Trial Discussion Thread #39 - 14.05.14 Day 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we need to remember that at this stage the judge is just 'taking it all in'. OP has given his version of events which was then bolstered somewhat (in terms of his actions/reactions) by the evidence of the psychiatrist. That doesn't mean that she and her assessors are going to 'buy' that version when they come to their deliberations, just that they must consider it along with all the other evidence. Remember what retired Judge Greenland said - it's not just coming up with a (barely IMO) believable story, as that verson will either stand or fall on OP's perceived truthfulness along with the evidence of independent witnesses who heard a woman screaming.

Is that really OP sketching something? What is that he is drawing? It does not look like a gun to my eyes. At first it appeared to be anatomical, but probably not. What is it?

I have no idea what OP was drawing, but the sharp curved object just reminded me of a trigger on a gun. I was just being sarcastic, lol!

Is that really OP sketching something? What is that he is drawing? It does not look like a gun to my eyes. At first it appeared to be anatomical, but probably not. What is it?

ONLY the Psychiatrists will ever know ( coupled with half the world media)

.....audible, maniacal laughter from the cheap seats at the 'facility".

Who is 'AnneMarie'? My brain cells are dying at an alarming rate due to the stress of following all this!

AnneMarie is the ex wife of the surgeon who amputated his legs, she barged into the bail hearing, saying she had a dream where OPs late mother talked to her, saying OP needed a psychiatric assessment.

Wierd huh! It's come true.

Who is 'AnneMarie'? My brain cells are dying at an alarming rate due to the stress of following all this!

She's the ex-wife of the surgeon who amputated OP's lower legs and also the same woman who has twice tried to get the court to have OP evaluated, once at his bail hearing and again at the beginning of trial. Something that even Roux wasn't in favour of, which to me points to Roux not believing that there was anything "wrong" with his own client that required it, even though he has now decided to put it forth as a last resort instead of using it strictly for mitigation purposes. As for whether Roux was blindsided, I don't think so(lawyers love to act, just look at Oldwage). I think he's hoping there will be enough to get his client a free walk, as in diminished responsibility, but not serious enough to get him committed for possibly the rest of his life.

What I want to know, would this diminished responsibility also get him off on the gun and ammo charges?

Spin, spin, spin. Yesterday it was a joke, today it's wonderful and reassuring news. Everything's going fine for OP. If he keeps on saying it someone out there might believe it...

but the 'everything is fine', is not coming directly from op.

the recurring theme:

petulant, uncontrolled outbursts by op. followed by reassuring soothing and apologies by others. op doesn't make the apologies.

outbursts:
starting with the party/door/damages incident; the rant at the brazilian [london 2012]; to the police [gun/sunroof incident]; marc batchelor; in public towards reeva; to myers; to the press yesterday; ...

the soothers/apologists:
circle of friends to cover/take the rap
public relations agency
lawyers
psychologist
uncle arnold/family
and also reeva...

The fact that the judge on her own has introduced mental defect as a possible defense is a huge win for the defense. Like it or not.
I think the key words in your post Carmelita is 'possible defense'. She will look at all the evidence and very little of that has been in OP's favour. This question of his GAD is just one of many aspects in the trial.

Pistorius family statement

Arnold Pistorius says the family is "comforted" by the judge's decision to refer Oscar Pistorius for psychiatric assessment:

This is about a fair trial.

The decision gives the family "confidence" in the justice system. The judge was "thorough", he says.

Source: The Guardian

I have no idea what OP was drawing, but the sharp curved object just reminded me of a trigger on a gun. I was just being sarcastic, lol!

