Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really unimpressed with the DT saying so categorically that he'll be out in ten. Even if he's eligible for early release to house arrest after that time, it's not up to the DT! So arrogant.

I believe it the verdict is changed by the Appeal Court (dolus eventualis) then Masipa will be doing the sentencing again (just based on a new verdict)?

No. If Masipa grants leave to appeal it can either be heard by a full bench (3 judges) of the High Court (and Masipa would not be one of them) or it could go straight to the Supreme Court of Appeal and be heard by 3-5 judges.

I'm still going to be sticking around, because there are still discussions to be had about the evidence that we know of, plus also I don't believe this is the end of it, there absolutely has to be an appeal by the PT on the conviction.

Hi jay jay, agree. As I just joined in, I will be around at least every once a while. Guess there will be some kind of thread where we can still post.

i think the sentencing witnesses were crucial. Vergeer and Maringa were truly dreadful, and were shredded by Nel, while Martin and Modese were sound.

That just reminded of "Mr. Dixon, are you a sound expert?" And Nel’s face when Dixon answered :)

Prosecution not going to appeal the sentance but the actual charge op ch is one they may pursue

The reason for this is because if a full bench of the High Court or the Supreme Court of Appeal set aside the CH conviction, they may well change the verdict to one of murder and an accompanying higher sentence.

No. If Masipa grants leave to appeal it can either be heard by a full bench (3 judges) of the High Court (and Masipa would not be one of them) or it could go straight to the Supreme Court of Appeal and be heard by 3-5 judges.

Yes, I know - the verdict. But what about the sentencing? If the verdict gets changed (dolus eventualis) it will go back to Masipa for a new sentence.
The sentencing is not going to be appealed - the verdict is.

That just reminded of "Mr. Dixon, are you a sound expert?" And Nel’s face when Dixon answered :)
Yes, one of the very few genuinely funny moments of the trial, along with 'my eyes were my instruments' or some such guff he came out with...

Or rather - is Carl Pistorius trying to START a fight with Donald Trump now?

See, I knew Uncle Arnold forgot to tell Carl and Aimee about the Pistorius family wanting 'privacy and dignity'.

Why the heck would a person pick a fight with Donald Trump unless they wanted to be in the public eye and media, especially in the US?

lol. such a brilliant moment. I'm laughing now just thinking about it.

today should be Reeva's day and these moments of light relief remind us what a happy person she used to be

Why the heck would a person pick a fight with Donald Trump unless they wanted to be in the public eye and media, especially in the US?

Because Trump called Masipa a moron.

Trump: The judge in the Oscar Pistorious case is a total moron. She said he didn't act like a killer. This is another O.J. disaster!

September 12th

Or rather - is Carl Pistorius trying to START a fight with Donald Trump now?

As I said earlier, 'not the ticket' is Carl P. He doesn't know how to express himself, or what he thinks or feels, just a pile of religious quotes, or retweeting someone elses thoughts. He's an empty man.

I hope so. Even though I don't want to follow any new trials I've invested enough time in this one to want to continue following developments. 'Oscar in strife again with warden' or 'Oscar's prison romances exposed' - that kind of thing. And besides, like LemonMousse, I've become strangely attached to Carl Pistorius' tweets!

BIB Same here :winkaway:

Every time I wonder if it is my lack of understanding english, or lack of intelligence - just some posts are SOOOO weird. Just see his last one . . . eternity :waitasec:

@carlpistorius : Buddy, your self righteousness or money wont save you @realDonaldTrump - time to consider eternity.

"Pistorius' defense lawyer Barry Roux said he expected the jailed athlete to serve only 10 months of the five-year sentence behind bars, and the remainder under house arrest.

However, South Africa's state prosecuting authority disputed this opinion, saying Pistorius was likely to serve at least a third of his sentence in prison - effectively 20 months".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/21/us-safrica-pistorius-idUSKCN0IA0L720141021

I know most of us are appalled to hear that OP might serve only 10 months behind bars. However, according to Roux's calculations, even if Masipa gave the maximum 15 year sentence, OP would be out in 30 months! The whole thing is crazy.

Well, I just hope Nel is correct, and OP will serve at least a third of his sentence in prison. Whew.

I suspect the defense is releazing there is no point in them appealing because they got off easy and rather than have OP worry on the outside waiting his appeal, it is best to just get him behind bars to begin his term and get out ASAP on house arrest.

It makes no sense to appeal for defense because he has a chance being out sooner than waiting on any appeals.

The reason the defence won't appeal is because they run the risk of the verdict and sentence being set aside and a finding of dolus eventualis made which carries a higher sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214