I did the floorlaugh when OP said my life is on the line, of course I am thinking the consequences of my answers.

respectfully snipped

Yes I did a :facepalm: at that one. Not well thought out at all. His life is most definitely not on the line. eta maybe the life he envisioned is on the line - fast cars, women, parties, sponsorship deals. But not his basic life, something he denied Reeva.

Can I ask - telling the truth about what exactly?

In general? On specific points?

I don't want to come across as a supporter, because I am a fence sitter. My personal stance is that he is guilty of culpable homicide.

But so many posts here are 'LOL he is crumbling!', 'Nel is going to chew him up and spit him out!', hilarious laughing emoticons (I personally can't find the humour in any of it :twocents:) and talking about his constant lies, when I have yet to see one conclusive 'lie' - mistakes, inconsistencies, but no (as yet) straight up lies.. I'm not following so many posts because of the relentless blood baying here. Just me?

I totally agree with the line at the end.

As much as me and Mrs Stipp fell out I've never laughed and wished harm upon her.

Om a truly serious note though, there are a great many posts with some really valid points.
I read the post and am about to thank the person for that useful post, but I can't because there's quite often a vitriolic line at the end.
So by thanking them, I would be agreeing with the whole post. It does get to the point where you just don't read them.

There's only so many ways you can say you hate somebody or you wish revenge, or you wish them locked up for life, but hey, we all get the point.

Repeating it on every post doesn't make it any truer, and certainly doesn't make it a better read or a more useful post.

I think his whole story is a lie & he has now convinced himself that it's true, including emotions that go with that story. He only becomes distraught when he has to confront what he has done to Reeva & when he thinks of the consequences for himself.

I can appreciate your view, but I disagree with it. I don't believe that OP has convinced himself that his lies are true. I believe that he is simply lying in order to get away with murder. He knows what the truth is but refuses to admit it.

MOO

I don't like blood baying of any sort, so I presumably did miss these comments.

Were they made on these threads? I can only assume they were made by people who are unfailingly supportive of OP?
They were indeed made on these threads, and by people who claim not to be supporters of OP but who are just interested in the 'truth'. Mrs Stipp was crucified and mocked beyond belief, and the Burgers were accused of using things they heard in the media to concoct their story and therefore couldn't be trusted. I could go on, but the majority of comments were quite ugly. Probably good that you did miss them.

Fair enough. I think he's slowly hanging himself with his waffle and he's off to :jail:

Either that, or a secure unit in a psychiatric hospital. I don't see him getting off this with a slapped wrist.

I don't either

respectfully snipped

Yes I did a :facepalm: at that one. Not well thought out at all. His life is most definitely not on the line. eta maybe the life he envisioned is on the line - fast cars, women, parties, sponsorship deals. But not his basic life, something he denied Reeva.
Only his freedom is on the line, not his life. He has much more going for him than Reeva ever will, thanks directly to his actions. Andrew Harding from the BBC said that OP needed to take care not to make himself out to be the victim - as the victim was Reeva Steenkamp. I completely agree with that and sometimes think she's forgotten about in all this.

What good does it do to kick a door that swings open towards the outside instead of opening towards the inside? The door is not going to swing open after kicking it so why? Unless of course it was out of anger and/or to scare the person in the toilet room.

MOO

In case anyone uses my transcription for anything else, here's my corrected transcription:

OP: There were many topics that we’ve spoken about. There’s my upbringing …… (see SA language translation about a CV), there was my faith, there was the night,
um, (very quick stumble of timing) the morning in question…”

6.10 Pistorius: “So, I’ve been sitting here and I’ve been telling the truth. And some of the things we spoke about, obviously I wouldn’t know about phone calls made from other people. So, some if it is a reconstruction from what I’d read, from what I’ve recorded and what the state has furnished me with. So, it’s a mixture of what I remember, and in some of the topics and in some of the points that would be a reconstruction. But, if I look at the time I can’t remember how much time, certain things took me that evening. But I can see from the times of the phone calls being made that people’s testimony and statements, not out of just the couple that the state called, but out of the hundred and plus witnesses that the state said they had, I’ve read most of those and all of those statements and that’s how I’ve reconstructed some time. Some of the things I remember shows I have reconstructed some time. Some of the things I remember, that I’ve spoken about myself, that I’ve spoke about what I recommended in the situations I’ve spoken about…in context of, information that I have."

Pistorius is: Dissembling

LMAO, it's even funnier written down

Huge difference in Stipp and OP's circumstances.

OP's instinct is to lie, deny and blame - anything other than accept.

How long did it take Nel to get him to admit he'd killed Reeva?

"I made a mistake"............ ????

A mistake? Is there any other word he could have used to minimise the murder even further? I think not.

I agree that there's a difference - Mrs. Stipp was clearly lying (or she was tricked by the police into signing a statement that they fudged) and Oscar's was an in-artful use of words that has now been clarified - no reason for him to contradict himself and give a different version now. It's not like he totally made up seeing a person that he didn't see.

Yes, it was a mistake to shoot through the door - he mistakenly believed it to be an intruder. That ain't murder. Is he minimizing it at times? YES, of course he is.

So eloquently stated. You captured how I'm feeling about all of this perfectly.

I disagree

I was referring to OP's claim that he tried to call for help using Reeva's phone but it was locked. I know that OP called Netcare.

It was an iphone. I'm trying to remember how mine worked. If you have a passcode on your phone, I think you have to enter the code to get to the keypad.

They were indeed made on these threads, and by people who claim not to be supporters of OP but who are just interested in the 'truth'. Mrs Stipp was crucified and mocked beyond belief, and the Burgers were accused of using things they heard in the media to concoct their story and therefore couldn't be trusted. I could go on, but the majority of comments were quite ugly. Probably good that you did miss them.

I do not remember Mrs. Stipp being mocked. Maybe I'll go back and read through the thread she appeared in but she was neither crucified nor mocked, <modsnip>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18