Silly people, he's passing the popcorn... :drumroll:

She's the ex-wife of the surgeon who amputated OP's lower legs and also the same woman who has twice tried to get the court to have OP evaluated, once at his bail hearing and again at the beginning of trial. Something that even Roux wasn't in favour of, which to me points to Roux not believing that there was anything "wrong" with his own client that required it, even though he has now decided to put it forth as a last resort instead of using it strictly for mitigation purposes. As for whether Roux was blindsided, I don't think so(lawyers love to act, just look at Oldwage). I think he's hoping there will be enough to get his client a free walk, as in diminished responsibility, but not serious enough to get him committed for possibly the rest of his life.

What I want to know, would this diminished responsibility also get him off on the gun and ammo charges?

bbm. if that is indeed the strategy, it will require the highest of highwire balancing acts.

it didn't look to me as though roux was arguing because he didn't think there was anything wrong with op, it looked like he was extremely worried about what would be discovered under a 30 day assessment.

Pistorius family statement

Arnold Pistorius says the family is "comforted" by the judge's decision to refer Oscar Pistorius for psychiatric assessment:

This is about a fair trial.

The decision gives the family "confidence" in the justice system. The judge was "thorough", he says.

Source: The Guardian
In other words....

Can I get my guns back Judge?

Do I drive Oscar...or will there be a driver for Oscar to the facility daily?

As this is court appointed, who pays for the daily outpatient transportation, from home to facility?

Will this be a 9am- 5pm Mon thru Wednesday order; or full Sun thru Sat request?

My Lady?

No, but the point is that it is now being used as his defence .. that he shot Reeva because he had GAD (and therefore perceived her to be an intruder, because of his GAD). That is what this referral/assessment is all about .. it's not to try and determine his overall mental condition, it's to determine whether he did in fact have GAD at the time he shot through that door.

The referral ensures that he has three independent additional psychiatric reviews. Each psychiatrist will do a full work up. This will include OP's personal safety and any factors which may have resulted in diminished capacity. Dr Vorster introduced a psychiatric disorder but his whole psychological profile is to be explored in much greater depth, and not only just over two assessments. IMO all of the assessment findings will be welcomed in court, not just those related to the GAD issue. I doubt the judge will discard all of their additional findings and only concentrate on one specific diagnosis, my impression is that all thorough experts' opinions are welcomed in court. Whether this is a good thing for the defence or not depends on whether OP has diminished capacity. I don't think so and neither does the DT.

The fact that the judge on her own has introduced mental defect as a possible defense is a huge win for the defense. Like it or not.

LOL virtually all experts believe this is a no lose situation for the state and a dicey one for the defence, the defence fiercely opposed this, Roux was very clearly furious, but yet you call it a huge win for the defense.
Verdict = Pistorian.

Yea when I first looked I was following you. It resembled a fancy shotgun or rifle. But the trigger was too oddly designed. So I looked again and it almost seemed anatomical, like a knee or elbow, but there were again too many odd things about it to match up with that. It's probably something related to science fiction, an alien weapon or something. I would still love to know.

Perhaps OP will do a John Gacy and become a prison artist. If he draws evil clowns though, I will personally go to the prison and break his hands! :smile:

In other words....

Can I get my guns back Judge?

Do I drive Oscar...or will there be a driver for Oscar to the facility daily?

As this is court appointed, who pays for the daily outpatient transportation, from home to facility?

Will this be a 9am- 5pm Mon thru Wednesday order; or full Sun thru Sat request?

My Lady?

Someone on Oscar Radio says Roux won't be getting any fees during the 30 day period so I'd guess it's the court who has to pay.

I meant specifically the shouting for help. I shouldn't have used the word 'scream', sorry for the confusion.

Iirc wasn't it Burger who, under pressure from Roux to explain it, suggested it could have been in mocking due to how the man's voice called it, to which Roux got all angry birdish and changed the subject.

.. and from another link connected to that .. isn't it lovely to see OP looking so relaxed and happy in court (8 May) .. awwww ..

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2014-05-08-pistorius-trial-week-seven-day-three/#.U3NNunY8dEs

706x410q70oscar-73.jpg

ETA .. pass the green bucket someone, please ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper