Trial Discussion Thread #39 - 14.05.14 Day 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that after a couple of meetings with the psychiatric team as an out patient that the team themselves request that he comes in as an in patient?

Now OP has the time and opportunity to come up with some sort of new angle which of course will involve new testimony about poor OP and his GAD. Bottom line is he's a liar and he's going to keep lying if he thinks it will help.

I know, I know, I'm just repeating the obvious. Don't mind me I had to rant just a bit :sigh:

'outpatient' .. give me bluddy strength :banghead:

You know, I think the judge is buying all his 'intruder' crap.

From Nel's arguments for the order yesterday I think the State is too. And the State has still not explained the first set of bangs nor a man screaming "help, help, help" that quite a few witnesses heard between the first and second set of bangs all of which is, looking at it coldly, is really quite difficult to tally up unless his version is the truth. And, I am not saying OP is innocent of killing Reeva nor that he shouldn't be punished, unless he was in a state of temporary "insanity" at the time that would completely annul his criminal responsibility, nor am I an "oscar supporter", merely someone with a passion for justice and law.

As an outpatient, does he get to be evaluated for the same length of time? I mean, is the only difference that he'd sleep at Uncle Arnold's house but attend hospital for the rest of each day?

Dewani's attorney has just complained his client only gets seen for 30 mins at a time, so I am kind of doubting he will have to attend all day, myself.

Unless they work like some UK hospital outpatient depts, where you just have to wait for hours and hours to be seen....

When someone poses a danger to the community aren't they put in jail until verdict? His psychiatrist said he was dangerous.

Agreed but don't worry this thing really isn't about the psych test. This is all tactics. OP can have a few more days of freedom and he is definitely going to jail :)

I agree with Masipa's curiosity - "Strangely the defense opposes this..."

I truly believe they are opposing it because the intense psych eval is going to now be a part of the official record and I believe it is NOT going to bode well for Oscar at all. I've got a good hunch he is going to be found to have extreme narcissistic tendencies.
Me too! I've never seen the State pursue an independent psych exam of a defendant midtrial - have you? (Just adding what I'd already had typed out below so if it seems disjointed, that's why...)

My mental health nurse husband said that IF Oscar really is mentally ill, it's highly disturbing that his team was fighting this.

I think that about says it all. Usually it's the defence to petition the court for such an assessment and often pretrial. Almost any mental health illness can be argued for the accused's benefit - so why didn't, why wouldn't, his defence team fully endorse this?

My thinking, honestly, is that there is either nothing wrong with him and they're concerned they'll lose the testimony to bolster putative, which means we're back to the only evidence for putative is from Oscar's mouth - and his testimony does not prove his claim...or there's something 'worse' with him that also can't be considered to be remotely helpful to his defence.

MOO

*swearing* on this side of the world
He's just scored himself a bloody 30 day holiday!

Yep, I'm really cross about this. I'm sick of this vile man being treated with kid gloves. I know that it needs to be shown that he is receiving a fair trial but this is going well beyond that, imo.

Another defense witness destroyed by Nel... I was surprised the judge went with Nel I didn't think she would
As an outpatient he will be seen quickly due to around 6 months waiting list for a hospital bed

I don't think so...she is just covering her bases - she has been doing it all trial.

This outpatient thingy is fine for her...these are minor points for her...I think she is gonna go down hard on OP when the verdict comes.

Sincerely hope you are right, wb.

That's a blow. And I don't really see how he can be acurately assessed as an outpatient.

I agree with Masipa's curiosity - "Strangely the defense opposes this..."

I truly believe they are opposing it because the intense psych eval is going to now be a part of the official record and I believe it is NOT going to bode well for Oscar at all. I've got a good hunch he is going to be found to have extreme narcissistic tendencies.

You've called I right so far.
Nel has played a blinder, even with the outpatients out come. It will certainly effect the final judgement and any appeal that OP may ( Finance's depending) request.

Thanks everyone for the updates. Didn't think Judge would go for it but so be it.

Emily Smith ‏@EmilySmithCNN 1h
Ever wonder about the notes #OscarPistorius takes during the #OscarTrial? Take a look - pic.twitter.com/QaJ3g9kGyT

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnlEQEZIAAAP_q7.jpg

How interesting. It's a doodle. He looks like he might have some artistic talent.

But look at the rigidly controlled framing of it.....perfect straight lines. That's unusual, I think.

ETA: On all but one side. The 'free' side has something sharpish and ugly, breaking out...

Another defense witness destroyed by Nel... I was surprised the judge went with Nel I didn't think she would
As an outpatient he will be seen quickly due to around 6 months waiting list for a hospital bed

I suspect that they'd find him a bed in a hurry if need be.

9.24am BST

What needs to be decided by Tuesday?

State and defence teams will need to decide which hospital he will be treated at, and whether the chosen institution has space for him. They will be mindful of any further delays to the trial – the observation would generally last 30 days,
but there might be a waiting period before treatment can start.

Judge Masipa indicated she was sympathetic to the defence request that Pistorius should be treated as an outpatient. Waiting times for an inpatient place in a psychiatric hospital can be several months, South African media reports.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/oscar-pistorius-trial-judge-mental-health-live

Yep, so not only does OP have another 30 day holiday having the assessment done on an outpatient basis .. they're not finalising the order until next Tuesday (why???) .. so that's another week's holiday for him .. then they may not be able to start the treatment/assessment until after another lengthy waiting period .. so yet another holiday for OP. He could end up having another 6 months to a year out on bail at this rate .. and a possible two years freedom since the night he killed Reeva.

What if it backfires on Nel? What happens if OP convinces the doctors that he is anxious, scared, fearful, cannot help but be afraid all of the time. Is paralyzed with fear, in fact. Will that affect the outcome?

Does any know where I could find a transcript of the judges remarks today? I would love to revisit it and digest it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper